PLEASE HELP Sup Forums...

PLEASE HELP Sup Forums. I'm configuring the gentoo kernel but the "High memory support" option under "Processor type and features" is not there! What should I do?

Sup Forums is not /tech support/
install gentoo

install gentoo

Use / to search for it and look what sort of requirements it has.
Also, the default configuration is perfectly fine for everyone. You should only look for device specific drivers and enable them nothing more.
Some options will also get renamed often or disappear completely.

But you guys are experts on this. I'm just trying to learn.

This is what genkernel is for. I wouldn't mess with the defconfig file unless you know why you need to.

install gentoo

>genkernel

way to completely miss the point

Install windows you stupid faggot. Linux is a joke here to get retards like you to waste your time.

>needing more than 640K
shiggy

Of configuring a kernel when you don't know why you need to? Here's a hint. Maybe try Generic x86-64 seeing as how the only time high memory wouldn't need to be used is on 32-bit processors.

How else would you learn?

make defconfig
and disable shit you don't need.

>But you guys are experts on this. I'm just trying to learn.

You don't. Easy.

That's only available on 32-bits kernel

why don't you use superior nconfig

Aaah ok, thanks a lot guys!

There's a whole folder of default configurations depending on what type of processor you have. There are separate x86 and amd64 configs. If he started off with the amd64 config, he doesn't need to worry about ticking a high memory option. Literally open these config files up in an editor and see options which you wouldn't possibly be able to pull out of your ass. The only reason to change any of these configs is if you need support for something which isn't being included in the default config.

>you guys are experts on this

>Sup Forums
>expert on anything

Next time, use the Help, if you don't fully comprehend it, than leave it as is

>The only reason to change any of these configs is if you need support for something which isn't being included in the default config.

And to diable things that you don't need but are enabled by default, and, of course, just to learn

>implying the Linux kernel is document

No wonder you lintards have a hard time comprehending your OS is pure dogshit.

It's better to have a working system first before you blindly disable config options in the kernel. Also, genkernel doesn't get rid of kernel debug that spams the fucking decompress image message even though quiet is enabled at boot time.

>Linux
>working system
Pick one

I don't think this is even an issue on newer 32-bit Intel machines unless you want to use more than 64GB of RAM because of physical address extension.

nobody said otherwise... but you're making it sound like the process of going over a literally list of checkboxes is hard at all

Oh kind Sir, it is. There is hardware and experimental features I guarantee you have never even heard of and probably never will. This is why they have defconfs to use as a starting point.

Are you sure you need to add support for high memory on an x86-64 system?

>he actually installed gentoo
lmao

I know, right?

Don't you realize that's just Sup Forums satire, OP? I can't believe you actually fell for it! Do you also believe in "feminine penis" from Sup Forums?

This. Sup Forums, experts on anything? They use fucking Linux LOL

>genkernel

ok, but you don't need to know about every option to configure your kernel from scratch