What happened to 10k RPM hard drives? Last I saw them in new computers was maybe 2012...

What happened to 10k RPM hard drives? Last I saw them in new computers was maybe 2012. HDD manufacturers still shit out 7200RPM drives, yet won't move an inch on pricing with their 10k drives.

>slower than ssd
>more power consumption than ssd
>more prone to failure than ssd
>same price with ssd
Whats the point?

>same price with ssd
SSD is cheaper too. 1 TB SSD is around 250ish.

Also SSD's enterprise now feature 60 TB of storage space, vastly outstripping any enterprise hard drive storage.

They're supposed to be cheaper than SSDs. Much the same reason why 5400RPM drives still exist.

SSDs are nothing more than a Sup Forums meme. No one seriously uses them in industry because of the extremely limited number of writes. Also they cost a fuck ton more per gigabyte, and do not have the capacity to hold the entire operating system and applications for a modern computer workstation. The speeds are barely faster than 10000 rpm drives, especially when you consider the fact that most of your hard drive accesses are going through RAM caches anyway, you aren't going to hit the actual disk every time. The only thing SSDs have is *slightly* faster bootup times. But bootup is less than 1% of computer use time, so it's not really a metric worth optimizing for. Just hibernate your PC instead of shutting it off, or grow some pateince and wait the 10 extra seconds to boot up with a normal hard drive.

5400rpm drives exist because of laptops

>SSD's enterprise now feature 60 TB of storage space
>now
You mean the kind that isn't being sold?

was it 10k rpm?

I am dumb. Deleting this to hide my shame.

trolling aside since this psuedo-campaign has lasted almost a decade now it's amazing how you see these "tech experts" who think they're being clever by knowingly sticking with whatever happened to be around at the time, and in the anti-SSD case it was 2006-2008. They did indeed suck in 2008, it's 2016, I know this is hard for you to comprehend.

I still know some "techies" from just a few years earlier who are forever stuck in 2003 and insist IDE was "perfectly fine" and that this "newfangled sata crap" is some sort of cancer. again might have sucked for the first two years but now you're disregarding an entire billion dollar industry which you insist exists only because of some meme status.

God damn it. I can't delete a post this old.

Yes good goy SSDs aren't placebo
Be a good consumer!

Intel SSDs were Sup Forums approved back then but nothing else was.

I still have my 1st generation 36gig raptor, still works like a charm when I need it. My mom's computer still runs my old 150gb raptor and my 500gb raptor is currently in one of my esxi hosts since I put an ssd in my desktop.

Raptors are still one of the best drives wd produced

epik meme

There is no need. SSDs took over if you need speed. Especially in the enterprise market.

7200RPM drives are perfectly fine for cheap, bulk storage. e.g.: large media files that don't need fast access times.

Personally I still have a WD 10k drive. Last time I fired that rig up it seemed really goddamn loud. Are they actually louder than 7200 drives or is this one fucked?

7200RPM is overkill for storage.

>drive in a RAID dies
>some retard says 7200RPM is overkill
Gee I hope this other drive is ready before another one dies.

I haven't seen a laptop with anything but 7200rpm in a long time, other than cheaper than $500 ones. Same with pre-built PCs.

They are in about 50% of servers, and growing. IOPS matter, kid. Server and enterprise use is what is funding the development costs, and eventually price drop of flash nand. You know nothing. Nothing.

>No one seriously uses them in industry because of the extremely limited number of writes

This hasn't been true for years

Write limits now are well past the lifetime of HDD's

I don't trust SSDs because you can't hear them, and once they're gone they're gone.

If you hear your HDD start making some crazy noises you know it's time to pack your shit up and get ready to leave.

When a SSD dies it just leaves and calls you a faggot.

>If you hear your HDD start making some crazy noises you know it's time to pack your shit up and get ready to leave.
If you hear your hard drive making crazy noises you're already too late.

Also
>waiting for trouble BEFORE backing up
You're doing things backwards, dickprick

Why would you want a slower, hotter, louder, and failure-prone 10000rpm consumer drive when an SSD has none of those downsides?
I think most data centers are anticipating the day that SSDs cost about the same per GB as a SAS hard drive.

>The only thing SSDs have is *slightly* faster bootup times
Kek
Try running 14 VMs off of a single 7200rpm or 15000rpm hard drive. Dog bless my 850 PRO.

Why would you need 10k RPM drives when even MacBooks come with 2TB SSDs now.

There's no need for them. If people want fast they buy an SSD.

You can only think this if you have never used an SSD.

Its not just faster bootup, it eliminates your computer being slow as shit while all the startup programs and services launch after logging in

It makes disk thrashing a total utter non-issue

>SSDs are nothing more than a Sup Forums meme. No one seriously uses them in industry
t. someone who clearly isn't in the industry

>especially when you consider the fact that most of your hard drive accesses are going through RAM caches anywany
But that's wrong
RAM cache doesn't help when you're running shit you havent launched or accessing new files you havent accessed that boot

not if you want to use the files too.

high end hdd's have been deprecated by ssd's

if you want more speed, get an ssd
if you want more space, get a regular hdd

regular hdd's do sequential reads/writes fast enough, and you can increase that by raiding them
if you want more IOPS, ssd's destroy hdd's, even the cheapest ones, getting a 10k hdd for high IOPS workloads nowadays with relatively cheap/big ssds is stupid