Anyone else find this more of an inconvenience when checking out? This seems to take longer than a swipe

anyone else find this more of an inconvenience when checking out? This seems to take longer than a swipe

oh boy here we go

200 post magstripe vs EMV, europe vs US, credit card vs debit card, plastic vs cash circlejerk incoming

It does take a little bit longer than swipe, but I don't find that to be an inconvenience because a couple seconds really doesn't bother me.

And don't give me that "the time adds up!" bullshit, if we added up all the time we wasted on other things then it would still be completely insignificant.

Well predicted, fpbp

>2016
not using NFC
also FPBP

cash is king when it comes to offline trasnactions IMO

How does it take longer? Besides putting the card in rather than swiping it the procedure is exactly the same.

>swipe takes less time
>still use abysmal measurement system that takes orders of magnitude more time to convert units

the major inconvenience when checking out is still putting all of your shit onto the conveyor belt and removing it 5 minutes later.

putting RFID tags on items and scanning all of the items in the shopping cart at checkout would save much more time

Samsung Pay all the way faggots

PayPass just werks
>tfw phone doesn`t have nfc
>he still counts change

>tap card on surface
>machine beeps
>transaction completed before I've put the card away

Probably the only thing this country has done right

I havent used my strip in like 8 years, I don't know why they still have the stripe on new cards

t. yurop

Sounds extremely insecure

Why aren't you using contactless?

Yes and no. $100 is the limit for paywave and you can dispute any transaction that looks out of the ordinary

Paying with cash is the only Sup Forums approved payment method

Get with times USA. No need to swipe. No need to use chip.

>get new credit card
>it has one of those "chips" europoors on Sup Forums keep raving about
>go to mcdonalds
>order two mcdoubles, a mcchicken, 20 chicken nuggets, 2 large fries, and a mcflurry
>attempt to slide the chip
>"you have to insert it in the slot underneath, sir"
>the slot takes 30 seconds to find
>60 more seconds for it to "verify"
>beeps when it's done
>go deaf from beeping
>by the time I get to a table, my food is cold and a random shooter has gunned down everyone in the restaurant
>have to tip the shooter
>he only accepts credit cards
>"you have to insert it in the slot underneath, sir"
>get shot because I can't find the slot in time
>now $130k in debt from hospital bills
how the hell is this any better?

what's going to happen
>European superiority complex thinking that magstripe = instant fraud and burning your house down
>US superiority complex thinking that EMV = instant communism and checkout time is now automatically 2 hours longer
>NFC fags chiming in
>tinfoil hats chiming in saying that cash is best
>the two actual Apple/Android pay fags chiming in
>hurrdurr why do Americans have 27 credit cards?
>hurrdurr why is there no cashback in Europe?
>Germans complaining that no one will take their shitty national special snowflake card elsewhere

useful for when your swipe part is broken.

this. although it's not uncommon these days to hear stupid people say shit like WE SHOULD JUST BAN CASH because they don't use it and they cannot comprehend that many people prefer it and that it makes life a lot easier

Fucking kek

how do you feel about coins?

cash is primarily used by criminals though, no hard working citizen deals with it on a regular basis. Its only useful since its untrackable (for drugs, weapons, terrorism trade, etc)

maybe in America

in Germany there still lots of cash

Not everyone likes having all their purchases registered for life. Enjoy your botnet.

>this is what amerifats actually believe

>This seems to take longer than a swipe
Go complain or use Android/Apple/Whatever-Pay via NFC if you are Amerifat. If you are Nippon use Suica, if you are German use N26. Magnetic Stripe is deprecated tech and should no longer be used. Get with the times, Chip for the illusion of security, NFC for faster transactions than with grandpas first method of digital payment (aka magstripe)

Also /thread and please kill yourself OP

>US Myanmar and Liberia are the only countries that still use the imperial
>all nigger shitholes with nigger presidents

t. Windows 10 user

DELETE THIS

>in Germany there still lots of cash
Ja wenn du bei Murad 10g kaufst zeigt er dir den Wert in Bar (wie ein Luftdruckprüfer).

Tbf UK road signs are still in imperial
Were a bunch of posers

I dislike the imperial system, too, I just wanted to post something on response.

t. Amerifat

Das meiste ist schon mit Karte aber beim Bäcker, Metzger, Stadtmarkt usw. hab ich noch keinen gesehen der Karte nimmt

Ist jetzt kein Weltuntergang aber zu sagen Bargeld wird nur bei Drogen verwendet ist einfach falsch... min. 2/3 der Leute an der Kasse bei Rewe zahlen immer noch bar aus eigener Erfahrung

Europe is the worst offender imo, you can move your currency over a huge continent easily since so many countries share the same currency

I'm generally quite happy with how things are in the UK with regards to paying for stuff. Chip & pin, contactless, NFC, and you can still use cash of course. Seems like things are always opening up and giving us more choice. If anything sometimes it feels like too much. This morning I was getting my breakfast at McDonald's drive-thru and couldn't decide between cash, my chip & pin debit card, contactless credit card, tapping my phone, tapping my smart watch.

the currency will be eaten up by superinflation sooner or later anyway if Mario Draghi keeps printing money with the central bank

Chips are great

>Swipe

Holy fuck how backwards is America?

That's some 70's shit right there.

Yes I found this was the case when it came out in Europe.

At that same time, I got my brand new Pentium 4 with hyper threading. So it all balanced out.

>Literally 15 years ago

If that like the flammable version of Apple pay?

Cash is the true payment method for the people who support freedom

There has been enough superinflation and artificial devaluation over the course of history that this is a pretty brave statement

cash is a government (central bank) controlled form of payment and only holds its value as long as people trust it, it's as artificial as "plastic money" on your checking account on some bank's servers, it only holds a little buffer period when shit hits the fan

Where I'm from, the limit is CZK499 and whenever I pay, I get an SMS with confirmation before I put my card away. Also, there is certain encryption AND with my personal setup (SMS after every single transaction), I can stop anyone using my card more than once or twice.

Also, I tried to load my card's NFC identity onto my phone, but it didn't work. Dunno why yet, but I'll try to get into it.

>2016
>Not using contactless

It's not meant to be faster it's meant to be more safe against hackers

just like how windows 10 is faster, better, and more secure right?
good goy

Bruh, talk about your jew'd up country. Europe still uses cash a whole lot, if you don't have cash, you can't really move around in a city. Prague has only 2 tram cashless terminals for buying tram tickets, and I haven't seen anyone use it yet. ATMs are all over the place with new ones popping up all the time.

I dont mind the chip, and i don't hate magstripe, and hell, NFC is nice, too. but seriously, we gotta pick one. i'm sick of inserting the chip only to be told 'hurrrr the chip doesn't work gotta swipe' or when i do swipe thinking 'this podunk dollar store in fucking Nowhere, MT probobly hasn't updated' i get the 'You chose... Poorly' beep and i feel like grandpa trying to figure out the microwave

I have never used the magstripe, I only use the chip or contactless. It's strange, but it seems that the chip is much more popular over here.

Not that anyone reads the technical details here generally, but the major difference is in how the payment is transacted. While the stripe transmits the whole track data (which is supposed to be encrypted before leaving the POS, not stored, etc, see the PCI standards for details), the chip only holds a key that combined with the readers key, the time and the user auth (pin or otherwise) creates a one time token to register the transaction. Net result, you can scrape as many of those tokens as you want, they're not going to be worth anything on the black market since it's not the actual CC data.

Myanmar doesn't use Imperial, they have their own system. Liberia seems to have gradually switched to Metric.

go shat to mart filthy amerifat

>why do Americans have 27 credit cards?
Good question. Why do they?

>the average U.S. household has $15,310 in credit card debt

yes and no
where I live and go to uni, not all shops have card readers or charge a fee for using card

If I only take my card with me wherever I'm guaranteed to be invited out to lunch somewhere they only take cash, which means I need to go and find a cashpoint and the only one that doesn't charge a fee is on the edge of campus near nothing relevant

If I only take cash, I'm guaranteed to never take enough with me and because I don't have my card I can't withdraw cash

>frizze wine

is she argie?

Nut up and keep at least $100 in your wallet when you have the funds to do so. Problem solved.

What's your shitty third world problem? You dont have cards?

Pic related is by far the best way to pay

If I break my leg my doctor won't prescribe me opioids nor give me a $15k bill :^(

it's not slow because it's inherently slow but because your companies suck at making it work. Here in europoorland it literally takes only 1 second to work

>hey guys this new tech is out and it's better in loads of ways but we're shit at deploying it right so it circumstantially doesnt work well, guess the tech itself is shit

Asking the real questions here. I understand using credit card and having two of them in case one doesn't work for a random reason. But it seems like people have a wallet full of different credit cards

My family has never taken any loans whatsoever.

the time sure as fuck adds up when you have a queue building at the register and the cashier is just staring into the void waiting for this piece of shit to boot up

thankfully the latest chip readers seem to be faster, but it's still not as fast as magnet strip

A sport store in Europe does this. You just throw everything one at a time in a box at checkout and it scans as it passes through the entrance.

where I live is completely fine. I've carried almost £3k with me and not thought about it, but the area my uni is in is surrounded by rough areas so even £50 makes me concerned

What's the most cash you ever carried?

about 600 euro

I guess most just have them for different cashbacks/rewards/features/etc.

Legend has it that some Americans also use credit cards to pay off other credit cards and end up in sort of a vicious circle (although I'm not sure if this is actually true)

I live in Europe and actually have 4 different cards, one that gives 1% cashback on gas, one that allows for worldwide ATM usage without fees, one standard debit card from my bank and one standard credit card from my bank that was free and has some shitty cashback (I get like roughly 50€ in Amazon gift cards each year but better than nothing)

About 120 USD.
I leave the rest in my bank account.

>anyone else find this more of an inconvenience when checking out?

I agree with you. I swipe my card, then the fucking machine tells me to input my card and wait like 10 seconds before letting me take it out. Shit's annoying.

Back then all I had to do was swipe and that's it.

Around $50k, when I bought my car.

Personally, I think the perfect system would be to use the UK system for measuring distance but the US system for temperature.

UK has the easiest distance system while US has the easiest temperature system.

Who the fuck carries $50k in cash? You could just go to your bank and get a certified check, much safer and nobody gonna steal your check.

>using UK which aren't even fully metric as a sample country for the metric system

Not him but I also buy my cars with cash.
My last car was 11000 EUR used.

>not using Kelvin for measuring temperature
top pleb

I had to deliver $40k to a criminal friend of mine once, I shat bricks

it's the first thing--i have three cards, because when i switched banks it was easier for me to keep the account active rather than close it. same thing when i went from bank 2 to bank 3. so i have to keep the cards active. i split them into acct #1 for bills, acct #2 for personal/recreation stuff, and acct #3 for emergencies.

combine that with a credit card that gives you rewards for buying gas, another one which is rewards for groceries, and another thats a flat cash-back % on other purchases and that's already 6 cards.

if you're counting gift cards with the visa/mc/amex logo then that could be another 1-2, and then theres the not-credit-card rewards/gift cards, which is probobly another 4-5 since they're free and you get a discount for presenting them at a store.

and yes, rarely some americans do balance-transfer from one card to the next in order to get more time to pay it off, but that is a /terrible/ idea. i imagine it's something people do in other countries too, but probobly less often.

>i imagine it's something people do in other countries too, but probobly less often.
I can only speak for Germany and from hear-say I can only say that some people do this, but only with shady loans, not with credit cards.

Because it is actually very hard to get another credit card if you overdraw one. We have a company that keeps credit scores (called Schufa) and most banks will lock the shit out of your card if you actually don't pay the bill (there's not really a bill here though, credit cards automatically withdraw the monthly "bill" from your checking account - but if there's not enough money on your checking account - you get the gist)

>new

Anything besides cash means you are playing into the hands of the NWO.

Well here in Canada we have all types of transactions. We can Tap, Swipe, chip, apple pay, Samsung pay, pretty much the whole lot. So we can. Choose pretty much however we want to pay.

Are you aware that inflation is the goal of the qe?

>trusting the federal reserve illuminatis
>not using gold
top sheeple

So, chip was faster?

Stop showing me Goatse

>start EMV thread
>discussion on NWO

identity protection is worth every cent because, KYC for compliance, AML

all transactions are monitored and justifiably so

the cashless concept took a hit with the recent DNS attack but it's feasible in a sense that cash is an increasing liability in determining provenance

A lot of cards have bonuses for signing up, different cards have different rewards/cashback systems, and there generally isn't any risk or cost in having a credit card but never using it.

How the fuck is this even possible without being some kinda shopaholic tard?!

>nigger shitholes with nigger presidents
Speaking of that...
Why is paracetamol more expensive in the states, when literal shitholes have it cheaper.

You would have to copy the chip because its actually NFC radio that then powers a chip in the card that does a unique math function and returns an answer. Hence why you can't copy it

The inflation is already happening but it doesn't actually end up in the real economy. It is fully absorbed by the financial markets. Mario then wonders why they can't meet their 2% inflation goal and keeps pumping more and more because thats all the central bank is allowed to do.

my guess is buying house
buying two cars
student loans of two people
the american dream is expensive and you have to give your soul to the banks to get it

>Ausfag
>Used paypass for so long I forgot my pin for when I use the chip for large purchases