GTX 1060 vs RX 480

Who wins this fight?

Does AMD plan to come out with a card better than the RX 480?

>imb4 back to Sup Forums...

Other urls found in this thread:

isportstimes.com/articles/17344/20161029/amd-radeon-rx-490-confirmed-first-generation-vega-gpu-architecture.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=ZxsIOV2AjMc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a dual card from AMD
RX490. will have 2x 480 cores underclocked

>1080

>What did he mean by this?

The 1080 absolutely shits on the 480. The 1060 is a direct competitor with the 480.

i mean stop comparing AMD-NVIDIA and get yourself NVIDIA that works

480 if you want to have high resolution with freesync

Buy RX 480 and use bios hack to turn your 4GB model into 8GB

That's the mentality that leads people to buy Macs.

Pretty sure even if it works games wouldnt be optimized for it.

Does that still work? I thought that only applied to the first wave of reference cards.

no, no and no, i would never buy apple products

this is something I feel like isn't considered enough

the difference between freesync and g-sync price can be up to 50% (in Canuckada, there's 1440p 144hz freesync monitors for $540, but the cheapest similar g-sync is $850)

you could argue that anyone buying a budget card, eg 480 and 1060, probably won't be spending $500 on a monitor anyway, but it's definitely something to consider

a rx480+freesync monitor will be much nicer than a gtx1060+non-adaptive sync monitor

Are 480 prices sane yet

I bought a 1060 for this simple reason. I have over 80 games on steam and majority of them use opengl or dx9/10/11. The 1060 is almost an equivalent 980 at stock clocks. I was planning on getting a 490 if it came out but amd cucked the card for the next series. I have a beastly msi gaming x 1060 and a i7 6700. I was rubbing a old shitty 8 year old computer and couldn't wait for zen and vega.

my dick wins lmao

RX 480.

>posts benchmarks for the 3gb 1060
>implying anyone would buy the 3gb 1060

That's for 6GB 1060.

In that case you chose openCL benchmarks and expect us not to realize the AMD excels in openCL while Nvidia uses Cuda.

I just picked up an 8gb 480 on sale for $220, seemed very fair

AMD (had at one point) put a RX 490 posting on their page. To my knowledge, there is supposed to be a RX 490 and/or even a RX 495/RX 492 dual GPU card to compete with the market for the GTX 1080 up nVidia cards.

Are you saying Nvidia would get much better scores if CUDA was used? I doubt that. In either case, if nvidia's OpenCL implementation is bad, it's their fault.

Just watch any digital foundry video, 1060 destroys 480 constantly.

RX480 performs better in Gears 4, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, and Forza Horizon 3.

The writing is on the wall.

You're asking whether to buy amd or nvidia on a board confirmed to be populated by amd owners who will make criticisms about the competition without even owning their product.

Even Sup Forums is a better place to ask since, you know, people can actually tell you how games perform on either card based on personal experience instead of sperglords on this board posting biased benches.

>Who wins this fight?
Old games? 1060
New games? 480

>Does AMD plan to come out with a card better than the RX 480?
Vega isportstimes.com/articles/17344/20161029/amd-radeon-rx-490-confirmed-first-generation-vega-gpu-architecture.htm

retard

>Nvidia
>Works
pick 1
I just sol my 780ti and went back to my old 7970 because of Nvidia's lack of driver support cucking the card.

You see, just like I said.

Yes, that's great proof you own a 780 ti.

If we're on that subject, I owned a 390 for 3 months and the fans died on me. It was a shit card might I add, so nothing of any loss. My 1070 is insanely faster and it cost the same price as the 390 too (£350).

No shills here :^)

I owned a GTX 780ti. I sold it because it was slower than my gen older 7970 in some new games.

Fuck off shill.

own'd

What am I even looking at here? looks like an old asus directcu 290 my roommate used to have.

sell 980 and wait until next year for good GPU? don't like nvidia but i want something good for 1440 and maybe 4K.

ASUS DirectCU II GTX780TI

also you can tell it is a Nvidia card by the SLI bridge.

I would have taken that 780ti off you to replace my 390. it was probably faster too.

Unlucky but we all make shit choices I guess. Well I don't, but you know.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZxsIOV2AjMc

Hmm... Care to reword your statement?

Why does only DF show increasing dx12 performance when literally every other benchmarker I've seen (like 10+) show otherwise in bf1? there's something dodgy going on here.

Well, they did show decreasing performance in DX12 with the 1060 later in the video, if that's what you mean. The 1060 gets much better performance in DX11 mode.

No I mean every other reviewer shows moving to dx12 mode has 0 benefit for either cards with dx12 actually causing much lower minimums on both amd and nvidia and non performance gains with both nvidia and amd losing performance in many cases.

This is the only video which shows any gains in dx12 mode.

Huh... Interesting. Perhaps reviewers got their benchmarks out before an optimized driver was available? I've seen it happen before, but I have no idea if that might the case here.

I guess the best choice is to test it myself and make up my own mind.

It's not the drivers because joker productions and hardwareunboxed both released updated videos with the latest drivers and it was the exact same situation. even linus made a video about bf1 today and mentioned how broken dx12 mode is.

That's either on backwards or you've got a fucked up case.

> A $270 GPU can get you triple digit framerates with max settings on a brand new AAA spectacle game

Thank you based AMD

Case is sitting sideways on the ground. Card was pulled out and sitting on top of the HDD cage.

Simple guideline for the last few years since GCN 1.0 aka the HD 7900 series and the Nvidia 500 series.

>I plan to keep the card for more than six months to a year
Buy AMD otherwise Nvidia

>I play mostly Gameworks titles
Buy Nvidia

>I use a Gsync monitor
Buy Nvidia

>I use a Freesync monitor
Buy AMD

>I play mostly AMD games
Buy AMD

> I upgrade every year or year and a half and get it on specials/sales/big rebates
Buy whichever is the best deal at the time for your region.

I heard the 14 nm fin-fet process is maturing and 480s built most recently are easily clocking over 1400 mHz.

RX 480 very hot and ruinous
It will burn your mobo
RX 480 Crossfire will burn your house

Cheapest is the dearest
You shout get Titan XP or at least GTX 1080