Apples touch bar. Innovative or gimmick?

Other urls found in this thread:

infoworld.com/article/2618327/laptop-computers/the-hidden-danger-of-touchscreens.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

pure gimmick

Courageous.

It's a way to add touch controls withot reworking the whole MacOS to be more usable with touch screens like Microsoft did with W10

you might as well replace the entire keyboard with just one giant touchpad

I also think it's gimmick desu. Though probably other manufacturers will copy that soon enough

you mean the razer blade pro? it's been around for years.

keyboard shortcuts for people who can't remember keyboard shortcuts

hunt-and-peckers rejoice

I wouldn't say innovative but it could be pretty useful for content creation, other than that it would be useless gimmick that you wasted a grand on

>innovative: (of a product, idea, etc.) featuring new methods; advanced and original.
So by definition, nope, this is not a new idea. Not a gimmick either, just progression.

its a fucking gimmick. there is a reason you put shit like function and F keys up there: your fucking hands are never resting anywhere near that bullshit.

trying to make it seem like you would use them in fucking programs doesnt make sense. everything you actually USE is at the bottom

idea != featuring new methods
This is quite literally the best implementation of this idea I've ever seen and if it has a truly significant predecessor I'd love to know about it.

If they kept the physical ESC key no one would complain about the touchbar.

/thread

It's a way to offer up non-traditional characters for direct input without putting up selection menus on the screen, and actual function keys specific to an application. (F5 means different things to different programs.)

Windows fanboys will no doubt tout being able to directly touch the screen on the Surface machines. And I'm sure some self-proclaimed UI experts will argue the issues of shifting your focus back & forth between the screen and Touch Bar. I'm still working through the interface implications myself, including the usual, "nuthin I can't already do in some way with the trackpad," like people do about 3D touch on the iPhone.

I'm wondering what happens with it if you install Windows or Linux onto the machine. Will the hardware recognize this and display f-keys by default?

What about 3rd party programs?

not him but it reminds me of the G15 keyboard (2005)
it had a screen which could show different information through application/plugin support

Gimmick.

>Affinity Designer
>Pixelmator
>Sketch
>DaVinci Resolve

What about 3rd party programs that people actually use?

poignant

literally shaking now

preorder placed

Adobe demoed Photoshop in the fucking keynote, do you know anything about the product you're trashing.

Sup Forums needs to know as little as possible about apple products so that they can bitch about as much of it as possible.

just found out about this. Upon seen the pictures my reaction was an out-loud "wow that looks stupid as hell"

not a fan of their taking away the top row of keys and replacing them with a gimmick

All the Photoshop shit they showed was totally useless for anyone that has used it for more than 20 minutes.

>there's no third party support!
>there is. it was in the product launch.
>it wasn't very good!
just admit that you were wrong, dude. it was a trivial factual error and you messed up. doubling down just makes you look like an idiot.

it's not that hard. just
>oh, i didn't know that. i guess we'll see if it catches on
that's it.

Did we watch the same thing?

Surface Dial > Touch Bar

they confirmed it displays f keys by default

Do you use PS on a regular basis and not know the shortcuts?

I think it could be interesting and I also think they're just dipping their toes to test the waters. I'm sure they plan to replace the entire keyboard with a touch interface like that. They probably really liked what Lenovo did and want to expand on that.

do you honestly believe he watched it? he just said there was no third party support. the simplest, most obvious explanation here is that he just skimmed some news article headlines and filled in the gaps with his own intuition like a run-of-the-mill retard. in this case it's just really obvious.

What keyboard shortcut allows you to jump to an arbitrary color?

that's horrifying

The color palette choice is actually interesting for digital drawing.

control+option+cmd

Typos: the keyboard

Maybe to you who and old-schoolers who like mechanical interfaces but to the touchscreen generation, it's the obvious next step and probably the only way to make actual computers matter to normies again.

+...?

Considering that ANY other laptop at this price point has a full touch quad HD display and top of the line specs, I'm just impressed they can sell this shit with a straight face.

If Apple hadn't blown their load on the meme-bar, the 2-3000$ price tag would at least have bought you kaby lake CPUs.

They have a solution for that.

MICROSOFT INNOVATION

NEXT UP: REPLACE KEYBOARD WITH TOUCH SCREEN KEYBOARD

BRILLIANT

There's also hotkeys for moving up and down the sRGB color spectrum in an increment of your choice.

You're forgetting that Apple has literally never been about providing high-end hardware, just mid-tier parts in expensive envelopes. The people who buy this shit are not savvy enough to know that they're being fucked in the wallet sideways and will buy purely based on peer pressure/desire for status.

It's a machine for children and students with parents willing to buy them whatever to make them shut up.

Yes. They saw what Lenovo did, and within 2 months worked out a full hardware implementation, software interfaces, and got 3rd parties on board to develop fully working applications with it.

I asked how you jump to an arbitrary color. This is not nearly as fast.

>left
>done years ago by numerous companies
>right
>literally never done before

They're also becoming increasingly popular in office settings because they cause less in the long run due to low maintenance and repair costs. So they basically pay more up front to save more down the line.

>I asked how you jump to an arbitrary color. This is not nearly as fast.

And what kind of work are you doing in PS where you need to quickly change to arbitrary colors, but dont really give a shit about it being a precise, or even close to what you want rgb value?

>le obvious next step
Just because it's new doesn't make it better. Do you actually have any justification as for why a non-tactile keyboard is better, or are you just posting somewhere you don't belong?

You don't think Apple has people providing info on what competitors are doing? You really think they find out at the same time as the average consumer?

>only way to make actual computers matter to normies again.

hahahahaha who the fuck cares about them

disgusting

It makes sense. Using a laptop with a touch screen means moving your hands away from the keyboard, so a context sensitive menu like this could come in handy. The function keys didn't see much use on Mac OS anyway so even if I barely use the touch bar it doesn't hamper anything. Scrubbing through movies and photos with it is a pretty nice feature desu

Looks really cool

>Do you actually have any justification as for why a non-tactile keyboard is better

With a programmable touch screen keyboard, the actual keyboard intself can change with user preferences. Bought your MBP in the U.S. and want to switch to a Russian or Chinese keyboard? No problem, just change the language settings and the keyboard you type on will be in your language. But beyond versatility, they can also tout it as being waterproof so accidental spills don't become disasters.

I'm not even shilling it, I'm just saying this looks like the direction they're going in.

>Microsoft invents the jog dial

>but but you put it on the screen and it does special stuff!
yeah, that's been done already

source?

>mfw MacRumors is literally on suicide watch over all this

it would be okay if they didn't remove the literal reason i bought a macbook pro

>magsafe

idk maybe companies who make money or something

>The only way to cause a widespread carpal tunnel epidemic

>bumps on the F and J keys when its a touchscreen

Why

Yes, but it's much slower and much less comfortable to touch type with. But most people can't type for shit despite spending 18 hours a day on a computer of some kind, so those of us who can will probably get stuck with this bullshit anyway.

How is a touch display better than this? You have to move your hands from the keyboard all the way up to the screen and in doing so get fingerprints on your display.

>But most people can't type for shit despite spending 18 hours a day on a computer of some kind

Exactly, in an office I used to work in, I noticed I was literally the only one there who touch-typed as you're supposed to. Everyone else just used their index fingers.

touch screens are literally ergonomically bad for your joints

infoworld.com/article/2618327/laptop-computers/the-hidden-danger-of-touchscreens.html

What if they made every keycap its own display, maybe even backlit e-ink.

IOS used to have it too, until ios 7.
But their design language kinda explained it, on the other hand lenovo designers are just autistic

All that the touch bar does is replace the function keys with miniscreens to do the same exact shit, but with a larger pricetag attached. Touch displays aren't necessarily fantastic, but for 2-in-1 laptops like the Yoga it can be useful if you don't have a mouse handy, since touchpads suck across the board.

Why do normies hate keys so much?

First they got rid of them on phones.
And now laptops?

I get that touchscreens are more versatile but typing on a flat surface is so unsatisfying.

This webm makes me think of Auschwitz

It all started with the iPhone. Before that, most phones had physical keyboards. Then those got sacrificed to larger screens (that get taken up by on-screen keyboards). Then people started using phones/tablets for stuff more than their laptops, so laptop makers started copying phone aesthetics and design to bring people back to them.

what do you call Auschwitz with cats

Almost all the shortcuts I use are ctrl/alt/del chords. And there are even less uses of function keys on macs. The customizability and app/context specific nature of the touch bar seems like it would get some use from me. Not necessarily a huge amount, but more than I use the function keys

zero wing

I dunno, seems like that would be more complicated and expensive on their end.

meowschwitz

Auschwhiskers

I'm sure I've heard this joke before. Was it in An American Tale?

They're slowly forcing users to get used to using a touch interface on a laptop. They will slowly replace the physical buttons with a larger and larger screen. Eventually it'll be two screens. Then it will be one. This is how they slowly push people towards the iPad pro.

i can't imagine trying to touch type on a touchscreen
has anyone here tried to do that?

On smart phones, space is a premium. Unless all you ever do is text and email, the gain in screen size far outweighs the loss of a physical keyboard.

The Yoga Book is not for "normal people" use, it's a niche device targeted at people who do creative work; and a bit of Lenovo saying "check this shit out."

If Ableton ever updates with legit touch bar functionality I will srsly consider

Someone tell me I'm insane but didn't Razer do something like this a long time ago?

It's a gimmick that should be optional in every single model.
I don't mind that Apple is trying different suff, just don't force it on me.

>On smart phones, space is a premium

That's why there are keyboard sliders

Like beating your fingers into a hard surface.

i mean, how do you keep your fingers in the right spots? there's no feedback to tell how square you're hitting the keys

Tablets were never comfortable to type on though. I could maybe see haptic feedback touchscreen keyboards that hide and show larger context dependent buttons in their steads

I wish someone would remake the Sidekick with modern phone hardware. That keyboard was satisfying to use, and given the size of phablets it wouldn't be too far outside the norm.

You stare at your fingers the entire time as there is nothing to tell you you're on the right spot.

>no filesystem
>no possible way to write/compile code
>no way to install non app store apps
the iPad Pro is more useless than a vista-era netbook

It's more like you glance back at your fingers occasionally to make sure you're in position. But what if they used extra haptic feedback on the f and j keys

huh, now that I think of it, it's kinda wicked... but not enough to make up for how shit apple is all around.

ew
ew
ew
ew
ew
e
we
wew