/Microsoft Surface Studio/

>2016
>no SSD
>base model: $3000+
>is not mobile, but has legacy(old) mobile GPU (9x0M)

Other urls found in this thread:

razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro
razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The specs call them "hybrid" drives, so while they may not be SSDs, they obviously have some NAND.

Also, $1500-2000 goes to the screen, hence the base price of $3k.

I know what a hybrid drive is. it's the poor man's alternative to proper SSD.
>pay $4000
>can't get SSD
>can't upgrade anything yourself
wew great

Considering the screen is ~50-70% of the cost, most people aren't going to be buying it for it's sepcs. It's not meant to be a computing powerhouse.

I'd rather buy some high end eizo or nec display.

Is it not corageous if it's not Apple doing it?

I know who the target audience is. it's people like me, digital graphics/CG artists. last gen laptop GPU is a no go for anyone with a brain in 2016

>Also, $1500-2000 goes to the screen, hence the base price of $3k.
I get that it's custom but it's no way in hell that screen costs more than $300 to manufacture.

they should sell the display without the mediocre laptop hardware attached, and I would fucking buy it in a heartbeat.

you're joking right?

It's 4500x3000 3:2 aspect ratio with sRGB and DCI-P3 coverage.

Just look on the market for literally ANYTHING similar (the closest would be an Ezio or NEC 3840x2160 or 4096x2160). and it will cost $1200+ easily.

4500x3000 is 13.5M pixels compared to 4k at around 8.2M pixels.

$300, literally laughing at you.

Then the target audience isn't you. No one who is doing sketching and normal design type work should have no need for a super powerful GPU. Now someone doing 3D effects or post processing work might, but that isn't normally the same person who is doing the sketching and base art.

Then do so, it wont offer the same resolution nor form factor, but you can get 4k without touch for $1500+.

What sort of idiotic company puts mobile parts in a desktop?

>sRGB
the smallest color gamut WOW

>but that isn't normally the same person who is doing the sketching and base art.
yes it is you retard.
>telling me how my industry works

>4500x3000 is 13.5M pixels compared to 4k at around 8.2M pixels.
Doesnt really matter what they're selling it for, im talking about the cost of manufacture.

All of them

Definitely agree. Memetists doesn't need anything more than a Wacom bamboo to do art.

can you not see /microsoft internet defense/ at work here? clearly their retarded fanbase will fall for this

>4500x3000 is 13.5M
running on a last gen legacy mobile GPU
HAHAHAHAH

The industry vs your own personal workflow are totally different things, but go ahead. Fully believe Microsoft would release a product that has no market.

Oh wait, we already have glowing reviews from several artists who have been using it? And the reviews are it's actually pretty fucking great? Oh wow.

>running on a last gen legacy mobile GPU

What do you think is going to require GPU power...?

It's not for gaming, it's not for rendering or other GPU heavy workloads.

I'M TRYING TO DO SOMETHING IT WASN'T BUILT FOR AND IT'S NOT WORKING, WHAT A DUMB PRODUCT.

Kay

>your own personal workflow
that's not my personal workflow. almost no one worth shit in the industry does only sketches. the ones that do, can't afford this, and the ones that get payed well, don't only do shitty photoshop line art.

the faggots doing line art only, only been an intuos.

>Also, $1500-2000 goes to the screen, hence the base price of $3k.
I have a hard time believing that seeing how the 5k iMac has a higher PPI panel in roughly the same size and starts at $1800 with roughly the same specs for the base machine (CPU is a desktop chip when this uses a mobile CPU). Adding the touch screen to the display can't be $1200 in itself.

>im talking about the cost of manufacture.
So I guess Ezio and NEC must make a fucking retarded profit margin.

>What do you think is going to require GPU power...?
texture artist here, I need my realtime viewport to accurately and fast, render my fucking textures while I'm making them and tweaking the shaders and what not. that's all GPU.

the more you make this exact thread, the more we know how butthurt you are

Then why do they offer a gpu upgrade to the 980m if gpu performance doesn't matter?

What advantages does the 980m offer over the 1060's lower cost, lower power draw and higher performance?

>What advantages does the 980m offer over the 1060's lower cost, lower power draw and higher performance?
microshills BTFO

and a GTX 980M should manage that fine. It wont be as fast a GTX 1080, but it's not like the 980M is a slouch either.

Sure newer things are out, but you morons pretending the difference between a mobile GTX 1080 and a mobile GTX 980M is night and day, when in reality both are within 20-30% of each other anyway.

Honestly they should have the option to buy the screen standalone

>running on a last gen legacy mobile GPU
Do you even know how easy it is to run photoshop?

3d work isnt demanding unless it's runtime, so the only situation you need a bettter gpu is for either gaming or runtime performance, which , is not this.

It's still a $3000 product with a very small market though.

I fully believe this is microsoft making a better imac than apple. It's going to be bought by many non-artists, even though it's main target appears to be artsts

They probably do. Let's be real here however : The panel is only a part of the story, the software and driver boards are where most of the money goes. If microsoft just sold all the panels ( Not just A+++) and didnt bother calibrating it'll fit right in that $300

Hey. What tools do you use? a 965M is still pretty good for that, 8K textures shouldn't be really that taxing, even with a realtime view, but i'm basing my impressions of NDO and 3DO.

It was too late in the pipeline to change GPUs. Otherwise obviously the 1060 is better.

It's not for people like you in the slightest, and you don't need more than a 980 making digital graphic banners for websites.

Its for people like me (Surveyor) or Architects and Draftsmen. People who earn $$$.

Looks fucking neeto, considering it atm but will probably hit me $5,000 in Australia.

>and a GTX 980M should manage that fine
fuck off you retard. clearly you have NO fucking idea about this stuff. go look at any decent texture artist, and they're all running SLI desktop GPUs

The 5k imac display only covers 78% of the adobe RGB color space, it also has no sRGB coverage or DCI-P3 either.

So yeah, totally the same class monitor.

You can find 4k monitors for $700-800, but a good 4k monitor from Ezio or NEC will still cost you $1500+

>they're all running SLI desktop GPUs
....lol literally laughing at you now

>digital graphic banners for websites.
you think those retards can afford this or need anything other than a wacom bamboo? kek

>it also has no sRGB coverage
sRGB is the smallest gamut mate, and every cheap chink display covers that

Yeah, nah you're just a gaymer turd judging by the rest of this thread

it's not a performance machine, it's a concept

>It was too late in the pipeline to change GPUs.
That's kind of what people are saying -- they're selling their engineering sample rather than a top-of-line product.

>sRGB is the smallest gamut mate, and every cheap chink display covers that
Well according to reviews, the 5k imac doesn't.
>Professional wide gamut monitors work around the oversaturation problem by providing an option that restricts their gamut to sRGB. Some let you switch to an SRGB emulation mode through a control on the front panel of the display; with others you switch modes using utility software. The Retina iMac doesn’t do it either way, or at least not in any way that I was able to find. When I searched the OS X help files of the iMac for “P3” or “sRGB” nothing came up. In general, the help files for color management in OS X are pretty thin.

>If the iMac P3 display doesn’t have a way to emulate an sRGB display, buyers of the Retina iMac should be aware that colors might not display as expected in untagged objects or in applications and parts of OS X that are not color managed. I’m not 100% sure that there is no sRGB emulation mode on this display, but that’s how it’s looking. If you have more information on this, please post in the comments.

>it's a concept
a concept machine typically ends at the prototype stage. it definitely doesn't get a launch date or price.

>voluntarily LIMITING your display to sRGB
every decent artist has a screen calibrator and knows what color profiles are.

>That's kind of what people are saying -- they're selling their engineering sample rather than a top-of-line product.

>Engineering sample
Well ... no.. they're just pushing out a product because they think that it's got enough power and because they cant afford to make one with better hardware without seeing the how this one does.

Sometimes you actually want to know what other people (your fucking customers) will be seeing...

its

that's what soft proofing is for, retard. it's a fucking shortcut in photoshop.

SRGB doesnt do that that since both ends need a decent screen and customers usually dont have a decent screen.

ITT: microsoft fanboys who know nothing about art software try to shill the 400$ laptop hardware being sold for between $3000-$4000+

>if microsoft didn't include it, you don't need it

Not really. If an artist knows he wants more power he's free to get more power but having people spout bullshit like saying that they're using SLI for art is disingeneous and only shows how they have no idea what the fuck they want / are just here to troll.

razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro

GTX 1080 is significantly faster than GTX 980M with better power efficiency due to 16nm FINFET process

razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade

GTX 1060 has higher performance than GTX 980M and better power efficiency & lower power consumption

Pascal GPUs are shipping in many other companies products, no excuse for MS to ship GTX 980M from 2014

You can't just drop a new GPU in and call it a day, to imply it's that trivial is just disingenuous, if it were cheap/easy to do microsoft would do it.

I don't understand how people think they're somehow more intelligent than the thousands of people who have spent months designing and building this product.

I mean.. it is an oversight... But i'm assuming that it was either get a product out _NOW_ or have the entire project canned entirely.

Yeah kinda my thoughts, and if they're soldered to the motherboard i'm betting they already had the motherboard/GPU/RAM/CPU packaged up and ready to go 5+ months ago, but the screen and hinges probably took more development/manufacturing time.

>i'm assuming that it was either get a product out _NOW_ or have the entire project canned entirely.
how could delaying it by a few weeks or months be out of the question?

They're Microsoft, though. It's not like they're last in line from their suppliers. If anyone has them, they should.

Well it would require all new hardware validation testing, probably drivers would need to be changed which they'd need to do testing to make sure it didn't fuck with anything else, etc.

A lot goes into a product.

GP104 and GP106 is pin compatible with GM204, again there's no excuses for MS to ship 2014 GPUs in a product that will be sold throughout 2017

Could be. But it also could be that this project was started 2013 or earlier,and that they've had enough delays to be able to justify canning it entirely and dumping more cash into it being untennable.

Probably around the time Nutella came to power so i'd say that this has been in development for atleast 4 years without any profits to show for it.

It's anyone's guess but there are more reasons for it being like that than you would otherwise assume.

Well where's the gtx 1080m?

There isnt any. The desktop parts are low power enough for mobile now, you just downclock them instead.

all the more reason to time your release so that you don't completely bungle the video card choice. if they'd been working on this for more than a year and a month would've made all the difference here, they could have forecasted that way out in advance.

the things that fuck up product launches are usually design and engineering things that turn out to take longer than they should have. knowing that nvidia will have enough of the mobile GPUs in a month or two isn't the sort of thing that delays your product launch. you plan your product launch around that in the first place.

my hunch is that this device is just deliberately not meant for gamers, and winbabies are having a tantrum that this won't play their AAA games smoothly.

Interesting...
usually they reduce the sus, rops, and tmus...

>content creators and artists
>Windows

u avin a giggle m8? dats my marketshare fack off

>980M
>$4199

This isn't about gaming, it's about driving the 4.5K panel efficiently and power efficiency considerations

Pascal GPUs support DisplayPort 1.4, which was designed for 5K display support, Maxwell maxes out at 4K because of DP1.2 limitations

Also HEVC Main10/Main12 8K hardware decoding and VP9 8K hardware decoding is not available on Maxwell GM204 GPUs, this is a content creation machine after all and it's a big oversight

>damage control this hard
>driving 4500x3000
>with last gen mobile gpu
>980M for $4200
>you only need good GPUs for gaming
you have to be 18 or older to browse this vietnamese basket weaving forum

Why don't they just make the computer part upgradable? Kind of like the monitor is just a dock to put a new compute in

why not just sell the display so I can use my own PC that is 1000x faster than that pos?

the 5k iMac uses a proprietary connector to drive the display. unless microsoft announced that they were using a standard connector, i don't see any reason to infer that they used DP 1.4 or 1.2 or 1.3; they might be using something completely non-standard to drive this shit.

It's so well integrated into the rest of the produce I don't see that happening

>well
nah, I rather have a more robust stand for the display than to have to use that mediocre laptop hardware. when I'm drawing, I want to rest my palm on the fucking screen, like I do on my cintiq (which has a stand built like a tank)

I've already seen the display get pushed back by someone just putting on and using that hockey puck

>Why did Apple not make a Mac OS device with pen support?

iPad Pro + continuity on Mac. Apple realizes that tasks need different, more specialized tools. Not devices that do a mediocre job in all things.

>Not devices that do a mediocre job in all things.

But there are specialized drawing software and image editing software for Mac OS.

that's what he's saying

What the fuck does that have to do with what I said? Are you drawing on the Mac itself, on the MacBook or iMac? No. You're using a specialized external device like a Wacom tablet.

>it's a big oversight
People keep talking about this like Microbong is ignorantly making errors. It's probably closer to the truth to say that because of Apple's current dominance of the field, MS simply doesn't have the buying power to afford mass-producing a cutting-edge spec, so they have to build an inferior product.

Apple's giant share of the nvidia gpu market is crowding Microsoft out?

No, I mean their share of AIO. They're the ones making all the money there.

>Apple's giant share of the nvidia gpu
last time I checked, imacs used AMD gpus

Sup Forums btfo by Bill Gates himself

>the screen alone costs $3K
>2016

Then maybe they should had sold the screen alone so I don't have to throw it away as soon as the hardware itself becomes obsolete.

>Not a verified account

That's just a troll

really?

.....hmmmm.... really makes th e cogs moves...

Apple changes between both constantly since the launch of the original MBP.

woah
really makes you think

I'm running two 4k monitors on a GTX 960, you don't need lots of GPU power for desktop use, even photoshop and shit like that wont need a good GPU unless you're doing specific GPU accelerated tasks that are VERY demanding. (gaming, rendering, etc)

You're just showing you have no idea what GPUs are used for outside of gaming

not sure if autism or 12 years old

clearly you don't do much with photoshop, and don't work in huge photoshop project files.
go back to Sup Forums now

and the people working with huge projects, are NOT the people who are doing the principal drawing (the whole point of this computer)

price is just right
you pay for the novelty

>being this dumb
just stop

>thinking he knows better than a multibillion dollar company made of thousands of employees.

Wew

>everything a big company does is smart and thought through

When talking about a product that includes a $2000 professional touch screen, yeah you can pretty much bet on it.

If there were no legitimate users for the product, it never would have been made, it's not like they just make a product that SOUNDS good, develops it, and do no product testing with focus groups or actual users before releasing a final product.

They do tons of testing during development with ACTUAL users, to get feedback from ACTUAL users.

That's how we already have reviews from people who have been using the Studio for a little while already.

>$2000 professional touch screen
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

The question behind how to make those billions is solved.

Compared to the MacBook Pro which designers use, this is a great price

Graphic designer here. It's made for artists and GDs and whose who use AutoCAD. Not for your faggot asses who jack off with you anime shit and cry about medium settings at 30 fps on battlefield

what the fuck would a "digital graphics" artist working with 2D media need a fucking 980 for?

>you think those retards can afford this or need anything other than a wacom bamboo? kek

do artists shit on other art fields often? It looks like two monkeys throwing shit at each other in the same cage. lol

Look at the applel trash can and look at the wacom touch screens then look at this, this is a good deal for the "professional" graphic designer.