/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, please politely direct them here

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Wd4QPs
m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA85V3E25209&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile-_-pla-_-Power Supplies-_-9SIA85V3E25209&gclid=CPG_p5SWks8CFRaTfgodWd8E8A&gclsrc=aw.ds
pcpartpicker.com/list/b9zdHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/fXKVWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/8HB6D8
amazon.com/gp/product/B00IYEEOMO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3D1M5ET5Z3YT6
pcpartpicker.com/list/JqRxHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/pwgjHN
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116827
amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-GDDR5-Graphics-GV-N1060IXOC-3GD/dp/B01KQUD9U6/
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Wcnh3F
amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Mini-Graphic-MINI-GTX950-2G/dp/B01FL6SYZU/
tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal,4679-6.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/PpV9cc
tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038-8.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZxCWtJ
tomshardware.com/forum/id-2430256/diffrence-nvidia-vsync-gsync.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I didnt notice that previous thread reached limit so I link my question

why dont you get faster ram. your motherboard allows it so get some 3000 mhz

also nvida > amd imo

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Wd4QPs

I'm planning to get a used 970 now and as soon as Vega comes out either get one (if it's good), or a 1080 (if it's shit).

Now... What power supply should I use? It can't be too long, because in this case PSU is mounted face down (modular cables could cause problems). 600W? 700W? Gold efficiency, obviously.

You're missing a SSD but otherwise it's fine.

Memory speed is pretty much snake oil and has no impact on gaming performance.

I will buy a CPU for my new AMD AM3+ socket. I'm planning to buy an used Phenom X3 720 that has 3 months of warranty. OK? Should I?

I was thinking about putting my OS on normal HDD. Is SSD really that important?

Im close to budget limit, tho.

I had huge dilema about 1060 or rx480, in the end, since reviews of Nitro+ OC and Asus Strix shows that they have similar performance (depending on who devs likes more), but Radeon have 8gb RAM instead of 6gb and have better potential about DX12/Vulkan. I dont plan to change GPu in next 2 years or something.

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, but I'm thinking about spending around 1200. I could probably go down more, but I'd be nice to get a kick in the right direction. Maybe I should go for the 1060 instead?

>obviously
>87% efficient is fucking unacceptable garbage, I need muh 91% efficient
I would've recommended a short, modular, 600+w seasonic that's only $55 but instead I recommend this xXEIGHTY PLUS GOLD FOR GOLD GAMING MEDAL WINS FTWXx
m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA85V3E25209&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile-_-pla-_-Power Supplies-_-9SIA85V3E25209&gclid=CPG_p5SWks8CFRaTfgodWd8E8A&gclsrc=aw.ds

why dont you just wait a month for the 1050 to come out

anything seasonic or evga g series for the psu

Actually it's the only performance difference between DDR3 and 4. The point of ddr4 is that you can overclock it without changing voltages ever, making high speed ram a safe, easy, and

SSD is not required but it is the most important part of the user experience. Having to sit and wait for stuff to load gets annoying really fast and you have to face that every single day when using the computer.

Just get a cheap ~128gb SSD. While it wont be a beast it'll run circles around mechanical harddrives.

you need more wattage from your psu

you dont need that mobo

here's my personal favorite build for around 1k. im 100% sure this will play anything on the market at max settings with ease

pcpartpicker.com/list/b9zdHN

you can play around with it. also like i posted for someone else the 1050 comes out in a month if you wanna save an extra 100 bucks

another thing. you dont need aftermarket coolers unless youre overclocking or the cpu doesnt come with one

my aspie friend got the noctua cooler but i think that shits a meme. the 212 will do just fine for 1/3rd the price

pcpartpicker.com/list/fXKVWX
Link related is going to be mainly used for Photoshop and gaymen (I already own a high end GPU so it wasn't included), does anyone have any experience with be quiet! cases?

Not him but when I ask about opinions outside of Sup Forums, Im always getting told that for overlocking I would need much more powerful cooler than 212.

I'm going to replace my aging HTPC (Celeron G1620 GTX 650), soon. Going to go with something small and quiet so no more discrete GPU.

Should I buy a Bristol Ridge chip or wait for the first ZEN APUs to come out?

Oh shit the one I picked was pretty pricey huh? Thanks for the info, I'll probably be doing more research until the cash comes in, so I could wait and see what's up with it.

Oh alright, I don't think I want to get into overclocking until I have a grasp on this whole PC building thing.

pcpartpicker.com/list/8HB6D8

Current build I own. Ignore the PSU and the case. PSU is ATNG (Korean I believe) and the case is some CyberPowerPC case. Originally purchased off of a coworker for $200. Only upgrades are the 1070 ($370) and the RAM ($55). PSU is the next planned upgrade, probably gonna be an EVGA G2 650-750, but where should I go from there?

Mostly used for gayman and making videos.

how is this cooler, the thermalright true spirit 140?

amazon.com/gp/product/B00IYEEOMO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3D1M5ET5Z3YT6

someone told me it was excellent for the price but I can't find many comparisons online

>10000 rpm hdd
Y tho?

i think the evo 212 will do just fine. but. it all depends how much you overclock. i think the noctua is just quieter for the most part. it might do a SLIGHTLY better job at cooling

want to make a micro atx build for my parents, nothing complicated.
if i want it to be as low power as possible, while still being fast, what should I get?

I am thinking a g3258, 8gb ddr3, and a 128gb ssd?

no personal experience with it, but the reviews i've seen on jewtube make it look like a pretty fantastic case if you really feel like dropping two benjis on one.

It's faster than 7200rpm

meant to reply to
i'd also suggest the vector series instead of trion for mlc instead of tlc and a black series wd unless you REALLY want a 10000 rpm hdd.

please stop recommending the 212. the cryorig h7 is significantly better for only $5 more

What makes it better?

I'm afraid that it absolutely has to be gold. And it's not even xXGaMiNgXx thing. I would feel physically ill anything less than gold. It's a curse. This Corsair... a bit pricey. Thanks anyway.
Waiting is out of question, I need something now. EVGA or Seasonic... That doesn't help much.

I'd probably rather get an i3 to have 4 threads.
Would your parents really only need 128GB for their OS & all their files? Mine have quite a few GB of family photos that they backup occasionally.
Also, you wouldn't want to completely fill the SSD and lose data instead of capacity when sectors start to fail, would you?
Imo opinion bare minimum would be a 240/256GB ssd for normal usage.

lower temps, quieter, just better all around
people only recommend the 212 because they don't know better and it's very prevalent. people bought it when it was the best and keep suggesting it even though there are better options out there now

please respond

also apparently it's the true spirit 140 power version

it seems to get good reviews but there's only like two of them

It's like $20 used, so why not? Depends on your purpose

7/10
Get at least a 250GB SSD
Your HDD is expensive and small
PSU is expensive
$140 for Win7 is just embarrassing

Shitty build
No need for an unlocked CPU or Z170 mobo unless the user actually plans on OC
3TB hard drives are ridiculous prone to failure, with some models reaching 25%
Small SSD
If you're already using a z170 mobo, you should get 3000MHz RAM

Consider mini-ITX

I can't recommend the 8320 for gaming. Also AM3+ is a dead/overpriced platform if you're buying new. If anything the 8350 is what you want
SSD is small
1070 is overkill except for 1440p or 1080p 144Hz

I said I already own all of those parts. "Current build I own." I plan on upgrading to 1440p around tax season, but a new PSU is in my immediate future for sure. Was just curious if there's anything I should focus on upgrading afterwards short of going up to Skylake/waiting for Zen.

Updated the drives, might just go with Windows 10 pro, and the PSU is pretty much what I want.

>i3
He's talking about a build for his parents, who will probably only browse the internet and maybe use skype.

Unless they have 80+GB of photos, more storage will probably be wasted unless they know how to torrent.

Depends on your current GPU, but don't bother buying a 1070 until you can get the new monitor with it. Prices are too high right now.

Storage is still lacking IMO, but you know your needs. If all your games and video editing files can't fit on the SSD, buy a new 250GB for games and use the old one for OS and other programs.

pcpartpicker.com/list/pwgjHN

something like that maybe?

80+ gold is closer to 89-90% on average.
80+ platinum is closer to 92%.

That said bronze and silver are only roughly 2-4% less efficient than an 80+ gold PSU, so you really aren't gaining much, especially on lower wattage PSUs like 600W. That's like 25W tops.

What you should look at is the price and quality/features of the PSU.
Full modular is nice, semi-modular is typically more reasonable, and non-modular is just fine too if you have room to tuck the excess cables away from other things.

Having an efficient PSU is not limited to enthusiasts and gamers you sperg.
If anything, you'd be retarded for getting a super high wattage PSU when you only need to deliver about 300-400W total, and that is a high estimate for even the typical gaming computer.

Try these ones out. Still somewhat pricey, but meets 80+gold standard for

ssd was something i was considering, so thank you for confirming that need. i already have the 1070, was $370 on jet. at $80 under msrp, it seemed like a good deal.

anyone have any thoughts on the new viewsonic 1440p gsync monitor?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116827

Also, why would you wait for the 1050 when the 1050ti already exists for $200?
amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-GDDR5-Graphics-GV-N1060IXOC-3GD/dp/B01KQUD9U6/

Looks good. The cooler will come with paste, but it's always nice to have a tube of Arctic Silver laying around.

Pretty overkill for 'rents, plus that PSU won't fit

>i already have the 1070, was $370 on jet. at $80 under msrp, it seemed like a good deal
Aftermarket (not shitty FE) has an MSRP of $350. But enjoy your new GPU, it'll be slick.

Not him, but the standout feature of the 1050 is that it won't have any power connectors. Convert any shitty tower to a gaming rig!

Working on a budget build here ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Wcnh3F

My budget is around $900. I'm hoping to save money by using my old case (Antec Three Hundred) as well as my old monitor, both of which should still be compatible.

I also skimped on the RAM and went for 1x8GB.

Mostly going to be used for coding, artwork and some gaming.

Thoughts?

Looks good.

I might change the SSD to a 250GB (not much more expensive depending on brand) and the HDD to an HGST for reliability

So sorry about your currency

>It's like $20 used, so why not?
Don't know why not. Wikipedia says it allows DDR3-1333. I already know that I shouldn't worry about DDR speed because it doesn't matters, but I feel more secure asking first.

Also, I'm not in USA, so it's not US$20, it costs more. Like a cheap motherboard, a good PSU, or 8GB RAM.

>300-400W total, and that is a high estimate for even the typical gaming computer

Not for your typical non-480 AMD GPU build.

Not necessarily, since all that means is that it will draw power from the PCI-E slot instead of directly from the PSU. The difference is that the PCIe slot implies the card does not draw much over 75W as opposed to the ~150W limit of slot+6pin connector.

Maybe if your PSU was so shit that it didn't have a spare connector for the GPU I could understand, but the difference in wattage could still put a strain on such a shit-tier PSU just from the additional 75+W or whatever it draws from the slot.

The 950 had a 90W TDP and a 6-pin connector too, so the 1060 3GB version's 120W TDP and 6-pin connector is not a huge stretch.

I would expect the 1050 to also have a 6-pin connection requirement.

But the 212 is more than adequate and $5 less

You can always buy another stick of RAM a few months later so don't worry about that.

>MSRP of $350
Actually it's $380, which there was 2 1070s for that price 2 weeks ago
Now you cannot find one under $400 normally

Just note that there's no integrated graphics, so you'll need a graphics card.

>Not necessarily, since all that means is that it will draw power from the PCI-E slot instead of directly from the PSU.
No shit, Sherlock

>I would expect the 1050 to also have a 6-pin connection requirement.
>requirement
No, though some aftermarket models probably have one

>Actually it's $380
I stand corrected

>so you'll need a graphics card
I already have, this one, since 2008 at least:
>Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

>non-480 AMD GPU
That is not a typical gaming computer.
Most AMD users that don't get the 480 would find the 470 or 460.
The Fury's power requirements are far above the typical gaming computer's GPU, and most computers with intel CPUs do not overclock them significantly.

Your average i5 build today is roughly this:
65W: i5-6500
150W: gtx1070 or 120W gtx1060 or ~165W rx480
Which maxes you at 230W roughly.
If your computer also has a shitton of stuff in it, you might raise that to 300-350W.

>So sorry about your currency

You don't even know the half of it.

Most 950s had a 6-pin. Very few models did not.
amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Mini-Graphic-MINI-GTX950-2G/dp/B01FL6SYZU/
That was the only one I could find.
It's also a rather stupid argument because you can just forcibly throttle a GPU for a similar effect.

You don't know what you're fucking talking about

i´m planning in putting together the following for my cousin, the little guy wants it for gamming but he is definitely not a hardcore gammer and the heaviest i have ever saw him playing was garden warfare. I have some experience working on my own pc but this is the first time i put one together from zero, am i doing it right?

INTEL SKYLAKE I5 6500 3.2G S1151
GTX1060 6G DDR5 MSI GAMING X
GIGABYTE GA-H170M-D3H-GSM S1151
8GB DDR4-2400 KINGSTON FURY BL (x2)
SSD kingstone 120 gb
HD 1TB SATA3 64MB WD BLACK ED
750W XFX TS750 FULL WIRED PSU

im from argentina btw,

Which is better, Phenom II or Athlon II?

You can underclock your GPU, but if you cut the voltage too much you can cause problems for it.
There is likely a limit to how much you can throttle it yourself, like you can't turn a 1080 into a 750 just by underclocking, but you can slightly reduce its speeds and by extension its power consumption.

Care to explain how that's wrong?

>What you should look at is the price and quality/features of the PSU.
Oh believe me I am. I spent last few hours browsing jonnyguru.com. Still can't make up my mind.

Supernova G1 is too long (180mm), GS seems to be the best option. Thanks user.
>amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-GDDR5-Graphics-GV-N1060IXOC-3GD/dp/B01KQUD9U6/
In britbongistan it costs about 300$. So fuck that. Cheapest 1060 3gb costs 180£ (Palit), 6gb - 220£ (EVGA), used 970 - 170£, new - 190£ (Asus). Wat do?

Cool but in my case: irrelevant.

Western Digital Blac are loud and power hungry HDDs only suited for workstations.

The Western Digital Blue are the ones for normal consumers.

Also, NVIDIA themselves say that the 950 card is meant to have a 6-pin connector.
When its wattage is well over 75W, it is necessary, and the only way they can possibly sell the card without a 6-pin is to either reduce the performance of the card so it draws less, or have it strain your PCI-E slot with its 90W tdp.

Get 2x 4GB DDR4, you can always upgrade later easily with another 2x 4GB. Also that board only supports 2133MHz if I'm not mistaken

PSU is too strong, 450W will be enough
SSD is a little small, but fine
6GB 1060 is overkill if he's a light gamer

Can't answer without more info about purpose

So fucking what? The 1050 is on a smaller node = less power draw.

1060 is about 120W
tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal,4679-6.html

1060 has 1280 CUDA cores, 1050 will have 768 CUDA cores and significantly less RAM, which has a big effect on power draw for these cards
>768 / 1280 * 120 = 72W

They're clearly aiming for a card that doesn't NEED a 6-pin. Questions?

Currently have:

Intel Core i5 2500K
8 Go (2 x 4 Go) DDR3 1333MHz Corsair
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI)
P67A-GD65 (MS-7681)

Looking to have better performances in Source Filmmaker and similar 3D programs, also have video editing projects on Adobe Premiere with 4K footage.

Budget: 200-300€, can go up to 400€ if it's really worth it, living in France.

So I built my computer yesterday. Windows 10 was shitting out when I was downloading torrents, and doing basic computer stuff. I was confused I thought my pc was good.

But I have two slow hard drives in my desktop, and windows task manager said I was using the disk at 50%. But I think in reality that meant I was using one of my hard drives at 100%, right? I switched the torrents to be downloaded on the hard drive not running windows and now things run fine. And now task manager says I'm using "disk" at over 50%. So I thought I'd fixed it.

But now my torrent client is only downloading at 10kB/s on the hard drive not running windows.

>too long
Sorry, you didn't really mention an exact limit as far as length goes. Hope the GS works out for you though!

As far as your GPU issue goes, I would not buy a new 970.
I also couldn't find you a better priced 1060 3GB, sorry.
I suppose if you could actually find it for 180L that would probably be best.
Most that I saw looked to be around 190L-200L for the 3GB version, but maybe amazon.co.uk is just kinda shit?

Buy R9 Fury from germany for 300€.

Okay, but the gtx 960 and gtx 1060 have identical 120W tdp according to Nvidia.
Why would the 950 --> 1050 be different?

Also I don't think that power directly scales from CUDA count. If you are going to trust wcctech's claims on CUDA and VRAM, the GTX 1050 would also have more VRAM than the GTX 1060 3GB.

That sounds ridiculous, and I am surprised that you are so adamant about this.

I ordered a FX 6300 and the mATX case on the left.
I'm going to add 1 stick 8gb 1600MHz dd3 ram, 256 SSD, and a generic 500W PSU.
Like this: pcpartpicker.com/list/PpV9cc

I would use mainly Firefox and Eclipse on the pc with some Debian distro on it. Maybe also use it to work remotely by ssh-ing with my laptop.

Would adding a GPU help with performance in my case?

>Okay, but the gtx 960 and gtx 1060 have identical 120W tdp
TDP means little
tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038-8.html
Also both the 960 and the 950 have 2GB VRAM. In this case the 1060 has 6GB while the 1050 will have a 2GB config.

>I am surprised that you are so adamant about this.
I'm surprised that you don't see the light

The FX 6300 has no integrated GPU, so you'll need an old graphics card at the least, unless you're going completely headless and even then you'll need one for OS installation

The power doesn't scale to cores what the fuck
It's that pascal magic bruh
Like you're trying to be condescending but you yourself have no clue either

Things get more efficient dude it what happens
Ideally a GPU does no actual work energy so it should eventually come down to like a single watt, just the power used to send the signal
You get 119 watts of inefficiency

Thanks.

I did:
>It can't be too long, because in this case PSU is mounted face down (modular cables could cause problems).
Amazon in UK is fine, just not for GPUs.

Huh... I must admit I totally missed that idea. Thanks.

Power consumption doesn't scale perfectly with core/sp ratio, but 4GB less VRAM and a slower clockspeed (which will give more than a linear benefit to power consumption) clearly make up the difference

This is my last reply to you

Might upgrade to a 1080 Ti when they come out, mostly for photoshop/gaming.

I did things to your build
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZxCWtJ
You can still overclock this, by the way. But why would you want to?

>Can't answer without more info about purpose
Checking benchmark is enough to determine?

>1400$ water-cooled i7 build
>artic silver
>for 12$
Nigga what are you doing?! Get Prolimatech PK-3 or Noctua NT-H1. Costs same/less and is far more effective.

thanks a lot pal, i was thinking the SSD just for running the windows, you recommend a bigger one?
Also, since the 1060 is over, there is anything you would recommend?

thank you buddy

From the last thread, can anyone explain how this is a scam?

Yeah, 250GB is about right. My 120GB is cramped with even two AAA games.

3GB 1060 will be fine, really it depends on how much you want to spend.

Not exactly a scam, but your texture options won't be Ultra even at 1080p for a lot of AAA games.

I assume this is about the 1060 3G?
3GB of VRAM is low for todays standards and the 1060 3G is deliberately clocked down and gimped. It's simply a bad card that will soon be obsolete.
RX460/470 are better options at this point, the normal 1060 is fine, though.

You can get a real 1060 on sale (gotta wait) for nearly the same price
The 6GB 1060 is more than worth the

Yeah I liked having the condfidence that nvidias newest lineup is almost resolution based. You want 1080p maxed out every time? 1060. You want 1440p120fps? 1070. You want 4K and like... 40fps? 1080
The 1060 3G can't even smash through 1080p at higher frame rates, that's just whack, especially when a 980 will

>1440p120fps? 1070

That's stretching it quite a bit.

>460

I dunno man, I mean for a 100 bucks I thought it was a pretty decent card, then I went to compare it with my old 560 on CPU benchmark.

Granted, VRAM does play into it, but is the 460 an okay if you're on a tight budget or would it be better to wait and get a bigger budget.

>1070 running modern games at 120 FPS even on 1080p with good settings
>let alone at 1440p

Pajeet pls

>an okay deal if you're on a tight budget or would it be better to wait and get a bigger budget for a bigger card?

And 470 is out of the question, something weird is up with the pricing on that thing.

Fixed, my bad.

>The 1060 3G can't even smash through 1080p at higher frame rates
Not really true, it's only 10% slower than the full 1060 in most games

Ya can just turn down a few settings senpai, but locked 120 ain't happening on all games.

>ordered stuff from NCIX
>they request that stupid small deposit verification shit, takes a couple days for that
>day 4, they finally ship the components, minus the case
>the case, which was in stock when I ordered it, now shows 'back order' on their website

In the same time, I've received the components I ordered from Newegg. Does NCIX reserve orders once they're paid for? I'll be pretty pissed if they charged me for something that was in stock, only for it to actually end up as a back order after a full work week, without even informing me of it.

Complain and demand a discount

>1080 only averages 130fps at 1080p
>1070 is better than Titan X
This makes me feel better about my $420 spent

144Hz monitors confirmed meme

This is why I stopped using NCIX. I ordered three motherboards for two clients and myself. One of them came in (a client's) and the other two had been charged for, but was listed as "Out of Stock" when I checked online. I called their customer service and they said that they shipped my remaining motherboards out, but a week past and I still didn't receive a shipping number or an invoice. They refunded me once I called back, but by then I'd already lost the other customer who got tired of waiting.

If you don't play competitive shooters maybe.

What exactly does gsync do? I know the games tested here are likely power hungry as fuck but this might change my monitor decision
Is it refresh rate and GPU fps locked together or something?

tomshardware.com/forum/id-2430256/diffrence-nvidia-vsync-gsync.html
basically removes screen tearing.

Hello, Sup Forums. I bought an AM3+ motherboard on the Internet, and found these plastic supports are missing! Should I open a claim to request these items?