Tesla energy

Tesla announced new residential solar panels and a new battery storage system.
Thoughts?

tesla.com/energy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4sfwDyiPTdU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wonder how energy inefficient that house is yet still be priced in the millions

>Implying it won't explode during the inauguration

Stupid autism. Go anywhere in suburban/ rural Europe and you'll find solar panels on roofs everywhere.

This is just fancy shmancy crap

In 10 years when decent efficiency mass produced panels exist this will be pretty useful.

Tesla covers the total surface area of the roof, producing even more power.
And looks good while doing it, you may not care about design but a lot of people do.

What's wrong with the house I posted? Looks fine.

Tesla will probably cost a fuck ton of money, while normal panels are reasonably priced, you can install them yourself and can be easily replaced if they go bad.

it looks nice, but putting them flat on a roof is horribly inefficient. they should be able to track the sun for maximum efficiency. they should also be installed somewhere they can get direct sunlight throughout the day. at the top of a hill (with no trees) or a flat roof would be ideal.

you're going to spend a shitload of money on it, so you might as well do it right. unless you have more money than sense.

>What's wrong with the house I posted? Looks fine.

It look bad.
Some people didn't adopt solar energy because it looked bad, this could make them, even at a greater cost.
You still have the option to get the older panels but i doubt that the smart rich people will.

>Looks fine.
I like solar panels but, no, that doesn't look fine.

>they should be able to track the sun for maximum efficiency.
Residential panels don't do this, so nice moot point.

People have preferences, not everyone likes the way that roof looks. Personally I think it's fine.

More than that, there are a lot of neighborhoods where traditional solar panels are banned because of their ugliness. Tesla's panels circumvent that issue quite neatly.

looking forward to buying a house with a poor roof at a decent price and then covering the roof with the Tuscan barrel tiles.

K... kinda want...

I don't want to be dependent on electric companies.

Elon has gotten pretty chunky lately.

It's fucking stupid to spend that much on their panels over just regular solar panels.

You'll never recoup the cost and you're not being any more "green" than the guy that just puts regular panels on.

yeah but you look cooler

He's not forcing you. You can just buy the wall, two walls can store and manage electricity for a 3 bedroom house. You no longer need to pay out the ass during summer. You can run the AC on all day and it will still charge enough to power the AC all night. That's fucking awesome.

Such a daddy tho woof

It would goes with the Tesla so you can tell your neighbor how much of an intolerable hipstershit you are.

So I'm probably not the first to ask this but, what happens when little Bobby accidentally hits a baseball into one of the tiles? Or what if it hails?

whatever happens to a normal roof they are probably sturdy enough

they would require a lot more cleaning probably

Solar panels are impervious to hail, Elon also said its much tougher than a normal tile.

Solar panels aren't as flimsy as you think, dingus, they can take as much as a regular roof.

>I want to make installation so easy you can hire a bunch of Mexicans to put it up for you
What does he mean by this?

You can watch the announcement here:

youtu.be/4sfwDyiPTdU

cannot wait for extremely effective solar panels.

Growing your own food indoor will be huge thing for everyone trying to living off grid

"""""land of the free"""""

>energy inefficient
>house
>mfw the only reason that houses have been having horrible mould growth problems in the last few decades is because they've been made more and more airtight

Energy "inefficiency" prevents a set of issues that nobody wants in their house in the first place. Either that or putting a fucking ventilation shaft through every room to draw out the moisture with some kinda machine. Good luck justifying that to the average hipster wannabe that can't stand a bit of functionality in his designer-styled living space.

They showed a big weight being dropped on different tiles in the announcement.
It takes less damage than the others, but is more expensive to replace if needed.

elon musk is the new jobs.
design over functionality.
hope it will stay in burgerland

Except he offers design AND functionality

>Looks fine
Not really. I'm not even a guy who cares about design, but it just looks amateurish and slapped-on, unlike the Tesla roof.

But at the same time, has a point, desiring for them to move. This means a higher chance of mechanical failure, but also more electricity generated. It would be nice seeing them do that in the future, but for now this is good enough. It looks like the kind of future I imagined as a kid is about to become a reality. The ugly "slap a panel on the roof" thing like is going away.
I would definitely buy Tesla products when they enter the European market. They're gonna have a field day in Germany.
The question I have is, though..can you possibly charge a Tesla car with that? I doubt it, but what is really the amount of electricity generated?

>higher chance of mechanical failure
>a single basic as all fuck electric motor, a downgearing transmission and some proper steel gears to turn the panels
This will have roughly the same failure rate as a properly built elevator, as in, practically zero. This is utterly basic tech you can overbuild to such a degree that failures become practically impossible.

Waiting for a reasonably priced battery and I doubt this will be it. The panels convert a lot more power than I use during the day.

Are we heading to an An-cap world?

>own solar roof
>Get snow in winter
>die

solar is a joke.. we need large scale industrial energy, and nuclear is the best way to do it.