twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

*shits furiously*

No drivers

>not writing your own drivers

>license plate
>driver
>did you do what I saw there?

Cuck license
>Throughout the years I have realized BSD is a good license if you don't really care about the software you wrote

Who are you quoting?
Also, I'm sorry you prefer authoritarianism over public domain.

holy shit....................................... lincucks BTFFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
youtube.com/watch?v=g2bRmp17_-0

Real UNIX and Unix and opensourced.
Do not accept any clones

>linking a video instead of an article
post discarded

>Real UNIX
>Gnome

I still need to try making a program with X Athena widgets some day.

The only SysVR4 UNIX that didn't switch to gnome was AIX, but it was rarely on a workstation so nobody gives a shit about running a server.

OpenLOOK/Openwindows was the bes widget set. Motif only won because ATT/Sun had to throw the "other guys" a bone during the COSE initiative shit.

I've unfortunately not used any Unix other than BSDs or Solaris. Too bad IBM and HP aren't keen on making them easy to find and install.
I see.

My favorite unix will probably always be Irix on my old SGI Indy.

Athena is cool but it seems to be bugged right now. Maybe it's just the Emacs implementation.

It doesn't tolerate Xdefaults color customizations very well.

Details? I'm curious.
I've tried the Xaw version of Nethack before. I'm actually better at rogue clone though.

I'd provide a screenshot, but I uninstalled that and recompiled it with no X toolkit instead.

Anyway, the Athena menus were unusable, sometimes the font would be the same color as the background.

Not even a valid license plate

Nvidia properity drivers work like charm
Just stop that novememe

meant for

They don't work on OpenBSD, retard.

That's because they don't want that blob shit, retard.

nvidia have bsd driver and greate cuda and cuda docker suport
GTFO freetard

Nvidia has a binary FreeBSD driver, yes.
Please come back when Nvidia has drivers for all Unixlike OSes.

The funny thing is it's Digital Unix which ran a mach kernel instead of an ATT kernel. Thus not Unix by Sup Forums standards.

>implying DEC didn't have multiple OSes
Ultrix, etc

Ultrix was mostly BSD, by the way.

>ultrix wasn't legacy at the time that plate was stamped. Tru64 on Alpha was being made at that time.

this basically

if BSD had a proper license it would have been an interesting competitor to GNU

A proper licence like public domain?

sure, here's a reply

>when freetards credit the GPL for the Linux kernel's success
gets me every time
few people with actual influence on the computing landscape gave a fuck about the GPL when they chose the platform

typical delusional BSD user

your OS is worthless because your license did not create the need for a proper volume of contribution

Corps used what they wanted without giving anything back for decades as they spat on the devs

The public domain is better than the BSD license, honestly. At least it has dignity

Anyone that defends the BSD license outside of academia is beyond delusional

So dooming an OS to be filled with the kitchen sink at the expense of security and reliability is a preferred outcome? I can't see anyone who believes this making it beyond their teenage years without eating lead out of shame. Linux won the battle but is losing the war.

this is the problem with BSD, and maybe it's because it has strong roots in academia

It's full of idealists that would spend 20 years talking about proper architecture without writing a single line of code

GNU/Linux is far from the perfect OS but from the perspective of being the largest collaborative open effort it has been much more successful in security and development over the years. *BSD is ofcourse better at certain niches (at the cost of features, compatibility, marketshare etc) with its closer to cathedral architecture

I believe a larger community looking over a code base has a greater chance of improving an OS than a smaller expert community looking over a tight knit project. The GPL fostered this collaborative effort by design while BSD, true to it's academia roots, functioned as a throwaway license used to publish academic work. The BSD license is nice for academia. It is a complete failure for a modern open system and *BSD as a result faded into obscurity and has only remained relevant due to the corps that leech off it and academic epeen contests.

It's very sad to see all that potential and years of research not fully utilized

>your OS is worthless because your license did not create the need for a proper volume of contribution
GNU/Linux didn't grow to its prominence on edge case bug fixes from hobbyists and git hipsters
>Corps used what they wanted without giving anything back for decades as they spat on the devs
it's funny how GPLtards regularly rip on proprietary software for being so inferior and shitty to their beloved "free" software until a licensing argument pops up and suddenly they're incredibly thirsty for those shitty pajeet contributions

it's not my job to work on your project for you

>this is the problem with BSD, and maybe it's because it has strong roots in academia
so does GNU but we don't see you whining about that
>It's full of idealists that would spend 20 years talking about proper architecture without writing a single line of code
I like how you bitch about "idealism" while whining about "proper" this and "proper" that like a teenager who read an old copy of infoworld for the first time in a RISC thread
>I believe a larger community looking over a code base has a greater chance of improving an OS than a smaller expert community looking over a tight knit project.
Red Hat and SuSE didn't gut the SysV market with a loosely bound "community", they did it with a lot of dedicated, paid developers and a perfect storm of stagnation and FUD

>it's funny how GPLtards regularly rip on proprietary software for being so inferior and shitty to their beloved "free" software until a licensing argument pops up and suddenly they're incredibly thirsty for those shitty pajeet contributions
wanna bet that this is one of those guys that laughs at openbsd for not having nvidia drivers while vehemently defending the GPL at the same time?

wouldn't be surprised, it's not like Sup Forums's linux militants are a particularly intelligent bunch

Wait Novell owns UNIX?
I guess Open SUSE is the best UNIX amirite?

enjoy circlejerking your cuck license and irrelevant OS on obscure community boards while GNU/Linux dominates in every relevant marketshare because it has a superior license that didn't let it get absorbed into proprietary shitware

I understand you're upset because no matter what goal posts you move and points you deflect with ad hominem after all the bullshit is spewed, *BSD is worth close to nothing while GNU/Linux continues to grow.

>GNU/Linux didn't grow to its prominence on edge case bug fixes from hobbyists and git hipsters
Yes, in your delusional mind it's two people working on it for 30 years like BSD. I suggest a reality check. Take some effort to understand the components a modern OS needs and how many man hours that would require. Ofcourse, you rather just circlejerk your worthless OS and label every feature you don't have as bloat.

BSD users are like people that built a secure one story brick house with no windows, exposed piping, and crude materials and for the last 30+ years are deluding themselves into believing it can even be compared to the skyscraper that GNU/Linux has become. It screams sour grapes

>cuck

it's ok, you're upset

however, there is no better word to describe the BSD license

There is years of proof to support my claim (getting cucked by Sony, Apple, etc) so it's a completely justified use of the word

Not him, but.
Fuck off back to Sup Forums.

t. another Linux user

You're so mindlessly delusional you're actually repeating yourself

It's not going to change the truth though

I'll repeat, since you're as dumb as a Sup Forumstard: I am not the same poster as .
And just for the sake of the discussion, in general I agree that the license hurt BSD more than it helped.

But now, if you want to "blah cuckoldry blah", be over-aggressive with no good reason and behave like a dumb retard, go back to Sup Forums, there you'll be at home.

>I'll repeat, since you're as dumb as a Sup Forumstard: I am not the same poster as
sure, whatever.

Not that it matters. You're grasping at straws so hard, it's hilarious. You had to slide the topic so far as to associate your trigger word with some garbage board because you have nothing valid to say. I do suggest fucking off to faggit, where there is a designated safe space for you. You haven't contributed one valid point to any conversation and instead choose to derail the thread because you can't handle the use of a completely fitting word for a cancer that has plagued open software for years

>You're grasping at straws so hard, it's hilarious.
See pic.

>with some garbage board
If you think it's a garbage board, then stop shitposting on Sup Forums like it was your garbage board.

I'll disregard your posts from now on.

Installing Nvidia drivers from ports on FreeBSD 11 right now. Working like a sharm and my set of flags is perfect. I think I'm finally trying kde5.

Is HP-UX free for personal/didactic use, isn't it?

I thought you would want the last reply to add it to your tally of internet arguments won

Also, nice reddit tier cancer meme. You have definitely contributed even more to the conversation and this board now. You would be much happier on your favorite subreddit where there are no dissenting opinions to deal with. You wouldn't even have to move goal posts and shitpost there like you were since you started replying to me. That's just friendly advice. You don't have to reply. I know that you won the argument with your non existent points regarding the topic

No.

>getting this triggered over one word, especially when it's being properly used to refer to a shit license

BSD special snowflakes are truly an amazing breed of autist.

>Also, I'm sorry you prefer authoritarianism over public domain.
Not the one you're quoting, but GPL forces you to release modified code under [pretty much] the same license to avoid someone else doing it with you. It isn't about authoritarianism, but protecting a larger freedom (to study, copy and modify code) at the expense of a smaller one, for a sustainable community. Without it, guess what, you WILL have people grabbing open code for closed-source software and returning shit nothing.

You're hopelessly stupid.
Sadly, there's a trope for this:
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DumbassHasAPoint

you can't just add a bunch of loaded words to the same point I just pulled apart and repeat it again to refute me, this isn't your shitty wintard bait generals

>muh market share
who gives a shit, go use Windows then if marketshare is what it's all about

>Yes, in your delusional mind it's two people working on it for 30 years like BSD.
bullshit exaggeration won't refute it either
if you seriously think that the core team of red hat et al. was a small operation carried by a halo of random shitters on the internet you're the seriously deluded one here

>Take some effort to understand the components a modern OS needs and how many man hours that would require.
good thing software updates don't require writing the whole thing over again from scratch and we already have 30 years of work to keep building on right? the fact that you would say something so retarded really shows how fucking dumb you are, but I mean we've already cleared that since you think that big GPL projects just magically materialize out of a masturbatory cloud of disconnected github trannies and bikeshedding undergrads with no core development team or even general direction to speak of

>Ofcourse, you rather just circlejerk your worthless OS and label every feature you don't have as bloat
ahaha cry more you whiny little bitch
jesus fuck it's incredible how hard you little shits practically cry into your keyboards when you see a threat to your perceived armchair superiority

just goes to show that the majority of GPL shills on this board are egotistical cunts in it for the e-peen and the hippie ideological bullshit, not the actual software

>It screams sour grapes
we're not the ones responding to every mention of a license we don't like with a whiny essay-length tirade about circlejerks and feelgood horse shit about corporate "leeching"

you're thinking of OpenVMS which has a hobbyist licensing program

there's a few 11i v3 torrents floating around though

>who gives a shit, go use Windows then if marketshare is what it's all about
Marketshare is still important. It attracts developers, and thus more and better code, in a feedback loop. Still not as important as freedom, though.

diarrhea intensiefies

I'm waiting for the x86 port of VMS

kek

And proprietary license forces you to choose who gets the code -- so no evil project like systemd will use it! Proprietary > GPL > BSD

>quantity = quality
that's not really great logic user, not one bit, especially since the BSDs are generally considered far more "quality" and "elegant" in comparison to more heavy GNU counterparts despite their substantially smaller community and developer base

it's stupid to compare third-party software between GNU/Linux and BSD anyway since they generally run the same shit

Except "evil" projects like systemd are just a minor inconvenience, while not being able to mess with the code is a huge restriction of freedom.

Serious, non-rhetorical question: who considers BSD code better than GNU/Linux, and by which standards?

This is why ghanoo bc is way faster than BSD one. "quality" my ass.

> despite their substantially smaller community and developer base

>despite their nonexistent testers and code reviews. Even linux have heavy shortage on this.