Bloo bloo bloo laptops / macs are too expensive

>Bloo bloo bloo laptops / macs are too expensive

Just a reminder that if you put $25 a week away into a savings account for 3-4 years (Average life span of a laptop) you will have 4-5k (assuming you work at least 46 weeks of a year). If you actually have a job and use a laptop everyday there is no reason why you can't afford to upgrade to the new mac / any other device

You get so much more for your money buying other brands than buying a macbook

it scares me that people are thinking of laptops as something they put on layaway or save up for or something.

you guys are tech enthusiasts. get jobs in tech. how can you be this strapped for cash?

I'm not strapped. I'd just prefer not to have the money come out of my regular savings.

i don't understand what you're saying. are you saying you want to not have the money transferred out of savings before you go to purchase it? why not? just don't make an excessive habit of it and you'll be fine.

obviously you should grow your savings, but if you're accumulating 4-5k for a purchase, that money might as well sit in a CD or savings account until you're ready to spend it (a savings account, most likely, since CDs tend to carry penalties for abrupt withdrawals). in that case, you're not thinking about setting aside $25/week as much as you are budgeting positively (i.e. you spend up to $200/month on groceries, 1300/month on rent, etc... and the rest goes into your savings)

> $25 a week
So by your logic, I'll pay more than $100 a month constantly so that I can have a macbook that gets replaced every few years.
I'm actually stunned by how stupid this is, on so many levels. To maintain my sanity, I'm going to conclude this is just a really good troll.

Not a poor fag so I could care less about the price. I just think that the touch bar thing is retarded. My next laptop will be a maxed out Dell XPS or ThinkPad X1

The problem is not that they are more expensive.
The problem is that they actually made them worse than the previous model.

he's just saying "save money every week to buy something expensive". this isn't that complicated or trollish unless you deliberately interpret it in the most stupid way imaginable.

his advice is a platitude, like "hey guys, life tip: don't spend more money than you make!", but it's not wrong.

>worse than the previous model
>4 USB type C ports
>each one could drive 4k monitors
>a standard power adapter finally
worse in some ways that matter to you, but at least call that fact out or you look like an idiot.

The problem with macs being expensive isn't not being able to afford them Plato, it's that you can always get more powerful hardware for the same price. That and the fact that os x is the fisher price playkit of operating systems and if you really need to run a program on it you're better off using a VM.

>You get so much more for your money buying other brands than buying a macbook
Except value.
IBM just stated that they saved $500+ a year by issuing Macs to staff rather than other brands. And they had fewer than half the support calls.
The Macs will be worth much more than other laptops when their lease expires so the Total Cost of Ownership is just so much lower.

I've been saving about 650/month for the last months, but $100 is way too much to save for a laptop per month. Unless it's your main device and you're doing something serious, in which case I'm sorry for you. I hope you get a workstation soon.

>support costs
>maintanence cost
>residual value after lease

none of those apply to me because I'm not a fucking large scale enterprise, you shill fuck

he's saying it shouldn't be a significant enough purchase that he should need to go into savings to pay for. it should be easily affordable with disposable income.

>more powerful than 4 USB Type C ports
>more powerful than driving 2x 5k monitors
Good joke

Yes they do because the support costs apply to you as do the residuals, unless you throw your stuff away when it breaks, which means it's worse.
If quoting a big corps news item is shilling you should open your eyes (and mind) as to what is posted in Sup Forums.

the average lifespan of a macbook and macbook pro is 7 years tho, but many remain useful even longer

lol I have a £40 a day coke addiction like fuck can I save money for a fagbook

Yeap...100% right. Alot of people have no patience.The sad part of it most of the people who buy Macs just buy them to look hip. I use Windows and Linux machines.

If I was more serious about recording music I would have a Macintosh. They are plenty of used Macintosh Computers for sale on Ebay.

Point is this.......the people who generally moan are these.....they can't afford it and are jealous of the people who can. The ones who can't comfortably afford it and the ones who aren't with just buying what they are able to afford.

A Computer at the end of the day should be a tool to get productive tasks done.

Coke is GREAT fun!!!!!!

it's not when it consumes your life unfortunately

You are right about that, user. I only do it once in a very great while....I might buy myself a gram of it once a year. It's rare that I smoke weed as well.

woo, a WHOLE GRAM PER DAY and not even getting a preferential deal for your regular custom? that's literally fucking nothing. grow up and stop trying to show off how le broken and le edgy you are, you little faggot. your dealer is laughing at you, any friends you have are laughing at you, and i'm laughing at you.

good for you buddy

what kind of costs are talking about, I actually like dealing with computers it's a great pass time. I fix my own computers.

macOS gives me more errors per unit of time than Fedora and physical damage isn't an issue, so to me personally your generalization does not apply.

If your tech breaks that often and you can't fix it yourself then that's a PEBKAC issue

your stockholm syndrome is pretty bad user,i'd see someone for that

I never understood why addicts don't just buy a cheap kilogram of their substance.

Or I could just buy a laptop for 25$ that does the same thing.

you loser, does my opinion not count because I'm not some homeless addict? Not everyone with coke problems has to be fucking Scarface.

We know we would probably be better off doing that. One reason is we always think we will get clean soon, so why buy that much when tomorrow is the last day (It never is)

Another reason is if I buy in bulk I'll just blast through it until it's gone. If I buy smaller amounts at a time I don't have as much to squander at once.

calm down user

>you loser, does my opinion not count because I'm not some homeless addict? Not everyone with coke problems has to be fucking Scarface.
your opinion doesn't count because a gram per day is fucking irrelevant. i used to do 1/8th ket per day and still held down a good job and even managed to get sober enough so see "normal" friends and family on a Saturday before getting fucked right up on ket, coke, ghb, pills and mcat on a sunday for an event we used to go to. you're just being a special snowflake, which presumably makes you think that you're being cool and edgy.

>calls someone out for bragging with coke
>proceeds to brag about it trying to show he's a bigger junkie
lol chill your inferiority complex man

>Yes they do because the support costs apply to you as do the residuals

I've had this $100 laptop for ten months. The only support cost was when I fell asleep with a connector plugged in to the headphone jack and rolled over and broke it off. I replaced it with $40 USB headphones. I probably will solder on a new connector one of these days. Unless I break 5 laptops in the next 2 months I don't have $500 in support costs to save in a year of ownership.

I use this laptop for shit posting, media consumption, and programming. I don't see any purpose in paying $2000 so I can do the same shit. Since the software I use isn't made by a company who relies on selling new hardware every year to stay afloat, the performance will still be the same.

>We know we would probably be better off doing that. One reason is we always think we will get clean soon, so why buy that much when tomorrow is the last day (It never is)
>Another reason is if I buy in bulk I'll just blast through it until it's gone. If I buy smaller amounts at a time I don't have as much to squander at once.
Build a vending machine that dispenses only 1g per day

Also you can always sell the leftovers after you quit.

>spending more than £200 on a laptop

You could buy a PC more powerful than a Mac (and being upgradeable it is also repairable) and a cheap laptop for portability for less than half the price of a Mac.

Macfags like the OP are just blind consumerists spending far too much money on feelings, rather than spending the money to do something with it.

mac users are poor people trying to compensate and hide their poverty lol

I bought a T60 for an in-between about 2 years ago and haven't done a thing to it but give it a SSD (which cost about £40) just for the system and put all my /home partition on a HDD in the bay (with a caddy I paid £5 for).

This thing is 10 years old and is still a really capable machine.

The price increase is stupid.

My dad bought a 5k iMac for £1650 2 weeks ago and now the exact same model is £1911.

I want Asus UX306 as my Gentoo host.

>Dell XPS

>The number of ports = power
>being able to drive only two 5K monitors

Wow, your argument is very complex and thoughful

but i'm not a large corporation leasing computers for my idiot employees to fuck up

Yeah I'm really digging this x86 performance stagnation thing. I mean yeah it's cool AVX can now do 16 float ops in one instruction but unless decoding HEVC gets a lot harder there's no need for it for me. Compiling doesn't benefit. Reading manuals doesn't benefit. Listening to music benefits but only by a couple percent more of my clock cycles spent in a higher C state. Same with videos.

My load average stays below .2 almost all the time and I have 4 threads. If I wanted to power 4 4k monitors I'd connect them to a desktop that shits all over a 2k laptop at a fraction of the price. I'm not carrying a monitor with me.

>for the price of a refurbished pro I could get a Razer Blade for $100 more

I was going to hop on the apple train but that's a hell of a GPU.

I just wish it wasn't covered in "gamer" shit.

AES-NI makes a huge difference for full disk encryption, SSH and OpenVPN both in performance and battery life.
That was my main reason to upgrade.

I can easily afford the latest mac, but I am not homosexual, a woman or a child so these toys do not appeal to me.

My thinkpad cost $300. So if I can save $500 by choosing a mac, do I get a mac and $200 for free by IBM?

I know this is a shitpost, but, I bought a MBPr15" in 2012 and it's been great. They are very durable and long lasting.

>get pic related
>basically the same internals as a Macbook but with 512gb SSD as default
>has a similar solid build
>has a touch screen and converts into a laptop
>install Antergos with Gnome 3
>get excellent performance and long battery life

Bam, now you have a laptop that's basically like a Macbook except you spent $750 instead of $1600. And this is coming from someone who actually owns and likes Macs. Sometimes you can't just spend nearly two thousand dollars for a shitposting and anime watching machine.

Great news for you my friend! dbrand offers super high quality skins for YOUR favorite tech with WORLDWIDE shipping

Just head on over to dbrand.com/linus for a one-time discount

My $100 laptop has AES-NI. I agree it's awesome.

# Algorithm | Key | Encryption | Decryption
aes-cbc 128b 587.9 MiB/s 1558.9 MiB/s
serpent-cbc 128b 55.8 MiB/s 261.9 MiB/s
twofish-cbc 128b 147.5 MiB/s 214.3 MiB/s
aes-cbc 256b 495.8 MiB/s 1223.5 MiB/s
serpent-cbc 256b 63.1 MiB/s 262.0 MiB/s
twofish-cbc 256b 155.8 MiB/s 212.6 MiB/s
aes-xts 256b 1426.0 MiB/s 1430.5 MiB/s
serpent-xts 256b 234.5 MiB/s 236.3 MiB/s
twofish-xts 256b 197.8 MiB/s 198.6 MiB/s
aes-xts 512b 1127.0 MiB/s 1112.1 MiB/s
serpent-xts 512b 234.0 MiB/s 235.5 MiB/s
twofish-xts 512b 199.3 MiB/s 197.0 MiB/s

If I had a SSD and it saturated my SATA port, encryption wouldn't bottleneck it.

I bought my gf one of those. The amount of enclosure flex is absolutely awful, I ended up returning it. It's so bad that it will actually click the trackpad. So unless you always use a laptop on a sturdy desk, it's a shitty choice.

Well, it's not perfect but I wouldn't return for something like that.

It was bullshit.

Apple gets a premium, but they build a quality product. Sup Forums hates anything popular and expensive, because it is full of poorfag autists, but for a lot of people it's a great choice. On top of that, normies get quality design with the ability to walk into Apple stores and get help, training and service.

Damn this is pretty cool.

I wish Laptops came with Windows 7.

how did I do?

I dunno man, I've sometimes had that issue but it's not very often.

>converts to a tablet*

I really don't understand the make it thinner meme. If I had to guess my laptop is about an inch thick. I've never once thought man it would be so much better if it was a cm thinner. At least with phones you're sticking it in your pocket but even there we've long passed the point of diminishing returns and headed over the peak of the optimization curve.

I checked the Macbook website and they're advertising 10 hour battery life with a wierd ass battery spread out all throughout the case. Add on another cm and it's still thinner than mine and it lasts days.

The point of all this emphasis on power management is to extend battery life not shave milimeters. We should have regular sized laptops that I can take on a week long camping trip and watch movies at night on.

my point is that he's behaving like a 12 year old girl who tried weed once and now tries to label herself as some kind of junkie under the false pretense that it's cool and that chad will now want to rail her.

reminder that you must be 18 plus to post on this board and that its bad enough already without delusional muh speshul snowflake children trying to use it to get dicked by chad.

sorry user, but anyone capably of building a machine which dispenses 1g per day is more than capable km of opening if up and taking the full stash at once.

>save money for 3-4 years
>buy a macbook
>obsolete a year later
Have fun with that.

>sorry user, but anyone capably of building a machine which dispenses 1g per day is more than capable km of opening if up and taking the full stash at once.
Weld it shut.
The need to use an angle grinder to get more than 1 gram should be enough of a psychological deterrent.

>op here, macs are better because i say so

>Source: my ass

I could afford one, but I don't want one.

Yeah, I think it depends on the user. The issue with thinness is stiffness. If you half the thickness of a material, it has a quarter of the stiffness. Some of that can be made up with stiffer materials and geometry (framing), but there is a limitation because of the parts needed to fit inside and cost.

For my gf, thinness matters for than it does for me. She wants it light and thin to toss it in her (large but not huge) hangbag. Does that extra cm matter? Probably not. I think a lot of that is just visual aesthetics and marketing that everyone is chasing after rather than practicality.

I think that's any industry, I mean we just added a new feature to a product where I work that I think is pretty useless but people absolutely love talking about it and it sells units.

I kind of doubt the 10 hour battery life too, especially if the current MBPrs are anything to compare it to.

>If I imagine a payment plan in my head it makes it cost less

I wonder if they fixed the cooling problems. Current MBPr's get hot as fuck.

>implying I didn't blow $1500 on a P50 MemePad

Even though I have the cash now, I won't buy a MemeBook.

If you put those 25$ a week in an S&P500 unit trust fund or similar you'll probably be able to buy a nice small home after 30 years and not just end up with a stack of aluminium garbage

Prime savings?

You could make it so it destroys the contents if fucked with. The trick is to make it such a pain in the ass to defeat the antitampering measure that just going out and scoring another gram is a better idea. Which is the problem with a metering solution. You are trying to prevent using more because you have more. You're accustomed to buying a gram anyway. Now you have two grams for the same price per day and you're back where you started.

Nice, but what the fuck are prime savings

No one wants that shitty laptop so they discount it.

>>reddit

>saving $100 a month on a laptop computer
>forever

Or you could buy a chinkpad off of ebay for $150 every three or four years and use the money you "saved" for shit that actually matters.

At the end of the day it's just a fucking laptop. No need to spend your life savings on one.

Delete this.

Not too bad. Generally I hate any notion of a gaming laptop, but for less than $500 with that hardware included it's a good deal.

Thanks for Correcting the Record, Macfriend.

cool, a hackintosh x220. does it work as well as an MBP?

That's an is thing. Why not just hackintosh?

No I idea, I just ripped the image off of google. Little bit of research I've done in the matter says it will install from one of the standard hackintosh ISOs with no issue.

>paying extra for a less capable device

WEW you wanna buy some timeshares too mr. money bags? you are successful and not poor right????

>LITERALLY PUTTING ALL MY LIFE SAVINGS FOR YEARS INTO AN UNDERPOWERED GARBAGE

I have money to blow and I still don't buy macs. Not because I can't afford them but because they're a symbol of homosexuality. That and they're overheating turds with unusable OSs.

>giant company
>why not violate copyright laws?