Why don't Americans have earth pins? Do they just get electrocuted if the device is faulty?

Why don't Americans have earth pins? Do they just get electrocuted if the device is faulty?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You mean grounding? Most things that consume a decent amount of electricity use grounded outlets.

/thread britfag

So you are fucked if you want to use a grounded plug in an ungrounded outlet?

No, there are adapters.

Ungrounded outlets are only present in shitty older homes.

this confirms that we, as europeans, are way smarter than the rest of the world

some appliances are simply safer without it, unless you like bathing with your hair dryer.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes

holy kek

If only Sup Forums could accept British plugs should've been the global standard.

schuko or bust

never seen an ungrounded outlet in my life

must be nice to never live in a home >50 years old

That literally looks like a penis, you cuck.

DUDE IT LOOKS LIKE A PENIS LMAO

FUCK SAFETY STANDARDS AND SUPERIOR DESIGN :DDDD

That looks like a cock and it's black, it's basically a black penis. Well, I don't know what else I expected from a country that has a channel literally named Big Black Cock.

DO NOT FIND EXCUSESES FOR YOU HOMOSEXUALITY, YOU FUCKING CUNT

WHATS THE PROBLEM WITH THE FUCKING STANDARD SCHUKO?

can confirm my house was built in the early 1900's and there are only ungrounded adapters. It sucks.

this

The only thing I like about them is that they've always been grounded.

>house has no grounding.
>all the sockets give the appear that they do

Why don't you just upgrade the electrics? You can wire some ethernet ports up too in the process.

Just break the ground pin off and you can use it in an ungrounded socket.

Literally the master race of sockets

Most people living in "old" houses in America are poor as fuck and can't afford to have their house rewired.

Is this European or Russian? What's the best between those similar looking ones?

Is it legal to use "grounded" sockets but just not hook up the ground?

Because replacing sockets is easy.

Probably not if you sell the house.

Thank you for showing an image of a NEMA-1 plug in a failure state. One thing that people always underestimate here is the desire for things to fail gracefully. Those pins can be easily bent back into place after being torn out of the wall. And when they are ripped free of the outlet, they absorb all the energy. So you don't put any significant stress on the outlet itself.

It's like the difference between micro USB and lightning connectors. mUSB often breaks in the device at the plug because it's often just held in with solder on a PCB. While lightning is bolted to the case and has a weaker connector. This triggers Sup Forums, but would you rather break your device or a five dollar cable?

All blue countries use it.

And I think red is fully compatible.

They have a grounding pin in the outlet, most German-style plugs have a hole for that for compatibility.

Kek. Britain always not getting cucked by inferior European standards.

>breaking outlets

This actually happens in America?
lol

I've never broken either an outlet or a plug.
It just doesn't happen in Europe because everything is made to high safety standards.

European and Asian countries also have two prong plugs for some things too...

Accessing the insides of wall in older buildings can be difficult. In newer buildings you just pull of the drywall, do the upgrade and throw on a new sheet of drywall, which is pretty inexpensive. Older homes used a variety of techniques to close up the walls. If it was made using something like lath and plaster, opening the wall is messy and expensive to return to its original state. Replacing it with modern drywall would make that part of the house mismatch the rest of the house. At that point you might as well gut all the interior walls and start over.

>german engineering
>inferior
typical britcuck

Why are you so angry?

Did you just step on a plug or something?

They also still have flat pins, which makes no sense since the time we started to be able to manufacture rounded pins just fine.

The only thing that is kinda modern is the small profile, but it's not shaped in any particularly clever way.

That said, almost every rich country has randomly introduced power at one time and then decided it was too expensive to upgrade sockets or plugs, even if much better options came up meanwhile.

>Do they just get electrocuted if the device is faulty?
Ever heard of something called "double insulation" you dumbass?

Not every electrical appliance needs to be grounded.

Also CEE7 compatible plugs (schuko and derivatives) are superior.

Britburkastanis use their plugs because they're so poor they cannot afford a proper electrical wiring in their houses with proper fusebox.

>this is amerifat wall

>Not every electrical appliance needs to be grounded.

I never understood why this is.

Can someone explain?

>early 1900s
Pics of your home please? I always wanted to see old American houses.

No wonder their buildings don't even last a century.

More like it's sitting on colonial age standards with some world war era copper preservation - tier wiring techniques thrown into the mix.

This is how a modern household power plug should look like. Slim and fairly minimalistic in material needs but still rugged with exact mechanical properties and as safe as it gets.

Something optimized for the possibilities and costs of modern manufacturing.

American wood houses I thiught were a meme.

Schuko is pretty good (that's what I have) but I wouldn't mind having the UK plugs instead, I like overkill.
The only advantage of Schuko plugs (but only the German ones) is that they are reversible.

that's what I meant, red version is perhaps stronger but not reversible

>This actually happens in America?

No. Because of what was mentioned, and that an outlet j-box will always be secured to a stud.

You don't just make everything as strong as possible because then the risk becomes tripping over the cable that won't release from the wall, and has become so massive and over-designed that it's cumbersome to use with mobile devices.

We also put fuses in our homes, instead of in each and every plug.

>They also still have flat pins

Nothing inherently wrong with that.

IMHO Italian power plugs are the best. Not huge yet not flimsy.

>apple in charge of american powergrid

Is there some reason why USB Type C couldn't become a standard for devices that use 100watts or less? You won't operate a microwave or vacuum cleaner with it but quite a good amount of household electric uses are at less than 100w.

The only purpose of grounding an electrical appliance is to provide a low-resistance safe way for electrical current to be discharged in case the insulation is damaged (so it won't electrocute you).

This was an issue in older electrical appliances such as drills which had cases made of metal alloys, if the insulation got damaged, entire case was "live".

A double-insulated device doesn't have this problem.

I prefer the Italian plug then, looks exactly the same but the grounding pin is centered so it can be plugged in both ways. Not really that relevant today though since we rarely have those box things on the plugs anymore.

I haven't seen one until I traveled to California. A pretty modern looking apartment complex was full of these ungrounded outlets. It was so weird because every residence in my area has to be brought up to code to be rentable to the next tenant.

>Nothing inherently wrong with that.

Flat pins bend much easier than round pins that contain an equal amount of metal.

And bend pins is a big issue in America.
Once they are bend they don't lock in properly.
When on holiday in America I've had plugs drop out randomly all the time, it's annoying.

We do have earth pins on most high-power devices (computers, space heaters, air conditioners, commercial equipment, etc.) Lower-power devices such as lamps, radios, electric shavers don't have them because they're not necessary for the application. The earth plugs we know first started appearing in the 1950s, with earthed outlets becoming mandatory for new construction in 1962, and GFCI's for wet locations (kitchen, bathroom, basement, etc.) being code requirement in 1975.

Also, the bent pins you show in the picture only happen on devices that are subject to frequent moving and abuse (vacuum cleaners, for example, which despite consuming thousands of watts don't have earthed plugs.)

TLDR American plugs are master race and you're faggot if you think otherwise.

>And bend pins is a big issue in America.
No, it isn't.

>Is there some reason why USB Type C couldn't become a standard for devices that use 100watts or less?
A thin stripe of metal present in a USB type C connector (any USB type to be honest) is too small to carry enough current to provide 100W of power.

I thought the main point of ground was to trip the fuse/circuit breaker whenever something went wrong?

>Is there some reason why USB Type C couldn't become a standard for devices that use 100watts or less?

Voltage drop is pretty bad on USB cables. More than a few feet and you've have issues with power delivery.

Another option that's slowly being implemented is Power over Ethernet. You can send 25W per connection and still use a few rails to communicate with the device.

> The only advantage of Schuko plugs (but only the German ones) is that they are reversible.
And you know, that they don't need to have fuses and stuff like that

> Nothing inherently wrong with that.
Ya, it is. Power transmission capability is constrained by cross-section, so you are just wasting metal. The pins are less stable than these with like 1/3 to 1/2 more metal used.

It also creates more pointless friction and wear (not an utterly huge deal, but it does).

Basically, it's just something that was chosen when manufacturing rounded pins with rounded tips was quite hard and costly, but it doesn't really make much sense today.

Because they come out the socket too easily.

the main point of ground is (surprise surprise) grounding

So you get to use the device, but with no actual grounding.

Excellent safety there.

Old american homes are beautiful. Even the newer ones are, but in a different sort of way. Yuropoor houses look ugly and are built like trash.

Ungrounded outlets have not been allowed since like the 60s. If you do any renovation you have to ground all ungrounded outlets at least in the renovated part.

Whahahaaa... you power man gg :-)

This almost never happens
Like I have never seen an ungrounded outlet in my life.

Just use a stiff rod to shove some Romex around, it shouldn't be that hard

Because DC sucks over distance. That's why AC powers your home. Hell, even cars ditched DC generators in favor of 3 phase AC alternators.

You have to replace them with ungrounded outlets or replace them with a GFCI and explicitly mark them with little stickers that say "no equipment ground"

Sure you are. That's why your women are being raped by Muslim refugees as we speak.

Can also confirm. I once had a house from the 1940s that had aluminum (!) Wiring and there was a literal second between flicking the light switch and it turning on.

The GFCI comes with a bunch of those little stickers by the way so you don't have to go out and buy them.

Technically no, but people do it all the time. I live in a 1910 home with an addition from 1960. Only the addition, kitchen, and bathrooms have proper grounding. Everything else is either knob and tube or 50s era ungrounded romex.
Nobody does that. Too much of a PITA to use adapters whenever the grounded outlets are cheaper and more readily available than the two prong shit.
The only stickers I've seen GFCI include are ones that denote regular outlets as being on a circuit.

>not using Brazilian Type N masterrace
kek

These are old lath and plaster walls which haven't been standard since the 1940s. After the Second World War we started using drywall. And our homes actually last longer than yours. In my town there are several homes from the 1840s that are still standing and occupied to this day.

> but the grounding pin is centered so it can be plugged in both ways
Even if most AC appliances don't care, that's not actually good.

Plus the Italian pin is less stable in the socket because of that linear arrangement.

>Brazil
>masterrace
more like monkeyrace

>A thin stripe of metal present in a USB type C connector (any USB type to be honest) is too small to carry enough current to provide 100W of power

It's officially rated to carry 100W and cables are supposed to handle 3 amps.

>Excellent safety there.

The adapters are designed to be held on to the outlet through the plate screw, which is connected to the junction box, which is almost always going to be grounded through it's physical connection between the home's metal conduit. If the house is old enough that won't be true, but at that point you'd need to replace everything anyway.

Their power plug is still in all likelihood better than yours.

>The adapters are designed to be held on to the outlet through the plate screw
Nobody does this, they just either plug it in like any other plug or upgrade the outlet.

Yup. Ugly housing.

For comparison here's an American house. Not typical, but an idea of how aesthetic the turn of the century construction was.

>Plus the Italian pin is less stable in the socket because of that linear arrangement.
Never felt unstable in any way. The pins are slightly bent inwards, so the plug basically "grips" the socket.

* With mandatory/commonly available Double Pole SSOs. In Asia regions that use BS1363 most of the sockets are Single Pole, and some are just plain nasty (such as MK Avant or Legrand Mallia, they warp and flex with very little force). MK and Hager don't sell their Sollysta, Logic Plus and Metalclad Plus here, but instead sells lower quality polycarbonate stuff such as Slimline Plus and System 8000, or Metalclad "G" series using Avant modules.
The only UK made Metalclad stuff on sale is the double pole switch with LED indicator and the RCD sockets, and the DP switch cost ~$20.

Are these not polarized?

Why isn't type L the standard?

I live in the Netherlands and I have a bunch of ungrounded outlets in my room that are compatible with grounded plugs.
Shit doesn't make sense, but at least the outlets are nice and flat.

Yea, because USB Type C has low durability and isn't rated for 110V.

Yeh because when your designing a socket, your first priority is to make sure it looks nice

I've designed a minimalist socket with no holes at all, fits seamlessly into your wall. You cant plug anything into it, but the design is perfect

There really is no point in grounded outlets. In the breaker box the ground is just tied to the neutral.

Why isn't this keyed in some way?

>In the breaker box the ground is just tied to the neutral.
Where the fuck do you live where this is allowed?

The ground and neutral are both for different purposes but they both have to be grounded to the same potential.

Ok Sup Forums, what's your idea for the new global standard?

'Murca

I live in Sweden, every outlet in the house except for 1 in the garage and some in the kitchen are like that. It wasn't until 1993 that all outlets had to be grounded, so pretty much only those that might be exposed to moisture are. My dad has installed a couple extra for our computers, but we'll have to remove those if we're gonna sell the house since he isn't licensed to install those.

NEMA 5-15.