What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Linux happened

GNU

LINUX SHILLS BANKRUPT AND FINISHED

oh wait, they were already all bankrupt :^)

lmao

>implying popularity = quality

freetards

>implying obscurity = quality

>linux dominates just about every market except for desktops
>aspies need to have a autistic stimout over it

>>linux dominates just about every market except for desktops

You can't be serious

Dumb frog poster see

>muh club

>Says the assposter

>unironically being a passhole

>wikipedia.org

ebin.

Any linux distros came to be known as hipsterish.

What dominates on servers?
What's most commonly used in mobile devices?
What's running embedded devices?

>What dominates on servers?
Windows.

Maybe if you narrow it down to outward facing web servers Linux dominates.

windows

>LE EBIC GRASP ON THE STAW XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Because people now search for *insert distro name here* instead of typing "Linux".

woah there autist. it's not my fault that linux is a joke that nobody uses despite what your made up wikipedia statistics tell you

"no"

>Because people now search for *insert distro name here* instead of typing "Linux".

lel

They actually tried it

Site name?

i dont even use linux fag

lemonparty.org

Or database servers, storage servers, compute servers, DNS servers, basically anything besides some of your small/medium businesses using windows for their AD/Exchange servers.
Even then, less and less businesses are doing that now because Linux really isn't hard, and Windows licensing fees are another cost to be cut.

Because Linux devs (specifically UI devs at Unity, KDE, and Gnome) started doing exactly what people used to use Linux to get away from.

Add in to that the declining use of the desk/lap top computer in general.

nothing really

google.com/trends

The fractured development of linux - demonstrated by the inability of linux to create a suitable copy of the windows 7 desktop for decades meant that consumers were always going to go elsewhere.

The development of linux moved from the desktop to the server and the open web. It's not that the linux desktop is dead, it's that the linux desktop is now redundant.

>assuming people install windows
>implying 95% of people don't stay on default OSs

shit chart

> It's not that the linux desktop is dead, it's that the desktop is now redundant.

Fixed.

Thanks user

>What dominates on servers?
>Windows.
What are you smoking and can I get a license for it?

yeah pretty much. Technology is moving away from the desktop towards a giant mesh of connected devices with userlands running on many layers of abstraction and virtualisation. In this sphere Linux is more powerful than ever.

In the end it turned out that the complexity of creating 'the modern internet' and the lack of a silver bullet in software engineering lead companies to share code and create open standards to drive down costs. Even now as we speak there is gaining momentum behind the abolition of software patents in the US.

It's weird to think that Stallman actually won. He didn't win by appealing to the better nature of humanity (because that's literally never worked ever), but really as a by-product of capitalism trying to maximise resources.

The new fight is for privacy and user data. All of the Linux evangelists now campaign for privacy because that's what matters here, in this time. Nobody gives a fuck what window manager you use.

Anyone else's searches show a regular dip at the end of the year?

I'd say that 90% of people just use their computer to watch videos/movies, browse social media, Skype, and maybe occasionally work from home or type a paper for school.
Why would they go through the hassle of installing, configuring, and wrangling Linux to work for them. It literally has no benefit to the average user.

>It literally has no benefit to the average user.

It's free as in free beer and free as in freedom

kek

I doubt it's actually changed all that much when it comes to raw numbers. There's just more and more normies on the internet using google since 2004.

(You)

Most desktops come with Windows preinstalled, and good luck trying to get someone to lower the quality of their computing experience because "free as in freedom"

Linux faggots can never be convinced, no matter how many times they are told, that the terminal is not easier to work with than GUI.

it proves that nothing is wrong with linux desktop growing. is as stable as any other os installs

No games hahahaha

This thread is retarded Google trends are relative search volume. The graph just means that a lower percentage of people search for Linux now than 2004 not that Linux has lost any absolute popularity.

The percentage is lower because way more normies use the internet now.

This entire thread and all the discussion it it is fucking pointless.

I wonder what causes the monthly ubuntu ripple. Release schedule?

It's because blatantly false assertions aren't very convincing. What are we, Trump voters?

Seems like it. Appears to peak with the release schedule.

According to the site "Windows" is also collapsing. This doesn't mean anything.

really makes you think

>the year of the linux desktop was right, it's just the adoption is inverse

Chrome OS is the future according to Linus.

They found out what it was, and never needed to google it again?

Plus no one ever says "Install Linux", its usually "Install Ubuntu".

Millennials grew up

>year of the Linux

bullshit. If you actually use linux, your rate of using ‘linux’ in search terms goes up

wrong.

If you use linux, then you don't use the botnet.

:^)

>use kleenex
>need to google every step
>kleenex users actually google "how to add start menu to my kleenex distro"

Just give up and use Windows already. No one takes you serious, you don't have a job because employers see it on your resume and ROFLMFAO before throwing it in the bin.

One day you'll grow out of this kleenex fad.

No one uses linux on pc. They use it on phones.

look at xp and ubuntu at one point hmm...

Daily reminder Linux is for NEETS with no job potential.

Say that to my 300k starting faggot.

Imaginary job. You do realise people that code stuff for linux use Windows machines to do it, right? It's just a hobby and shouldn't be taken seriously.

What's number 9 and 11 on the McDonald's menu? I'm sure you're well acquainted with this since you clearly work there mopping floors and licking windows.

That would be a George Bush, sir.

That'll be $1.75, and your complete submission to our lord and savior Jesus Christ.

Mazel tov!