/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kc-versus.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=nVKn1Ke4hVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=J7QKJjng2Tk
glossgloss
youtube.com/watch?v=2-z388FlyYc
amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFDX4YO
youtube.com/watch?v=kO6lLBkzct8
youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o
camelcamelcamel.com/product/B00001WRSJ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_alopecia
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Quite a few but not too many people active anymore. Some have also used/owned them before.

That's iM@S not Oregairu.

Naughty boy you.

are Sennheiser HD 558 durable?
I don't want to buy headphones that will break in a year or two

>Budget
300-600 EUR
>Location
Yurop
>Source
Corda Opera
>Preferred type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfyest
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral but not that important
>Past headphones
ATH-A900X

I'm looking for something very isolating and very comfy, for low volume listening

Can't remember the last time a /hpg/ died at just over 50 posts. Maybe I should stop using sage when I shitpost.

>durable
The headband is, the plastic hinges where the headband folds into and the one-sided swivel connection of the headband to the ear cups are not. The plastics in these parts are a little fragile but they will easily last more than two years if you don't throw them around.

Oppo PM3 could possibly be your best bet.

earcups look pretty small

Yeah but the Fostex headphones don't isolate that well and leak sound, the only other headphone I could recommend based on your list is the NVX XPT100 which would probably look too 'cheap' for someone with that budget.

I know, I own the Fostex, but for home

Maybe if isolation is really better than the ATH-A900X I could consider it

>Budget
50< USD unless it's a tiny bit more for something a lot better
>Location
Dominican Republic, doesn't really matter if I buy online since I have to use the US store
>Source
Phone and Laptop mostly
IEM with android controls
>Comfort
don't really care as long as it's gel
>Balance
flat or bass
>Past Headphones
Sennheiser Momentum , Sennheiser CX365 , Sennheiser HD 3XX(can't remember).

>Budget
>Location
Australia
>Source
O2+ODAC
On-ear or Over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy/Deep pads
>Preferred tonal balance
Very Bassy
>Past headphones
Superlux HD681
Xiaomi Hybrid

This caught my attention. They're sold by a big retailer here and its never been this cheap before. Are they good for the price? Also how do they compare to solo 3?

>Budget

what's the album name?

Seconding album request. Looks like a solid J-core album cover.

kc-versus.tumblr.com/

It's denpa.

>Budget
200, Can move around
>Location
Canada
>Source
Phone, Computer
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Maximum Comfy, going to be wearing them for hours on end
>Past headphones
Shitty Apple earbuds

I fucked up boys..

Can anyone help me figure out which wires to solder where? It's a turtle beach recon 60p headset, and I'm so lost with google and a bit distraught. I've got the tools I need I just don't know what goes where.

Fuck this is lovely. Haven't found denpa I like in ages. Thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=nVKn1Ke4hVQ

Its boppin

SUPRA NiTRO Carbon for 66 dollars, could it be worth?

Coming from a nice pair of Koss Porta Pros which I was very pleased with. Don't wanna downgrade quality-wise.

Anyone know solid DAC and AMP to get for powering Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohm?

Audioquest Dragonfly Black

Hey guys, i'm trying to learn a bit more about targe curves for something i'm working on,, as i understand the most accepted one is the Olive/Welti one, does that proceed? Are there any other target curves suggested by reputable researchers?

Where can I discuss speakers on this website

Honestly the newer beets tm arent even that bad. the bass will be hyuueg and the mids will be lacking, but if you want bass in a portable form its not too bad

i'd still take m40x or modded m50x over them any day though

might wanna buy two and resell one on gumtree or something

Start a general

match the colour of the wires to where the contacts from the other side lead to

No. Why would you recommend an Audioquest?

Portable and cheap. A few reviews saying outclasses FiiO E10K.

any of the cheaper SMSL DAC/Amp combos
fiio e10k if youre boring
or a Micca Origen if you have a bit more to spend and want some nice features

Ignore this retard tho

This doesn't outclass a decent on-board.

Just recently got the 80ohm 770's. I;ve paired it with a Fiio A3. would probably recommend the E10K if you really need a DAC & amp and no portability.

>Budget
$100 USD
>Location
United States
>Source
Bluetooth/3.5mm, phone and computer
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Not uncomfortable
>Preferred tonal balance
Whatever's best for alternative rock & rock music

Thanks anons

I'm just gonna get my husband to do it, He's probably going to trace them like you suggested. Thanks anyway, user

Post what are you listening and with what.

Etymotic ER-4S

youtube.com/watch?v=J7QKJjng2Tk

glossgloss blogspot

Currently have a pair of Fischer audio consonance which sound pretty damn good for the price with comply tips. I've had SE215 I enjoyed but its been a decade since I've had those and I forgot what drew me to them. I'm a huge fan of comply tips but I'm tired of paying for new tips all the time. Do CIEMs give similar benefits as comply tips, i.e. more snug thus better sound, less fatigue, louder etc.? If so Customart music one fits my budget better but I might be willing to pay for the music two. Is the separate woofer/tweeter worth it or is the music one good enough for the money?

Still listening to my newly-discovered artist from this thread.
youtube.com/watch?v=2-z388FlyYc

AKG K612, but honestly the bass in most of these tracks goes nicer with a pair of closed over-ears.

>tfw think prolonged exposure to the headband from my headphones is causing me to lose hair
help
oh god
help

What material is it?

Nanahira is love.

Fiio Q1

>Budget
250-300 dollars
>Location
Mordor, Russia
>Source
Retina mac pro mid 2012
Over the ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
So I can be perma-headphoned at home
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral, but a bit of bass is welcome
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD 598

I had HD 598 for 4 years and was pretty satisfied, but in time they became very worn off so I decided to get something new. I want same open headphones but this time preferably with a bit more bass. I tired to research and my eyes stopped on Philips Fidelio X2 and Sennheiser HD600.

Philips are a bit cheaper and looks to be those 'fun' and bassy headphones, they also seems to work fine without any additional set up. Sennheisers are bit pricier but seems to be more neutral and clear to details, some people say that amp is required but I've found a lot posts saying that they work just fine with macpro and I am not the guy who will crank up his headphones to maximum volume possible anyways.

Can I get some sauce on that CD?

>Budget
100 absolute max
>Location
USA
>Source
motherboard soundboard, macbookpro
full sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Optional
>Past headphones
hd555, ATH-MSR7

Detachable cable is a must

Artist name in OP is blurry, but it says it right there. Camellia feat. Nanahira - Versus
Also mentioned earlier: What about your other headphones?

>Do CIEMs give similar benefits as comply tips, i.e. more snug thus better sound,
No.
Foam tips can improve fit in practical situations, but don't seal quite as well as solid rubber/silicone sleeves under ideal circumstances.
Also, CIEMs tend to fall short of the top universals in sound isolation.
>less fatigue
If you mean treble harshness, no. Comply foam is better at that, and the way that custom IEMs are often made could make them worse. That is, they may preclude the use of acoustic filters to control treble peaks.
>Music One vs. Two
It's not a matter of better or worse, they're quite different to start with. Music One is close to the Ety HF5, Music Two is something else.
I think you might want more bass than what either model will deliver.

>targe curves for something i'm working on
Transfer function of diffuse field. That should be a given.
>the most accepted one is the Olive/Welti one
Not quite. It is based on their research, but it hasn't gained wide adoption beyond Harman.

m40x or ATH-PRO5MK3

I recently upgraded from my AKG k7xx to the new Fostex T50RP mk3. Many say this headset is impossible to drive, but I'm currently running it with a Fostex HP-A3 at 25% volume, and it runs just fine. Am i doing something wrong? Am i missing something?

People who say it is impossible to drive don't know what they're talking about. That thing is cake to run compared to an HE-6 or K1000.

My msr7's earpad leather is cracking, is this normal?

i want to get fucked by shiki

your genetics are shit but sure, you can blame the headphones

the vast majority of "leathers" on headphones goes to shit sooner rather than later.

But many say you have to buy a stronger amp to drive them sufficiently, usually suggesting amps capable of delivering 1000mW RMS or more.
My dac/amp delivers 100mW, but they sound fine.

>now have good enough headphones to afford using 320kbps MP3/256kbps AAC

Feels good.

Got my hm5 pads on my m50x's today. They didn't really fuck up the soundstage as much as i thought, they actually opened up them up a lot for trading away a tiny bit of tightness in the bass and they arent as grating on my sensitive ears

i tried to post a photo but for some reason Sup Forums posts iphone photos upside so i gave up

Any good aftermarket for it?

amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFDX4YO
Is this a good replacement?

hm5's are some of the best replacements you can get, they tend to fuck up the sound stage depending on the model but you cant really say if its for the better or worse until you hear them

I was scrolling down and saw the album artwork, and was like, "other people know about this?"
Then I remembered where I was.

Gud track
youtube.com/watch?v=kO6lLBkzct8

Any headphones out there for $400~ that are either German/Austrian made? Don't feel like shelling out a few hundred bucks to support the chink economy.

>Don't feel like shelling out a few hundred bucks to support the chink economy.
you can't buy AKG then

Again, these 'people' don't know what they're talking about.

Brainwavz HM5, NVX XPT100, and whatever other rebranded version of that same headphone.

>Many say this headset is impossible to drive
Many people don't know electronics. Or sound, for that matter.
>Am i doing something wrong? Am i missing something?
If you don't have a problem, then you don't. That's about all there is to it.
>amps capable of delivering 1000mW RMS
If it needed more power, that just makes it insensitive. Nothing else is implied.
Power into a load is dependent on the impedance of the load itself, so statements like those aren't helpful.
Also, RMS is used to relate AC voltage/current to power. That's already given in terms of power.

>Budget
$140
>Location
america
>Source
pc
over my ears
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
able to wear for 12 hours with glasses (my ath-ad700's were great for that)
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral/Sunn O)))
>Past headphones
ath-ad700
ath-ad700
ath ad700
(various logitech sony junk)

i read that the cord for the new ath-ad700x was crappier than the old one and i was wondering what some other options are since i've been buying the old ath-ad700's for so long i don't know anything else

No idea if new AD series are worse
But if you find out they are, here are some options:
HD558 modded/HD598 [extreme comfy]
SHP9500 [cheap and good build]
Them massdrop hifimans [very similar to 598]

Anyone know a good 3.5 to 6.5 adapter?
All the ones I can find on Amazon are shitty ones that break in less than a month

Stock M40x

youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o

>turn on active noise cancelling because electric heater is annoying
>hear mexican radio as interference

What the actual fuck

>Budget
preferably under $60
>Location
USA
>Source
Droid Mini (I know)
full-sized, but portable
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
going to be wearing them a lot, but as long as they aren't straight up painful I can deal with it. Comfort is my least important factor
>Preferred tonal balance
Prefer neutral, maybe leaning a bit toward v-shaped? Not really sure
>Past headphones
Basic bitch Sennheisers, HD201 I think. Other than that just normie-tier stuff

Looking for a decent but cheap headphone to start getting into this stuff properly, also, how do I keep the cables from getting fucked up? this is my main fear with buying expensive headphones

Wait for Sony V6 to come back in sale. I got mine for around $50~ brand new. New retail packaging. It is not discontinued they have new style box.

Thanks user

Bookmark this and check everyday camelcamelcamel.com/product/B00001WRSJ

>camelcamelcamel.com/product/B00001WRSJ
If I get them used will I just end up getting broken trash?

I can't answer. Someone here would probably know.

>Budget
100 USD
>Location
USA
>Source
PC
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Past headphones
Monoprice 108323

Comfy? Beyerdynamic DT770 are out of your price range. So NVX XPT100 or Brainwavs HM5. That's what I hear is good and I didn't try them. HM5 pads should be comfy.

How is the sound isolation on the SoundMagic E10?

I'm actually wondering the same about the E30's

Quite shitty.

So I have the 598's. They good, but a lot of people have said 600/650. I'd need an amp and dac. People said modi, then modi 2, then Uber, all the sudden this setup is costing me $700. Any better ideas or just spend the money?

>I'd need an amp and dac
here is where the lies started.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_alopecia
It's a real possibility if you wear your headphones for a very long time and they are fairly constricting on your hair.

i had a massive old XLR cable that was picking up tasmanian radio stations

would M40x be good for vidya?

>Budget
60$/55€
>Location
Sweden
>Source
Mp3 player, android, pc.
In-Ear
>Comfort level
Comfortable, will be using them in bed.
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-V6
Koss Porta Pro
ATH-AD700X

Mainly looking for decent isolation.

Redpill me on skullcandy, /hpg/. Are their IEMs any good?

No.

Trash tier.

>They good, but a lot of people have said 600/650
558's are kind of different to 600/650's. I prefer them for a couple genres.

>I'd need an amp and dac. People said modi, then modi 2, then Uber, all the sudden this setup is costing me $700. Any better ideas or just spend the money?
Don't. Realistically you can get good DAC/amp combos for ~100

One of the best is the Micca Origen+. A lot of features and the ability to have 5V DC in is good. ~$100 USD on amazon
If you still want a little more of a step-up, you might want to look at a Schiit Stack. More than enough for pretty much anything that isn't planar. $200 dollars

Hell, I make do with a 5 dollar PCM2704 DAC and an DIY O2 Amp powering my collection of shit. Cost me ~$55 USD and some time. 90% as good as the setups where people are spending 500+ in terms of raw sound quality.

People who are spending 400+ on DACs and Amps are the kinds of people who have a large collections of headphones and are spending a lot more on higher end gear, or are looking for a one and done 'final solution', or they just straight have the money to do so without any real care.

What kind of vidya? CSGO or overwatch or something that relies on imaging and soundstage? Not amazing but not bad. For anything else? Hell yes.
Look at NVX XPT-100/Brainwavz HM5 if you want more soundstage and imaging. Not as much bass though.

That said, you could just get the m40x and put HM5 pads on and have a similar experience with more bass.

Ah, thx.

Shit. Just bloated bass and not much else. Overpriced too.

Thanks user.

>CSGO or overwatch or something that relies on imaging and soundstage?
if you rely on these things, you are trash at said games.

Guess I'll look around some more. I was on the fence about some $10 Skullcandy Jibs from Walmart because I'm extremely cheap. If the rest are overpriced. I'll steer clear. Thanks.

Look into beyerdynamics

I tried a pair of Skullcandy Crushers once.
It was a horrifyingly bad experience.
This is my only experience with Skullcandy and hopefully says nothing about their IEMs.