UNFIXABLE ANDROID VULNERABILITY HAS BEEN DISCOVERED

UNFIXABLE IN 99% OF DEVICES RUNNING ANDROID BECAUSE THEY NO LONGER RECEIVE UPDATES

infoq.com/news/2016/10/dirty-cow-may-affect-all-android

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CQcgz43MEZg
youtube.com/watch?v=4xdMteqm994
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Explaining Dirty Cow - Computerphile

youtube.com/watch?v=CQcgz43MEZg

It's patched already, all that needs to be done is for the carriers to push a security update.

This is really a god-send though, especially for us like me who have locked down Androids (thanks verzion)

It's really a non-issue though.

guess I'm in the 1%
i new this 128 gb pixel xl was a good purchase!

Yours shipped already?

Aw jeez, I've been on KK for two years with my Nexus 5, I'd hate to imagine just how many security exploits I'm subject to every day...

What part of

>UNFIXABLE IN 99% OF DEVICES RUNNING ANDROID BECAUSE THEY NO LONGER RECEIVE UPDATES

didn't you understand???

[citation needed]

Pajeet, delete this now!!

Actually, this won't *immeidiatly* give you root. This really just changes file permissions, and once you restart your phone it updates the .init files, back to square one.

But you could use your temporary elevated privs to change the pwd file, or install SuperSU like this guy did

youtube.com/watch?v=4xdMteqm994

superSU won't work once you restart your phone. Dirty Cow is not practical for android.

Not useful unless it can disable DM verity

in other news, everyone who doesn't run cyanogenmod is vulnerable to attacks

good thing those people don't have anything worth stealing

Android sucks

Let's people riot their devices easier.

It's useless unless you can already execute commands on machine. Discovered 15oct patched 18th.

Again, can someone post one instance of a phone being hacked or taken over by a hacker, one that isn't a demonstration or someone being a total retard with their phone, downloads, and passwords.

>there are people who aren't running CM already on Sup Forums
>fucking yourself by buying phones that are impossible to unlock and root
Why the fuck are you allowing the carriers to fuck you in the ass like that, amerinons?

You guys do realize OTA updates exist right? If you don't get regular like updates like Nexus does, you still get OTA updates from your carrier.

Dirty cow is a non issue anyway as it requires you to install free_hacked_legit_games.apk and will be long forgotten in a few weeks like stagefright was as the regular and OTA updates roll out.

Don't you need to already have user access to use dirty cow? I'm not seeing how this is going to be a problem except in exceedingly rare circumstances that are mostly caused by user stupidity. Plus I'm sure that carriers have the ability to push a security update out to users to patch this.

>OTA updates from your carrier
>updates
>from your carrier
ahahahahahaha
Jesus, you're supposed to get them ASAP from your manufacturer. What does the carrier do with the updates? Delay them by months, and add even more botnet?

WHY ARE YOU LETTING THEM SCREW YOU LIKE THIS
AREN'T YOU LIVING IN THE FUCKING LAND OF THE FREE
LOOKS LIKE THE ONLY FREEDOM BELONGS TO THE CARRIERS TO FUCK WITH YOU.

IN A PROPER COUNTRY THE MANUFACTURER HAS THE NEEDED SETTINGS AND THE REST OF THE CRAP NEEDED FOR THE PHONE TO FUNCTION IN IT
YES, THERE MAY BE A MINISCULE DELAY OF A WEEK TOPS ACROSS VARIOUS COUNTRIES, BUT PEOPLE GET THEM AS FAST AS POSSIBLE

NOT TO MENTION THAT MOST DEVICES OUT THERE GET ABOUT 3 OR 4 UPDATES AT MOST. THE MANUFACTURERS HAVE GIVEN UP ON THEM

>Delay them by months, and add even more botnet?
Source: my ass.

When stagefright was going around it only took like a month for all my family's phones to get the patch. All who are are on 3 different networks.

But keep spreading FUD, apple must be paying you handsomely.

What kind of phones? Surely they were of flagship level, or near-flagship level, right?
That's not what most people use. That guy amped up the percents a bit, but truth is, about 90% of the android will not get official fixes for this. CM/AOSP/other roms likely have patched this, already - but the huge majority of people outside tech won't fuck around with ROMs. Not to mention the bootloader-locked devices.

Know what? The people who will have this patched the quickest are the Indians. Their austerity forces them to learn how to keep their devices running good, so they won't spend money on NEW phones each year. Knowledge of rooting and ROM-installing is higher there.

But first-world people in the majority, entitled.
>Why should I do this!? Why should I fuck around with rooting (and void my warranty?) (hint: if you lived in a proper civilized country just rooting wouldn't invalidate your god damned warranty)? Can't the c-carrier just patch it for me?

Not even an applefag, just a random albanian.

>He's shilling for free

What am I fucking shilling? I'm just pointing out a flaw of Android, and I'm not the only one complaining about it, either..
I'm not telling you which OS you should use, nor recommending hardware. How am I shilling? I only mentioned that I'm not an applefag since you accused me of working for for them. I would've never mentioned Apple's name otherwise.

Good thing ElementalX just released a patch for this.

>yelling this much
Bro chill out its a fucking phone.

WOW LOOK A TROLL THREAD

It probably won't work like this on Android because of dm-verity.

>What kind of phones? Surely they were of flagship level, or near-flagship level, right?
Got the fix like month after this, on a 140€ phone. You are retarded.

WTF I hate android now.

I surmise that antivirus apps are fixing these things.

I already installed common sense 2016, my 4.4.2 Android is unaffected by this.