By far the best all-round laptop display available, even its predecessor is still unbeaten

>By far the best all-round laptop display available, even its predecessor is still unbeaten
>Powering two 5K displays at 60Hz as well as its own 2880x1800 display
>Pheripherals which require wall connections like monitors can charge the MBP with the single connection
>Daisy-chaining up to 6 devices on each 40gbps USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port
>Doing this with a Skylake chip and low tier AMD GPU
>Weighs 4 pounds with that godly all-aluminium build quality
>External fucking GPUs
>Ability to be charged from a battery bank when you're on the go so you don't have to look for a wall outlet
>Charge to any USB port
>Plethora of adapters make this machine be any specialized machine you wish as USB-C can do everything
>Slightly gimmicky Touch Bar which may grow to be very useful
>Touch ID for real system-wide security for all sorts of things and 3rd party utilization soon
>Also runs glorious MacOS for a perfect marriage of hardware and software and long term support

This machine is a fucking marvel. At last I truly see, Apple's dongle idea really works for the best. Many laptops get shipped with ports that not everybody has a use for, not everybody has a use for SD slots, VGA etc. With the MacBook Pro, you get 4 ports which you can turn into anything you wish, at any time. I could connect to 4 displays or 4 RAID arrays. I could have 4 fucking Ethernet connections if I wanted. I can mix and match whatever I want, daisy-chaining here and direct connecting there. There's no limit to the configuration possibilities.

For all this, its hard not to love it.

Other urls found in this thread:

daringfireball.net/linked/2016/10/28/panzarino-touch-bar
wired.com/2016/10/macbook-pro-touch-id-secure-enclave/
youtube.com/watch?v=pYUdAWOGJ_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=6o9pISLdBgI
ultrabookreview.com/10761-razer-core-review/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Apple fucked up

This is the beginning of the end. About time too

>using an underpowered overpriced apple craptop for real work

oh right this is Sup Forums nevermind
continue...

work gives most of us laptops, and we build our own desktops. The laptop threads are overwhelmingly from uni students, who rarely have 3k laptop budgets.

Can you imagine a "it just werks" devotee buying this for FCPX (its fucked) or mac-specific render software (nearly extinct)? I was considering it until I saw the cost versus how little had changed.

Nothing about this product is unique except for its shortcomings and high price

the beginning was when Steve died

everything without him has been either updated internals (can't fuck that up) or flawed and underwhelming new releases

it's over

That's an excellent response to that long ass post user. Truly BTFO with cold hard facts.

Who cares.

It's just a fucking laptop.

I repeat: it's just a damned laptop.

You surf the internet and watch a stupid video on it. Maybe type a paper or show a picture to grandma.

You're don't need to as much on it as the cost a frickin' used car.

Buy a $150 whatever-book off of ebay and be done with it and get on with your life.

Fucking really? Is this all you people have? I can smell the bitterness and defeat in your posts. This is the retina MBP announcement all over again. Come on, oh witty and technically literate Sup Forums, tell me all the bad points about what OP listed and why everything is wrong and silly.

Yes, you can drive video, but tell me Johnny, how is that timeline workflow going for you, not to mention the render time? You will be heat throttled like every macbook iteration since 2013.

The eGPU of your choosing. Did you even read the post? Are you that fucking dense? Its right there in the OP, maybe you can't see the full post on your 1024x768 eBayPad.

>you can plug 2 5k monitors
WHO
THE
FUCK
CARES

You still need a fucking dongle for basic crap like reading a SD card.

>b-but user, it is 2880x1800 the panel is beautiful
SERIOUSLY YOU PIECE OF SHIT
WHO
CARES

It will throttle to hell and back and why would you need that to change your shit facebook status anyway?

The new macbook makes no sense.

reading OP's post really illustrates what has happened to Apple, they are a living Sup Forums meme, they are marketing to themselves as they are the out of touch hipsters who got through college and got a job and now they are making Apple their own. Im really going to watch heads roll in the next couple of weeks as these marketing shills walk out the building holding card board boxes with their shit in in and have to get real jobs

How is it better than the xps 15 display?

It's not.
XPS targets professional standards like sRGB and aRGB. P3 is purely consumerist and is a TV industry standard.

>WHO CARES IF IT CAN DO ALL THOSE THINGS
>WAAAH
>FUCKING MACFAGS

Feed me more of your delicious tears for the screencap and future looking back.

> implying Sup Forums is not full of NEETs

holy shit i heard they mad the trackpad bigger but that just looks fucking ridiculous

Falseflagging samefag detected. Fuck off iPajeet.

>2 5k monitors @ 60hz

Who cares if the output is 60hz if the device itself cannot pump out 60 fps to each of them?

too bad it macOS is shit and on linux macbooks just emit cryptic dmesg errors, random loadavg spikes and sometimes broadcom-wl decides to not work at all and just give some SCAN_ERR bullshit in dmesg.

fuck macbooks. fucking stupidest shit I bought.
macOS is literally garbage.

buy an XPS Dev Edition instead.

this is Sup Forums
get used to half assed mediocre threads like the one you just made.

most of OP talks about Thunderbolt 3 capabilities which have nothing to do with the late 2016 macbook pro per se and could be found in other laptops before.

Are you having a stroke or something? Why the fuck are you complaining about irrelevant Loonix shit on a MacBook? Is that the only issue you can find? A bubblggum-held clusterfuck OS doesn't work well on 1 hardware SKU? You think that's Apple's fault. You dumb child.

>XPS targets professional standards like sRGB and aRGB. P3 is purely consumerist and is a TV industry standard.
P3 is a superset of sRGB an macOS is the only OS that is color-managed, so sRGB looks correct and Apple calibrates their displays to almost perfect

besides price the rest is overreaction. Apple's vision is a convergence within their own ecosystem.
People will pay for something that is well designed and not something that checks off a tech sheet.

>You think that's Apple's fault. You dumb child.

ya, it is.

it's more the fault of broadcom's wifi and since broadcom exited the wifi business not sure if future Macs will still have that problem.

i actually like the macbook pro 2016.
i don't see how it is that bad except that it is overpriced, but that is pretty much it

>ya

Who the fuck types like that? This is an 18+ board, take your gaymur snacks and waddle back to Sup Forums you clueless retard, why even post? Its clear you have zero technical knowledge.

>3.5mm jack
Old, obsolete, and cowardly. No thanks!

>>Powering two 5K displays at 60Hz as well as its own 2880x1800 display
I can't imagine very well. You're not gonna be doing high-quality 3D at these resolutions
>>Pheripherals which require wall connections like monitors can charge the MBP with the single connection
Neat, but I have to imagine this means buying a totally new monitor to do this.
>>Daisy-chaining up to 6 devices on each 40gbps USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port
Except this means you need all-new devices, and these all-new devices have to support daisy-chaining, themselves. There weren't a large amount of Daisy-Chainnable Thunderbolt items to begin with. Just displays and some high-end eHDDs. Which will now no-longer work on this device
>>Doing this with a Skylake chip and low tier AMD GPU
and?
>>Weighs 4 pounds with that godly all-aluminium build quality
Aluminum is still retarded in laptops. There's a reason most other manufacturers don't do it, still.
>>External fucking GPUs
Why buy one with an non-integrated GPU inside if you're going to attach it to an external GPU? And more importantly, other laptops do this anyway.
>>Ability to be charged from a battery bank when you're on the go so you don't have to look for a wall outlet
Nope. Minimum wattage requirements. And laptop specific battery packs existed before this, for Macs and PCs
>>Charge to any USB port
Neat, but I don't understand why this is important.
>>Plethora of adapters make this machine be any specialized machine you wish as USB-C can do everything
So...I have to buy adapters to make it work with things I already own? That's fucking retarded.
>>Slightly gimmicky Touch Bar which may grow to be very useful
Even you admit it's gimmicky
>>Touch ID for real system-wide security for all sorts of things and 3rd party utilization soon
Fingerprint for F2A has existed in PCs for over a decade, welcome to our world finally
>>Also runs glorious MacOS for a perfect marriage of hardware and software and long term support
>long term support
yeah sure

>Aluminum is still retarded in laptops. There's a reason most other manufacturers don't do it, still.
which is?

lolwut?

>gaymen
>loonix

not sure where you're coming up with these implications.

maybe your reading comprehension is just shit I guess.

Also, given that most Kernels have to include kekworthy code to fix garbage that's inherent in hardware and firmware (EEs are pretty shit at actually making things), I would say it is Apple's fault for perpetuating these shitware manufacturers.

Just for giggles I checked the Apple's product releases since Steve died and you're not kidding. The sole none-iterative product release Apple has done since then was the Apple Watch. And while maybe not a total flop it has been pretty underwhelmingly successful.

Apple has cash to burn but with the current course it could easily sink within 5-10 years.

meanwhile in the real world, Apple doubled its profit since Job's death.

Apple has enough money to infinitely reinvest, just like any other large company.

that money isn't in the USA. they'd rather create new debt in the US instead of paying taxes.
that makes their balance sheet very lopsided and some major cash flow disruption could mean real trouble.

Conducts heat, meaning the whole chassis is a heat-sink. Which also means heat spreads to parts that are not meant to take higher heat loads. Also means that active cooling has to work harder to cool areas that are over areas that don't produce as much heat. Additionally, this also means that external heat sources, such as human laps, the sun, animals, other equipment, and the general room temperature can more greatly effect the thermal performance of the device.
Non-shock absorbing, meaning it transfers shock instead of absorbing it. High-grade equipment cases are made of Fiber-reinforced plastics for a reason. It absorbs shock and protects the contents, which are usually several magnitudes more expensive than the case they're in.
Reactivity after the coating wears away. Aluminium alloys stand a higher chance of reacting negatively to other chemicals and elements versus a non-reactive fiber-reinforced plastic compound. electricity, solvents, acids, salts, and more come into contact with laptops daily.
Expensive for no realistic benefit beyond aesthetics. The cost of a milled body versus other options means less money is spent in other places. Naturally, I'd assume Apple gets a massive discount due to volume versus someone like HP or Dell who might only do it for 1-2 lines, but it'd be hard to argue that long-term, milled bodies don't cost more than some other solutions.

Pic Related, the best overall solution for protecting components was used in many Thinkpads. A fiber-reinforced shell around a magnesium roll cage for stability. It's used in professional cameras (film and photography), automobiles (fiber-reinforced body panels and aluminium unibodies for structure), and even Airplanes now (Boeing switched to composite materials for the 787's skin while keeping the structure underneath aluminum)

You do realize macbooks are CONSUMER devices correct?

>You do realize macbooks are CONSUMER devices correct?
Correct.
Macbooks, The New Macbook, and the Macbook Air are consumer devices. So they're all fine to have aluminum unibodies for whatever reason Apple feels is necessary.

But the Macbook -Pro- is a -Professional- device. It's literally in the name.
It has no business having an aluminum unibody construction.

Eh. In an office environment there's really no need. Toughbooks and Thinkpads have the ruggedized function over form segment pretty well covered

Polycarbonate is lighter, stronger, and more durable.

Apple uses aluminum because the manufacturing is cheaper.

>But the Macbook -Pro- is a -Professional- device. It's literally in the name.

Any device that's limited to 16GB of RAM isn't a professional device in 2016. You can't do even trivial professional video or photoshop/illustrator work with only 16GB of RAM. Even doing serious C++ programming work is pushing it.

All the artist desktops at work have 128GB or 256GB of RAM.

Don't forget the trashcan Mac Pro.

In an office environment, there is no need to have a laptop. A high-performance desktop would cost less for the same performance, and the money saved can put into a non-high-performance laptop for mobility usage and remote access.

There are other professions beyond creative or programming where 16gbs is far more than necessary. But I don't disagree that it's far from what most professionals who would get a mac, would actually want in a device, spec wise. It's very underwhelming compared to a high-performance desktop, or other mobile workstations.

>mobile workstations
Nothing about the new Macbook Pro is workstation class. Low resolution, low powered dual core, and a low powered AMD card.

"High grade equipment" uses magnesium alloy for the inside and outside. Aluminum conducting heat can be a desirable trait if the manufacturer is looking to limit the amount of copper used, the size of the heatsink, or amount/size of fans.

They don't use magnesium alloys on anything that makes contact with skin in electronics because a lot of people are allergic to it.

The point where brand loyalty is just too cancerous to watch.

Do these people ever sleep?

O fug better tell Panasonic, Getac, and Dell that.

There's no way you didn't get paid by apple to write all of that

Sage

>mfw even the most loyal macfags are finally jumping ship after this announcement

You've done it, Tim

You know it's over when John Gruber abandons ship.

>Conducts heat, meaning the whole chassis is a heat-sink.
desired
>Non-shock absorbing, meaning it transfers shock instead of absorbing it. High-grade equipment cases are made of Fiber-reinforced plastics for a reason.
ignoring size constraint
>Reactivity after the coating wears away.
not an issue
>Expensive for no realistic benefit beyond aesthetics.
bull, thinness is desired
>Naturally, I'd assume Apple gets a massive discount due to volume versus someone like HP or Dell who might only do it for 1-2 lines, but it'd be hard to argue that long-term, milled bodies don't cost more than some other solutions.
Apple is the world's largest owner of CNC milling machines and swiss style lathes. Rumors are that the number is around 40,000 with about half dedicated to iPhone production.
This started well over a decade ago with the MacBook Air's unibody and has been relentlessly improved, deep partnerships cultivated, and new CNC machining techniques created to achieve the position Apple is in today.

>tfw bumps on fingers because I handled something with magnesium unknowingly.

At least with panasonics, most of the magnesium is coated in a protective layer.

but he likes it?
daringfireball.net/linked/2016/10/28/panzarino-touch-bar

This is the biggest problem about it.
Maybe they'll realise their mistake and make the Touch Bar optional in every model next year, but still include Touch ID.

> drawing latency on the Studio is OK, but not as good as on an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil

What a shill. The iPad Pro has terrible drawing latency and terrible pressure sensitivity and has been panned by artists because of it. The Studio is much, much better in those regards.

Touch ID and fingerprint readers are less secure than decent password.

citation needed.

>By far the best all-round laptop display available, even its predecessor is still unbeaten
Wrong, thats razer blade with more resolution and more color accuracy

>Powering two 5K displays at 60Hz as well as its own 2880x1800 display
xps13/15 can do this or any laptop with a docking station

>Pheripherals which require wall connections like monitors can charge the MBP with the single connection
again, xps13/15 did this already or any laptop with thunderbolt 3

>Daisy-chaining up to 6 devices on each 40gbps USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port
not an apple feature, thunderbolt exists on xps13/15 and some asus models

>Doing this with a Skylake chip and low tier AMD GPU
outdated hardware is a con

>Weighs 4 pounds with that godly all-aluminium build quality
there are lighter all aluminium laptops

>External fucking GPUs
not apple feature, see thunderbolt 3

>Ability to be charged from a battery bank when you're on the go so you don't have to look for a wall outlet

>Charge to any USB port

>Plethora of adapters make this machine be any specialized machine you wish as USB-C can do everything

there are laptops with whole touch screens instead of just a touch bar

>Touch ID for real system-wide security for all sorts of things and 3rd party utilization soon
fingerprint scanners on laptops is nothing new and is not a security feature, its a convinience feature

>Also runs glorious MacOS for a perfect marriage of hardware and software and long term support
macos is a terrible os and has no long term support

You don't need to use it.
On iPhones you can chose to use Touch ID, password or no password.

>desired
YES, PLEASE APPLE-SAN, BURN MY CROTCH

Holy shit now THAT is some pro-level shilling right there.

maybe against LEO and physical access, otherwise no.
wired.com/2016/10/macbook-pro-touch-id-secure-enclave/

>>Powering two 5K displays at 60Hz as well as its own 2880x1800 display
that's true, a $500 shitbook can't do that

cheapfags. when will they learn?

I am against the MBP because going for an HP Omen or some other, lesser spec-ed laptop over the new MBP is just more cost efficient. And I'm sure you could argue that the MBP has better build quality, but I could deal with lesser build quality for better specs with my money

I just don't see a need for that. If you need it, ok. But why don't you just build a cheaper PC at that point. It'll perform better and cost a hell of a lot less than 2000$

If you want to minimize size, make a laptop sealed, or maximize usage of internal space, you would want to dump heat to the exterior, which has a large amount of surface area, and a large amount of mass. A good example of this is the Toughbook CF-30, which has no fans, and two tiny heatpipes leading to the bottom case. Because of this, the heatsink is tiny.

You usually don't use Toughbooks at home on your stomach or on your crotch.

youtube.com/watch?v=pYUdAWOGJ_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=6o9pISLdBgI
99% everything you said is possible because of Thunderbolt 3, not Apple exclusive feature. High Performance Laptops with docking station setups to performance desktop-like tasks have exists for fucking years. If you going to setup something like, buying Desktop is just a better option.

None of the other shit your talking about are worth debunking. You can find laptops with better displays, lighter, thinner, or better performance elsewhere.

I do.
I also occasionally use an aluminum Powerbook G4 on my crotch with no problem, and that's a toaster on the level of a GTX-480.

retina macbook doesn't even need any heatpipes

I weep for your testies, user.

It's not bad at all.

dont buy the 13 inch model if you like fast transfer speeds:

yea but it throttles

That's the pro.
The Macbook is the one with the Core M, which is allegedly worse than a C2D.

Here's my (blog) entry, feed me (you)'s:

I really like the new 13" Pro, it's definitely the most coherent laptop I've ever seen. However, I'd need to try out the keyboard before buying it. My current laptop is a Carbon X1, which has an amazing keyboard for its form factor, so I don't know how I'll adjust to the near travel-less butterfly switchs. Regardless, I'm sick of Windows 10, OSX is a much better operating system for light productivity work (which is all I do on my current laptop). Furthermore, I can see some good application for the OLED touch bar in After Effects (setting quick macros etc.), and touch ID seems quick and useful, hopefully it'll one day work with things like PayPal. IMO, the 15" looks like an under-engineered up-scaled 13"; the spacing between the keyboard and the screen looks odd, and the trackpad looks a bit too big, idk. I guess aside from the keyboard, my only gripe is that a decent spec 13": 256gb, 16gb ram, i7, costs $3499 AUD. So I'll wait until 3rd party Chinese retailers sell it for less.

Side note:
- 16:10 on an laptop is fucking perfect for side-by-side word documents and web browsing.
- 500nits sounds fucking awesome.
- The already top-teir speakers are now twice as loud, with more dynamic range.
- 14.9mm is fucking sex.

what kind of insane SSD do they have inside that could sustain 80Gbps?

dumb cunt, this wasn't me. You can't even recognize samefags.
Enjoy your overpriced shit, while you are at it why don't you also buy a surface and the fucking knob to use it as a butt plug?

Is eGPU support through Thunderbolt 3 confirmed?
Because if it is, I'll go for the 13" instead and get pic related to go with it.

Any non hipster who buys or even considers this is full mongoloid. You want thin, high performance? Razer blade. Same cost, actually Kaby Lake, 1080, 99wh battery, plenty of useless meme features.

>Is eGPU support through Thunderbolt 3 confirmed?
Thunderbold 3 is just PCIe (and more), so all you need is a driver.

kek. You mean it's plugs can be plugged in? Fucking features.

OS X is still the most polished OS, though. Sorry in advance with everyone who was about to agree with me

So that means all that's left is waiting for drivers for eGPUs on the new MBP, yeah?
Is that gonna be the Nvidia/AMD's job or is Apple gonna force everyone to wait for them to make the drivers?

Apple said
>MacBook Pro includes a solid-state drive that’s even faster than the previous generation, with sequential read speeds up to 3.1GB/s.
3.1GB/s = 24.8 Gbps, so there's no scenario where you need 80 Gbps.
so just follow Apple's advice
>Always plug higher-performance devices into the left-hand ports on MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) for maximum data throughput.

also don't forget to blame Intel for having such a shitty mobile platform that's the actual culprit. how about some more PCIe lanes the next time?

>glossy display
>best
Choose one.

>So that means all that's left is waiting for drivers for eGPUs on the new MBP, yeah?
there might be some other roadblocks:
ultrabookreview.com/10761-razer-core-review/
>Is that gonna be the Nvidia/AMD's job or is Apple gonna force everyone to wait for them to make the drivers?
all of them. wouldn't hold my breath for macOS support and even official bootcamp sounds questionable.

90% of laptops on the market use proprietary plugs that don't have simple adapters to USB. in those cases you can buy a portable battery that has a regular power plug on it, but those tend to be heavier and bulkier than the straight up USB batteries.

although i don't know of any USB battery packs that can do 85W output, so charging will be unbearably slow until someone makes it.

>although i don't know of any USB battery packs that can do 85W output, so charging will be unbearably slow until someone makes it.
in the past apple's charger were severly oversized and usually only pulled 10-19W from a 85W charger.
don't think Apple is a fan of fast-charging and if you aren't utilizing your laptop to the fullest it will draw far less anyway.

When it costs almost 4 grand it better be the fucking best.

बहुत मेहेंगा हे
खरीदने के लिए किडनी बेचनी पड़ेगी, थोड़ा सस्ता कर दो

>adapters everywhere
It's donglegate all over again

and now imagine, how incredible this machine could have been, if apple put some high end hardware in it!

everything but gpu is highend.
why do gamers care so much about Apple? it's not like macOS has many games.

yeah, because they now target the consumer audience with their iDevices. this MBP and the surface studio are the final nails in the coffin to drive away the professionals.