/pcbg/- PC Building General

Comfy Saturday Night Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Significantly outdated "Good" and "Very Good" tiers
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NKzxf7
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Tv38TW/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-sc-gaming-acx-30-video-card-08g-p4-6173-kr
pcpartpicker.com/list/W3Frcc
pcpartpicker.com/user/oponce5/saved/#view=FTLD3C
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD4DP0316
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Dcj98K
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JqHrcc
ssd.userbenchmark.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/6hJDzM
pcpartpicker.com/list/WrRTr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/6hHZ2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/N3PdFd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Posted this in the previous thread, looking for some feedback.

Purpose: High-intensity gayming
Budget: £2000 (~$2400)

My current design is
>Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
>Noctua NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
>MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
>Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
>Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
>Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
>MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card
>Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case
>Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
>Acer XG270HU 27.0" 144Hz Monitor

Some questions I have:
Is this cooler I've chosen sufficient? The CPU comes overclocked out of the box running at 4.0GHz and I fully intend to OC it more.
Are there any compatibility issues with the MOBO I've picked? I've checked for chipset compatibility and such but I'm more concerned about space limits with the cooler and RAM
It was suggested in the previous thread I get a 3000Mhz RAM model to go with the Z170 MOBO, which I have done, but would it be better if I go higher?
The CM case I'm going for has some great reviews, but is there anyway I can compare the effective airflow with other cases as that's what I'm mainly concerned about?

Some advice I've received previously:
Forget about 4K, it's not worth it at this point in time.
Don't bother with a hybrid drive (which I was looking at) and get an individual SSD/HDD.

Anything you guys can help me with or comments you have on my design choice would be really appreciated.

>pic related, the CM case

Anyone help me out here with this?
I'm about to just see if I can get parts for an entirely new PC now.

I don't know if it's just me but your original "question" seems a little confusing. Could you rephrase it?

So I have been very interested in building a gaymen PC but now my biggest concern is the economic investment.

Is it better if I buy a mid range machine and upgrade it every couple of years?
If I don't care about graphics how many years before a top of the line GPU can't run the lastest games at the lowest settings?

From 2 threads back via replies.

What power supply are you going to get?

anyone know of a good budget monitor for an australian
is there a logicalincrements for moinitors?

Many years. The 390 is still going strong at 1080p, and that's a rebranded 290 which is also a rebrand.

Depends on how much use you're hoping to get out of it and what kind of games you want to run. A mid-range rig will get you by on most games running at low-mid settings but that's all you'll really get. If you're intending to run the newest games on the highest settings then you'll need to start off with a high-range rig and you'll only "need" to upgrade every 3-4 years.

Good question, I'm not sure, still need to see if I'm going to make any changes and work out the wattage I'll be using. Any suggestions?

650 watts is more than enough, 550 is probably fine too
Modular cables makes things much much easier
You need 80+, 80+ bronze is fine and past that doesn't make a huge difference

If possible, see if the main capacitors come from China or Japan. Japan capacitors strong, folded over 1000 times.

Fascinating

I rarely play graphically intensive games but every once in a while something that is intense shows up, my gtx 550 ti has trouble running Mighty Number Nine at 1080p in minimum settings so I'm playing it at 720p with minimum settings and still it has lots of framedrops. I know Unreal engine 4 is very demanding and I imagine games will keep getting demanding like that

So the question now is if i should make smalls investments each 4-5 years or one big investment each 9 years.
That is something my money will answer.

Any brands I should stay away from?

I would go for the small investments every 4-5 years, it's difficult to plan anything 9 years ahead, you never know, you might go off gaymen or get a console (God forbid)

It's hard to tell because barely anybody makes their own PSUs, and they rebrand different quality PSUs within a line, here's a good site with relative comparison and actual PSU model manufacturers tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
I got a Seasonic X something, 650w 80+ gold modular for $80 after the $20 off sale, you don't need to find the best of the best, just get something that isn't total crap and you'll be fine

I'm leaning towards that too, I imagine the worst case cenario is some new tech that render the old gpus or similar useless.

Thanks everyone.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Is a Corsair CS650M a good enough PSU for a i5-6600K and a GTX 1070?

Depends on everything else you have, power isn't just used by your CPU and GPU. Just add up the wattage of everything and add atleast 100 to it and get that as a minimum for a PSU.

What do you think of Corsair as a PSU brand?

I'm no expert but apparently PSU brands don't matter all that much, as long as they're not some Chinese knock-off shit. Corsair isn't a bad brand so I imagine a PSU from them would be decent enough. Others might have a different opinion though.

Help me decide my boot drive

850 evo 500GB - $200 CAD
Adata SP550 480GB - $145 CAD
OCZ Trion 150 480GB - $156 CAD

Is the Samsung worth it for the speed? The benchmark site says it is always the best value for the money.

My current PC: au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NKzxf7

I bought that 2 (almost 3) years ago. Thinking it's time to upgrade.

I plan to upgrade everything eventually but first up just looking at the GPU.

Was thinking about the GTX 1070
>au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Tv38TW/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-sc-gaming-acx-30-video-card-08g-p4-6173-kr

The 1080 seems like double the price for not much increase in speed.

I'm looking at the Enthoo Pro M. Seems pretty good, and don't really need more than one disk drive slot.

Still, wonder if there's some similar/better options?

Fuck it.
Building a high end gaming PC and leaving my old one for my parents.

Thanks Sup Forums

1070 is a good purchase. Not sure what else you need to know.

I use the trion 150 to store my vidya, I got the 480 for 100 on Amazon and it was the cheapest ssd there was. Performs well enough for me I guess, no problems. My only complaint is there is no cloning software that came with it.

>first PC is officially a year old today

Is this what your child's first birthday is like?

is there a Sup Forums guide to after you have finished building your pc of essential software/teaks or tips in general to make things run smoother/easier?

No idea, but i usually-
>Migrate Security Software
>Install CCleaner
>Install MalwareBytes
>Install Minitool Partition Wizard
>Install STEAM.

Speaking of which, going to clean out with CCleaner and bitdefender now.

If all I'm going to use is one video card, would a micro atx be better?

Is there any major differences in performances between micro atx and standard atx or is there more to it than that?

Is there *not* any, I mean. Sorry.

Get a pre-built, you have no clue.

rate my facebook machine
but also seriously, I have a 7 year old computer that i've been marginally upgrading here and there but she's on her last legs of relevance. BARELY eeking out 40 fps on Civ VI

>i5 2400 [Never o.c'd]
>EVO212
>GAYdeon 7970 (bought used in a parking lot of a best buy for 100 bucks and a blowjob)
>Antek 750w semi modular (bought on ebay used)
>16 gb DDR3 Ram @ 2400
>8 tb's 4 internal main and 4 as extra space

I'm wondering if I should keep updating this thing with the 1150 going out, or just make it a designated plex server and start a new build from scratch

>GAYdeon 7970 (bought used in a parking lot of a best buy for 100 bucks and a blowjob)

Are you a girl? [spoiler]or a qt twink?[/spoiler]

>If you're intending to run the newest games on the highest settings then you'll need to start off with a high-range rig

absolutely false, that changed exactly this year

hardware outran the games, low-midrange now comfortably pushes AAA games at 1080p/60

the high end is now for 1440p/144, triple monitor, 4K, VR and other memes like that

>ebay psu

WEW

I need to pick out parts for a custom loop. I already have picked some but would like advice on where to look. Might like someone elses blocks better or something.

Is there a forum somewhere where this is regularly discussed popular res's and stuff?

Want to do a hard line custom loop. What websites are worth looking at for parts?

Should I just get everything from EK or is there more to look at?

EK offers good kits with everything you need already included.

pcpartpicker.com/list/W3Frcc
its for gaming obviously
my budget is very large, thinking about also getting a 4k monitor

waiting until cyber monday

rate build quality

Micro atx isn't better for anything, you use it because you either need a mobo that can fit into small case or you want to cut cost.
I have a micro atx that only has 3 pcie slots (one 16x and two 1x). my graphic card uses up 2 slots (it overlap 1 of the 1x), so when I install a pci-to-usb-3.0 card, the damn thing is like 2cm away from one of the gpu's fan and blocks the air flow. Needless to say, gpu temp became worse but I can't let go of the usb 3.0 either since I have an external hdd and a flash drive that supports 3.0.
Performance wise, they shouldn't be worse than atx variant but there isn't much expandability either.

1070 or fury x, given that they're the same price?
Or should I wait even longer?

Allright i am buying parts for my computer from amazon, should i buy them on black friday or cyber monday?

I can get a 1TB mushkin SSD or a 4TB WD brown HDD for the same price. Alternatively, I can get a 3TB refurb HGST HDD for 1/3rd the price. If I had infinite capacity, my active usage would probably be around 2TB (rest being used for what amounts to archival even though I'll probably never go back to that data). I've been doing fine with 500GB so far but the drive is getting old and I'd rather change now than wake up unable to boot one day. A bit tight on space but I can manage.
I don't shut down my computer, I only ever hibernate, and I rarely do hibernate anyway.
I play vidya from time to time, but it's not like there's been anything worth playing in the past 8 years.
Other than that, I program various shit and browse the web, that's all.

Get a 500GB SSD and don't buy windows and get a 6700k instead

nice trips

thought i7 was a meme around these parts

i agree though, i think i will do that, can always add another ssd if i want, but upgrading cpu is a little more annoying

i7 is a massive meme and anyone who recommends one is a paid shill or a massive redditard.

Setting up a budget build for my sister. Thoughts?

pcpartpicker.com/user/oponce5/saved/#view=FTLD3C

A few notes:
1. She does not want a different case. She loves that one. Cannot be changed.
2. She doesn't have a ton of games yet so I am going to get her another hard drive later on (reducing cost where I can). So a 120 SSD is fine for now.
3. She loves mods and heavy textures so the 480 8gb is great. Plus we use free sync monitors

How is the new 1050?

>save on storage
>a single 120 ssd is fine

no. just no, 1tb platter drives are reasonably fast anyway

I have some questions:

What benefits does a better cooler add?
Is water cooling better than air cooling?
What makes one air cooler better than another?
What's the difference between those meme brown block fans I see and those 29.99 famous ones with the copper pipes and shit?
Don't these things get heavy enough to sag off the motherboard when hanging off it for years?

I'm building my first build and I want to pick a good cooler, I'll spend up to 120 gbp on the cooler alone, if need be.

I watched a few videos on it and here's what I know so far, so please correct me if I'm fucking up here lads:

Airflow is important, so intake fans on the front, fans on the back expel/top expel. A good setup is two on the front, one or two at the back, top is useful but negligible.

More heat = Components age faster, however, components fluctuating between very cold states to very hot states in small windows of time causes the most damage, so stable temperatures are more important.

Am I understanding this right? Can anyone give me tips. I like to look after my hardware.

I've been maintaining my old build for like 8 years now, not a single hardware fault so far, but never actually built my own from scratch.

I still feel like I know jack shit though and I'm just winging it.

Hard to get good general advice, you know the kind of shit you'd get from a clued up tech buddy at a pub, where he just tells you good random shit that he knows, gimme some of that lads.

I was fine with a 120 SSD when I first got my budget build.

You don't need 1 TB immediately if you only have 2-3 games that you're playing. Most people agree it is enough for the entry level gamer. When storage fills up or is tight, i'll get her a 1 tb HDD

i7 is only a meme for gay men.
What if my processing needs are bigger than my graphic needs? An Iris Pro is more than I will ever need.

Should I be buying on cyber monday or black friday?

I've read that cyber monday has a percentage less in sales than black friday does based on studies, wikipedia also said something similar.

Am I making a mistake by not waiting for kaby/new GPU technologies next year?

Don't fall for the meme days.

Seriously.

Buy during spot sales. Cyber monday/black friday may sometimes even make you pay less.

Check pcpartpicker for trend sales during the last 4 years of black friday/cyber monday and you'll see not much changes.

CPU's are immune. GPU's are a hit or miss. It's just not worth it.

You'll save more money buying during timed sales so have pcpartpicker email you about price changes and make sure to check google on the exact parts you want to find other vendors not listed for maximum savings

>Asus Mobo
>AIO
>2400 MHz ram
>1 TB SSD
>WD HDD
>MSI GPU
>Full Tower case
>750 watt PSU
Start over.

>>>/retardHQ/

Appletards not allowed on this site. Kommit Your Suicide.

Best option right new is to buy the best price perf graphics card. That's 470/480/1060. You'll be able to play games with decent settings and framerate until the next consoles come out (3+ years), and they're all VR ready if you ever decided to get into that.

You're a fucking moron. 290 wasn't anything close to a rebrand

>So the question now is if i should make smalls investments each 4-5 years or one big investment each 9 years.
Small investments every few years. You could get away with the 1050Ti but I wouldn't advise it considering it's underpowered even compared to the PS4Pro

Check reviews. Depends on cache size. I know the Trion 150 is a good drive, might be able to get the ADATA and save a few bucks

Definitely don't upgrade the CPU/platform yet. You should probably wait 1 to 2 more years and see what the market looks like.

Graphics card definitely needs an upgrade. Could get the 1070, but the 470/480/1060 are great for 1080p 60Hz. If you get a 1070 consider upgrading your monitor as well

Full of pain and roanriness? Probably not
[soft i'm so roanry in the background]

Yeah just get the microatx case

>BARELY eeking out 40 fps on Civ VI
That game is NOT optimized for 60FPS. It's a 30FPS game. Pic related.

Could probably stand to upgrade that 7970 at this point though.

Honest could get a decent gaming laptop now days that actually preform hella good.
Get what you can afford to drop the money on to better make your PC last forever. Solid components will always mean you can just transfer them to a new build or add to them.

I wanted to know guys whats a good ssd now days? I have a samsung EVO ive been filling up and am looking to add more storage once again.

Depends on graphics card and monitor you have now. Personally I'd say wait

240GB ADATA SSD as your boot drive and for programs, 4TB HGST for storage newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD4DP0316

Seriously, get a 240GB SSD. My 120GB is cramped. 240GB is literally $20 more. 120GB is a shitty price/GB

It's a 2GB moba card. The 1050Ti has 4GB and won't be garbage nearly as quickly

>What benefits does a better cooler add?
Can stay at boost clocks easily and Intel's unlocked CPUs don't come with stock coolers

>Is water cooling better than air cooling?
Not really, IMO watercooling is for ITX cases

>What makes one air cooler better than another?
Heatpipes, radiator size, fan size/CFM of air, fan bearing (noise, longevity). Ease of installation

>What's the difference between those meme brown block fans I see and those 29.99 famous ones with the copper pipes and shit?
Hyper Evo 212 was really hard to install on my AM3+ board

>Don't these things get heavy enough to sag off the motherboard when hanging off it for years?
They really aren't that heavy, but you could consider a horizontally oriented mobo, like in my bench case

>Get what you can afford to drop the money on to better make your PC last forever.
>forever
No. Mid range hardware is best because it lasts for a long time and by the time it is outdated you want the new features of new hardware anyway (power consumption, extra threads, freesync/gsync, HDR, high Hz, etc). The exception is if you really need power NOW, like you're doing a lot of encoding or trying for 4K.

You have to know what to buy to make it last for a long time. You can't expect the i5 6600K to be the new i5 2500K. At this point an i7 will probably last a long effin time, but at the moment it's overkill and there will be better stuff on the market within a year or two. Probably the most futureproof CPU will be the CannonLake i7.

As long as you buy at least a 480GB SSD, it doesn't matter which one you buy

Current graphics card is nothing because my gtx 570 died.
480's are 75% of the price of a fury X, and 1060's are 90%.

>5400 rpm
lmao

Yah I get what you mean but I have gotten into the habbit on not cheeping out on certain things. I would still recommend a good mother board and processor cause can always upgrade and bring them over to new builds if they have decent support. Also this gens i5 is pretty damn bullet proof unless you need power for rendering or multitasking, which the i7 is worth the price then. Also is mushkin ssds any good I have only used their ram which was still pretty damn good. Also this is my main rig im working with btw.

Fury X is a 4K card because of the bus width etc, so if you're at 1080p I wouldn't get that, especially because that's a 300W card, which turns your PC into a space heater. Fury X only competes with 980Ti/1070 at high res, not 1080p.

It's a storage drive m8

I think I'm just going to get the 250gb samsung as my boot drive. No reason to "future proof" with anything bigger for more money when its going to be cheaper in the future anyways.

this is what im going with for now. Already have the i5 and the 212 evo on the way.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Dcj98K

My fucking sides
>the gpu literally doesn't even fit in the case
How retarded are you exactly? Do you need an aide to post on Sup Forums on your behalf?

My target resolution is 2k, the 1070 is better than the fury x in this case?

user 212 evo is a meme tier cooler. You really need to get something else.

The card does fit you moron. You can even fit an MSI 970 GTX in there. Just look at the fucking pics of other peoples builds on partpicker before you call shit. I highly suggest you fire your aide and get a new one.

my 1070 runs 2k pretty damn good on even the more taxing games.

I'm building this ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JqHrcc

It's prettymuch a portable htpc for my grandpa, i'm considering buyingan aftermarket cpu cooler if temps are on the high side after i build it

My only concern is the integrated psu, I don't have the money to buy a psu right now and I'm afraid it will damage the components , any opinions on this ?
Recommendations on the build are welcome

I'm hoping it will be able to last a good 7 -10 years

Fuck off tripfag, nobody asked you.

I'd say mobo, PSU, case, and RAM are the important things not to cheap out on. CPUs are graphics cards need to be replaced every few years. If you buy a 470/480/1060 now you'll have good performance until the next consoles arrive, and by then it will definitely be time to think about upgrading both card and monitor.

If you buy a CPU now, IMO the best buy is an i3 6100 (or possibly i5 6500) with a Z170 mobo. You'll be able to upgrade to a cheap, unlocked i7 later.

Not sure why people want that drive. A 480GB from Crucial or OCZ is the same price for almost equal perf

ssd.userbenchmark.com/
Choose Large capacity and sort by vale

>2k
Never call it that again. It's called 1440p or QHD (Quad HD, recall that HD is 720p. 1440p is to 720p what 3840p is to 1080p).

Personally I'd say 1070, because of the extra RAM and the power consumption. But if you haven't upgraded your monitor yet, just buy something that fits your current monitor and sell it when you upgrade. There are some great cards coming from AMD and NVIDIA with Vega and Volta, so why lock yourself in now if you don't even have monitor?

pcpartpicker.com/list/6hJDzM

Solid setup guys?
new gamin' PC I'm workin' on, was hoping to get around 1k, but this is close enough.

Christmas is great, right?

>2k

OK faggot, I'll enjoy your tears when you finally figure out that 10.5'' is, in fact, longer than 6.7''.

>1440p is to 720p what 3840p is to 1080p
Fck, meant 2160p to 1080p

Looks good, you won't need an aftermarket cooler. Not sure about PSU, but likely fine.

Depends on how old he is, but likely it'll last the rest of his life.

>Can fit an ASUS 1070GTX STRIX in there
>Faggot can't seem to comprehend how a compact 1060 EVGA card fits
Just how stupid are you?

Neat opinion man.
Yah im waiting on a good deal for an i7 since the 6600k is pretty decent but could use the extra power.
>muh its 1440p
My bad my other monitor is 2560 x 1080 making it 2k right? and the other is the 1440p one.

>gaming laptop
Yeah, I fell for that meme last time. Don't get me wrong, gaymen laptops aren't bad, they're great if you move around a lot like I do but the hardware wears out quicker, I've had mine for 2 years now and it needs replacing, and because of the size it has to be it costs atleast 30% more than a desktop equivalent.

No such thing as 2K, if 4K is 3840 x 2160p, 2K would be 1920 x 1080p.

2560 x 1080 is 21:9 "ultrawide". It's like a cut down 2560 x 1440p or a stretched out 1080p.

Yah but apparently with the new desktop gpus shoved in them and temps being somewhat decent has to be doing better. Desktops are always going to be better for upgrade ability and performance but laptops are getting better.
Okay makes sense just weird with the classifications so never really knew what they called some of the resolutions since 4k.

So you're dyslexic on top of being retarded? Nice.

I agree, but you could make the same argument about a console. I'll keep my laptop until it dies because it's useful for moving around a lot with work but my main rig will be my DT.

opinions?

Home server/NAS/VM Host/Media Server

pcpartpicker.com/list/WrRTr7

Yah but consoles are not PC's : ^ ) The new gen gpus are really making them better is all I am saying. Now just gotta wait till batteries get better. Desktops are always gunna be the work horses.

Unraid OS, 1 parity drive, 3 storage, ssd used for cachine. Unraid runs off memory stick and loads OS into RAM btw.

R8 build

pcpartpicker.com/list/6hHZ2R

Case cannot be changed. Not my choice.

besides the meme case, it looks alright for a lower end budget build

when ordering sign up for an account on jet.com, use TRIPLE15 for the most expensive part of your build, enjoy $35 (max) off

pcpartpicker.com/list/N3PdFd
Rate my build please.

Is there a reason not to use an SSD as the only drive? Do they have shorter lifetimes?

Yes, and if you leave them off for a long time they lose data. Price per GB is too high

>i3
I think it's worth it to extend your budget 60 bucks to go for an i5

Is it a promotion thing or will that sign up deal end soon?

Looks good

11/10 makes me wet