My tecnological naggas I just bought a 13" rMBP 2015

my tecnological naggas I just bought a 13" rMBP 2015.

Never used macOS, just win and gnu/linex.

What are those things I should really know before hand about macOS ?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_OS_X_software
store.hp.com/us/en/ContentView?storeId=10151&eSpotName=hpspectre
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The first thing you have to know is that this is exactly the kind of question you should ask BEFORE actually buying the product

Not too worried since I could install any other OS on top if I dont like it.

spotlight: command+space

app/desktop view: three finger swipe up

go between desktops/full screen apps: three finger swipe left/right

hold down option key and click something (like wifi icon): more options

reveal hidden files in finder: command+shift+.

command+shift+3: screenshot screen

command+shift+4 then space: screenshot a window

brew.sh

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_OS_X_software

If you need anything look for the reddit list of useful tools.

ignore everyone else and just read this

enjoy youe'r laptop

>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_OS_X_software
Why does this redirect me to MeatSpin?

haha!

you've been tricked! by the hacker known as Sup Forums

fuck brew, use pkgsrc.

also sucks for you, but you can't install 10.9, the last good version.

cmd + shift + 4 for custom screenshots, very handy for all kinds of shitposting

>What are those things I should really know before hand about macOS ?

That it has been getting worse for years and Sierra is pretty much unusable. Best to install a decent Linux distribution.

>Sierra is pretty much unusable
Don't listen to this faggot. Sierra is basically just a bugfix release for El Capitan. It's very stable and usable.

Did it fix the absolute shit performance?

>Sierra is pretty much unusable.
>Best to install a decent Linux distribution.

Thanks for the laugh.

> epoll broken
> kqueue broken
> semaphores broken

They might as well just break malloc next.

mmap is also still fucked up. The low levels of MacOS are just so fucking bad.

if you're experienced with linux toolset then you should feel right at home in OSX. on a macbook specifically learn to take advantage of full screen mode and swiping between workspaces to setup your work flow. use better touch tool or become familiar with keyboard shortcuts (or setup your own) to make it even more efficient

>swiping between workspaces

Use a hotkey to go the exact workspace you need you potato nigger.

Wasn't that fixed previously? wtf.

Yeah but you have to boot into OSX just to access it you retard.

The lower levels of OS X have been basically just left to rot. The kernel and the file system are especially disgusting.

just hold option when the mac starts up

Thank you guys.
Yeah I'm already used to work with shortcuts (custom ones also) and workspaces so if this is similar to Linux it shouldn't be a problem.

Get ready to compile all your shit because OS X has no decent package manager.

The biggest thing to realize is the core difference in the way programs are represented on the screen. There is an important reason why there is a single menu bar at the top of the screen instead of a separate menu bar in each program window, and it's because multitasking is handled completely differently in macOS from competing platforms. Programs do not run inside windows - they run in the menu bar. A program can certainly spawn windows in order to show content, but they don't have to because you can access their functions from the menu bar. Closing the last window associated with the program doesn't normally close the program because it's still running in the menu bar. Since the menu bar is only big enough to show one program at once, you can click the icons in the dock to change the visible program. Clicking on a visible window for a program also switches to showing that particular program on the menu bar. You can tell which program is currently visible because the leftmost menu on the menu bar will have the same name as the program. If you don't have access to macOS yet just google some screenshots of a desktop and you'll see what I'm talking about.

If you find yourself unable to figure out how to do something in a program, realize that the menu bar is the main interface for a conventional macOS program and you can't afford to overlook it in your search. Don't forget about its existence just because it isn't inside the window you're focusing on. Also be conscious of WHICH program's menus you're looking at. If you're confused as to why Safari's "Bookmarks" menu has disappeared from the menu bar, it could be because you've switched to showing Mail's menu by accident. In that case, the leftmost menu would be called "Mail" and not "Safari".

Only other tip I have would be to realize that "Finder" is the system's built-in file manager, as that's not really the most intuitive name for a file manager and makes it sound like some kind of search tool.

Same user here. Thought of a few more tips:

- By default, Finder sorts files and folders together instead of listing all folders first like in most file managers. I found this extremely annoying and used to rely on third-party tools to fix it, but fortunately, the newest macOS added an option for more traditional sorting in Finder's options.

- You should probably turn on the "Path Bar" option in Finder by going to Finder's View menu. It helps you know where the fuck you actually are in the file system.

- The leftmost menu for a program (that has the same name as the program) is always where you go to Quit the program, access the program's preferences, or open the program's "About" screen.

- If a program freezes up, this can affect the responsiveness of the menu bar if that program is currently displayed there. If clicking the Apple menu does nothing, try clicking on the desktop (to change the active program to Finder), which should make the Apple menu responsive again.

- If you go to /Applications, you'll see a list of installed programs on your Mac, which makes no sense to someone who actually understands files and folders. What's actually happening behind the scenes is that you are looking at the equivalent of Windows's "Program Files" directory. /Applications actually contains a list of folders that each end in ".app", such as "Safari.app". Finder reads data inside these folders that tell it what icon to give the folder and what executable file to run when you double-click the folder. It also hides the ".app" part, making these program folders look exactly like program shortcuts. You can right-click on any of them and select "Show Package Contents" to actually go inside the folder and see what's going on in there. If you look at the /Applications folder in the terminal you'll see what the folder's contents really look like.

i dont understand.why buy a macbook when you can buy this?

store.hp.com/us/en/ContentView?storeId=10151&eSpotName=hpspectre

>Get ready to compile all your shit because OS X has no decent package manager.
You get pre-compiled binaries. Nobody builds from source. Only people who see difficulty as a positive do that.

>why buy a macbook when you can buy this?
Because you don't want to run Windows?
I realise you could load it with Linux but nobody does that.

I work with macOS and NetBSD with pkgsrc. Servers run either NetBSD or CentOS with pkgsrc as well. No virtualization needed.

It's pretty comfy desu.

OP here thank you very much guys for the tips.

Also where do the programs get install?
what's the path?

Or the system structure.

Same user again. I'm not an expert with the directory structure but I can tell you the important stuff:

/Applications - As I already said in the last post, this is where macOS programs get installed. It's the equivalent of %SystemDrive%\Program Files in Windows.

/Library - Programs can store data and settings here that are NOT specific to a particular user. It's roughly the equivalent of %SystemDrive%\ProgramData on Windows.

/Volumes - This is where partitions get mounted automatically. So if you plug in a flash drive with the label "AnonFlash", it will get mounted to /Volumes/AnonFlash. /Volumes is hidden in Finder.

/System - A lot of core OS files are in here. Maybe it's the equivalent of %SystemDrive%\Windows on Windows, but I don't know enough yet to say that with confidence. You'll have to google to learn more.

/Users - This directory contains a subfolder for each user on the system. It's the same thing as %SystemDrive%\Users on Windows.

/Users/user/Library - This is where program settings and data specific to user's user account are stored. It is roughly equivalent to %SystemDrive%\Users\user\Application Data on Windows. The folder is hidden in Finder by default. However, if you go to View > Show View Options in Finder when in your Home Folder, you should see a checkbox to make it visible. This should be one of the first things you do as an advanced macOS user on a new machine.

There are also a bunch of Unix-related folders in the root (/bin, /usr, /var, etc.) that are there because macOS is built on a Unix OS called "Darwin". The Darwin folders are hidden from Finder. Go to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system) to read up on Darwin if you want/need to know more, because I can't tell you shit.

No you don't. Stop acting like you know what you're talking about.

I've heard this a few times but somehow it never seems to affect my actual usage of the system. I use it a ton for a huge variety of tasks, and it's rock solid stable. When have you been actively inconvenienced by these internal issues?

You're delusional and it shows

Right click is 2 fingers on the mouse pad.

Setup mouse hot corners to show all windows and to reveal the desktop.

Also, apps are usually delivered as .dmg images that are like mountable drives. You can test use an app from the mounted virtual drive before installing it to /Applications. Also, in general apps are stupid easy to install.