/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

first for fedora

lel! got 'em arch kiddies hehe
*boots up his systemd ridden sjwbian machine*

STOP CREATING THREADS WITH INFLAMMATORY IMAGES

This picture is unrealistic; Arch users don't get laid and therefore wouldn't reproduce.

>886 ▶
> (You)
ugggh don't trigger my autism please this will end badly for all of us i like creating

Is an Intel HD 530 gpu enough to run KDE 5 on a 4k monitor and play 4k movies? I'm thinking of building a new mini-stx (stx not itx) rig for my 4k monitor so I have a separate linux machine.

What file manager does Sup Forums approve?

but they are the type to sneak into hospitals and put those on at least 4 babies before being kicked out.

Memes aside, why does one hate systemd?
I'm not profiient in Linux and it "just works" for me, so I don't know a shit.

no file manager

Dolphin is good if your running KDE, thunar if your running another de/wm.

zsh

>what is rape?
idk you should know better since your mommy experienced it and 6 months later you appeared
lol

Ich möchte nur einmal kurz etwas einwerfen. Was Sie als Linux bezeichnen ist in Wahrheit GNU/Linux, oder wie ich es vor kurzem zu bezeichen begonnen habe, GNU plus Linux. Linux an sich ist kein Betriebssystem, sondern eine weitere freie Komponente eines voll Funktionsfähigen GNU Systems, welches durch die GNU corelibs, shell utilities und andere wichtige System Komponente nützlich gemacht wird und ein Betriebssystem ist, wie es durch das POSIX definiert ist.

Viele Computer Nutzer benutzen eine modifizierte Version des GNU Systems jeden Tag ohne es zu bemerken. Durch eine eigenartige Wendung wird die Version von GNU, die heute weit verbreitet ist, oft Linux genannt und viele der Nutzer sind sich nicht bewusst, dass es eigentlich das GNU System ist, welches von dem GNU Projekt entwickelt wurde.

Es existiert wirklich ein Linux, und diese Leute benutzen es, jedoch handelt es sich dabei nur um einen Teil ihres Systems. Linux ist ein Kernel: das Programm im System welches die durch die Maschine bereitgestellten Ressourcen an andere laufende Programme verteilt. Der Kernel ist ein essentieller Teil eines Betriebssystems, aber ohne den Rest des Systems nutzlos; er kann nur in Zusammenarbeit mit dem Rest des Systems funktionieren. Linux wird für gewöhnlich in Kombination mit dem GNU Betriebssystem verwendet: Das ganze System ist eigentlich GNU mit dem Linux Kernel, oder GNU/Linux. Alle so genannten Linux Distributionen sind in Wahrheit Distributionen von GNU/Linux!

mc

paranoia
ones that hate red hat
people that repeat what some troll said once

Dies.

High probability of an NSA backdoor. Pic related.

>not using based Swiss German
Pssch... don't talk to me unless you're on at least the high functioning end of the spectrum kiddo

am I having deja-vu from the last thread?

PEOPLE WHO USE DISTROS OTHER THAN ME ARE *LOSERS*
HAHA THEY'RE VIRGINS
THEY'RE NEETS NEETS ARE LIKE INSECTS HAHAHAHA

IM AWESOME IM NORMAL IM COOL
I'VE HAD SEX BEFORE
LOOK AT HOW /WELL ADJUSTED/ AND /SSSOOOCCIAAAALLL/ I AM IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU IM BETTER THAN YOU

"just works" needs to die

Are you being retarded on purpose?

sorry it doesn't work for you ;_;

works for me

are you samefagging?
also it comes naturally

Please? Anyone?

Who do you think you're responding to?

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

Which distro is that in the 5th panel, the one that looks like some old model of the atom?

Windows.

bunsenlabs

That's literally not even a valid response to what I posted.

LFS

>bohr's model
It's KDE NEON

You said distro, not linux distro. Windows is a distrobution of the NT kernel.

kthx

Windows isn't lightweight

Epic

>no snowflake
;_;

literally the dumbest post

Whatever distro you want+XFCE, or LXDE if you're okay with the shitty menu or care to replace the panel with xfce's
Xubuntu, debian testing, arch, fedora, whatever.
If 'user friendly' has to mean for fearful retards rather than people with even baseline comptetence at interacting with the world around them, I guess xubuntu in particular.

Oh well
Is it possible to de-systemd system, if it came with it? I'm lazy to break everything I already set up.
I have a separate /home partition though.

Windows 8 and 10 are pretty lightweight if you dont overload the OS with freeware shit.

not really user friendly, but i think thats why you posted right?
Why even say some dumb shit like that?

It just isn't, try running windows 10 in older hardware

Freebsd is literally the best. Don't use it though I don't want your kind attempting to shit it up. You can stay with the Linux plebs

poster that post itt

>the debian poster that is always making long numbered blog posts with the same image
>that arch user that likes to harass the debian poster with the dependency image
>frog and anime poster(s)
>the "what i'm using" poster
>the "works for me" friend
>the "hey Sup Forums, what is the .... the ... distro " pepe.jpeg poster
>what should I put on my ... poster
>"you fell for the meme" meme poster
>that trip poster
>that fedora poster that triggers the debian poster
>install gentoo posters
>go back to rebbit poster
>the one that >>>posts

add more if any are missing.

Enjoy your mitm attacks retard

i almost fucking chocked while laughing at this post

Can I install linux on a android tablet so it works like computer?

Yes.

you summed it up, now go somewhere else

Not a chance. This is the real world, not some fantasy game.

It's not that hard to remove systemd from arch or debian because they are quite modular. However there are many other packages that will pull in systemd or have systemd code. The only way to escape systemd on linux is to install gentoo and set the use flag "-systemd" and blacklist systemd and udev. (Dont set the -udev flag tho because then programs wont be able to use gentoo's udev replacemnt called eudev)

You missed
>Debshitter calls Arch a meme
>Archnigger calls his mum a meme
>Debshitter claims the kernel modules are enabled
>Archnigger BTFOs him telling how to enable specific kernel modules

>that cunty poster

yeah i mean you could at least save your /home partition, it would probably suck to set up but i'm sure you could install a different init system, or roll that part back to a version that didn't and update everything. If its open source you can do it.

>blacklist systemd and udev
How is this different from setting useflags?

>white aussie trash words
oh man I got btfo

- the kde shilling antergos user
- the debibabby guy
- the faggot who cens*rs himself
- the *hacking* roleplay guy
-

need a tissue for the tears?

We are the simply the best posters on this entire website

>integrated graphics
>4K

It will, but not well.

If you are so clueless about linux that you don't know which distro to start with, or are to lazy to lookup shit, you're going to have a hard time with linux. It's better to send these autists back to the Microschwitz camp.

>hacked
fucking reddit

>mfw I fall into more than one of these categories

I don't give a damn what that reddit piece of trash said. Do you get me?

If means that even if a package requires systemd or udev, it wont pull it it. While useflags only control what parts of the induvidual programs you want to compile.

Do you need more straws?

How do I blacklist a package? Are you talking about masking?

ranger if you like terminal programs, it also has image previews

SHHH, everyone listen to the hurt of the butt heheheheehe

#
#
#

It so beautiful. Normally we would hate each other, but since we don't know who is who, all bad things 404 and we can help persons we would normally kick their teeth IRL.

I mean, far be it for me to call you an idiot who can't avoid even the simplest of traps. But you know.

You wouldn't kick anyones teeth irl mate who the fuck are you trying to fool?

hello plebbit

>I was pretending to be a retard
Clockwork

Yes, masking I meant. You have to add a file in the /etc/portage/package.mask folder with the name of the package category/ package name.

I've prepared a ruse of sorts. One I imagine you'll quite like.

>tfw chronic systemd shill
>tfw Arch/KDE shill
>tfw qBittorrent shill
>tfw antiBSD shill
>tfw "ur mum is a meme" guy
Lads how deep can I go?

Are AMD cards good with linux compatibility? I'm thinking of getting a compact 200 series card. When I used my 980ti with nouveau, KDE 5 was horribly bugged and I couldn't find any fix besides and unanswered nouveau bug report.

jesus fglt threads have just become a bunch of 12 year olds slap fighting eachother.

install gentoo

What if that is openSUSE?

Yeah, he still thinks it's 1974.

I like KDE but hate arch.

>arch/kde
>kde shilling antergos user
I think I'm both of these but I've never once said 'KDE is the best desktop, install KDE', just brought up that I use it when such is relevant.

From what I understand, yeah they are. I'm not an expect on the subject of which AMD card to get though.

OpenSUSE is also heavily systemd dependent like Fedora and is impossible to remove systemd from.>

KDE is the best desktop, let me make a thread real quick

One of the golden /fglt/ rules:
- Post mentions systemd? Ignore and hide.

Does anyone else get bugged menus in KDE 5 with the nouveau driver on a maxwell card?

hey guys can you do me a favor? I'm going to sleep now so could you please wait 8-10 hours and not post anything?

where can I get the full rules list?

But I was just answering someone's question on whether systemd is removable from OpenSUSE. And it's an undeniable fact that both of those distro's are heavily systemd dependent.

The second rule is: There are no other rules

oh fug, I think the easiest route will be to switch to Devuan/Slackware...
sometime.