Partition Disk while using Ubuntu

I recently switched from Windows to Ubuntu. As a Windows user, I have been accustomed to segregating stuff in drives, like work related in F, movies in E. Do you guys used partitions on your Ubuntu system ?

Just mount everything in /media or something

Thanks man

Generally you have partitions /boot, /home and / (root) where /boot contains the kernel(s), / contains all program data and /home contains your personal data. You can of course create more partitions.
I don't really see the point anymore. On Windows I used to have dedicated partitions for System, Data (downloads, documents, pictures), Games, Videos and Music. It's pretty pointless though, you really only need one for system and one for data. Is your system fucked? Reinstall over system partition, data is still intact.

Unix doesn't work that way.

You definitely can do it though, but it's really not necessary at all.

1. Select UEFI/GPT partition system
2. Make a root directory (/) and put your home folder in it. Make sure you made a swap partition as well.
3. Now make additional drives on desperately and mount them under /mnt or /media

In different words,
1. Save up space and allocate ~20GB for Linux (swap, / and home). Make sure you used UEFI scheme. Because MSDOS partitioning can only take 4 partitions
2. Boot into the fresh installed Linux machine
3. Start Gparted, make partitions.
4. Mount ~/Pictures or ~/Documents under those new partitions

They will come under /media this way.

FYI you don't really need to do it, just separate your home partition and that's fine to stay no matter how many times you re-install your OS

you can mount them under /opt/drive1, /opt/drive2.. etc and make shortcuts in your filemanager

Wow, Linux is really this babby-tier in that users don't even know what drives their partitions belong to?

Linux doesn't do drives the same way as Windows.
In Linux you get only one logical file hierarhy, with / being the top and everything else being stashed away in folders, subfolders, etc.
So you get partition HDD_A1 with / and it contains folders /foo and /bar
You also get partition HDD_A2 with / and this filesystem contains folders /doge and /cate
Linux can choose only one as its root filesystem. Lets say its HDD_A1. But you still want to access files on HDD_A2. What now? You can point to a place in your existing filesystem and replace its contents with one from a different HDD. So if you mount HDD_A2 in /bar now you can access:
/ (/ on HDD_A1)
/foo (/foo on HDD_A1)
/bar (/ on HDD_A2)
/bar/cate (/cate on HDD_A2)
/bar/doge (/doge on HDD_A2)
now if I had a third HDD I could mount it's / in any of those folders.

A common way of doing things on user machines (this does not apply to servers) is to have a /, /boot and /home on different partitions.
/ is the obligatory root and contains everything. Out of that we pull out two things:
/boot - this partition contains kernel images and bootloader configuration. The reason for this change is that the bootloader can be particular as to what kind of filesystems it supports (UEFI requires FAT32 for example)
/home - all the user data. It makes reinstallation, full system updates, etc. that much easier.

If you're the only user you can simply mount any additional partitions to directories in your user folder.

Why do people even bother having separate partitions for everything? Why not just have separate folders which aren't limited to a max size like a partition is? Still keeps stuff separate.

I've misused its and it's.
I shall now commit a ritual dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda
Goodbye.

For defragging purposes in the old days?

you can do whatever you like, the only thing you need is a single partition for root (/), everything else is optional and customizable

if you still want to keep different things on different partitions, one nice way to do it is to mount those volumes into a suitable folder in your home folder, for example;
"/home/user/work" can be the mountpoint of your work volume
"/home/user/videos/movies" for the movies volume
and so on

or you can opt to instead mount everything under /mnt, then symlink to them from the home folder, so they're mounted in /mnt, but accessible via your home folder as well

i've done both, but now i just use a single massive btrfs raid1 with boot, root, and home as seperate btrfs subvolumes
the advantage here is that subvolumes are only as big as their content, so no unused partitioned space

-- if you've ever had to shift things around because one "drive" became full while others still have space available, you'll appreciate having a single volume across multiple drives
why balance your data manually when you can let your filesystem do it for you transparently?

>Is your system fucked? Reinstall over system partition, data is still intact.
Did you not read his post fully? 'folders' won't do this for you. Also on Unix they're directories.

Ubuntu isn't Unix.

Do you have backups

Ubuntu is Unix but not UNIX.

yea, i make copies of important stuff

It's Unix like.

you know you can shove that diagram up your ass, because of delayed writing and so on?

i'm not sure what you're trying to show here

He discovered that writing to location near beginning of drive is faster than writing to location near end of drive on a platter drive.

>he doesn't know you can have more than one drive in a computer

a better way to see that is with tools like hdtune

And?

see

So far I can see you're using Botnet 10 operating system.

Yes, which means I can actually use my system, unlike Linux babbies who can't even tell what drive their files are on.

use the home directory like sane people.
the home directory in linux does actually make sense.

>babby duck crying and using ad hominem
Wow, mister Sup Forumsermin, you're awesome!

Why the fuck would you create limited size partitions instead of using folders the way they were meant to be used?

Why wouldn't you be able to separate you're hdd/sdd in partitions for use with GNU/Linux?

>he doesn't understand what an ad hominem is
Please stop. The cringe is unbearable.

Tell your mom about it ;^)

>not just using folders

Well. What else is there to say?

>they don't know what drive their files are on
--- Output of job 'merging to file "00001_track1_und (1) (1).mkv" in directory "D:\"' started on 2016-09-15 07:46:08 ---
mkvmerge v9.4.0 ('Knurl') 64bit
'I:\00001_track1_und (1).mkv': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'Matroska'.
'I:\00001_track1_und (1).mkv' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AVC/h.264'.
'I:\00001_track1_und (1).mkv' track 2: Using the output module for the format 'AAC'.
'I:\00001_track1_und (1).mkv' track 3: Using the output module for the format 'text subtitles'.
The file 'D:\00001_track1_und (1) (1).mkv' has been opened for writing.
The cue entries (the index) are being written...
Muxing took 2 minutes 31 seconds.
--- Output of job 'merging to file "00001_track1_und (1) (1).mkv" in directory "I:\"' started on 2016-09-15 07:49:08 ---
mkvmerge v9.4.0 ('Knurl') 64bit
'I:\00001_track1_und (1).mkv': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'Matroska'.
'I:\00001_track1_und (1).mkv' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AVC/h.264'.
'I:\00001_track1_und (1).mkv' track 2: Using the output module for the format 'AAC'.
'I:\00001_track1_und (1).mkv' track 3: Using the output module for the format 'text subtitles'.
The file 'I:\00001_track1_und (1) (1).mkv' has been opened for writing.
The cue entries (the index) are being written...
Muxing took 4 minutes 3 seconds.

I use multiple physical hard drives. I have an audiop samples hard drive and my /home is on its own hard drive. But other than that I just use folders