Project Quantum

>Quantum is our effort to develop Mozilla’s next-generation web engine and start delivering major improvements to users by the end of 2017. If you’re unfamiliar with the concept of a web engine, it’s the core of the browser that runs all the content you receive as you browse the web. Quantum is all about making extensive use of parallelism and fully exploiting modern hardware. Quantum has a number of components, including several adopted from the Servo project.

>The resulting engine will power a fast and smooth user experience on both mobile and desktop operating systems—creating a “quantum leap” in performance. What does that mean? We are striving for performance gains from Quantum that will be so noticeable that your entire web experience will feel different. Pages will load faster, and scrolling will be silky smooth. Animations and interactive apps will respond instantly, and be able to handle more intensive content while holding consistent frame rates. And the content most important to you will automatically get the highest priority, focusing processing power where you need it the most.

>medium.com/mozilla-tech/a-quantum-leap-for-the-web-a3b7174b3c12#.qej1kt9ib
>wiki.mozilla.org/Quantum

Who /Quantum/ here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UGl9VVIOo3E&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

a new web engine won't fix mozillas problems, which are mostly due to politics and poor developer choices

>by the end of 2017

>anno domini
>trusting SJWzilla

Isn't that what Servo was going to be?

a web browser is just a remote file explorer and viewer

why is this so fucking hard to get right

what about servo?

It's not 1993 anymore

still happening i guess
youtube.com/watch?v=UGl9VVIOo3E&feature=youtu.be

>end of 2017
That's a long time

Also will it support FF-style extensions or just crippled Chrome shit?

>57270170

Servo is ment to be a research project. What they learn from it will be used in Quantum.

I will be happy about this if I can have it with my addons

I'll add it to the Abandoned Projects section of the wiki (can always revert it later)

>We are striving for performance gains from Quantum that will be so noticeable that your entire web experience will feel different. Pages will load faster, and scrolling will be silky smooth.

even if they COULD deliver this (and we're talking about mozilla here, lol)

it would just mean webdevs would bloat their pages 10x more.

there is never going to be silky smooth scrolling on the web

but thanks for hogging even more CPU and setting your process to high priority

it's not about "remote"
implementing full HTML5(+rest of the shit) spec is much much much harder than writing an OS

>mozillatards confirmed for not knowing what a quantum leap is

Webdevs have been doing that for ages already, and are the ones that got this mess started in the first place.

A show that went to shit, just like the browser

mozilla is jewish agenda

when will they stop fucking with comfy features and adding shit ones?

>end of 2017

Hooo boyyyyyyy

This will be the end of Tree Style Tabs

Finally we can run webpages at 60fps

FF-style extensions are going to be replaced by webextensions, slightly better than chrome extensions but way more restrictive than actual ones.

We shoulda stopped at cascading stylesheets

Finally nothing will separate FF from Chrome any more!

Such as?

>Isn't that what Servo was going to be?
>what about servo?
Did you niggers read the link? It's literally about implementing servo. They're just renaming it and its components, even the links point to servo's repos.

any browsers that are better than Firefox?

All the effort for a "quantum leap" ?
Why even start...

>Finally nothing will separate FF from Chrome any more!
This is about a new engine, you fucking retard. Yeah, getting a much better browser engine is certainly going to bridge the gap, so we ought to stay with a laggy browser, at least we can claim it's different, by saying 'well, it performs like shit, chrom* doesn't!'.

Dropping normal extensions and replacing it with shitty chromestyle webextensions will finish the chromifization

How long will it take to have the entire browser written in rust?

As far as I can tell Servo will remain Servo. Mozilla is replacing pieces of Gecko with pieces of Servo. Servo will act a bit like Firefox Nightly for devs, pieces are developed and tested there and then when they're refined enough they're brought into Nightly and tested against Gecko. At some point they'll probably incorporate Servo into Firefox and just replace Gecko completely.

>Dropping normal extensions and replacing it with shitty chromestyle webextensions will finish the chromifization
Except you're wrong, they're still going to port the most used features that chrome doesn't have.

>At some point they'll probably incorporate Servo into Firefox and just replace Gecko completely.
Yes, it's Project Quantum. Just check the link in the OP.

literally all of them

The old extensions are a burden on development, they have to go. It's not going to be pleasant but Mozilla is adding webextension support so they can take advantage of the huge amount of already existing addons. They're also planning on expanding the APIs to give devs more freedom compared to chromium.

> They're also planning on expanding the APIs to give devs more freedom compared to chromium.

Imagine the state of chromium by the end of 2017. It's in a league of its own right now and after another year of development at full throttle, a new web engine is not going to be enough for mildfox to compete.

I really don't see the point in complaining about them anymore. They're a free and open standard, they work well, they're secure, and they're portable across browsers.

They're already implemented in Edge and Opera so there's really no avoiding them and I can't think of a reason to specifically blame Mozilla for adopting them. If you don't want them you can just use pale moon but it probably wont ever get Servo so that's something you'll have to deal with.

First they need to get rid of the old extensions and phase in webextensions. Once they have the old extensions out of the way they'll be able to roll out e10s globally, enable more sandbox functionality, and bring in Servo components and other neat stuff. The addons have really held Mozilla back, they should have planned to drop them years ago imo.

Only if you want botnet

Firefox's extensions are what made it great. If you get rid of them, you're gonna end up with a slower chrome.

>mozzerella starts yet another super genius project that it'll soon drop and let rot
See Shumway.

are they forking chromium or edges engine?

>Did you niggers read the link?
>niggers read
>niggers
>read

user, I hate to tell you this...

>Shumway
All Shumway had to do was intercept AND play streaming vids that still hadn't moved to HTML5 to make it an alluring replacement, and after 5 fucking years, it still couldn't even do that

Why bother? The Extension creators are tired of getting fucked over by Mozilla. A lot of them are just straight up dropping support. Even if they did to make conversions, why would they not just make them for Chrome if they have to remake them from scratch anyway?

Protip firefox: A Quantum leap is a very tiny leap, in fact it is the smallest leap allowed by the laws of physics.

While this is likely the kind of leap their project will achieve, it is not what they meant to promise.

only fast on quantum computers

>The Extension creators are tired of getting fucked over by Mozilla
The Extension creators also happen to be the main reason Firefox really can't go anywhere major as it is, a good chunk likes to abloobloo whenever anyone in any given issues tracker mentions e10s breaks something, and retort with demands that you accept e10s is experimental, and that they have no obligation to support it. e10s has existed for years, and to this day, a lot of popular extensions either don't work or break spectacularly with e10s enabled. Extension creators have had years to make their shit work with e10s, but they haven't

And if Mozilla makes e10s mandatory at any given point once they feel it's where it needs to be, I guarantee you'll get even more whining about how Mozilla gave them zero warning about the shift, and will passive-aggressively refuse to develop for e10s versions of Firefox out of protest, there's no way to win with a community as entitled and backwards as Mozilla's

Servo is written from scratch in Rust. That's why after several years they only managed to make it display text and images.

>by the end of 2017...respond instantly, and be able to handle more intensive content while holding consistent frame rates.
>chrome right now

>Hey boy... wana get a browser like chrome... in the future?

Wait, Firefox is out? What's the cool new browser these days? Chromium?

What the fuck happened to Servo? Are they gonna call it Quantum from now on or what?

>firefox no addons edition

Ungoogled-chromium
or SeaMonkey if you can't live without FF addons

Servo as a rendering engine will remain separate but components developed in Servo will gradually be incorporated into Gecko/Firefox if they bring security, stability, or performance improvements. Not necessarily everything in Servo will be incorporated into Gecko/Firefox though, it depends on whether or not it's easier to port the component over or rewrite it in Rust.

The eventual plan is probably to incorporate the Servo rendering engine in its entirety into Firefox but Mozilla is still treating Servo as a research project with no long term goal in mind.

>Ungoogled chromium

The source code in itself is mostly contributions from Google.

>SJWFox

Never again.

Nah, extension creators are the one thing that FF had going for it. FF was pretty well off when it was the only real alternative to IE. After Chrome came out it became:

>IE: for idiots that were too lazy or ignorant to switch
>Chrome: for people that were fine with a vanilla experience but wanted to go fast
>FF: for people that wanted customization and control over their browser

It has nothing to do with being backwards or entitled. It has to do with Mozilla being run by idiots that care more about social justice than putting out the best browser they can. They are systematically making changes to make the browser more like Chrome and to further erode FF's own identity, which only succeeds in destroying the one advantage they used to have.

That's because HTML5 is a fucking mess.

It's beyond retarded how this browser is continually a work in progress.

Not one time have I got a stable release; even on the meme i7 I have bough a few months ago I still get crashes and hang ups.

Still using it because MUH FREEDOM though...

>MUH SEAMONKEY
what's wrong with Waterfox?

its just fagfox with some addons

They keep the web pages at a "cinematic" framerate, but no more!

that's literally what seamonkey is though

>start ff
>homepage loads - very light local news site
>over 300 MB of RAM used

Why does this happen and will quantum limit insane memory usage?

They used to joke about emacs being everything but the kernel. Shit like this makes me wonder why no one makes fun of hulking complex masses like these. All web browsers are like this now.

Firefox+Leenugs when?

>Firefox+Leenugs when?
You're kinda late FirefoxOS came and went. No one wanted it.

Lol, at least people have some sense. But isn't ChromeOS on the chromebooks just chrome and a few other utils with a bsd base?

>Except you're wrong, they're still going to port the most used features that chrome doesn't have.
They try, but XUL is an other animal, but least the new addons will be more safe and easier to maintain.

ChromeOS is based on Gentoo but it has a custom in-house display server thing.

I remember the display server being Wayland.

every time LGBT enter an institution it turned it into shit and bring chaos with it.

It's not the gay people the problem, it's the movement. They are like a Blight that just want to wreck things up.

I just wish we could go back to principles and start fresh with the web.

Seems like all it is now is legacy cruft + NEXTGEN feature x being piled on every fucking week.

Most things are like that. Unions, political parties, etc. At a certain point, they stop being about what started them, and start existing only to justify said existence.

>SJW
Mozilla is pretty good, for example Rust is a marvelous language, the true successor of C in usability, flexibility and portability.
But in the end you will continue to spouting memes and fapping to chink cartoons instead of talking about the important things.

>Project will be like chrome now while chrome will be always ahead

>source code in itself
don't tell him, let him live the dream