How are phone companies so autistic that none of them up til now ever thought of such a simple mechanism to have a...

How are phone companies so autistic that none of them up til now ever thought of such a simple mechanism to have a metal phone with a removable battery? There is literally no excuse now.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasket
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So they can scam you out of shekels, that's the main reason

Apple

How does wireless charging work?

>How does wireless charging work?
Step 1: Open back cover.
Step 2: Take out battery.
Step 3: Put in fresh battery.
Step 4: Close back cover.

Wireless.

is it a false assumption that LG have a strange design language but do overall astoundingly well on all budget targets?

because the target group doesn't give a shit?

>metal phone
You do realize how radio frequencies work, right?

magnets

i've recently got to tinker though with 2 different priced LG phones from 2016 and they exceeded in OS optimisation and battery.

i will get an lg g5 tommorow to make further investigations on who'm to support in the next years.

i tried many phone vendors, but LG seems to be ultimately the best vendor to support latest technologies and playfull thinking, not scared about design choices at all.

if you buy Samsung, you support proprietary SoC and OS language. if Samsung really knew how to do it, they would make you drop the android boat for tizen but they're scared because many have accustomed to android already and its name

if you buy huawei, you buy a proprietary SoC literally all the time, which is not a bad thing but this gives huawei less customisability and they also gain much control of you with that. the build quality of all phones aren't bad, don't take me wrong, but their mantra spills all over chinese overlords which want to dominate

HTC is pretty nice but they lack the technological advantages over other brands, the same as OnePlus and other phonevendors which do nice handsets with good specs but no outstanding features because every chinesemanufacteurer can achieve the same quality of parts nowadays, what matters in the end is the OS integration and optimisation which is done very differently on each vendor.

if you have got an iphone, well you've got an iphone. it speaks for itself what you support with their ideology of "make everything wireless under our proprietary hood" and stuff

if i would wish for a vendor to come up internationally with some breakthrough phones, then it would be Sharp with their Aquos Crystal line which were truly revolutionary and still are in this day and age with the igzo 85% bezelratio panel and inductive audio through your cheekbones

sorry for the long post, i don't hate any single of those manufacteurers since they are supporting to make the phone sector grow day by day and big companies can introduce new technologies for everyone

What the fuck is wrong with an external antenna? a really small nubby one? huh? don't try and pull some Apple bullshit on me about it's not progressive enough.

many phones are mostly metal.
Look at the htc one m7

My point was that phone manufacturers have been using the "muh premium feel," meme, i.e. metal/glass body as an excuse to not have removable batteries.

The problem is you wouldn't need just one little nubby antenna, you'd need at least 2 for WLAN, probably 2 for cellular, one for Bluetooth, etc.

i'm no engineer but i believe there's more to it than just rooting an antenna to a nub

Pretty much this. Hardly anyone realizes the enormous complexity of mobile handsets, and the huge number of design decisions and tradeoffs that have to be made to optimize some combination of BOM cost, manufacturing cost, R&D cost, technical specifications, size, form factor, and thousands of other more subtle things.

Everyone just wants a phone that fits their ideal which "obviously" is the best recipe for a mass-market device that actually has to be manufacturable and will sell.

Because apple doesn't do it.

stupidest fucking design I've ever seen, that shit can easily snap off

What? All phones have a removable battery. Iphones are harder to open, I suppose, but most others. Have you never opened your phone for cleaning?

OP clearly means not needing tools to access the battery.

one of the most obvious main reasons are build size.
having a removable battery requires it to be in a shape humans are comfortable with.
most people don't care about a removable battery. but they care about the phones thickness. voila.

They don't care for your kind because your average retarded consumer puts on a case. Thinness? Size? Camera bump? No one cares because of fumble fingers keep buying what their contract allows.

Man, that is an interestingly written long post that I like. I wish there were more people like you on g

It's not a hinge. It's just the way he's holding it. The cover separates completely.

Well the V20 is as thin as the ports allow. So much for that excuse.

You, I like you

Holy shit user, kekked heartily.

god you make me miss my G3
i hate my s6 edge

REMOVE 3.5MM JACK
ITS SO HUGE

>supporting bootloops

Do you realise the amount of time and thoughts of seasoned experts that goes into designing every single phone?

You can't just fucking say "Hurr why didn't they make it like this" like it's that easy.

>not being able to maintain your phone via adb

you're not ready to own a phone to play with, get some mature iphone with broken ios10 update

You do realise all phones have a huge glass block in front of them, right?

My 6500 slide had a metal back cover and a removable battery

the G3 was awesome.

if i would have had a contract, i'd maybe get a motorola phone. i really like their current Moto Z line because of their slim design but they are mostly way to pricey for their actual value und don't really get adopted as much here in germany to make some good deals with private people (like craigslist)

>spring loaded battery slot so you can just swap batteries on the fly

They could even rig up a small internal battery to keep the phone powered during the swap. Why isn't this a thing?

Xperia X1 had a metal battery door as well

Hot-swappable battery. >20 seconds

G3 was the worst phone that I ever owned. It was a huge fucking mess, lag at all times, shit battery even with a 6000mAh extended battery, and would always have issues.
Upgraded to a Note 5 and I am never getting an LG, they always come up with issues.

every phone vendor has issues, especially when you look into the history like you do now

the lg g3 was good at the time though, i had a friend who used one while i had a oneplus one. the g3 felt greatly advanced over the oneplus one phone. i didn't use the g3 as a daily driver though. but 2014 was just another year of smartphone compromises here and there.

now in 2016 we really get to see good phones because almost every major vendor now had a nexus phone and knows how to optimise their system for the people

>V10 was nice plastic and steel
>V20 is cheap aluminium
>both so expensive that Pajeets can't afford them so there are no ROMs

kek
When will lagdroids just work? Never ever

10/10

I, too, love my smartphone with the fucking metal screen.

Idiot.

>I, too, love my smartphone with the fucking metal screen.
>You do realise all phones have a huge glass block in front of them, right?
So you always have the face of your phone pointed towards the nearest cellular tower?

Nothing about a mobile system is directional, and waves tend to bounce off things. Hence why passive radar is a thing.

You can't have a removeable battery if the phone is made of metal and is also waterproof.

You also have to consider that these phones have to look pleasing and good otherwise people won't buy them. Phone makers don't give a shit what some fat neckbeard like you thinks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasket

That's the problem though. The exact problem that iPhone had, the exact reason why we have antenna bands.

It NEEDS to be omnidirectional, which is why just having the signal being able to leave the screen isn't effective.
Yes, waves tend to bounce off things, they also tend to lose energy when they do, some of it being absorbed, so your signal from the tower is going to be fucking shit if it can't enter your device from the most direct line, and same for the transmission to the tower.

Fuck, just holding an iPhone6S on the other side of your head can cut your signal strength in half.

This is only a problem if companies put weak-ass shit and little antennas inside.
There's no problem only having a single direction if your shit is designed well

>There is literally no excuse now.

The excuse is that if the battery is not removable, they can get you to buy a complete new $500 phone once the battery craps out.

>they can get you to buy a complete new $500 phone once the battery craps out.
Only if you are utterly stupid, user.
Like you, for instance.

Exhibit 1: Google's Eris.

I was really hoping lg would add a lense cover to this phone.... I really wanted a fucking lense cover.. Other than that it really looks perfect..

>implying adb fixes anything
>he didn't have to deal with the godawful lg flash tool

can't imagine my Note 4 would be that much thinner if the thin back didn't pop off. Also my battery died after about a year (would start cutting off at 15% and got worse) but get on Amazon and order a new one and I was good to go! What if I got a Note 7 and the battery did the same? (Not blowing up, so we know the battery is fine) Heck most warranties wouldn't even cover the battery not charging like it use to. So I can try and take it apart or send it to a repair shop (or order an LG...)

The problem is that the CPU wasn't powerful enough for that screen and it lagged because of this.

>What is a multiband antenna.

My laptop came with a 3cm^2 antenna on a pcb that does 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi. Bluetooth is 2.4GHz. So now you just need a cell antenna.

Honestly just use the case as the antenna. It's not that hard. It's not like the antennas that are in there now are high performance. Cell phone radio relies on the communications being extremely short distance or short distance with a really good antenna connected to a really good radio on a really high tower. A 100 dollar hand held transceiver puts it to shame.

>Do you realise the amount of time and thoughts of seasoned experts that goes into designing every single phone?

Do you realize what that time is spent on? Sabotaging a phone in a way that it dies after warranty in a way that you can plausibly deny is not trivial.

Oh you wrote the updated OS so it makes the phone unusable. They'll catch on if it keeps happening so so let's make the screen rot at just the right rate so it is unusable before the next generation. Oh you did the screen rot thing last generation? Well people will think you did it on purpose if it happens again so you better come up with a new scheme this year. Oh I know we'll make the battery worse so it's unusable until just after the warranty... we did it slightly wrong so now it explodes.

That's were the innovation happens. If the amount of money and genius that went in to planned obsolescence went in to say replacing oil we'd have self constructing dyson spheres around 10 stars by now.

>There's no problem only having a single direction if your shit is designed well
you don't seem to understand what antennae directionality is
a single direction antenna would require you to point the antenna towards the signal tower at all times

AHHH That is really cool though.

> (You)
>>What is a multiband antenna.
Things that require more complicated matching networks => higher BOM cost, greater PCB footprint.

if people are so funny about their phone shell, then why not pay someone to prefab you a case (literally wouldn't cost much at all) and then source the parts and make your own phone

>complicated matching networks
>complicated
found the brainlet

Never mind the fact that in real world use just about any piece of metal works as well as internal wifi antennas.

because they want to see you another phone in a year or two

wtf you carrying on about op? My 4 year old Galaxy S4 has a removable battery. I can pull the plastic back cover off within a second, replace the battery in two seconds, and put the cover back in within one more second.

If the feature was a big selling point, manufactures would keep doing it. Most people don't give a flying shit about a removable battery, hence why manufactures usually don't make them removable.

The there's the headache of 3rd party batteries and counterfeit batteries to fuck everything all up.

Lol. K, you use a piece of tin foil to connect to the cell tower. I like my data signal to be recoverable at the tower.

You're retarded and your opinion is wrong

I fucked my iphone up last month changing the batteyr. it's such a dreadful deadly process th. you have to hope not brreak your screen. the screws inside are so tiny nearly impossible to get back in. Anyways. I did it well but then my home button quit working. so I bought a new phone.Next time Apple will give me or fix.

A piece of coper foil is what a pcb antenna is. The difference in radiation efficiency of copper and aluminum is negligible.

Is it common for 3g to work better than LTE?

It seems since I been using LTE signal been down theshitter more. My service sucks where I am anyway but I don't pay for it

Also anyway to improve antenna hardware on iphone?

Yes, but the shape of the foil matters.

You could probably cut the trace to the antenna and solder some wifi miniature coax to the feed point and then run it out of the phone to an external antenna. Whether it is a good idea or not depends on how easy that is to do in your phone, how good you are with a soldering iron, and whether you care about having an external antenna jack. Then you attach a non-manlet antenna to it.

If it's a signal level problem that reduce the problem by a few dB even with a fairly basic antenna.

this nigga, this nigga right here

Well. I am on wifi at home. But my signal sucks when inside. Not so bad outside although I been getting random issues once i leave wifi area. But a restart on phone fixes. I think it's just new Ios10 issue or with phone itself. Oh well. I'd switch to a better carrier but someone pays it for me monthly so eh

I am going to see if 3G instead of LTE helps any at all

This is class A autism.
Thanks for the many keks.

Also if you're lucky it will have a U.FL connector or something and you won't have to solder anything at all.

If it were some highly tuned antenna that used antenna that used constructive interference to increase gain yeah shape would be really important. Pic related. It's what happens when you bend a dipole. The answer is not a whole lot.

In cellphone communications line of sight with the tower is the most important factor. Whether you have some pcb antenna or are using OP's theoretical metal case as your radiator doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of difference.

My first ham radio was a 2 meter transmitter powered by the 12V rail from a PC power supply. I wanted to get on the air before waiting for a proper coax connector to come in the mail so I jammed a wire in the antenna connector and rigged it to stay vertical. I was able to talk on the repeater with a few watts and full quieting. The only thing that changed with an external antenna was my ability to talk to other people without a tower. All cellphone company towers are designed for communicating with low power transmitters connected to shitty compromise indoor antennas.

Do some experimentation to rule out things that aren't signal level problems. Since 3G is slower it might be more tolerant of interference and low signal. I'm not sure on the specifics of cellphone schemes but generally a lower data rate makes it easier to demodulate in high SNR situations.

I've heard of cell phone repeaters. I don't know how legal they are but an outdoor yagi on a TV mast feeding an indoor repeater would be pretty ideal in fixing a signal level problem in your house.

The upside of the external jack is being able experiment easily. The downsides are possibility of damaging the phone while modifying it, losing the sleekness that people seem to value highly in their phones, and ruining any water proofing if care isn't taken to make everything sealed.

>high SNR situations
disregard that i suck cocks
*low SNR situations

It's not just about pushing power. Sure, if all you care about is a low-bandwidth AM signal, use whatever kind of antenna you like, but when you're trying to push 2Gbps with a 160Mhz 1024QAM signal, every part of the signal chain matters. Fuck one part up and your EVM will go through the roof.

My HTC desire Z had a similar mechanism.

Because one of the main reasons people buy new phones is because the battery charge doesn't last as long as it used to.