Let's be real Sup Forums, if we want Linux to succeed as a desktop OS...

Let's be real Sup Forums, if we want Linux to succeed as a desktop OS, if we want the year of the Linux desktop to actually happen, we need to unify behind a distro to stop confusing and scaring newfriends.

Since a DE isn't as important because it can be changed any time after installation I'm thinking we disregard that completely and just focus on sorting out the best beginner distro first. Which DE a person may like is subjective and it's wrong to judge a distro based on the DE which can be changed extremely easily.

Hopefully thanks to this, next time we get a newfriend asking about which Distro is the best for beginners we'll have much less confusion and spam.

Part of the reason why Linux is struggling to gain popularity as a desktop OS is that it's too fragmented and there's simply too much choice, and for someone who doesn't know any better, for someone who will come here for advice, we shouldn't frighten them away by bickering amongst ourselves.

Post your distro below, explain why you think it's best, and other anons may debate with you over why it's a good choice or not.

I'd marry a black woman that looked like this. Any anons feel the same way?

I had to use an image to start the thread and I figured I'd get more replies because black women have become quite popular on Sup Forums

she's ain't black she mixed I see a hint of Asians

I might be insane, but there's a touch of Middle Eastern too?
Afghani?

Debian because it takes about a week to get it installed and the sense of accomplishment is just great. Anyone else feel the same?

I feel like Ubuntu because it's basically Debian but more bleeding edge and designed to be easier to use? Idk.
Also a lot of people will have already heard about Ubuntu if they've heard about Linux.

What are the differences between Ubuntu and Debian?

I disagree. Among the reasons Open Source is great is that we have choice.

Thankfully, there's no chance everybody will "unify behind a distro", so I'm not worried.

She's black.

The problem is the facists who want to keep Linux an exclusive club and the fools who hate Ubuntu for no valid reason.

Nigeria's not in Asia

Only for beginners user.

Presenting someone with too much choice, and then bickering amongst ourselves which choice is better, Will really put off many newcomers to the Linux community.

It's so bad that many people will simply create bait threads over which distro is best and then watch anons fight it out.

In all seriousiness if you want a linux distrubution to get into the destop market it needs to

do anything the customer wants with out editing anything

IE gaming , installing , many programs workign without a termanial (and a termanial needs to have manual or booklet avaible to buy or download for its full use
(the ramdom joe blog user will not bother with research or goggling because he/shit/it or whatever will just expect it to go)

-It has to be stupid people proof
in other words they should be able to boot and logon and just do shit with out hanging,lossing data , resetting or just giving errors with out the fucking termanial)

-install most be able to be done via mose and clicking on a icon

-it must have sound, video , gpu , cd/dvd drive ,NIC and basic HDD support. basic drivers

-it must out of the box support all API's

- must support more than just hacking and games it must have at least one movie player.

-it must have private user files and folder sections

-it must be dynamic and asethically pleasing to play around with

- it must have flashy Icons and it much be fluid in use this means access to all major fuctions like HDD's/ SDD storage needs to be in your face.

it must be able to be customised to be simple to change things like resolutions and color res etc.

it must have OS support from a reliable and professional support team.

Batch commands like autoexec where great for all this dumb things like auto mounting drives, logons , moving you to a drive of your choice with out you having to do anything

shortcuts iwth keyboards great for doing things like copy and paste and selecting etc.

people hate text then like pictures and and dumbed down GUI and makes you look like a nonce and a low IQ caveman.

the OS should eb baby sittng you not the other way around that is what nomies want.

Isn't that Ubuntu pretty much?

Why the fuck did you write this? Several Linux OSes do all of this as well as or better than Windows.

You're an absolute fucking idiot. Kill yourself, trip fag.

THIS

Sounds like it.

smndmn

You're 10 years too late, we already did that. It's called ubuntu and has >90% of the desktop linux market.

The biggest issue that linux desktop has is the permission system. Unless it goes the windows route where you have the option to have a little popup go "Do you want to become sudo now?" So people can just get shit done without having to go into a terminal.

Yeah I know for us computer literate people thats not a big fucking deal, but you need more then just the computer literates to make a desktop OS get mainstream success.

People want shit to "just werk". Even if it means its less secure.

Mint or Ubuntu

>It has to be stupid people proof
WONTFIX
>install most be able to be done via mose and clicking on a icon
App store, ubuntu/mint web app store
>it must have sound, video , gpu , cd/dvd drive ,NIC and basic HDD support. basic drivers
Already has. Although support comes 2-10 months later than windows
>it must out of the box support all API's
Linux actually supports more APIs than windows
> must support more than just hacking and games it must have at least one movie player.
What? If you are asking for media player there's mpv. SMPlayer uses mpv as a back end as well so you got GUI control panels there
>it must have private user files and folder sections
Do you want to hide directories? Simply add a dot (.) in the beginning of the name. Many file managers like dolphin has "hide folder" option in the context menu. You can make any folder you like in your home directory
>it must be dynamic and asethically pleasing to play around with
Already is
>major fuctions like HDD's/ SDD storage needs to be in your face.
Unix and Linux emphasises on the use of home directories instead of partitions. However you can see the bottom panel of your file manager to see the storage info. There's also conky
>it must be able to be customised to be simple to change things like resolutions and color res etc.
KDE
>it must have OS support from a reliable and professional support team.
OpenSUSE, RHEL, Oracle, Deepin
>Batch commands like autoexec where great for all this dumb things like auto mounting drives, logons , moving you to a drive of your choice with out you having to do anything
They are called .sh files. Systemd takes care of auto mount, logins already. I don't understand your " moving you to a drive of your choice with out you having to do anything" part
>shortcuts iwth keyboards great for doing things like copy and paste and selecting etc.
Are you retarded? Keyboard shortcuts exists in every OS
>WONTFIX
>WONTFIX

no matter how many times you shill them they will steal be black.

>we need to unify behind a distro to stop confusing and scaring newfriends.

it's called ubuntu

>Which DE a person may like is subjective

but things like package managers (or lack thereof), binary or source distributions, availability of packages in repos and the software licences they use are all objective, okay

>it's too fragmented and there's simply too much choice

have you ever tried looking for a program to do something on windows where you don't immediately know the best solution? you'll find dozens of tools in various states of maintenance going back over a decade and another hundred that exist only as online tools

choice isn't the problem, it's complete lack of care to research anything that's the problem

>Why the fuck did you write this?

it's bait

>implying OP isn't also bait

Actually, I think what will jumpstart the shift to Linux will ultimately be exclusives --- perhaps with games. Imagine if PC versions of Bethesda games only existed on Linux. Can you imagine what would happen to Linux? It'd be incredible.

People still disagree and fight over it.
>it just werks for me

>shitty nigger thread
Kill yourself, faggot.

polkit has been in fedora for about as long as vista has been released, quit talking out your fucking arse

>movie player
It already has MPV or VLC. Most distributions come with a media player which just works™, and if you're not satisfied there are dozens of choices for a media player.
>private user files and folders
You can hide folders, you can password protect files, you can have multiple users on most distros, you can encrypt files on the go. There are lots of options.
>keyboard shortcuts
You're just baiting now. The first think that pops-up after you install Ubuntu is the list of keyboard shortcuts. All of your points actually apply to Ubuntu, except driver support which usually comes every 6-12 months. People rarely buy newly released hardware anyway, and those who do are either apple-tards or Windows gamers who don't even care about Linux.

A week!? Jezus christ how?
Debian is mostly about half an hour for me and Arch takes me about 20 minutes.
Debian litteraly can come with a gui or ncurses interface so how is it difficult.

>Niggershill still samefagging his posts in an attempt to gain Sup Forums's approval

This is some serious case of autism. Black people are really insecure.

Also Ubuntu comes pretty much preconfigured for most people

> she's ain't black she mixed I see a hint of Asians
user, make-up does that to a woman.

I would reply to this, but you put a disgusting nigger in the image.

So you chose to reply claiming you're not going to reply instead of contributing?

Fucking hell that's something a 12 year old would do.

This. Arch is very simple to install if you're not too lazy to type, you can also use Antergos.

>if we want Linux to succeed as a desktop OS,
It already did, I've been using it for years.

>stop confusing and scaring newfriends
>for someone who will come here for advice, we shouldn't frighten them away by bickering amongst ourselves
Nigga this is Sup Forums. There will always be contrarians, trolls and windrones.
It has nothing to do with fragmentation, we're just a really toxic bunch of people with far too much free time on their hands.