Alright, you know the drill:

Last thread: If you can't be bothered to:
>search it
>lurk moar
>git gud

Then this thread is for you!
Post your simple/stupid questions here, ONCE
You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Please redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.

Protip: If you can't tell if your question deserves it's own thread, its very likely it doesn't. Post it here, we'll let you know.

Halloween is approaching, wat do?

Other urls found in this thread:

open.nyaatorrents.info:6544/announce
cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html
cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6500U-vs-Intel-7200U
dankpads.com/
happyponyland.net/bondwell.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anyone else having trouble cockmail on k9?

Does Bruno Mars is gay?

Should i upgrade from gtx 970 to a gtx 1080?

Currently im playing every game in 1600x900 to get 100fps and above.

i got a 1080p 144hz and would like to play games maxed out in 1080p still retaining over 100fps.

>60fps is enough
literally unplayable for ME.

How can I tell if my ram is running at the right speed

I had a thought after watching a kidnapping film last night, the riskiest part seems to be collecting the ransom.

>police will no doubt be observing
>serial notes
>invisible dye

Now how would the police deal with it if the kidnapper demanded 500BTC? Could the police possibly track that?

quick question, is this new batch windows update safe without any gwx shit?
Thanks you

No get a 1070

And the reasoning for it?

1080 is overkill for 1080p

If I disregard Metro UI and Apps, what are Win 8.1 main flaws or Win 7 advantages to make me pick latter over the former?

I use Linux most of the time, need Windows only for some software for Uni and to play few games ~twice a week. Got Win 7 and 8.1 pro editions from Microsoft Imagine, figured I can swap to legal copies, on the fence for which one to go for.

and cheaper too

>saying that to a guy that thinks 60fps is unplayable.

well look at the speed its running at, then look at the speed its supposed to run at

how do you guys memorize or know when to use variables, scripts and etc... in coding.
Im a hobbyist and im trying to learn Java and JavaScript mainly. Trying to create something that i need but i dont know how to tackle most problems that cause with me not knowing when and how to use those certain commands.

i bought some new RAM and it says 'Duel-Channel Unknown' @1072mhz

why is this

Do wifi extenders work or are they a meme? My combination of a Teclast X98 Plus II and brutalist concrete walls is making tablet use in my bedroom a misery.

Why would it say something different?

Sure they work, but as always you get what you pay for.

Well, I'm a dumb fuck and I missed the MPV general. What's the new equivalent to #vo=opengl-hq:scale=ewa_lanczossharp:cscale=ewa_lanczossoft
?

A media player that doesn't require autism to use

vo=opengl
profile=opengl-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossoft

I have a 500 gig HDD with Linux I just cloned to an SDD for my main laptop

I was thinking about installing Windows 7 on the old HDD so I could play certain games. Would booting that HDD from the optical drive in the caddy thing hinder performance?

*SSD obv

It shouldn't unless the laptop uses a slower SATA interface for the optical bay.

are the "sharpening" graphic options like the ones in Rust and War Thunder a form of cel-shading ?

Thanks.

it shouldn't, even if the laptop's odd bay was sata1 it'll still be more than fast enough to cover a standard 2.5" hdd

Is there a point in having a big phone/tablet storage if I can expand it with a SDcard? Can I install android apps on SDcards?

Yes and yes.

Access to phone storage is not as quick as access to microSD card storage.

Is node actually used by companies other than small start ups?

How do I test my locale settings?
For instance, I can see if LC_TIME is what I want by looking at the date command output.
What commands can I use to quickly verify the other variables and see what they do?

why are some Sup Forums boards updating for me but some arent

this ones fine but a couple of others are stuck at 01:58am

I'm looking at a C library to support some LED chains with arduino.

In the header, there's a function declared with no parameters -
void Refresh(void);

But in the definition, it's
void HCWS2812::Refresh(byte RGBBuffer[][], byte length)
{
//Stuff using those parameters
}

Is this a thing you can do? Declare a function with no parameters and then define it to have parameters?

Even more perplexing, when the function is called in the example code for the library's use, Refresh is called with no given parameters. Just Object.Refresh();. The parameters it wants exist locally, but aren't passed in the call - why can the function use them? Aren't they out of scope?

Why is this "preferred"

both of these is bad practice.
don't mix markup and code/logic

Hey Sup Forums, which is the best brand for $400-$500 laptops? And what pitfalls etc should I look for? I am researching but got no clue where to start, any advice you can give in laptop purchace?

>drupal core
>bad practices
pick one

pls respond

Which is the fastest WM for everday use?
Should i go with LXDE? Or are there better alternatives?

If they haven't been "washed" they may track them.

For the longest time, I haven't been able to torrent anything from a site, but other people are saying they have no trouble with it. If a tracker from a torrent is not connecting, are there any settings I need to change in order for it to connect? Any port forwarding or such? I don't think it is a problem with my ISP since I can torrent files from other sites just fine.

This is the tracker in question on qbittorrent. It says "not working" and it is listed in the error category under trackers.
open.nyaatorrents.info:6544/announce

OMG, THANK YOU TO THE user WHO GAVE ME A REPLY, I NEVER GOT ONE ON THIS TOPIC BEFORE

i'm just sorry i never noticed until now and wasn't able to thank you until here, now, when the thread 404'd

And yeah your tablet rec looks hella dope imo for me, but around that price range I thought you could by or almost buy the best of the best. I have my eyes on an LG one that seems unbelievably good for the market today, and it's in a lower price bracket. Probably gonna pull the trigger on that. But thank you so much again for the reply, m8. Cheers.

I'm building an ambilight system, and I need an optimized means to get an average colour for an area of the screen.

Currently I'm using the windows libraries to take a screenshot, convert to bitmap, and sample the pixels I want directly. This takes a lot of effort, however, holding 20% cpu even on my big machine, even sampling only a small percentage of pixels.
Is there a smarter way to do this?
Is there a way to see which pieces of code take the longest to execute inside Visual studio Express?

k9 itself is cuck, but no alternative

can't be gay if you're 4ft high. any cock in your ass would end up in your mouth

sure, but mostly in-house, special snowflake stuff

I'm toying around with a old notebook with a partially failing HDD.
Is there some software I can put on a bootable USB stick to find and disable failing sectors?

>find and disable failing sectors
Your HDD does that by itself most of the times, and moves automatically your data to working sectors

I've new co-worker that started earlier this week, but she's unable to get incoming mail on her pc or her iphone. Webmail works fine and she's able to send mail. Anyone know what could cause this? : /

chec if server setings are configured correctly in the mail client.
Re-enter them manually if necessary

I'm certain that these settings are correct as she's able to send mail from all clients.

I won't see her tomorrow, but I'll make sure I check it one extra time when I do.

is it normal to consider suicide when installing gentoo?

Is there a recommended brand for wireless keyboards and mice? Trying to set up a nice computer + projector combo.

looking for a hosting service that can handle a news wordpress site running in a vps and getting hundreds of thousands of visits a month. Local storage is not that relevant considering it's 99% text and light images.

microsoft and logitech

pls respond

if you want vidya I'd go for Asus STRIX or MSI ROG.

if you wan't something with "good enough" graphics, HP Elitebook/Probook with a dedicated GPU.

If you want something that will last decades but it's useless when it comes to graphics, Lenovo Thinkpad X or T series.

As a keyboard, I recommend you the TypeMatrix. These are matricial, durable keyboards that aim at ergonomy and preventing neuromuscular disorder.

Whether you type in a Dvorak-like keyboard (and I think you should) or not, and if you look at your keyboard when typing in qwerty (or azerty, qwertz, etc.), I recommend you the default keyboard if you install Linux (or BSD, etc.) distros from time to time.

Anybody have this problem?

its like 50% of websites i visit have this weird slanted font, maybe i fucked up sometime. i dont know how to revert it back to default

maybe helveltica is corrupted? i checked it isnt

You may have a look at about ThinkPad, I'm finally satisfied by my T420.

It depends on your user case. However, there is no reason why you wouldn't ask them there.

Go in your browser config? Such as about:preferences in Firefox, then go in "content".

At first glance I guess it's your browser font, the other half would be a font set up by these websites.

My laptop screen has this problem. There are two faint dark lines that start from the bottom of the screen. I've made an approximation of it to show what it looks like. Does anyone know what causes this and how can it be fixed?

Most certainly a hardware issue, do you have any warranty left on your laptop?

No. What kind of hardware issue might it be, any ideas?

Can anyone do a quick comparison between the 6th gen i7-6500u and the 7th gen i7-7200u? Don't really know which one is better or if there's really a significant difference.

The i7-7500u seems to be the best, but it's more expensive and I'm not sure it's really worth that much so I'm looking into the other two

Time ago, I used torrents to fetch my newspapers and journals.
The torrent sites are all down now.

How might I acquire journals once again???
Nothin on libgen.

I wanna build a homelab for learning purposes because at work we are pretty much stuck technology wise.

I thought about using esxi to host the VMs. I want some kind of managmentserver that hosts a git repo, puppet or any other configmanagment software, and realtime and trendmonitoring for the other servers. Since I kinda wanna make use of the servers I want at least 1 backup server and 1 mediastreaming server, maybe one webserver so that I can fiddle around with tomcat a bit and a windows machine.

Any ideas what kind of hardware I need for that? Initially I thought about getting a hp microserver g8 because the formfactor is pretty neat but I would still have to throw a lot of money at it and it really limits me in terms of what hardware I can use (35W CPU, ECC unreg. RAM,...).

What do you guys think? Strong 4core CPU, 32?GB ram for futureproofing. What features are important for the cpu? I've read about passthrough stuff for virtualization does this matter for my lab?

My guess is that the LCD-panel might need a replacement.

I tried but they're only interested in thinkpads, and I can't get a used one where I live, so it's newon e for me. Is Acer any good?

Google the benchmarks.

Bump. FORBES WALLSTREETJOURNAL

Thanks for the help.

I found this chart
cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html

It lists the i5-7200u above the i7-6200u, is that enough then really? I saw some other sites say in some areas the i7 outperformed it like here though
cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6500U-vs-Intel-7200U

Don't i7 models include a turbo boost mode that the i5's don't? Will it really make a difference?

It's not really good. Asus has a good reputation, and you should avoid hp (and hp ultrabooks at any cost).

The ThinkPad general features a link with other computers, such as Asus, Clevo, Sony, etc.: dankpads.com/

I couldn't say a lot more.

But feel free to ask if you have any question anyway!

Do any of you guys have android 5.1 and does USB OTG work for you unrooted?

I ordered a HP Microserver gen8 and two 8TB red pros from WD. I plan to have them in a raid1 config but the spec sheet for the Microserver (from 2012) says it only handles up to 4TB drives. So I guess I'll manage it under Linux hoping it can manage the larger drives based on AHCI information.

My question is which software raid manager should I be using? I will use Linux (probably debian), so:

mdadm + ext4? zraid with zfsonlinux? btrfs (is it time!?)

Any particular mount flags you recommend or is all the documentation good enough.

If it's not student accommodation then you could have a look at powerline adaptors which often have endpoints which have wifi. I got some netlink ones to get the wifi on the top floor of my dutch style overly tall heren house (base station is on the ground floor). They work great.

btrfs raid1 is fine nowadays (ensure you use an up-to-date kernel + btrfs-progs)

it had more features than ext4. zfs is fine if you're using a fixed number of disks, the main disadvantage with zfs for home users is its inflexible vdevs (ex. if you have a two-disk raid1 vdev, you can't add a disk to make it a three-disk vdev)

Thanks user.

Even if it were a slower SATA, it's faster than the 80-120MB/s you can stream from hdds.

>Is this a thing you can do? Declare a function with no parameters and then define it to have parameters?

Yes. The C linker only knows the symbol name, not the number or types of arguments. The C++ linker, however, knows the number of arguments. And, IIRC, their types.

void HCWS2812::Refresh(byte RGBBuffer[][], byte length)
{
//Stuff using those parameters
}

This is C++, not C. And the HCW2812:: will mangle the name so you won't link to this version.

how can i make hdmi audio play as soon as i plug my hdmi cable in on arch? like is there a way? can you put multiple defaults in .asoundrc (because then i'd just put everything including hdmi)?

I want to know what site can be the best for editing gifs.
Can someone please tell me?
If it's a software that comes with a goof gid editor, then also help me with that because I'm on Debian.
Thanks beforhand!

is there any way I can get a hosting provider to give me a server with at least 128 GiB of ram and a decent amount of cores? i only need it for a couple of hours to run something

The smtp settings are probably correct then but the imap settings might be wrong.

A common issue is login vs email names. e.g. your login to the server might be mpoppins but the email address is [email protected]

I found an old Bondwell Pro 8T in the bin and it works, but it has got no software. It's an old IBM PC Clone with two 3.5" drives, no hard drive and was shipped with MS DOS 3.21.

I have downloaded a bunch of images of it and made bootable disks, but none of them works, evey one says "DISK I/O ERROR" when I try to boot. Do I need some special image for this particular type of computer or what am I doing wrong?

I know this is not really current stuff, but if you know anything about installing MS DOS on old computers, please help me. There is really little about this computer out there.

happyponyland.net/bondwell.php

I had this on an old Dell Inspiron after 2 or so years. It was caused from stress on the joint and the connection to the display panel. It required a replacement panel. I had on site next day warranty so it wasn't an issue.

Don't sit on this if you're still under warranty: get it fixed asap. I had it fixed and the next panel went bad after a year or so; a month after the warranty ended. :(

A used 4gb gtx 980 ftw for $180 or should I get something else?

Thanks. Which version of the kernel + btrfs-progs would you consider up to date? 4.7 (current kernel in debian stretch)? 4.4 (ubuntu 16.04 LTS)?

I have 4 bays so I think if I were getting more luns I would make a second raid1 storage pool and move the data to the new pool as the old hdds get to the end of their useful life.

What proccsesor do you have?

Is the RaspberryPI 3 sufficient for running a web server or doing anything that isn't just meme attempts?

Word was that RPI1 was insufficient and RPI2 was iffy

well, i'm using 4.8.5 myself
4.7 is fine, too

the reason you don't want to go too far back is because btrfs is relatively new, and it's only fairly recently that it could be considered production-ready (except for its raid5/6 support, which is buggered)

how do you get better at designing distributed systems/microservices?
it feels like implementing one on your own is a shitton of work and i dont even know where to start

basically I want something I could run a web server for remote control or similar without having to leave a full-blown computer on or invest in an actual server

I'm usually more than 60 miles away from home for several days in a stretch, don't really need a fire hazard in my flat

look at all of the netflix libraries (if you're using java)

I have had the
local area doesn't have valid ip configuration
issue and the online solutions haven't worked.
this all started when i moved and started a my computer at the new place, the clock was offline and now it just goes out of sync every time and then i lose connection.

i'm trying to solve it by first updating all windows updates but how do i know which ones are good and which ones will try to update me to windows 10? i dont' even want the little advertisement down below

shit this is a goldmine, thanks user

I know you can do it with phones, but is there a way to basically tether two standard computers?
The reason behind this is that i have a laptop that maxes out my 250 Mbit/s connection over wifi, but my tower's wifi card can only handle 40 Mbit/s, and running an ethernet cable from the router to my tower is out of the question.
Can I have the tower's traffic be routed through the laptop, and then into the tower with an ethernet cable?

It's still meme. You can run some server on it, but nothing more.