Emergency Broadcast On Streaming

You know what would be a cool feature if they don't already have it? Emergency Broadcast System streaming for widely watched channels like Netflix and Amazon Prime for example. Do they already have this capability Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Emergency_Alerts
youtube.com/watch?v=YvGlBFjxvgY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Emergency_Alerts
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_Wireless_Priority_Service
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why bother? There's already a system for broadcasting emergency alerts to every cell phone in the country.

Did not know that. Never seen one. All good for those that live with phones in their hand I guess.

But what if I went full RMS and have no cellphone.

God no

we don't need the internet to be regulated to hell like the FCC does for TV

Yes this exists and is used regularly in places with dangerous weather.

Are you american?
You realize this would only work in the US and netflix/amazon/etc provide service outside the US.

Also, if you're not a complete hermit, you would know if a nuke or hurricane is minutes away.

They mostly use it for Amber Alerts in my area

The EBS is basically useless, I don't think it's ever been used for anything that wasn't weather.

Aside from weather, what other possible use would it have?

>OH HEY IT'S YOUR PRESIDENT, UR GONNA GET NUKED IN 20 MINUTES :)
In 20 minutes, youd only cause a panic by people fruitlessly trying to drive away from the blast radius.

Yes, this and I was also thinking more localized events. Since the NSA, Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc all know our exact locations, I thought they could also show something on streaming tv to alert of fires and other events that you might oblivious too otherwise. Could offload some of the need for tax dollars to be wasted on federal systems when we all know that our federal government is already run by these corporations anyway. Just a thought. Seems it wouldn't be too much trouble to add to me.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Emergency_Alerts

Then you wouldn't even touch Netflix

>Aside from weather, what other possible use would it have?
I don't know. Like I said, it's basically useless these days. Weather events aren't really surprises anymore and tornado coverage is pretty much instantaneous from cable news stations anyway.

Or.. you know... Maybe let people who are actually prepared know to get the fuck in their bunker asap?

You won't survive the fallout, dumbshit.

Uh, why not? Perfectly doable if you don't live near somewhere important.

you're both right youtube.com/watch?v=YvGlBFjxvgY

This guy has the most punchable face.

meh, I only pay attention to the info he lays down. Which is pretty solid IMO

Why don't simy use mobile phone cell broadcasting like Japan?

>meh
Why does every reddit shitter prepend this word whenever they say say something apologetic and defensive?

*simply

I'm really not inclined to listen to anything this guy has to say.

We do. We were the first ones to do it.

hello animexpro :^)
Fine, I'll spoonfeed. He basically says that you can survive a nuclear blast but would you want to? If you hide in a bunker how long would you have to stay there? How would you sustain life with radioactive fallout all over the place fucking up your bones with a half-life of 29 years and no organic foods like meat and vegetables? canned food can only last so long

>We do
Then why this thread

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Emergency_Alerts
>2012 June
Japan is like 5 years ahead of this

>Then why this thread
I don't know nigga, it's not my thread.
That's just for the federal implementation. There were private implementations long before that.

What's the use of private implementation on the matter?

That used to send me:
"Emergency Broadcast: "
And that was it. No fucking explanation.
I assume it's a test (which I disabled in my settings). But it was kinda annoying.

I don't understand the question.

Weather and public safety events are what these systems being used for. Would private service provide alerts that are timely enough?

No less timely than the government alerts. I was being warned about weather and whatnot in the late 2000s through SMS.

SMS → Network congestion when everyone use it
No less timely → including earthquake alerts where even the area mail system would only give users several secinds react time?

I got an emergency broadcast text message a couple days ago with a description of a car and a license plate number. Probably a wanted person.

>SMS → Network congestion when everyone use it
It wasn't a problem in 2006 or 7 when this system was being used and since the carrier is controlling these messages I'm sure they were able to ensure delivery pretty well.
>including earthquake alerts where even the area mail system would only give users several secinds react time?
We don't have early warning earthquake alerts, so it doesn't really matter, but I'm sure it would have been fine.

The whole reason why WEA come up is because there are no standard implementation that can reliably do this.

There was no implementation that conformed to how the FCC wants the EAS to work, which is why they came up with WEA. It has nothing to do with whether or not the individual alert delivery systems were reliable or not, which they were.

Ugh i mean its Japanese counterpart,each carrier used to have their own implementation to override the system

I don't know anything about Japan's systems and you're fairly hard to understand, sorry.

I found some information about 'cell broadcast' technology that is apparently how this was implemented. It's part of the GSM and UMTS standards. It was also used for a variety of other message based services offered by carriers here in the 2000s.

Yes, alerts get prioritized by towers over consumer traffic. There's also a system for prioritizing government calls during emergencies.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_Wireless_Priority_Service

Do you have some sort of insight into pre-WEA cell phone emergency alert systems? Information seems scarce, but I'm pretty sure it was real and I'm not crazy.

None at all. I've lived my entire life in NYC, which seems to use the alert system fairly liberally, but I have no memory of any alerts before WEA launched. Maybe those memories faded or maybe they just weren't nearly as obnoxious/memorable.

>Cool feature
Well not really no. Your unlikely to ever see one, if you did I doubt you'd consider how interesting it is due to the impending doom coming your way