Computer science

What is left to be discovered in computer science and its related fields? Most of the shit I am learning in uni is decades old.

you're learning established theory because you're not well-read enough to understand the stuff that's still being worked on, and it's not yet certain if you're actually intelligent enough to understand that work anyway.

if you're really curious, go ask your professor what sort of work his grad students are up to/what CS research looks like. i doubt very much that even we on Sup Forums have the time or patience to explain this shit to you, but maybe a grad student in real life can be baited into walking a kid through his research.

All the principles are the same, you have to learn those first. That's how sciences work.
There is plenty left to be discovered and improved.
Hang in there kid.

P = NP

>it's not yet certain if you're actually intelligent enough to understand that work anyway.

I'm pretty sure it is since I'm 4th year.

>if you're really curious, go ask your professor what sort of work his grad students are up to/what CS research looks like.

That's what I'm doing right now, here on Sup Forums.

> i doubt very much that even we on Sup Forums have the time or patience

You are shitposting on an anime website. You have the time. You aren't fooling anyone.

You are the most arrogant worm I have encountered on Sup Forums. Go back to /sci/.

>Hang in there kid.

Oh look another arrogant worm.

Really what you're learning is the basis, there isn't much more than this - it's basically teaching you to logic verbally.

The things that are on the "Edge" of CS are either new forms of computing [Quantum mainly].

The point is that just being a CS guy is pointless. CS serves as a backbone for others to implement their ideas.If you have no ideas other than CS you'll slowly turn into a salty sysadmin.

AI, especially machine learning/deep learning/neural nets, is about the hottest academic field i can think of right now. basically every week the state-of-the-art in vision, NLP, etc. is bested. tl;dr take a machine learning class

if you study physics or maths you will be learning things from over a century ago.. that are still fucking difficult. a lot of things in computer science are incredibly recent, especially in machine learning etc. and the whole field is a lot younger and riper

Isn't ML just a new application of decades old theories that became popular because hardware (especially GPUs) got better? Neural nets existed in the 1970s.

It isnt strictly CS though. AI is all about learning algorithms. But really it's more like really high-level electronics when you get down into the nitty gritty of it.

Yes. CS is a tool. It is an inherently valuable skill, but it's worthless without a specific goal.

Well then it's not new.

Why would it be?

yeah, like those theories aren't being updated worked upon and new theories put forward alongside. all kinds of new shit has been created in the last ten years

Because the fucking OP asks for new shit.

don't be a pedantic autist.

no, he asked for questions that are still unanswered. some questions have been around for a while and remain unanswered (or were unanswerable until computing became more potent)

No, I asked for shit that is left to be discovered.

What the fuck even is a discovery in computer science? It's all engineering and theory.

If you want to be good at engineering learn CS. If you want to be good at theory then major in Math instead.

hardware did get better, which motivated new interest in the field and has led to a lot of new theory/algorithms. e.g. LSTM and VAEs date from the late '90s and early '10s, respectively, and are still being improved upon today

>Have to write my thesis soon
>Find a field of interest
>Send a mail asking one of the top developers if he thinks I can innovate in the field
>Nah man all that shit got solved in the 80s
At this pace I may end up like one of those faggots that use a CNN to do some new dumb shit.

CS stuff gets discovered in the same way that stuff in math gets "discovered." That's what I mean.

>What the fuck even is a discovery in computer science? It's all engineering and theory.
lol dude if you don't know anything about CS research then by all means say so. you can say it in just a few words.

Are you expecting someone to dump a list of undiscovered algorithms that everyone is trying to work out? Go actually ask PhD students and it's typically going to be some sort of obscure, laser-focused topic that, even as smart as I am sure you are, you wouldn't understand without deep knowledge of that field.

>Are you expecting someone to dump a list of undiscovered algorithms that everyone is trying to work out?

Yes faggot.

you sound kind of like a first year faggotron. you're sure you're a 4th year?

Then you're fucking retarded?

P.S. that's a rhetorical question, you are fucking retarded

>What is left to be discovered in computer science and its related fields?
>What is left to be discovered
user, I hate to disappoint you, but this isn't Civilization or Master of Orion. You don't get a graph saying "you need to discover X and that will allow us to work on Y twenty years later". Most of the sciences have small incremental advancements.

>implying others are arrogant since they don't want to help you goolge shit
not you personal tech support

This isn't tech support, faggot.

>What is left to be discovered in computer science and its related fields?
The installation of Gentoo, by you.

Read some research papers

>Most of the shit I am learning in uni is decades old.
Because you need to start with the basics, kid