Get interview

>get interview
>it's with HR and not a manager

Who are HR to determine whether or not my education and experience and skills qualify for the job at hand when they don't even know what wget is.

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2015/04/03/microsoft-announces-pilot-program-to-hire-people-with-autism/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>HR
>Human Resources
Guess what you are OP. You are a (potential) resource for this company. I'm sure they've been told by the managers/whoever else what to look for in new employees.

Last big tech job I had made me go through three interviews. First was HR for initial screening. Second was with department manger. Last was with tech executive and department manger. Hope you didn't blow it by being an arse.

>Interview with HR
Show your communication skills, motivation and goals

>Interview with manager
Prove your knowledge and skills

Simple. Maybe a computer autist that can't communicate or work with others is what they want to avoid

>thinking being a resource of a company makes a difference
Hey OP, at least find a drug dealer and make money off of profits. Like really. There's a lot of homeless people nowadays and it just keeps getting worse. You be better off looking for a drug dealer than a shelter. Besides, shelters are the same as prisons. Doesn't make any difference.

Typical NEET thinks people will give him a job because he knows wget

Sounds like a shitty company. You wouldn't want to work for them.

Be friendly with HR, get followup with actual manager.

They're screening out the autists.

I'm going to guess it didn't go well.

>Ok, we need to hire a couple of new IT fellas.
>Let me post the job here and...
>...750 applications!
>Ok let us filter by education, experience, expected salary
>Oooh, we still have 50 potential candidates.
>HR, can you please narrow this down to about 5-6 people?
They will filter out those who cannot communicate, those who look like they are on the verge of having a psychotic episode, those who do not know how to dress for an interview.

Those are easy tests. Pass those first, before you get tested for skill.

not technology

>screening out the autists
Fucking kill yourself you fucking piece of shit

See? This is why you don't have a job.

This is actually a thing. Not a literal "make sure that we do not hire people with autism", but more of "if they are anti-social or cannot communicate, put them in the KIV folder".

seeing a lot of posts here about people knowing exactly how a hr department works, no evidence being posted at all proving this though

I am filtering resumes/CVs right now.

But they do.

no one lies on the internet, user

falcon how much do they make, I am a recent grad and would like to work under you

Two chicken tendies per day.

/thread

this

actual devs dont waste their time doing the first round of interviews for 1 billion people

>Malaysia
One of my friends had to disown her family and move to America to get away from sharia.
T.T

it's more like her family disowned her

Naw they treated her like shit because her husband died and beat her for not dressing properly.

This. Expect at least 2 rounds of interviews; the first to see if you're employable and a good fit for the company (more important in smaller outfits), and a second technical to asses your skills / abilities.

>interview
>ace the technical portion but interview with hiring manager is awkwardly short
>"you could definitely do the job but ultimately we went with someone with more experience"

>I should only be employed based on my abilities explicitly relevant to the job requested

Sorry user.
If companies only hired people based on their raw, existing abilities relevant exclusively to the position, companies would fucking suffer.
Soft skills matter just as much as your job-relevant skills. Nobody pushes a product out the door without communication, report writing, proper documentation, getting work done on time, staying on task, and not being a sperglord.

HR wants to make sure you're capable of being a reasonable human being. Your skills, experience, education, all that bullshit is fucking expendable. Theres at least 40 poo-in-loos with your identical or even better skill sets/experience that will do the work for 1/10 the cost, making you entirely unnecessary. But the company wants to hire an asset that doesn't think women should be kept at home. That hitting people they disagree with until they agree isn't a viable communication technique. That doesn't smell like a shit skin and has basic hygiene practices.

>I am a recent grad
We are hiring a web dev with 2+ years of experience, but we cannot hire someone on a first-world salary. So middle-class SEA income.

>would like to work under you
Would be happy to have more competent employees, but I can only hire Malaysians or people with a Malaysian Permanent Residence. Not my choice: The government will throw me in jail if I do anything illegal.

Salam brother-of-peace, and may Allah show you the light of Ramadan (which is identical to Christmas, right?). Did that husband beat his wife before or after he died?

Brother-of-peace, are you there?

Anyway, if anyone wants to know about job searches, CV/resume tips and criticism, interviewing, ask away.

We should have an "IT job general". It would certainly be more beneficial than the guts/desktop/warstation generals that are permanently on the front page.

>9 years
Looks like you have applicants that are hella overqualified

Yeah, but we had a HUGE economic downturn recently, so I can actually get candidates with more experience for a reasonable salary.

>be autistic frogposter
>HR sees i can't communicate with other people

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>get interview
>think this is going to be great
>get mail saying the head of IT is there, the head of digitization, a IT developer and the HR konsultant will be there
>also says that I will have to prepare a presentation talking about some work i'm proud of
>already shitting my pants

hold me guys

The interview is to determine that 1) you're not just bullshitting your credentials and potentially wasting everyone's time and 2) that you are a culture fit for the company

This means you are shortlisted. If you can keep the macaroni in your pockets from spilling out, you will get the job (barring some other candidate being better/cheaper than you).

I like how you picked wget of all standard UNIX tools.

They're literally filtering out the best computer guys by focusing on horseshit like "communication skills".

>horseshit like "communication skills"
Communication skills are the #1 factor that companies look for, more important than the job-required skills.

HR is run by women 95% of the time.

So get used to talking to women, else you'll fail the interview.

>more important than the job-required skills

Maybe that's why most of them can only produce dogshit.

>best computer guys
the best computer guys aren't completely fucking retarded, anyone who can think straight enough to write good code should be able to communicate properly

also you could try
blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2015/04/03/microsoft-announces-pilot-program-to-hire-people-with-autism/

Welp, guess I'll stay jobless till I die

Global production (and efficiency) has only been increasing since... forever.

Companies are not looking to hire an orator on par with Churchill, just someone who can communicate effectively. Effective communication skills are easy to pick up.

>Global production (and efficiency) has only been increasing since...

You're confusing quality with quantity.

How could you commit such a crass mistake? I was very clear in my post.

>Companies are not looking to hire an orator on par with Churchill

You're severely underestimating my anxiety

My sincerest apologies. You were the paragon of eloquence when you mentioned "dogshit", but it flew right over my head.

Global production has increased in both quality and quantity. Thanks to Western countries, all areas of life have improved tremendously, and all items that can be produced, can now be produced with higher quality. From cars and planes to toothbrushes and shoes, we can now get a higher quality version of everything when compared to ~70 years ago.

And thanks to China, we can get cheap copies of everything, and in great abundance!

So no, I am not confused. Quality and quantity have both increased.

And let us keep the topic to jobs, interviews, and getting hired.

You wanna practice? I can give you a call and do a mock phone interview. I have a list of question already prepared.

>the quality of software has increased
You obviously have never seen the code the software industry has been spitting out lately.

Do not base your measurements on githubbers who took 4-week KodingBootKamp courses to take selfies and put "I am such a nerd lol" on tweetergram. Yes, there are a LOT of useless fools out there, but genuine talent is also out there.

this

Falcon could you talk about CV/resume tips and what to avoid?
Then could you talk about interviewing, and maybe give that list of questions you mentioned?
I'd be thankful.

>Do not base your measurements on githubbers who took 4-week KodingBootKamp courses to take selfies and put "I am such a nerd lol" on tweetergram
I base my measurements on the majority of the workforce, I can't cherrypick.

>Yes, there are a LOT of useless fools out there, but genuine talent is also out there.
But genuine talent is the exception rather than the rule, especially now that corporations are massively importing foreign workforce. And genuine talent is getting filtered out by stupid HR policies preferring people who have better subjective "qualities" like "communication skills" and "diversity" - which is the kind of shit you're defending.

>interviewing retards for an entry level IT position
>"Sorry I'm not very good with interviews"
>"That's alright"
>into the trash it goes
>"Don't call us we'll call you"

And outside of talent there are a lot of companies with strict QA that make it impossible for software to get shipped without ironing the majority of the bugs.

if I only have certifications and no formal education/piece of paper, how can I at least get my application considered (this is for entry level IT positions btw)

also how can I even put self-education on a resume? I know linux better than almost anyone I know but I can't really put "I taught myself how to computer" on a resume

This is the list of questions I used for phone interviews. It is for a web dev position.

>cannots
Meaning things you "cannot accept". This is the list without cleaning up. Remember that it is for a phone interview, not a real face-to-face interview.

>could you talk about CV/resume tips and what to avoid?
There is a lot on that. Ask some specifics?

>companies hiring on diversity
You're a living walking meme. No one this side of SV and Seattle hires on diversity or anything remotely similar. Even in the most cucked of countries (Germany) the only way to get an IT job is to be the man for the job.

Sure thing, Pajeet.

>specifics
If I don't have any jobs prior to this and I'm fresh out of college should I focus more on education or on internships in the CV?

So women are at fault for the gender bias in tech?

People skills are more important than tech skills.
Nobody wants to work with an asshole.
Nobody wants to work with someone who doesn't admit their mistakes.
Nobody wants to work with someone who can't communicate effectively.

Exactly.

>subjective "qualities" like "communication skills"
This is not subjective. A manager needs to hire an employee who understands the tasks given. A company is not one person: It is a team. Teamwork requires communication, and without communication, teamwork breaks down.

>and "diversity"
Hold on mate, do not get confused. 99.99% of the real world hires people to get the job done. No one cares about anything other than "the ability to get the job done". What happens in San Francisco stays in San Francisco.

>how the people around you feel is more important than you getting the job right

No. The fault lies in being less skilled than competitors.

Management asks HR to weed out skill less hacks. Most women and most men get weeded out. Few remaining ones are left to compete, with men out competing women.

But women are attracted to men, so they hire attractive men. Where as they hate other women, so they don't hire other women.

you don't seem to understand that nowadays literally every male regardless of age can do web dev and it work. You will get the same autistic quality regardless.

so it really is just a question of who's more likeable

>have interview in 8 hrs
>they gave me an assignment that probably takes 5 hrs
>only did half of it, don't wanna do the rest, probably won't do the rest
>they actually expect me to do it
>already know I won't accept their offer if they give one
>going for the interview experience

feelsgoodman

>Teamwork requires...
Tech teamwork requires a lot of more important stuff. Sure good communication is maybe "nice", but you have no fucking clue what tech teamwork requires. Read Introduction to the Team Software Process, by Watts Humphrey.

>99.99% of the real world hires people to get the job done.
Getting the job done is one thing. Getting it done with quality is another. Again, you've never seen the code this industry has been producing lately.

>web dev
You just moved the goalposts, m80.

Entry level positions can be had with no formal education, as long as you can CLEARLY prove that you have the skills needed to get the job done.

Yes, you are at a disadvantage, as companies are more likely to hire someone with a degree. There is no getting away with that. However, you can let them know that you are willing to work for a lower wage to help counter that. Once you have a few years of real experience, then you vs the other guy with the degree does not matter any more.

>also how can I even put self-education on a resume?
Put the skills that you learned in the skills section, and put the projects/work that you have done using those skills in the "work experience" section. No need to mention that you learned those skills by yourself.

I am the HR manager. Ask me anything.

you need to be able to communicate reasonably well or else you can't get the job done well and you'll waste everyone's time you fucking idiot

Yeah, it's unfortunately true.
Becareful not to point out mistakes or problems with stuff your co-workers set up.

I've been interviewing around a lot since June. I have a full-time job, but I've hated it since day one.

I'm hanging in there, but it's discouraging when I get turned down for even the most tier 1 tech support jobs. I know something will come along and they'll pull me into their company. This needs to happen NOW. I only have so much mental fortitude left with teaching.

Pic related, it's how I feel at work.

gtfo low iq fuckface

fpbp, stop being an autist and maybe you'll get a job OP

>750 applications
holy fuck where is that? we get one every couple of days.

>
Yes, you are at a disadvantage, as companies are more likely to hire someone with a degree. There is no getting away with that. However, you can let them know that you are willing to work for a lower wage to help counter that. Once you have a few years of real experience, then you vs the other guy with the degree does not matter any more.

This guy is right. I got into the industry without any formal education. After 4 years I got a job with the university, same time it would take to get a degree.

Pretty common to have HR do interviews and hiring.

Your resume shows then you should have the skills, HR makes sure you're a good fit personality wise.

That won't go well.. Have you ever seen two autistic people try to work on a group project? I have and they were in my group. We ended up almost failing cuz they did nothing but fight and wouldn't let me our the other girl have any input.

and... filterd

>This is not subjective.
How do you objectively measure it then, shittard?

>a good fit personality wise
How do you objectively measure personality, fuckface?

>How do you objectively measure personality
A personality test.

>should I focus more on education or on internships in the CV?
Put both!

After reading several hundred (no exaggeration) CVs, I can tell you want I would like to see:

-Make it neat and tidy
-Take the time to TRIPLE check to ensure there are no grammar or spelling mistakes
-Make is short. I have gotten 18-page CVs, and they are not fun. 2-3 pages is good. I hear in the USA they prefer 1-page resumes.
-Showcase the skills that you have that fit the job. Maybe you have 50 different skills... I probably do not care about 45 of them. Remove everything that is not relevant to the job that you are applying for.
-Make sure that you list your previous work experience (or internship), and showcase the major projects that you worked on. Highlight the relevant skills that were used in those projects.

If you like, take your current CV, remove your identifying info, and post it here. We can give you tailored advice!

Tfw my university just had its leadership board replaced twice and then sued because the state government and people thought it should be more diverse and we should hire more diverse professors and faculty/staff. (Rather than hire the best candidates available)

You've been reading too many ladies' magazines, user.

>I can tell you want I would
what*

>Make is short
it*

English as she are spoke. My apologies.

I did not get a job I was overqualified for because of HR. They only care about your education and they will asses your value of the job. It's like having an interview with your girls parents. They don't cause how hard you can plow her pussy. They want to know where did you go to school and your intentions.

>angry frogposters afraids of interviews :^)

the bay area is fucking gay, not everyone has fallen for the diversity fag meme, not everywhere is san francisco the capital of the gays

Nice truism, you monkey.

true story, my last job interview:

> INTERVIEWER: say you have a night off with no responsibilities, what do you do?
> ME: to be honest, I'll watch some tv shows on my laptop
> really? what would you watch?
> "anime"
> anime?
> yep. y-you guys are fine with that around here, r-right?
> well, I don't really... that's the japanese cartoon stuff right?
> uh... y-yep hahah

ended up getting the job and told it was a great interview

Jesus fucking christ
FUCK OFF, you useless, obnoxious faggot

Really? I guess Europe is too far behind wherever you are(I'm guessing the US). The only sector here that has forced diversity is banking and honestly they deserve it.

>projecting your insecurity this hard

You deserve it for not ignoring tripfags.

I'd honestly lie if I was you. I'm too much of a faggot to reveal my power level.

University =/= software company

Universities tend to be left of center and will prioritize diversity—this is a good and bad thing. Companies run the gamut.

I was writing this CV to apply for an internship with the company I work with now. They offer "carrier advancement opportunities" and IT internships are one of them

it's not finished by a long shot but this is the rough draft I came up with.

Never be ashemed of who you are user. Be the best self you can be and be proud of it. Only then people will actually respect you =).