What Sup Forums use to manage his home network ?

What Sup Forums use to manage his home network ?

MikroTik Routerboard, feeds into switch/patch panel to each room ethernet outlet

Why dont you position the switch backwards if you're going to bend all the cables behind anyway?

unless you often plug in and out in which case I guess for convenience

>his
did u just assume my gender?

whats proxmox?

A hypervisor. It's pretty new but they update it constantly. It's turning into a solid product.

OpenWRT

Network diagrams make things easier

>straight-through fro router to switch

He likes the LEDs, makes him feel like a CCIE

You forgot to lable your wan ip, why even bother if youre going to do a half ass job.

>NSA 320S
>NSA

>Posts network diagram in PT
>Doesn't configure devices

Just leave

Sorry this is my first time making one. I'm new to all of this.

your wan ip is the ip used to communicate outside of your house, you are not supose to give it out, though its easy to get with a direct connection.
The mods on Sup Forums can see it.

I was just being a smartass because it could be used to find potentially vulnerable shit at your house and hax you.
Or just ddos you for a few days.

>neat-patch
got the neet part right hehehe

Well I'm at an apartment complex and they have one public IP and everything is NATed so you can have it if you want.

hmm..
cant I have a vps?

>proxmox
>new
Ugly. Learn how to network diagram.

>Learn how to network diagram.

post example

What software do you use, visio?

It kinda sucks because they block or filter tons of ports so I can't run an OpenVPN server or anything.

It's new relative to other solutions.

Yep, visio. I'm on mobile, just look up the sexy visio templates they have out there.

The shitty Netgear router that comes with Virgin Media, as you can't change it for a better one, and the whole house uses wifi apart from my desktop. It doesn't have reliable wifi so I had to set up a bridge (out of a pi because poorfag) and attach my desktop via ethernet to it. Works like a charm, and I only need one address on the bridge as it's a separate network.

any industry standard?

Here's two minutes in MS Paint's worth of my network map. Not included is the mess of wiring to get everything working. Yes, I'm NEET :^)

Always Cisco ones

And a (very) shitty visual I made

Theres ways around it.
Hows the upload speed?

I don't get all technical like that. Probably DHCP because each device plugged into the switch is assigned a different IP.

what's the point of that router, why not cable modem and parents pc straight into the switch

There isn't a point for his second router. Besides autism.

A mikrotik hPa Routerbox with a D-Link switch
That is all
Pretty basic but does the job

oh shit, that router below is his main router, now i realize

But what the fuck is that upper router doing, it's not even used?

Because the cable modem, its router, and my parents' PC are on the first floor. My network switch and router are on the third floor. So I'd have to run two additional ethernet cables through the house.
Yes there is. The first router can't be reached on the third floor. So I have my own router up there so if I need to look up shit on my phone, I don't need to use data. Also helps to test wifi connections of laptops and shit like that.

primarily Apple Airport Express.

So its an access point.

Both routers are. I neglected to mention that my parents' laptops and phones connect wirelessly to the first router. And if my siblings are home they'll also connect their devices to that one. The second router idles except when I need it (for my phone, or to test wifi on a customer's laptop or something along those lines.)

so, your chart is wrong on many levels?

Yes. Here's a slightly better chart.

TOPKEK

kek'd

forgot to include smart dildo

just werks ;-)

haha

is that a UniFi Security Gateway? And if so, do you like it?

>You can n t network cause ur ftth modem is a dick with connections

>Literally got plug a computer browse Internets so port is open then swap to get router on

I'm connected to the uni's network, which gives public IPs through DHCP. You can configure online if you want your IP to be accessible through a hostname (name.student.utwente.nl), then the IP becomes static.

After that I have a dumb gigabit switch which connects my PC, and another managed 24-port gigabit switch further away that connects to my TV, IPTV set top box and a laptop, connected to a monitor, which acts as kind of a dashboard (upcoming classes, weather etc). There's also an AP connected to this switch, because eduroam is a bit slow.

There are also a few loose cables connected to the dumb switch in case I ever want to connect my laptop or something.

How is your main PC on 2.12? Wireless?

this

Pretty good. I can't remember the exact numbers but I'll do a speedtest when I get home.

I like to hide everything in my basement

Based set up. How are the server specs?

No. that's just the way it assigned itself.

Fuck man that cable gore. Clean your shit up and get it together man.

This. The bar is set so low.

>tfw it has a 10/100 controller and you have Google Fiber
>it just werkz mang

the extreme version has a gbit

I had a pentium 4 box with pfsense on last year with 1.5 year uptime on it. BUT FUCK ME the power that thing draws is on the same level as a small city JUST ON IDLE. Not being able to run openvpn with full encryption on router is the thing i miss the most on my consumer router i have currently.

And yet it's still a pile of shit

RouterOS Masterrace.

>routerOS
shitty clone of Unix
>apple airport extreme firmware
actual Unix via netBSD

>manage

If by that you mean 'turn it on & forget about it'.

What's a good tool for generating a network diagram?

i like this meme

Ubiquiti devices are most excellent. user has good taste.

Visio

It has a lot of predefined network templates plus there's shiton of custom made ones on the internet, even Cisco themselves made visio stencils for their equipment

>Modem
Netgear CG-3000D-RG (shitty ISP provided modem)

>Router
Asus RT-AC66R

>Switch
Netgear GS105E

2 computers in the den are ethernet wired into the netgear switch.
1 computer in the den is wired into the Asus.
1 printer is wired directly into the Asus.
1 NAS is wired directly into the Asus.
All wireless devices connect through the Asus.

Am I doing anything wrong (besides the modem)? I'm thinking about dropping the $150 to buy an SB6190 modem and sending the ISP's shitty one back to them. Worth it?

shit man I ain't got time to make a diagram...

netgear jgs524 16 ports gigabit switch
2x netgear 108 prosafe 8 ports gigabit switches
3x tp-link 8 ports gigabit switches
approx 900 meters of UTP in the house
draytek dual-wan router 2950
fritz!box SIP/DECT
2x unifi pro wifi
4x dahua cameras fullhd 1080 with IR
1x proliant ml350 g8 with 24tb hdd storage, 2tb ssd storage, 32gb ram

that's about all the gear that i run on my network, but there's other shit too like tv's, phones, laptops, playstation etc. but the heart of my network is up ^^ there.

that's why I did it in a piss-por graphviz dot file
I'm

I use a router. Oh and if i run out of ports for some reason i have this cheap chinese switch.

Used to have this laptop i used as a vpn/tor./usless server, it used wifi. When i fiddle with a raspberry pi: wifi.

The only reason for your network setup to be complicated is because you want it to be, consider it a house fedora.

didnt mean to reply to you, i just opened the box by clicking the respond thing on the last post and uh yeah efforts are hard.

Who is this Sup Forums anyway? Is he some kind of network administrator who knows how to hack things?

Router to a switch with my cheap raspis running off the switch, I also made a kill switch so I can take all my servers offline at the click of a button

HAH i saw your dumb ass post on reddit after everyone here told you to read a book on how networking works

i use networking equipment

>that old school gamer mousepad from counter strike days

you better fucking believe it bro, funcpads used be the shit back in the day.

now i just use one of those cheap $1 picture mousepads from a couple years ago

Still around?

Arris SBG6900-AC modem/router combo and an unmanaged switch because I am lazy. I have two cheap wifi routers in other parts of the home I use as access points. Max devices i've ever had was about 30 during a party and the Arris and AP Routers handled it like champs.

I am a network admin by trade, and honestly just like plug-n-play at my home. Most of my co-workers are the same. It's not a hobby for me.

The cable management is horrid, too many cable technicians have raped it before I moved into this house. It works though and I am too lazy to fix it.

could someone point me in the direction of a good guide on how to set something like this up? i feel like it's something i should learn

Like what?
Honestly if you dont know how to set stuff up on this level, you probably dont need it on this level.

Are you able to turn off the glowing ring/LED? I want to get those to put on the walls in my house. However, I don't want my house to look like a fucking nightclub.

Came out looking half decent imo.

Was running only the thomson for a long while and it kinda worked until the point we had a thousand wireless devices in the house, had to bridge to the linksys so i could get a hold of QoS, now shit is decent but i'm a beginner at fiddling in the router and i don't like the dd-wrt forum, it's shit for finding good help & guides.

pretty much is run under one vm host. So i guess I'm pretty much boned if it goes down.

Modem:SB 6183
Router:pfsense on old core 2duo e8500 with 8 gigs of ram.
Switch: some Netgear unmanaged switch.
AP: various old routers as AP. An rtn66r, an ac56u ,some netgear one, a dir 655, 2asus rtn12 and for the outside got a heavily modified wrt54g.

Network consists of about 7 tablets, 10 phones, 4 desktops, 1 server and about 6-10 laptops.

Lol. Reddit is good for information. I come here for some advice but mostly memes.

63 mbps down. 15 mbps up

nothing

I can have vps plox

I got bored so I made this
the eth cable by my bed is currently plugged into my t420 that I use as an esxi host
rpi isn't doing anything yet, but I might test out load balancing between it and the odroid that I have.
W520 is running windows 10, with vmware workstation for my virtualization. I'll eventually move it over to esxi whenever I'm not really lazy (I have to convert my vms from vmware level 12 to 11 or something like)

Use the pi for pi-hole

>10/100 eth
no

it's just DNS queries, it's not like it's performing any real routing...
If you have more than 100 mbps of DNS you're part of a botnet anyways.

a router

How do you want me to do this?