FBI Director: Cover up your webcam

thehill.com/policy/national-security/295933-fbi-director-cover-up-your-webcam

>The head of the FBI on Wednesday defended putting a piece of tape over his personal laptop's webcam, claiming the security step was a common sense one that most should take.

>“There’s some sensible things you should be doing, and that’s one of them,” Director James Comey said during a conference at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

>“You go into any government office and we all have the little camera things that sit on top of the screen,” he added. “They all have a little lid that closes down on them.
>“You do that so that people who don’t have authority don’t look at you. I think that’s a good thing.”

"You're being too paranoid" idiots absolutely, unequivocally, irredeemably blown the FUCK out.

Other urls found in this thread:

instructables.com/id/turn-ANY-speaker-into-a-microphone-in-just-2-easy-/
youtube.com/watch?v=zYY3n4YWvFo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, but what if you were hypothetically turned on by the prospect of being watched through your webcam while you masturbate?

he's retarded.

Then you're a true patriot and a hero who is keeping the nation safe.

And this faggot isn't?

Taping your camera without disabling your microphone is useless.

I'm hypothetically with this guy

Still curious that more people don't do this after people's webcams were hacked in the past. Who even uses the fucking things most of the time?

Hypothetically, I enjoy sex with women

My girlfriend makes me leave my laptop on with webcam at all times or else she thinks I'm cheating

sorry, but if you're to stupid to run a decent firewall then you deserve to be irrationally paranoid.

The rest of us can continue to not worry.

KEKED

Thank you glorified bank teller man.

>is out fucking chad
>while also fucking her bf over through distrust and forcing him to keep cam on
>being cucked while being cucked
literally cuckception

>Decent firewall
What did he mean by this?

This, why hasn't anyone else noticed how fucking retarded this is? Even with Zuckerberg's laptop. Pretty sure putting tape over the mic holes isn't really gonna do shit.

it means take the security of your devices into your own hands instead of relying on a piece of tape to do it for you.

I disable my microphone and camera with Lenovo's hotkey function.
Is it still not enough? Apparently I tried to run camera apps, and it told me that they didn't found the camera.

Isn't this the same faggot that said
>Yeah, she was extremely careless with highly classified materials, but no reason to investigate further :^)

Nah, his opinion is invalid.

if someone has access to your system, what's stopping them from enabling the webcam?

Show me a firewall+ruleset that will 100% guaranteed prevent leakage of video feed, while still maintaining a usable experience. So no :OUTPUT DROP fuckery.

>You can't do both.
If you are using a device with an os that needs extra software for security you are retard.
This is why I stopped coming here.

S-so cover with silver tape is the only option?

except you're the fucking retard here.

there is no such thing as a perfect system. definitely not out of the box.

but take your memes and opinions and get the fuck out.

I wonder if it would be possible to put a switch between the mic and the mobo that cuts the audio signal completely

common sense 2016 gold edition.

now go take your big words you don't actually know the meaning of and fuck off.

Sure you do...

>thinks backdoors are on the transport layer

Post your IP. :)

>he thinks his paranoia is rational.

now fuck off and quit pretending you know the first thing about OSI

Well I already covered up all my webcams and phones ages ago.

Tell me something I don't know :^)

>No such thing as a perfect system
>But a firewall will protect you
Go back to your consumer electronics thread. I haven't been here in 6 months and now it's as bad as reddit.

Don't forget that speakers can be used as poor quality mics too

>he thinks he knows the first thing about paranoia

paranoia does not cease when you think you can't be spied upon - it ceases when you realise it doesn't matter

/thread

So you can't provide one. Who would have thought.

>doesn't matter
Post a pic of your penis with your SSN written on it

>silver tape
you don't call it that in English, Ahmed.
And electronics tape is objectively better in this scenario.

haha ur gay

>muh memes
>muh homemade firewall will protect me from Microsoft's team of engineers' designed solutions to steal muh data
An hero, cuck.

first day on Sup Forums, i suppose?

i find it interesting that people on Sup Forums love privacy but then creep on unsecured webcams and babycams on other boards/threads blox

Oh do you? Tell us more we're very interested in your banal observations.

Nothing interesting about realizing that you are not the only sick fuck out there, or even that the sickest of people form the government institutions.

>linux is impenetrable

What a dumb piece of shit you are

People on here seem to be forgetting that this guy can't do much about software because it's not his. The NSA have probably have a back door built in for blackmailing other government agencies.
They love their own security

Did he say anything about Linux you mentally ill faggot?

should i also cover up the cams on my smartphone?

>Having a webcam

>can't read
>uses ad hominem
Go and play your games, girl.

Does this include phones?

No, smartphones aren't computers :^)

GSM is full of backdoors. They can eavesdrop your phone at any time.

solution: work for the NSA so you can't be spied on

I prefer men

my friends you seem very defensive

Do they?

ur my friend

u dont have friends

doesn't work

enjoy accidentally spying pajit and poo

i do

Shill. Get the fuck out.

I still need to find a decent way to cover up my phone's forward facing camera, considering it's in a charging dock facing my face all the time. Tape is shit for something you put in your pocket constantly, and I'm not going to not charge it or something.
At least I don't ever say anything, so I'm at least safe from most mic shit.

Or just disable it in BIOS/unplug internal USB cable and not look like a fucking autist

>have gf
>when not together constantly jerking off to her on skype

I wanted to put electrical tape over the opening in my phone case, but I don't want to do anything that draws attention

what you could do, is get a very small piece of clear, regular tape, and put it over the forward cam. Then take a sharpie, and make a dot just big enough to cover the camera, on top of the tape. Now you're covered, and you won't look like a fucking autist while you're at it.

>most autistic thing i ever heard

Not to mention if they have working speakers AND a microphone they have some advanced software that can essentially map the room based on the reflection of the sound off your walls.

It wont be SUPER accurate (unless you have a really qood quality mic or similar great acoustics in your room)

jive turkey

you know those yellow office sticky notes?
i just cut a circle out of the sticky part and use that.

I just dont have any camera or microphone attached to my computer.

Speakers or headphones can be turned into shitty quality microphones without you knowing.

Just sayin.

expand on this black magic

only dudebros with little or """"average""" willies are worried about anyone knowing what their dick looks like. anyone with a decent sized one is proud

It's not black magic, you can even do it yourself if you want.

Here is a guide to do it yourself with some old speakers.
instructables.com/id/turn-ANY-speaker-into-a-microphone-in-just-2-easy-/

They do the same basic shit but with software instead of physically splicing the speaker wire.

Pretty sure this can even be done with the super basic motherboard boot code speakers, or any sort of audio device.

Watched a video not long ago about an NSA contractor working on making printers, office phones, even something like a networked thermostat be able to listen to things nearby and transmit back what they hear through discreet channels.

It's all just a piezo electric piece connected to a cone. It's just that for one thing you send electricity to it, and the other you measure the electricity out of it.

what are you doing on Sup Forums for fucks sake?

how is it done with software?

Also anything can be a speaker really

>how is it done with software?
see
>for one thing you send electricity to it, and the other you measure the electricity out of it.

Disable from bios instead

Anything sticky will be shit for a phone though. It will come off because of constant friction, and then leave a residue.

am i the only person here who goes entire weeks without talking to anyone aside from cashiers / people who work in shops? if the fbi wanted to monitor my communications for some reason, a microphone wouldn't help them

Yeah same, I talk to my cat occasionally, but even that's just calling him a retard or something similar.

Unless its for work or i'm out purchasing something I generally don't speak.

>head of FBI
>retarded

come on now, user

You can't stop Pajeet from shilling, user.

What if I haven't compiled the kernel module for it (and don't even know if there is one compatible with this alien technology of a laptop)?

this
underrated

>Implying the FBI use linux

>Says there was no crime after a high ranking government women stored illegaly and let confidential info be leaked
>not retarded

Blatantly false. Taping your camera obviously blocks light, sure they can still hear you but it's better than being seen and heard.

he's deeply connected to the clinton foundation, he should be paranoid

youtube.com/watch?v=zYY3n4YWvFo

Type what you want to say, shitstain. I'm not wasting my time on a 9 minute video.

Snowden and Assange covers their cams.. now this.. thats it,, I'm covering up.

Oh no, people will watch my lewd face when I masturbate!

the main reason I'm covering my cam is that I often pick my nose..

This not being in synced really annoys me.

Well I usually don't talk to myself when sitting at the computer, and I would prefer a hacker getting the sound of me fapping instead of the visual of it.

Remember.

ditto that my brother