Are the young generations (I mean below ~10ish) going to have trouble learning computers and how they work?

Are the young generations (I mean below ~10ish) going to have trouble learning computers and how they work?

I only ask this because I learned almost everything initially from fucking around settings and trying to fix Windows 98 issues.
Kids today probably just use IPads, which are basically toys and cover just about all the abstraction. Do they even use desktops anymore?

I could be wrong. I just figured that people learn most when things don't work and someone needs to fix it.
If windows didn't cuck me so much as a kid I would be in film school.

What do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v3XR9VNcaxA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i think you're retarded.
>i learned from fucking around with windows 98
basically a toy operating system to the people that learned from punch cards
>now kids all use ipads, and that's so different!
no. you're just a retarded faggot.

They're growing up with Google. Do you think they would have trouble with Snapchat and Minecraft?
Kids today have iPhone and iPads, probably going to get a Macbook when they're older. They're normies, so who cares?

Punch cards weren't more complicated you retard.
Tedious is not the same as complicated.

>toy operating system
Yeah fuck off. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Not saying I care, was just curious if others noticed the same.
Modern hardware is great and has a ridiculous amount of redundancy at all levels just to make shit work.

Less competition in the market for me I guess.

My little brother thinks Google is the internet itself, its frankly terrifying

I don't thinks so
You don't even have to go that far
My little sister is 14 and siding even know a phone can't make/receive calls without a sim
As stated above, its truly terrifying how little they know/care about how technology work

>t. iBaby

I'm a teacher. My students are utter idiots when it comes to computers. "Digital natives" my ass. I'm really happy I rarely need to use computers with them.

"Mr. Anonymous, my computer isn't working."
"Did you turn it on?"
"Yes"
"Show me"
(The computer was off)

"Mr. Anonymous, the website isn't working"
"Did you click the link I emailed you?"
"I didn't get it"
"Show me...look, the email is right here"
"Oh"

"Mr. Anonymous, I can't log on to the computer"
"Are you typing your username correctly?
"Yes."
"That isn't your username"

I remember kids dicking around with proxies in 5th grade to play Runescape. Pinging bullshit in cmd to bypass DNS blacklists too.

Technology really spoils today, and gives no insight into how anything works.
Not a bad thing, just strange to see when so many expect the kids to be good with electronics when they are limited to downloading fremium BS from the playstore.

I wonder how they type. Wouldn't be surprised if they were blatantly weaker in typing than the ones 10-20 years older.

They're going to be dumb as the majority. We've always tried to ensure that computers are as abstracted away from the user as possible, sometimes to the extent of not even looking at it. I think there's only a very small age group sitting between ~40y/o people and young people that are smart because they grew up with all of the technology while it was still barely functional and often had poor/no abstraction in some functions of their operating systems.

They're a tech generation because they use a lot of tech. Not because they'll be good at using said tech.

>I learned almost everything initially from fucking around settings and trying to fix Windows 98 issues.
>I
You're a minority. Most of your peers have little knowledge about computers. And there will be some people in the young generations who will 'learn computers and how they work'. Maybe even easier, thanks to the internet.

This explains how so many in CS have 0 fucking clue how to program.
Grandma tells them they are so smart in computers because they setup Skype on the family computer. CS is a great idea!

I'm really not sure this is the case because technology breaks way less often now. It's not even comparable.

When shit breaks, you're likely going to have to dig into WHY it doesn't work and how to resolve the issue.
That's where the fundamentals and nuances come from in just about any technical field IMO.

Sure some will definitely take an interest, but there is nothing to learn from unless you force yourself to go online and read up/fuck around. Kids just don't give a shit with so many games literally taps away, at any second, whenever. I don't think I would be different if I had those things when I was 8 or so. I was trying to install drivers, reinstalling the O/S. Took hours but I needed to or I would have no computer. Had no idea what the fuck I was doing but learned in the grind.

this. It's really interesting.
Old people didn't use computers because they were "too hard" to use.

Young people only know cellphones and other pre-chewed garbage. We're the only ones that had to learn how things really work.
Is it a good thing? Maybe, but it certainly annoying how easy it is for these little fuckers to gain access to info.

However also note how more controlled information channels are getting.

Forums are dead, all that's left is reddit and a couple alternatives, all strictly controlled in terms of content, political aliment etc.
Even ads and marketing people finally adapted.
Now they can manipulate people through unboxing videos, reviews etc.

Even wikipedia is getting shitty (I really fucking hate reddit) thanks to corporate-funded writers, industry lobbies and just teenage/young adult morons that write what they hear on vsauce and cody's lab. I can literally tell which faggot wrote what, and they're wrong all the time.

Yeah, that's true, they "master" their little heaven above the clouds by clicking all the menus and then say they're considering a job in the CS field. Either they get holed into writing poor Java they don't understand for a low wage and get pushed out by pahjeet, or they dropout and become a hipster. The lack of general knowledge on regular GUI programs used by everyday people on the part of the older generations makes the younger ones feel like wizards.

"Yeah I know programs are coded, with computer languages!" "A compiler? Wtf lol"

Will programming ever be standardized in HS?

It fucking should, it's like schools want to avoid anything that's actually useful or relevant.

>It fucking should
why? Don't you morons understand that all these programming bullshit is just a way for the industry to get cheaper programmers?

>all these programming bullshit is just a way for the industry to get cheaper programmers
haha what

The thing is, you don't learn how computers work that way. Really, just think about what it actually is that you have learned.
How to make the software work others have created. Nothing inherent about computers.

As an example: If you grew up with Windows only and learned how to fix a lot of common errors you'd still be fucked if you were suddenly on a Linux machine and encountered the same or similar errors because your previous knowledge does not apply anymore. And on top of that, there will be completely new errors.

Often they just want to learn how to program. The first weeks are usually dedicated just for them (teaching the very basics).

There are few paths for organic learning anymore, you're right.

>Will programming ever be standardized in HS?
Hopefully not, otherwise it will be mandatory to teach Java or C# or whatever language people with deep pockets want to foist on students.

Also, look at current technology teachers. In most schools, they are idiots who can barely send an email. At the last school I taught at, the technology teacher asked for help logging in to Netflix. Do you really want those people teaching kids how to program?

I was 8, destroyed an install of 95, tore the computer apart, repaired it, and over the course of five months learned how to fix it.

Let the kids get their hands dirty or else they'll never learn to keep the Floppy 12V connector off the CPU fan header.

>Often they just want to learn how to program. The first weeks are usually dedicated just for them (teaching the very basics).
Maybe some, most literally think it's making video games and drop out when they realize it's mostly just math. Plenty fail/drop out.

Why? Everyone knows HS education is decades behind in the US, so much bullshit.
Rarely any classes about taxes, finance, or what is the last bastion of reliable professional work (programming).

I would prefer more programmers any day over the SJW cucks living off my taxes and circle jerking how it's the government's fault they are in debt and have worthless degrees. Even if it means less pay for me.

The internet will be the future of education, not even up for discussion. Code academy, MIT lectures, and kitty bullshit languages entirely dedicated for the purposes of learning. Schools will catch on when they realize it saves them money too.

Teachers will not matter very soon in teaching such things.

It's easier to learn programming than ever, and will continue the same way too.

I'd say you're probably right op. I'm 36 and I had Trs-80 when I was about 10 and you couldn't do anything on it without programming in basic. When we finally got a modern computer a few years later I ordered a sound card from computer shopper magazine and figured out to install it, how to setup dos for games to recognize it, etc.

That said, my wife called me into the bedroom to fix the tv. My 4 year old daughter said wait wait guys I know how to fix computers, give me the remote. She said we have to turn it off and on again. She asked where the on/off button was on the remote, and she fucking fixed the tv.

They are supposed to know it since they are natives but they will probably never learn it. However, not all of the are tech illiterate. It's like back in the days when we were younger, but expectations changed.

>mfw a CS Major recently asked me how to install Windows
>calls me the tech guy even though I'm not in any tech major

what the hell man

He is actually quite right. A normie with an average intelligence is more than capable of being a code monkey despite what Sup Forums tells itself.

Never standardized, but a lot of high schools in the USA do have introductory programming classes as electives.

I even remember doing some basic HTML and CSS in a 9th grade class back in the early 2000's.

>implying something like when cars were a thing everybody were excellent drivers
Most people are shit in what they do. You only car about computer literacy of these kids because you are techies. Most people won't give a shit tho.

This is the reason why my firm and a majority of other firms test people on the spot now when they hire them. We just cannot trust a degree anymore. Universities are literally pumping out CS graduates that can barely hook up a printer let alone code.

>He is actually quite right. A normie with an average intelligence is more than capable of being a code monkey despite what Sup Forums tells itself.
Capable? Maybe. Does it happen often? fuck no. Pajeet will have their job in two seconds flat or it will get automated anyways.
Most people just don't give a shit.

Sweet fucking Jesus. CS majors can't even google for basic IT help?

Because you fucking americunts can't distinguish between cs and it

My uncle is a top system administrator for a major bank. So I got pretty lucky having him teach me how to use windows

Yep. Companies are adopting acid test questions more and more because you can save so much time.
5-10 minutes is more than enough to understand if someone knows how to program. Given a competent interviewer of course.

Don't know how to use modulo? What the fuck were you doing for 4 years and $100k+ of tuition?

In America tech is still booming like crazy.

Nobody goes into CS thinking it's IT. They just don't know what the fuck else to do but know CS is where the money is.

It's easy to make 100k+ straight out of college in America if you actually know how to program, too many retards chase that thinking they can just go through the motions like their baby boomer parents.

You know our recruiters have had a lot of success just rummaging through github. Don't even care if they stepped foot in a school or not at this point.

>It's easy to make 100k+ straight out of college in America if you actually know how to program

In San Francisco maybe, but the cost of living is so high there that's like making $40k/year in the midwest.

There is this thing called the internet where you can finds all kinds of information about pretty much anything in the world between jacking it to anime tiddies. I think they'll be just fine when it comes to learning things.

No, not just SF. Any big American city.

Seattle, at least 3 cities in California, New York, Houston.
NYC is BOOMING in tech. 100k is easy to achieve if you aren't a retard. Plenty do it.

Almost everybody who works in NYC straight out of college commute from much cheaper places. It's almost unheard of to live in Manhattan or that close in the demographic.

Most companies also offer telecommuting a few days a week. Crazy money can be made here, until the fed hikes the rates at least.

you need to be 18+ to post here

Eh, Im sure there's still little autists-in-the-making that will be rooting/jailbreaking their phones, dualbooting linux, fucking around with VMs, jailkbreaking their vitas/nintendo switches, etc, etc, etc just like we were.

We were the minority. I remember most kids in school not having a fucking clue how anything worked either

They simply are not taught about computers, and they do not care about them and reject the little bit that they are taught.
My youngest brother, 13 years old, doesn't have a computer, doesn't want one, has no clue how they work or even function, and insists "youtube is better on mobile devices"

>we
>on a consumer electronics board
JUST

I was this autist, almost by the world.

Anyone remember modding original xbox for emulators and shit?
I still get nostalgic about that shit, probably at least a few times a week.

I taught my 12 year old son to install gentoo and use GNU+Linux. I have infused him with my stallmanist philosophy.

I'm a teacher too. This one kid managed to rout all of his traffic through the tor network by dicking around with the proxy settings. He also uses duckduckgo on his account.

I meant we in the grand scheme of everyone else you fucking tard. I dont know about you, but there were maybe 3 or 4 kids in my grade that I knew about that I could talk about technology stuff with. No one else cared

I was really big into the PSP homebrew scene, even made a few applications that got pretty popular (simple shit like a universal remote, ridiculously basic text editor/memo taker, voice recorder, etc). I wish I still could remember lua, its been like 10 years since I actually used it, or any programming language for that matter.

Why was I so much better with computers/technology when I was 13? wtf happened

What grade/course do you teach?

7th. Technology.

>simple shit like a universal remote, ridiculously basic text editor/memo taker,
fugg, I've probably used those senpai

Thank you comrade. Your son will be most useful to us when the revolution happens.

You're welcome. JILL STEIN

>7th
Bless your soul.

I interned as an infrastructure/av tech at a school district for a year. Middle school kids are brutal.
What is it like actually teaching them all day?

Nothing feels better than finally getting your hardware unlocked.
Reading all the tutorials, watching the modifications being pushed to the HDD with their usually shitty GUIs.

Some of the most exciting stuff I can remember from back then. It was a rush for me.
I remember I almost jizzed when I was able to FTP to my xbox and do whatever the fuck I wanted. The homebrew scene was amazing.

>(((STEIN)))

I'm pretty sure typing is the biggest problem preventing older generations from learning well, so that shouldn't be a problem for the newer ones.

>7th grade
Oh boy.

How is their typing out of curiosity. What kind of tech do you teach them? Are they hopeless?

My opinion:
20 years ago computers were for techincally inclined and if you fooled around with them, you could learn tech with them.
Now computers are for literally everyone and you don't (with average every day usage) learn a lot with them.
I think that the only thing that actually changed here is that computers were adopted as every day tools and instead of
tech person uses the computer vs non tech person doesn't use the computer
now it's
tech person uses the computer in technical way (programming etc) vs non tech person uses his or her every day tools, that just happen to be computers.
Just because someone uses a computing device doesn't at all mean they are in any way technically inclined (like it did 20 years ago)

They don't use keyboards much though, i'd wager it's almost exclusively touchscreen phone keyboards for the younger teens.

Qwerty came from the typewriter and is literally typing. Old people had their chances.
People who type fast on the keyboard usually get 90% of their progress as teens/young adults while the brain plasticity still remains.

It can be summed up with this:
one day 3 kids came to school with colanders on there heads claiming they were "pasatfarians" I eventually got them to take it off after about an hour. One of them was a kid named Julia who has been held back twice and when I told her to take it off gave me the middle finger.

Most of them are hunt and peckers but some are OK. We use chrome books so I cant even really teach them anything good.

I dunno, I remember at like age 5 or 6 my dad was able to teach me how to get games running on our dos computer. And even my grandma who today has difficulty opening her email was working on DOS computers at her office. Every day usage was never hard, and all you had to do was remember 1 or 2 things specific to the task you wanted to do. You didnt need to know what was going on at all.

Thats actually pretty funny

>implying you can touch the source of an iBrick
>implying you can code on an iBrick
>implying you can download third party software on an iBrick

It's very different.

Everything can be done with a few taps. DOS will literally scare most people because you need to KNOW what to do. That's the big difference.

Smartphones/tablets baby the user like crazy. It's like a sand-boxed playground to tap onto angry birds

Well ya, shit is easier now, but Im just saying with dos you really didnt need to know what to do or what you were doing, you could get by just being told what to do on a few sticky notes with instructions stuck to your monitor. You're right though, no one would deal with that shit nowadays and it would fail miserably if for whatever reason it was introduced today.

RuneScape did it for me.

oh god, I distinctly remember having to type bare minimum 125wpm to keep up with fally world 1 chat

>no option to paste
>how will niggas know about my 150gp coal or 25k rune scimmys
>how the fuck is he typing that fast
>jesus christ his text has different colours/effects

Pretty sure most of my typing speed (and bad habits like not using pinkies) came from trying to sell shit in that one Fally world like 10 years ago.

Resident millennial here. Can confirm kids these days are mostly retarded with technology. Other than the select few, maybe .2%, who are relatively intelligent even care enough to google their problems. I even wrote a paper on the fact that since information is so god damn accessable now (Google, stack overflow, forums, etc), it has just made the majority so fucking lazy they won't even look. Back before all of this, people had to scour the internet, or worse, the manual. Now they are generally driven enough to type into Google.

Fucking millennials man.

>you could get by just being told what to do on a few sticky notes with instructions stuck to your monitor.
Still more difficult than finding a nice icon on the screen clearly labeled with what you were searching for.

how old are they? they can't be this retarded.

I remember using shitdown /i to turn of kids computers in the library in 6th grade though, and pull shit like making a folder labeled 'boobs', screenshotting the desktop, deleting said folder and making the screenshot the background. some nogs got mad when it didn't open kek

>insert disc
>???
>windows

I could do this when I was 12, and I could have done it sooner if I actually needed to install windows

>he doesn't browse small, 20 year old internet forums
come on m8

Considering they are buying more of the internet infrastructure and installing more of their own it isn't wrong to say they are a big part of the internet. That doesn't even include the software infrastructure that, while probably isn't necessary to vital functioning of the internet (things like ads and analytics etc) is still a big part of the ecosystem.

But obviously that is not what your brother meant.

Not only that but it's way fucking easier now.

You guys remember even the Windows XP install screen? MAYBE I can understand that causing some issues or anxiety, but what that user mentioned is something else. CS is becoming such a joke.

Where I work, half of the young people have a hard time with the register because it is not touch or point and click. You have to actually press keys on the keyboard to do anything and they can't figure it out even though the screen tells you everything you need to know. Pic related if the "difficult" POS system.

It's too depressing and slow.
Pretty much defeats the purpose of pretending that pretend socialisation is good enough.

>Are the young generations (I mean below ~10ish) going to have trouble learning computers and how they work?
Oh God, you have it totally backwards!

Computer (companies) will be in *huge* trouble if they don't figure how the young generations work.

They'll just go out of business and nobody will care.

>1970
>Are kids going to be unable to learn computers in the future? These days you don't even solder your own TTL circuits.

>1980
>Are kids going to be unable to learn computers in the future? These days you don't even write your own BIOS

>1990
>Are kids going to be unable to learn computers in the future? These days you don't even write your own OS

>2000
>Are kids going to be unable to learn computers in the future? These days you don't even install your own OS

>2010
>Are kids going to be unable to learn computers in the future? These days you don't even configure your own OS

Correct. None of us know how computers work to any appreciable degree when it comes down to it.

If you think you do, build a computer from nand gates and post a reply on it.

>If you think you do, build a computer from nand gates and post a reply on it.
Vacuum tubes or GTFO.

That's not the problem.
The real problem is the younger generation just don't have money, they are fucked.

When companies get so massive, it gets very difficult to ever put them down. They have the money banked up to diversify and find what works. Look at IBM, Xerox.

Companies will linger like they always have, it's survival of the fittest.
If tech ever becomes unprofitable or not worthy of investment, you can be sure the rest of the economy is absolutely fucked up much worse.

>Correct. None of us know how computers work to any appreciable degree when it comes down to it.
This is implied, no one thinks otherwise.

The point is that many people who learned about computers didn't do it necessarily by choice, but because they HAD to or it just didn't work.

No one is claiming that older generations are superior or any of that bullshit, it's just that children today are babied into playground smartphones and don't learn anything about computers unless they take the time to look it up, which becomes even more unlikely because their freemium angry birds clones games are only a tap away.

The average CS majors over the years tells the entire story, even when considering the median it's blatant.
This is all expected though, of course technology will cover up more and more of the iceberg. It's just damaging to them when they enroll into CS because they downloaded whatsapp onto their mom's phone and were told they would be great fit for it. They will get crushed and choke in debt, no end in sight to that.

>he doesn't personally shuttle his electrons around their circuits

>He doesn't telepathically beam code into his cpu.

well shit.

It will be like how """our""" generation is familiar with the electronics on motherboards or with low level machine instructions à la Wozniak.

This is exactly how i feel, pretty much the younger generations who aren't grandfathered directly into companies like that, especially the ones who live in poorer communities or who's college education isn't paid for are going to have to work with way less to fight against automation, non-existant jobs, and an infrastructure that needs development. The only real thing they have to go on is all the advertising and instant gratification that just shelter what kind of reality were actually living in. Fucked.

youtube.com/watch?v=v3XR9VNcaxA

It's going to get worse unfortunately.
A recession is definitely coming, the second the Fed does what they need to do it's all coming down.

They kept money cheap for an unprecedented amount of time, we're going to get fucked big time in the next ~2 years.
Impossible to avoid. Either a horrible recession or even worse inflation, no winning.

Save up you fucking retards.

I'm getting this picture oil painted for my wall

I have a 13 year old student who doesn't know how to properly login and shut down her laptop.

what happened to that 14 year old prodigy programmer?

shilling for hilldog and Apple

What was that kid's name again?

holy shit I thought you were joking

Santiago "Dream In Code" Gonzalez

I would set the background to the warning unauthorized website on every computer so they wouldn't know when it was real. We also set up a twenty man unreal tournament LAN.

What a fucking spic. I hope his Job gets replaced by an AI an he starves to death in the fucking streets.

Also
>Shilling for microsoft and Apple at the same time.
This beaner can't even shill properly.

I'm surprised you are actually conveying genuine hatred for some high-schooler who got the spotlight for a week.

Get a fucking beer man.