Why don't we just call it GNU and not even mention the name Linux...

Why don't we just call it GNU and not even mention the name Linux? We don't mention NT when referring to Windows or Linux when referring to Android, this OS is GNU, not Linux

Feel free to use GNU by itself

Because GNU is not a significant part of the OS

GNU isn't even a part of OS

>GNU
an optional compiler and toolchain (you can also use llvm/clang/lldb, cmake, etc) for optional programming languages (C, C++....)
optional UNIX shell (you don't even need a clone of it, any language can execute UNIX commands and deal with stdin/stdout more elegantly than a derivative of a derivative of algol and a few beers)
optional GUI toolkit and DE (by far the worst offered)
optional SSL library (and a shitty one compared to open and libre ssl)
GRUB - not part of the OS, a bootloader for multiple OSes. Strictly speaking, the linux kernel can boot without a loader, or use a more barebones one. This is a user option with significance on the scale of seat covers in your car.
>meanwhile
X11 and wayland - UNIVERSAL AND MANDATORY FOR USING A GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE ON LINUX, NO GNU ALTERNATIVE. GRAPHICS ARE A CORE OS FUNCTION FOR MODERN DESKTOP AND SERVER SYSTEMS.
Systemd - THE DEFINITIVE SOLUTION TO INIT AND USERSPACE PLUMBING. ALL ALTERNATIVES ARE NONGNU, BUT MAY UTILIZE GNU TOOLS FOR SCRIPTS (AND MAY NOT!). INIT IS A CORE OS FUNCTION.
Udev (now part of systemd) - THE ONLY WAY TO MANAGE DEVICES ON LINUX. DEVICE MANAGEMENT IS A CORE OS FUNCTION.
Polkit, consolekit, getty/agetty, I could go on for days about all the little programs that sit in the background, providing you with basic OS functions you take for granted in anything, unix or not, that aren't GNU projects.

GNU made a crappy partial userland.
>it's GNU/Linux!
No. It's Freedesktop.org/Linux or XDG/Linux. What are you going to do, install cygwin on windows 7 and start calling it "GNU" because only glibc and bash matter?

>muh OS defined by posix

Most people do already just refer to the distro name.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

I know you didn't read anything and just want to shitpost so i'm just going to tell you that anime is for autistic pedophile faggots and that weebs belong on reddit and /avb/

I know you're a newfag and just want to shitpost but this is an anime discussion board and the post that you are referring to in fact does not contain any anime but rather a video game character drawn in what is commonly referred to in the west as the "anime style".

I wouldn't know because I don't play video games like /avb/ "human" garbage.

Feel free to use Windows without NT.

> Systemd - THE DEFINITIVE SOLUTION TO INIT
Stopped reading here.

because it's already known as linux

the whole naming debate is extremely petty and symptomatic of internal community problems hindering wider adoption of linux

This desu.

We call it Linux because that's the only part of the OS whose name is somewhat in the public consciousness. Yes it's kind of a bummer for Stallman, but it's a bummer for many people who have worked on essential parts of "The Linux Desktop" and get far too little recognition.

Agreed. And there would be plenty of other people that should get credit, too. Stallman is just jerking himself off with the continued emphasis on only GNU (and at the beginning of the name, on top of that).

I call it Linux. I also use the term "FLOSS" because I'm not autistic like Stallman.

>l-linux is only part of the work
Yeah, the lion's share. How's Hurd coming along, friend?

It's Linux.

Even "normies" play video games
You're officially worse than an average NEET.

1. Obviously the various parts of GNU can be replaced with other non-GNU things. That's the freedom of free software.

2. GNU/Linux is useful (and more accurate) because the GNU distinguishes it as an operating system from anything else that uses the Linux kernel.

3. The importance of GNU or GNU/Linux is in its respect for, and defense of, free software. What do all of those important non-GNU things that you listed have in common? All licensed under GNU GPL, else a GPL-compatible free software license.

4. GNU deeply embedded in the roots of the operating system's history. GNU's goal was (and is) to be a completely free (as in freedom) operating system. This started in ~1985, before the Linux kernel.

Conclusion: Without GNU, the Linux kernel would've likely use a more restrictive license. It also wouldn't have had all the free components needed for it to function as an OS, so it wouldn't have caught on so fast.

Stallman thinks of FLOSS as the most neutral term you can say for free/libre vs open source.

Yeah, and that's why he doesn't like it:
>"We in the free software movement don't use either of these terms, because we don't want to be neutral on the political question. We stand for freedom, and we show it every time—by saying “free” and “libre”— or “free (libre)”."

Straight from the GUN page "FLOSS and FOSS." Pretty autistic.

BSD ftw.

GNU software is shit.

>Udev (now part of systemd)

gentoo project started maintaining a systemd independent fork fwiw

What if I don't use any GAHNOO software with Linux?

IT'S JUST LINUX, FSFCÜCKS GTFO