When will the flat/material/lazy software design meme end?

When will the flat/material/lazy software design meme end?

>its modern/metro

It's fucking Windows 98 for mobile, disgusting

I dislike it too.

Yeah Apple really had something nice going with iOS until 7. It didn't look the cleanest but it had a lot of character and depth.

You call it flat and lazy, I call it clean and sleek.
>inb4buzzwords
Well they're damn accurate buzzwords.

it's outdated.

The one of the left is even more outdated.

non-flat icons look like theyre trying just way to hard to "look fancy".
No, ofcourse i dont actually believe that there is depth to this two-dimensional representation of a button. Id rather it look less bloated.
this.

IOS 7 started it and Google and Microsoft soon followed. Why do companies emulate Apple when it isn't even good in the first place.

Yeah, iOS looks like a gay pride parade shit all over it. iOS 5 and 6 were the best. I miss those days when iPhones were made of stainless steel and thick glass. They were business phones made of good quality parts. Now Apple just pushes out hipster shit that bends in your pocket. Google screwed us with the material design BS too but at least Android allows users to apply themes if they don't like it.

My god that's disgusting. I've not seen icons on my homescreen in ages. I love z launcher.

>It's fucking Windows 98 for mobile
That's Windows 10, user.
Windows 98 didn't look such awful.

>implying skeuomorphic designs ain't lazy
they're inherently lazy

>let's just make put up wood and leather textures instead of coming up with better interfaces and new ways of interaction

ITT we predict the next design trend.

This looks nice though.

I fully expect logos to become either monotone geometry, or with 3-4 colors. We gon b cyberpunk and shit.

So Star Wars got it right?

meant to quote

>minimalism

Call me a faggot, but I like the first ones.

Apples design has literally nothing in common with that flaming turd that is material design, and I fucking hate iOS but design wise it's years ahead

>but design wise it's years ahead
But flat design is pretty much outdated at this point.

pic related

can you objectively explain why material design is a "flaming turd"? No? Ok, thought so.

skeuomorphism is a cancerous meme that thankfulyl died. web2.0 design made me want to end my life.

>we predict the next design trend.
that 'depth', proper 3rd axis look from 'her' movie, while retaining the flat design. people have realized what a massive mistake skeumorphism is, only fisher-price seem to stick with it because it appeals to actual babies and retarded manchildren.

This thread is proof that software developers should never be UX designers.

If I can design it with my dick, it's not good design. I'm sorry. Material design is for lazy people and no, I'm not going to take your stupid fucking "design" made in 5 minutes with illustrator or even paint at this point.

Except software developers know how to make software useful. Designers work against you by trying to make their design edgy.

lucky for everyone's eyes you aren't a graphic designer because we can do without the glossy pseudo-3d cancer, thank you very much.

software developers should stick to CLI, leave the GUI functionality to designers because software devs are autistic and their nigger brains cannot comprehend 'user-friendly'.

Apple still wins design wise with elcap. They didn't change anything with with sierra which is sort of disappointing, but at the very least it still looks more decent than the abomination that Windows 10 is, and the gazillions of desktops with flat colors, anime wallpapers and bitmap fonts from these memesters.

>If I can design it with my dick, it's not good design.
I'm sure you can do that, user :).

Windows 8.x and 10 are the pinnacle of flat design and the most notorious example of designers given free reign, yet they're both a jumbled mess of counter-intuitive menus, loss of usability and customization in the name of design etc.

Maybe if college design classes weren't taught by Jewish Marxist professors who have to deconstruct (see: ruin) everything in the name of edginess, designers wouldn't be such insufferable oven-worthy scum.

UX designers
AKA sorry mom i'm not smart enough to be a developer

>the most notorious example of designers given free reign
Do you really think about this or are you just spitting out feelings of resentment and indignation? Designers don't do whatever they want. They were hired by Microsoft. They are paid by Microsoft, and they are assigned to do what Microsoft wants. Maybe the reason you're seeing UI simplification across the board is that products more accessible to the target audience tend to sell better, so companies that want to sell a utility to consumers try to make their products simpler to use. Do you think software like adobe photoshop or krita has a more complex UI because artists and designers had no input, because it makes a lot more sense that products targeted towards professionals rather than consumers prioritize functionality and the designers are instructed to work around that, rather than being excluded completely because they're a bunch of little goblins.

And you're talking shit about edginess, jesus christ.

Before, I could put any wallpaper there and have no issues. Now I have to be pretty selective because I want to see some of the icons on the screen, or have to take every icon out of the way.

You don't have to go all the way and try too hard but it'd be nice if we didn't have to choose very specific designs. I mean shit, shadows gone, reflections gone, now you can't even display too much color. Soon people won't be able to distinguish between two different icons.

Look at the picture at the right and tell me the labels on that are ok. The wallpaper works against it. It'd work fine on the left.

Except nobody asked Microsoft for these simplifications and they were overwhelmingly received negatively.

Nobody wanted mobile UI, nobody wanted the metro design, nobody wanted the "apps" but Microsoft implemented them anyway, because design was chosen over functionality.

That means that it wasn't designed well, not that some eviltons sabotaged the project for their doodoohead dummy vision.

The one on the left looks like something I would've liked when I was 20 - now that I'm 34, I prefer the right one by a large margin and the left looks somehow "childish" to me.

love the firefox one desu

Flat/ material is quite shit.

and it looks completely understandable and pro. Putting these settings on 13 different ribbons and a hamburger menu helps no one

> and the left looks somehow "childish"
That's because you had it when you was 20. The right one is more acid, like those chink toys.

>That's because you had it when you was 20.
When I was 20, it was 2002 and smartphones were a novelty item almost nobody used.

You asked a question and didn't even wait for me to respond, are you fucking 12?

Material design is wasting screen space everywhere. Look at the YouTube app. 30% of the screen is occupied by a large red bar with little to no functions at all. Video thumbnails are fucking enormous and you can't even see more than two simultaneously, plus, the really useful upload button covers additional information.

Same thing with Gmail, it has less content per screen space

>IOS 7 started it and Google and Microsoft soon followed

you dumb fuck

ms started this stupid trendy flat shit with their metro ui and everyone else drank their retarded kool aid

>disliking flat design
>liking old 2004 3d icons
>ufokenwot.jpg

Do you like this new youtube icon? It's the new age of design. It's the future.

This glossy 3d shit is pure cancer.
Get yourself a time machine and go back to 2004 where this was still "cool and hip".

Where does it say glossy 3d shit is better

Honestly to this point I see more people getting defensive over material design being crappy as it is than the opposite. Do people honestly think there's only two ways of designing things? I like elementary icons (not the fucking garbage distro mind you). It's not flat as shit and lazy. It's not skeuomorphism at its finest either. It's pleasant to look at and also well defined. But apparently it's either you're alright with the same lazy design google's been pushing over the years (and haven't changed in 3 fucking major versions) or you're an old man that enjoys toys from the past.

>implying that allowing gay marriage will lead to people marrying their pets and siblings down the line
That's not what's going here, user.

You never know

In 2030 you might marry a parrot. In 2050 maybe a woman will be able to marry the fetus inside her.

I always hated the ios look until ios7 saved it

Faggot