Musk was ousted in October 2000 from his role as CEO due to disagreements with other company leadership...

>Musk was ousted in October 2000 from his role as CEO due to disagreements with other company leadership, notably over his desire to move PayPal's Unix-based infrastructure to Microsoft Windows. In October 2002, PayPal was acquired by eBay for US$1.5 billion in stock, of which Musk received US$165 million.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk#X.com_and_PayPal

>Musk became CEO of the combined company and decided it was time for a technological overhaul. Specifically, he wanted to toss out Unix and put everything on a Microsoft platform.

>That may sound innocent enough to laypeople but not to Unix zealots like Levchin and his team. A holy war ensued. Musk lost. The board fired him and brought back Thiel while Musk was on a flight to Australia for his first vacation in years. “That’s the problem with vacations,” Musk deadpans.

fortune.com/2007/11/13/paypal-mafia/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e_Bnp72Tft8
linuxjournal.com/article/4196
youtu.be/6fzRSE_p1Ys
politico.com/story/2016/05/elon-musk-rocket-defense-223161
youtube.com/watch?v=gOuOulH02bs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If it's a question about adopting Windows or firing him, then the latter is very obviously more reasonable.

like no question about it
its the stupidest thing Ive ever read

his whole existing team of unix developers would be useless and needed to be let go

and they would need to pay millions to microsoft for licensing and be at mercy of their support time lines

and so much work would needed to be redone, probably thousands of men hours in development cost...

strange that the board did not have balls to call him and fire him, but do it when he leaves for vacation... seems like they feared he might do something "unpredictable"

even microsoft doesn't use windows for their big servers (bing etc) and has azure linux meme

fucking sad how dumb musk is

>seems like they feared he might do something "unpredictable"
Boot a Win XP live CD on their mainframe?

Don't trust balding men who get hair transplants. I know several and all of them are scum.

There's literally nothing wrong with using Windows for a service platform. Tons of huge companies use it. Some of the biggest sites with the longest uptimes are running on Windows servers.

The IT staff disagreeing isn't for any technical reason, it's just because they don't know the Windows platform and fear they will either have to learn it quickly or be put out of jobs.

it was in 2000 before even win xp came out
yes, its dumb in retrospect but it was less dumb back then

There is justice.

The problem is that you already have a solid development and maintenance team that has competence on how to run your service on Unix. It's pants on head retarded to just throw that out the windows (pun intended) and having to start looking for a bunch of new hires.

A massive migration like that is only justifiable if there is something seriously limiting with the platform you're already running on.

Musk is a fucking snake oil salesman. Millineials are too dumb to put 2 and 2 together about the futility of manned space missions.

He's swindling millions from billionaires to send them to their cold red graves on mars.

Winblows is almost at the forefront of a full-fledged UNIX systems styled operations for task management and interface relations working right alongside it as well. This dude sees the future. Move forward to the future oldfag.

A bit funny considering he has hopped on the linux meme now

But it before windows server even existed

it would have been shitty windows 2000...

>Over 60% of top 10million servers are unix based
>Over 90% of top million servers are unix based

If you want to work on the top, you learn unix.

>He's swindling millions from billionaires to send them to their cold red graves on mars.

Whats is wrong with this?

In 2000, Linux was shit and "Unix" meant Solaris or HPUX (AIX in some rare cases), or one of the now defunct BSDs. Today, Linux has proven its worth as a the OS that powers infrastructure and high-end servers.

Fraud is illegal

>inb4 why is it fraud
Private industry will never launch a manned mission to Mars, it's simply too expensive.

>In the middle of something that could literally mean life or death
>hol up, windows server has to reboot to install updates.

>not supporting using billionaire money to simultaneously fund space travel and genocide the 1%

Tesla isnt snake oil
Its the last hope for luxury american auto
everything else probably is though

Tesla looks gay and it just uses giant lipo battery so you explode when u crash

>Tesla looks gay
Great argument, one to sure win the masses over.

i don't hate musk at all - i actually like him - but i find that really, really funny. hope he learned from his mistake

He did, he never goes on vacation any more.

(It's actually true).

Wow

>implying a gas engine doesn't do the exact same thing
you do know a gas engine is powered by explosions right?
>looks gay
For reference what do you think doesn't look gay

>283

>longest uptimes
windows servers need to be updated every patch tuesday

>Don't trust balding men who get hair transplants. I know several and all of them are scum.

This. It takes a special kind of evil.

kek

fuckin african, he has to go back

im starting to think Elon Musk is a "right place right time" kind of sociopath like pic related

Back in 2000 Windows was superior.

When he started tesla, he used UBUNTU

When he started Space X, he used UBUNTU

I'm sorry the only achievement in your life is not being a Millennial, but what is worse is that a grown man like yourself is using a Millennial platform. Are you proud?

Now back to your generalizations you fucking unoriginal.

>White English South African

That's about the furthest thing you can get from being an actual African.

haven't you read he news? these fucking immigrants are taking our jobs, they are rapists, they are criminals.

they have to go back and do something for their own countries instead of fucking up the first world

Pretty tough to try and fix your own country when the government insists on fucking literally everything up and the actual Africans are starting to talk about literally genociding the whites.

he is african

6/10 already been memed

And plus any white English speaking south African isn't going to come to a developed country, especially not America and start raping and stealing. Its way tucking easier to do that snit in Africa. Don't know about Mexicans or Syrians or whatever other immigrant you're thinking of but not every immigrant is a fucking mexican.

Probably take jobs but that's because from all the literature I've read employers love SAfricans work ethic.

Yeah, he technically is, but no African would ever say that he is. Almost all black Africans consider whites immigrants to begin with anyway. Elon himself wouldn't really admit it because he has such a fucking hardon for the USA.

>furthest thing you can get from being an actual African.
>Yeah, he technically is, but no African would ever say that he is.

He's part Boer. Here's what an African said about the Boer.

youtube.com/watch?v=e_Bnp72Tft8

>Afrikaners are the only white Africans.

wtf I hate Elon now.

I guess he learned a hard lesson, because the Tesla runs ubuntu and he opened his Tesla related patents.

I love thunderf00t's rants about him. He makes him look like a joke.

Millennial platform? Are you referering to Sup Forums? Sup Forums is not millennial you dumb cunt. Millennial shit is like twitter and facebook. Sites that became popular when first iphone came out and all dumb shits like yourself started using them 24/7

oh cool, so you are a hypocrite and a racist.

>In 2000, Linux was shit
It was so shit it started the baby skynet.
linuxjournal.com/article/4196

Tbqh he looks like he has some chink ancestry. Definetely not a boer

135kbytes ≠ 283kbytes

>Its the last hope for luxury american auto

have you ever seen one from the inside? It's all plastic fantastic

You must be trolling. Read his Wikipedia page.

but unix, or BSD at that time, was not

Sounds to me like musk wanted to use Windows for no good reason, tbqh

Oh, that's why he looks so strange

>didn't read the article

I did the relevant parts, do tell whats the problem, they didnt went technical, other than unix based infrastructure

Oh, yeah, the same president that sung "Shoot the Boer" and got famous for singing "Umshini Wami" (bring me my machine gun) at ANC rallies over the past few years.

youtu.be/6fzRSE_p1Ys

I mean, he's speaking to a room full of powerful Afrikaans businesspeople and shit. What do you think he's going to say?

Elon is the son of a British father and I have no idea where Maye Musk comes from other than she was born in Canada but lived mostly in Pretoria. That's pretty fucking far from full blown Boer. Hell his biography states that part of the reason he got bullied so badly in school was that he simply didn't fit in with his predominantly Afrikaans class (the book calls it the "Hypermasculine" culture"). I doubt he even speaks Afrikaans except for the cursory understanding he would have gotten from school.

You're the dumb cunt, there's no snake oil you fucking degenerate. Tesla makes the fastest car in the world, safest car in the world, and most efficient car in the world and you call it snake oil. SpaceX has 8b in launches coming down the line but that's not real either? Or how about we sit here, no way to get to space, and see an asteroid headed for earth? Then we might have a couple weeks to build a rocket to GTFO but it will be too late. You are so fucking retarded it makes me sick.

Fucking Amerifats, when will they learn. I could bash your face in with a shovel and you'd deny that happened too?

>people finally realizing Musk is just a schmuck that got lucky

The only reason he has any success now is because of the capital he got from being a founder of paypal, and the people that got close to him because of it.

He's a hack, but he's a hack with a shit ton of money, surrounded by very intelligent people.

Correction: meant to say part Boer. At most he's maybe got a tiny part of Afrikaner from some way off relation in him but I can't remember his biography saying anything about it.

come on man
cut him some slack
going for making tesla and space-x needed some balls
he had some own money to invest, but I bet there were people he convinced to invest
he make shit actually happen

and in 2000 it might not be as apparent as now how large scale IT infrastructure would develop

>Sounds to me like
>tbqh
nice redundancy

Space-x was a shit heel side project until NASA figured out they could shift some liability onto a private company, and dumped a ton of fucking money and talent on to the company.

Tesla was a mistake,

The hyperloop was just hypeloop, even he didn't back it but was more than happy to be thought of as the one that thought up his genius infeasible plan.

The giga factory is the only truly successful self-driven project musk has. And not for the planned purpose he originally intended. Most of the cells are going to go to solar, not cars, for at least the next 5-10 years

>futility of manned space missions.
Are you actually too fucking stupid to believe that there have been manned space missions?

All you Musk fanboys need to understand that he's the Steve Jobs of this generation.
Ten years from now everyone is going to know what a cock sucker he is, and how his success has been garnered at others' expense. And the only way to viably praise him will be to praise the way he took credit for other people's successes.

I don't think he's disagreeing with the reality of manned space missions, just the purpose they serve.
Manned space missions are useless, but the technology that develops in order to make them feasible drives the human race forward as a whole so I'm on the fence about pursuing space travel.

Yeah, see you in about 6 years.

First non-manned payload is leaving in 2017 bitch.

>Most of the cells are going to go to solar, not cars, for at least the next 5-10 years
The entire purpose of buying SolarCity is to marry the solar powering with the Tesla EV. It doesn't need to be on the car, it goes on your roof and you plug it into the car.

it also makes it cheaper for him to fill the country with Superchargers.

How Elon Musk exposed billions in questionable Pentagon spending
politico.com/story/2016/05/elon-musk-rocket-defense-223161

>Tesla was a mistake

all successful businesses are "right place right time"

>als are too dumb to put 2 and 2 together about the futility of manned space missions.
>He's swindling millions from billionaires to send them to their cold red graves on mars.

wow this gotta be the most stupidest thing i heard all week

typical businessman
> stubborn on outlines
> stupid on details

Why are there so many Musk haters on Sup Forums?
Did breitbart do a damning expose, or was it infowars?

Millennial is mid 80s to 95

Sup Forums is certainly a millennial platform

probably jealousy

youtube.com/watch?v=gOuOulH02bs
can't you get wood detailing and shit?

Elon Musk literally is one of the most inspirational people walking around on this planet right now, stay mad aspies

I meant the electric car line, he got lucky with his batteries being usable in other shit.

The American military industrial complex wastes money? Whoa, I had no idea.
They're now hiding a lot of that spending by running certain aerospace developments through space-x projects.

no shit.

Nah there's just one or two of us. But we do a lot of hating between us.

Augh maybe who knows. But I'm an Afrikaner and I know the schools he went to and they're all for entitled rich fucks. And I see through his mannerisms that makes everyone like him because he seems slightly foreign, and I can see what a sociopath the fuck is.

What I don't get is why so many people love him. Is it this deep seated need to believe in the myth of the 'good hearted business man' how a little luck and hard work can get you to the same place. And that everyone struggles no matter who you are?
Please this guy started with money and he got lucky and now he's got a fucking ton of it.

I would gladly pay to die on Mars.

Good, because he doesn't mean to swindle billionaires, he's hoping to target people like you!

For the price of a small house you can now die on another planet.

"Going to mars is a great idea, believe me, I'm the only one selling trips, totally worth it!" and you fucks eat that shit up. Ha. I hope they live stream the first batch of you tossers having your lungs come out through your face.

yes he is
and we found out he was kinda stupid when he was 29 and got fired for it
its juicy little factoid Jake

The point being he had to sue to be able to bid on the projects which he then drastically undercut, saving taxpayer billions as well as exposing additional billions in either corruption or waste.
Whereas you implied Musk was the major boondoggle.
But I'm sure you'll just keep derping your derp, as it seems you feel entitled to your own facts as well as opinions.

yet his tesla runs ubuntu

>boondoggle
>derp

Jesus, read a book.

But I digress, you have a point that the country now spends less on similar projects, but you do understand that he did this to benefit himself right? This is no humanitarian for-the-people mission he's on. You mudsling a competitor and undercut them to steal their business. The spending dropping is a side-effect of him getting the contracts.

You're missing my point, which is that he is a visionary in so far as any capitalist mogul is a visionary. That they see a gap in the market, not that they are driving the human race forward to some utopian ideal. His PR is pushing this agenda hard but I don't buy it. And I urge you not to either. This guy is as altruistic as a coat hanger.

YOU must be trolling. Look at his fucking face and tell me he doesnt look part chink

and now Tesla have Ubuntu based infotainment.

I did a work placement at HP when they were still using HP-UX for pretty much everything.

Half the software they were using was Windows stuff running on Wine.

They switched to Windows NT later that year.

You are the kind of cuck that stayed starving in Europe instead of exploring America because it was too dangerous.

All we really care about is the top 1%, as 99% of those sites are small and/or make no money.

>actually falling for the bait

When did Sup Forums become this autistic?

>stay home in Europe is being a cuck
>leaving your wife behind to spend months, if not years, on a boat with a bunch of sailors and semen while someone else fucks your wife is not being a cuck

Don't you talk shit about my husbando ever again