Hello Sup Forums

Hello Sup Forums

I've been using second hand thinkpads for four years now, and been a full-time linux user for one and a half. I'm now in the market for a premium linux laptop.

I'm currently thinking of the fully specced version of the Dell XPS 13 (pictured):
- Comes with (and, by extension, manufacturer supports) Ubuntu
- i7 7500U Kaby Lake
- QHD screen (although the touch is unnecessary)
- Good battery life, with the option of a portable charger
- Good manufacturer warranty
- Small and portable
- USB-C support

Prove me wrong - Why shouldn't I get this as a premium laptop?

A 1080p version supposedly gets way better battery life. And IMO 1080p is enough for 13" screen.
Also new hp spectre is pretty good but don't know how is Linux support.

1080p isn't enough to scale properly into a useful resolution.

I've heard some bad things about Dell's support and quality checks, not sure if true though? Perhaps someone can prove me wrong?

I'm also looking for a new laptop with good Loonix support, currently eyeing Lenovo Thinkpad t560 but will probably wait till t570 is out.

Pic very related, I mean look at that full keyboard on a laptop, it's pure sexxx!

>I've heard some bad things about Dell's support and quality checks, not sure if true though? Perhaps someone can prove me wrong?

The rumors are true, their QC is currently shit for both the XPS 13 and 15.

I ordered a XPS 13 a few weeks ago and returned it the same day.
Glue was sticking out of the upper left corner of the screen and a bunch of keys was tilted sideways.
Check out reddit posts concerning this.

Also there is no need to wait for kaby cpus, the only thing that is slightly better is the core/boost speed.

As for myself, i ended up with a Thinkpad 13, and it is such good value for the price.
The keyboard on it is really good for a laptop.

>Pic related

Unfortunately true.

You really just hope you get a good unit and never ever have to contact Dell support.

Fuck those people.

Linux doesnt work

What do you mean?

Get the i5 7200u version. The smaller screen w/o touch + the lower clocked cpu gives me 14 hours of battery life and it's totally satisfactory.

He means hes a retard

I've got the 1080p and i5 version, it was shipped with 16.04.1 LTS and some kernel modules backported for full hardware support.
I just formatted it and installed 16.10, everything's working fine.
It's a joy to use, but my comparison point is my old x220 that was at 55°C idle with Debian and MATE, so I might be biased.

go for the qhd version
battery life wont be an issue its long enough as it is
much better screen is worth it

I got a MSI Ghost Pro 4K GS60 2QE display model in Akihabara for $1800 AUD equivalent and conversion after my banks crappy 10% loss on the rate.

Its beautiful, light for its size, slim, powerful, 4K, GTX970m.

I even just finished putting my spare SSD in it, as the original SSD is an M2 card, and are specc'ed with a HD, so there was a spare SATA slot in there for it. Very happy.

>my old x220 that was at 55°C idle with Debian and MATE
something was off, normal is 48°~50°C idle.

Wow, guess I'm back to waiting for T570...

What do you guys think about buying used? Pic related 700$ + shipping. Gen 6 i5, 8gb, 256ssd.

Is it true that scaling doesn't work properly on Linux? I want to get a 14" Dell Latitude with 1080p screen but I don't want to go blind from trying to read tiny letters.

>tfw waiting for the Thinkpad Classic

isn't the keyboard in moonrunes? are you a gook?

post pics

>are you a gook?
Quit it with the anti-semitic remarks. Okay?

Aussie.

Yes and no.

Theres a hiragana overlay on the keys. The keyboard layout has @ and " switched like some other international layouts and a few shifted like or separated like ; and : instead of being on the same key.

But I have my keyboard layout set to my home country, so the keys are all normal and not necessarily whats printed on the keys. Though mostly the same anyway.

or what kike? will you vote shillary as well?

Well if you're against the system, the system will be against you too. That means you'll get no rewards such as pretty girls and other things.

I would get it 2bh.

your levels of autism grow strong. why would i want rewards? enjoy your mama's good boy points basement dweller

Everyone wants to date pretty girls.

not me. i m a girl -.-

Gross

That's gay desu senpai

What's the matter plebs? cant you face vagina power?

>Vagina power

The only power a vagnia has is to excrete oxytocin to drug people with and trick them.

let me ask you this. have you ever kissed a woman, or she turned you down cause you're disugsting greasy boy?

I'm not disgusting, and I'm not that greasy. On average I sleep with about 5-6 women a year. I dont really do the whole alcohol/clubbing thing on weekends.

I got to try out an xps 15 at a microsoft store and it feels great. I honestly would go for one regardless of the cq concerns because of how good it looks. But then again I'm dumb and never return faulty goods I buy

well it sounds like a disgusting life to me desu. Do you at least have a job?

Had, I resigned to go live in Japan. Been a neet for nearly 2 months. Starting work at an onsen at a ski resort tomorrow.

id get it if i didnt have qhd version already

enjoy your life gaijin NEET

I have been, but I wont be a neet anymore.

don't get it famlam, I returned mine after some weeks, made some crazy sounds when I moved or scrolled things.

I've been in the dell subreddit a couple of weeks and almost everyone is complaining about coil whine noises

I really don't want touchscreen. I definitely prefer the 1080 resolution

Do you honestly think Japanese keyboards use kanji on the keys? Gimme a laptop with 3000 keys senpai

>msi

>premium laptop
This is premium laptop mate.

My samsung ssd does that. I just assumed it was something certain solid state drives do

>Spreading it with a card
>A whole fucking tube
On the plus side they give you a lifetime supply, on the negative they show you how to do a shit job at it

get a refurbished xps and call it a day.