I've been using apple laptops since the ibook g3...

i've been using apple laptops since the ibook g3. I never thought I would see the day I prefer a dell laptop to apple's latest macbook.

when did everything go so wrong?

When Apple decided to take "muh innovation" to a whole new level :^)

apple made a godawful first generation MBA as well. their first generation laptops are always too extreme and cut off a lot of support for legacy shit that we're all used to.

i find it kind of unbelievable that you've been using apple laptops since the ibook and you're not personally familiar with this fact.

This isn't the first generation of anything other than the touch bar though, which is an inherently flawed concept as far as productivity goes, unless generation 2 goes against apple's own design philosophy by being a lot larger.

this is a pretty extreme redesign though. new keyboard, new trackpad, completely dropping all of the other ports for the ports that we expect to replace them in the next year.

i don't think it's controversial to call this an iterative update. it's clearly not.

whoops, meant
>i don't think it's controversial to say this is not an iterative update. it's clearly not.

anyway, apple has been pretty reliable about a tick tock release cycle. they've been doing this with the peripheral devices for years now. this is the tick; wait for the tock (or at least wait for reviews if you want this laptop that badly)

Apple, like Nintendo, is a gimmick company now.

>Dell

Enjoy your overheating plastic POS

>ports that we expect to replace them in the next year

Does anyone really expect USB to go away? All I predict is people jumping ship and a handful of Apple diehards who use adapters permanently.

>Does anyone really expect USB to go away? All I predict is people jumping ship and a handful of Apple diehards who use adapters permanently.
Type C is better than Type A and the myriad forms of Type B, so yeah there's at least the will to do it.

i have a fuckton of peripherals that aren't going to be updated in the next 2 or 3 years (everything from bike lights to tablets), but there's no reason that their successors (released a year or so from now) shouldn't use type C. for one thing, there's finally a mainstream laptop on the market that benefits from it. for another, whatever costs are associated with using the USB spec should remain the same with type C (that is, basically none)

this chicken and egg problem demands someone goes first. apple often goes first. some diehards put up with adapters for a while (remember OS X's superdrive? and airdrive or whatever it was called? those were awful).

was your whole comment just "Sweet mother of christ"? you weren't able to just write that out?

I don't even have a problem with the ports situation, since it it encourage the movement to usb-c. But a gimmick touch bar, tiny spec bumps, and a massive increase in price. no thanks.

can't follow.
what did go wrong?
where did you use the new mbp?

This.

Been using Apple since 2002, I'm a photographer/graphic designer that also works in a music production studio.

Although I cannot see people swicthing away from Apple Logic anytime soon, the people switching in the sphere of Graphic Design will grow. Especially after seeing the demo of Microsofts Surface Studio.

This release by Apple is one of many strikes on the last nail in it's coffin.

If they really wanted to innovate, they'd find a way to sort the ridiculous prices out, and embrace touch technology on their iMacs.

These laptops are a fucking disaster.

sure, but everything except for the touch bar was a complaint about the first generation MBA as well.

the first generation is garbage. wait for the second generation. also, learn to spot these patterns. you've been using apple products since the ibooks and you didn't notice this shit with the iphone and the ipad and the macbook air and all this other shit? pay more attention

no, your pattern argument is false. When apple made the switch to the intel cpu's, the pro models were very competitive against other laptops. When apple started the retina screens, the pro models were a great deal compared to other laptops.

This is a massive blunder. The mb pro offers absolutely nothing yet there is a huge increase in price. I can get a dell with a better cpu, gpu, higher res screen, and ports such hdmi and sd-card slot for a lower price. Apple has lost it.

>Britfag here.
>Paid well, in Netsec field.
>Running Macs since 2003.
>Holding out on buying a new MBP until the October refresh.
>Now can't possibly justify the cost of a new Mac relative to their competition..

TFW Apple just priced themselves out of the reach of the (sensible) British middle class.

>so much dell shilling
$0.01 has been deposited into your accounts pajeets

Same boat. Irishfag, can usually make the price of one shooting a single wedding. But I genuinely see no real rational this time round. Who the fuck needs a touch bar?

Are you that autist throwing a tantrum in the other thread?

>tiny spec bumps
wide-gamut screen
67% higher contrast ratio
up to 130% faster graphics
100% faster flash storage
100% faster Thunderbolt 3
>a massive increase in price
2015 mbp with 256gb ssd is $1499, so that's $300 more or 20%

your counterpoint is one exception?

i'll accept one exception to the rule. you should be able to spot the pattern in the rest of these cases. or do you think the iPhone 3G wasn't significantly better than the original iPhone? and the MBA first gen was dogshit compared to the second gen? and the first generation iPad and the first generation watch were both much much worse than their successors?

go look for archives of Sup Forums calling apple's time of death when they announced the macbook air. all the same prophesying of blunders and how apple has lost their edge and stuff.

after years of Sup Forums announcing that their last launch was the blunder that will doom them, you all sound like Chicken Littles. It's this and "this upcoming year is the year of the linux desktop" drum

i have no idea what you're talking about, so my hunch is no.

so one should ignore the first gen?
how's the relevant for the fourth gen mbp?

... are you just joining the thread?

meanwhile I can get a cheaper laptop that has a faster i7 quad-core cpu that isn't last years model, a gtx 1080 which destroys the midrange gpu apple put in, a touch screen, and enough ports so i don't have to carry 50 different dongles with me.

>wide-gamut screen - 25% more, whooptie fucking doop.
67% higher contrast ratio - see above.
up to 130% faster graphics - LONG OVERDUE
100% faster flash storage - non upgradeable
100% faster Thunderbolt 3 - Standard
>a massive increase in price

>2015 mbp with 256gb ssd is $1499, so that's $300 more or 20%

So we pay extra for a refresh that still only has minimal upgrades.

No thanks.

Pic fyi Amerifags.

And no, this is not really about the value of the pound. Apple are just using the fluctuating pound:dollar exchange rate as a cynical opportunity.

Never mind, it's as he's posting the exact same thing.

Unless that's you.

comparing gaming laptops to subnotebooks is retarded

you seem to be arguing that the MBP has never been an especially competitive machine to begin with. this is called a red herring. the point that we're talking about is whether this is a tiny spec bump *from the last MBP*.

if you're confused about why the MBP remains competitive despite not being a good value for specs/$, then go start another thread or something. don't try to sneak it into this one.

because gpu's are only used for gaming? They help massively for anyone working in photography, video, cuda programming, machine learning/deep learning.

But what would apple or it's fanboys know about the pro market.

he's right though. where's this thread?

Mate, I'm a massive macfag but that touchbar reeks of arrogance at being proven wrong about touch screen computers. It's fucking terrible. The price hike to pay for a literal gimmick is just insulting.

He's right about some things, wrong on a few points, and overemotional about everything to the point that it's comical.

Thread 404'd

Apple was always meant for liberal arts fags who only browse the web. It was never meant for people in STEM fields.

was it this one?
he seems rustled about you calling him autistic in every response.

>mfw aplel uses ayymd poojeet gpus
>mfw everyting adobe uses cuda

again, learn what a subnotebook and desktop replacement is.

subnotebooks care about mobility in form and battery life.
13" subnotebooks have zero space for a dGPU.
15" subnotebooks have a little space for some low-power dGPU (like 35W TDP)
Apple doesn't do drt but subnotebooks.

Taking the daughter to Apple tomorrow. She insists she wants the 13" one but also does movies. Her previous 2011 was dog slow. If the 13" is good enough for her I'm fine with that, but a loaded up 256GB 13" is only like $200 under the base 15" (talking with toolbar). Not sure what to do.

when was the last time you went to college? the 90s?

>Apple tomorrow
>(talking with toolbar)
the ones with toolbars will only be out in 2-3 weeks

get her a proper laptop and not a fashion accesory?

>And no, this is not really about the value of the pound. Apple are just using the fluctuating pound:dollar exchange rate as a cynical opportunity.

We all know that Apple charges massive profit margins and they've increased their prices countless times before, it doesn't cause an outrage for anyone.

At this point, it can be assumed that if you still pay it, you simply like to take it up the ass by Apple. And since hating on gays is uncool now, the media will just leave it at that.

NO BUT HES THERE TOO HAHAHA

I prefer the 13" models personally, but its just a shame you take a hit on graphics performance.
It's worth it for the comfier form-factor.

>Her previous 2011 was dog slow.
get a SSD
> If the 13" is good enough
only macbook pro escape is out and that's in reality a mba (same 15W CPU, not 28W like prev MBP). if you need performance that isn't the one.

meanwhile inn reality:
>Affordability is "absolutely something we care about," Schiller says. "But we don't design for price, we design for the experience and the quality people expect from Mac. Sometimes that means we end up at the higher end of the range, but not on purpose, just because that's what it costs."

>It's worth it for the comfier form-factor.
new 15" mbp is as comfy as old 13"

>that touchbar reeks of arrogance at being proven wrong about touch screen computers
What does this even mean?

>we end up at the higher end of the range, but not on purpose, just because that's what it costs
Those chinese slave workers sure are expensive

Apple said touchscreens for Macs don't make sense.
Apple can't own up their mistake.
instead Apple designs some alternative touchscreen on the keyboard.

>uses cuda
>adobe programs aren't cpu intensive
niggayoudumb?

>has no idea how to calculate the costs of laptops

CUDA relieves CPU usage due to processing done on the GPU...
Not using CUDA with the creative cloud is actually a real hit, because GPU processing not only puts less stress on the CPU the arithmetic is much faster.