GNU + Linux

>GNU + Linux

>GNU 'or' Linux

GNU dash Linux

GNU and Linux

I just use linux. Is it worth getting gnu as well?

GNU ; Linux

GNU & Linux

Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

Lilux

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

Lunix

GNU with Linux

Okay, there really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

LOONIX

>systemd/linux/wayland/firefox

Actually, what you're refering to as Loonix, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.

Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

L̴̷̨̮̺͖̯̟̤̰͕̘̤͘Ư̢͖͇͙̥̞̙̲̙̥͙͓͞M̧̢̰͖̤͈̰͎̮̲̦̗̞̱I̵̴̛̖̪̖͇͔̜͔̤̗̕͝X̛̘̥͎̮̖̱̼̰͓̘̞̘̻͎̤͈͖̠̹͞͞͠͞

Lignux

Most GNU/Linux users are using a graphical interface which is a crucial part of the system for productivity tasks. The whole system is basically Linux with GNU userland and Xorg graphical system. Please give credit where credit is due and call it GNU/Linux/Xorg.

any one else try remix os yet?

>GNU - Linux

>MS-DOS

Nope, but feel free to give us some insights.
Is it any good? Fast? Stable?
Can you install it on a machine, or just run it from a stick? VM-ing it was a pain [at least on VMware].
Can you install stuff from google play?
Or being x86 you kiss your apps good bye?

>remix us

Is this subliminal messaging for assimilation of immigrants and polluting the gene pool???

> TRUE

>dumb frog poster

Tried it, really shitty feeling, android is not made to be controlled by mouse.

shoo shoo Stallman, go back to your basement.

GNU!! Linux

There are things such as GNU - Linux. You can run GNU with Hurd or kFreeBSD instead of Linux.

> I have an Android phone. Should I try installing something like Ubuntu Touch on it?

Maybe. I've heard some good things about it.

>I've been thinking about trying linux
>EXCUSE ME, I THINK YOU MEAN GNU + LINUX
>Okay nevermind then

Naming GNU/Linux is accurate. For the most part, you do not interact with Linux, you interact with the userland on top of it, whose foundation are the GNU programs. If somebody swaps the Linux kernel with something else, the user may not even notice.

It's not just about accuracy. GNU fights for the software freedom, while Linus does not really care. Naming the OS Linux doesn't help the GNU folk spread the message of free software.

Woosh

I'll be happy to elaborate further.

Please do

The only relevant part of gnu in Linux is GCC.

Let's call windows "Visual C++/Windows"

Linux is just the kernel, the software is Gnu.

Linux is the part of the system that does the talking with the hardware and should ideally be invisible to the user. There are other kernels that can be used instead of Linux, such as .

The basic utilities you use in the shell as well as the GCC compiler are the GNU utilities. They are the foundation of what the user actually interfaces with.

Therefore, you can have GNU without Linux (not used much, though, since Linux is the most mature kernel out there) and Linux without GNU (think Android).

Linux is where all the magic happens, it's the only open source kernel with proper hardware support and drivers, all other replacements are just meme kernels. *BSD are garbage because the kernel has shit hardware support, nobody gives a shit about the coreutils and they can easily be replaced, eg android or busybox. Once linux moves to clang, gcc will be finally be trashed for good.

> busybox
Busybox is a last-resort option rather than something you would like to use on a daily basis. You can always use the FreeBSD core utilities instead of the GNU toolchain, though.

>systemd/Linux