With which distro did you lose your GNU/Linux virginity, user?

With which distro did you lose your GNU/Linux virginity, user?

Was it hard or easy to get used to?

Fedora Core 3. It was pretty fucking easy and I was 13.

I lost my virginity when I was using knoppix.
I realized sex was way over hyped and switched to ubuntu and never had sex again.

ubuntu
ezpz

Xubuntu. One of the friendliest to begin with.

Mint like a week ago. It doesn't "just werk"

I lost my GNU/Virginity to Debian. It was rough at first but I gained a lot of experience.

Arch, using fedora now

mint is pretty shit beginners distro idk why people recommend it anyway
like whats wrong with ubuntu that mint does better

Ubuntu 6.06. Hardly anything worked, but I kept experimenting with Linux every once in a while ever since. Been using Linux as my primary OS since around 2009.

Mandrake 8. We've come a long way baby.

linux lite 1.0.2
good times my dude

openSuse 6.something.
Good times.

Linux Mint.
My dad randomly found a disc with it and just gave it to me.

arch

i couldn't wake up

Ubuntu 10 I think. Used Mint for a while after that, switched to Arch, went back to Ubuntu (+ Cinnamon) last year because the gains in dev environment weren't worth the losses in UX

Well, there's Unity, and Cinnamon didn't work on Ubuntu 14.04 (I think) for a while.

Debian Sarge

Far less handholding than modern desktop Linux, totally worth the learning experience.

only problem with unity is that its not customizable

ubuntu

was great until i started fucking with it

Because it looks good out of the box, and comes with what you need to get actual work done

First distro I ever installed was Arch but the first distro I really used was Slax

>No SweetOS to choose from
for what reason

elementaryOS

It's not on the list.

Yggdrasil. From a set of Walnut Creek compilation CDs.

Literally more than 20 years ago.

Debian
Using manjaro now

kubuntu, using arch rn

red hat linux in 98. I had my dad buy me red hat linux and some kind of partition software i don't remember what for my birthday. He discouraged me (there's no software for it!) but allowed me to do it. dual booted to Windows 95

yeah linux is free, but this was dial up internet days and basically would have been impossible to download on my family's phone line

Ubuntuce (Christian linux distrobution). My youth pastor introduced it to me and I've never turned back from linux since. I've since moved on to other distros because of lack of maintenance.

Also, could you maybe pick another term instead of "virginity"?

Antergos used that for 2 months before installing Arch.

An outdated version of Fedora core 6 at school, first time i heard of Linux. Our professor in lab then show us how to install and how to dual boot.

I lost my virginity with tails actually and then fucked mint in 2014. Now I'm using Arch.

LFS when I was 10.

Funtoo stole my innocence.
Fuck you Sup Forums for almost making me dismiss GNU/Linux forever.
I well and truly fell for the meme.

QUADS

So does ubuntu

Ubuntu.
I tried to chuck it in a severely underpowered netbook.
Surprisingly it worked, also installed random software on it.
I never actually checked if windows programs worked, so i would leave it here, then one day i destroyed the partition because i was running out of space.

Currently using deepin on a more powerful notebook, too bad that the netbook died... probably 3 months ago.
My only regret is that i didn't install gentoo on it.

puppy then crunchbang

Ubuntoo of course when i was 13. It was mindblowingly different from whatever i used to but crashed after month don't know why (probably something with x.org but i didn't figured out what's exacly went wrong then).
And now after almost 10 years of distrohoping i finally on gentoo. It is perfect, i clearly understand what's going on with the system and how it works from core to ui, so i probably never will look to any other distro ever.
Love portage tree, love overlays, love eselect tools. Absolutely glad felling to install gentoo meme. It just werks and surprisingly even simplier than microsoft clusterfuck os.
I'm not a robot you stupid recaptcha!

slackware

First linux distro that I used was like Ubuntu 5 or something

Mandriva.

Pic related was pretty much ubuntu friendly tier back then.

Feels old.

>Mandrake
Same here, except I was a fucking kid so I barely messed around with it a couple of days before asking dad to install Windows 95 so I could play Quake.

First one I got really into was one of the early versions of Ubuntu or Debian, I don't even remember.

At work Mint, don't like it so much but works really well out of the box (most of the time).

i lost it to backbox gnu/linux when i wanted to pentest my home network and i ended up loving it and installed mint, then i went to debian and ended up on manjaro which is where i am now

crunchbang

took me a while to get hang of it

This. I bought it at waldenbooks. Came with Slackware 2.0. It was my first Linux install.
But I used my isp's SunOS shell for a few years before. I remember asking mom to take me to the mall to buy it.

forgot pic

Bodhi

Am I the only one who's had better driver support on Ubuntu than on Windows?

of course you got a VM with that now, don't you?

Raspbian. Pretty easy, but then again it is Raspbian.

Ubuntu just to install Team Fortress 2 and get the Tux.

Debian 1.3 that came with Boot Magazine.

Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Came from Windows XP, loved the fact I could change literally anything about it, spent days ricing. Those were good days.

Gentoo.
Too easy if you ignore the non-working nVidiot driver. Might try LFS someday.

Probably mint

Suse.
It was suse.

Gentoo, I was a 16 years old l33t hax0r with a million of "theme patches" on my XP machine so I wanted to feel even more hax0r and it was a fucking nightmare.

redhat 8. i loved it. rh9 was even more comfy.

RedHat, 13 years old. It was 2005 and I had no idea there was a Fedora Core.

In that same year I went to Ubuntu Hoary & also briefly went with the Gentoo meme. (Gnome 2.x was my top tier of usable Linux UI and I thank MATE for keeping it going)

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala
It was around the time Windows 7 was coming out and people were arguing about Windows VS Linux o'course, and I decided to give Linux a try. I still remember the orange background and jungle music greeting me for the first time.

You FUCKED that christian distro. And it fucked you back. And you liked taking it up the ass.

Elementary, easy.

Ubuntu 10.10, it was a fun distro. I run Arch now.

Mandriva, I think? I don't remember the year, but I believe I was using something along 98 or 2000 and owning legit ME back then. I briefly remember installing ME for a short time just before giving Mandriva a try.

debian 3.1
after the first week it was really easy.

Aurox Linux

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

>dat fucking Broadcom driver

Debian stable with Cinnamon. Was easy as fuck. It stills doesn't have screensavers and that sucks. But I only have to wait less than a year to solve that issue.

Thinking again, the first was Slackware. Was kind of easy. It was in 1997, I think.

Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my shitty Acer Aspire One AOA-110 netbook. Shit only had 8GB of storage + SD card slot for additional storage. Didn't know what the fuck I was doing and installed a slim version 7 called Tiny7 instead before trying Xubuntu later on.

Ubuntu 12.04,yeah I got in the game pretty late.It was really fast and everything worked out of the box.Condisering that I was using xp at the time (it was an absolute garbage of my laptop),ubuntu seemed to me like a breath of fresh air.After 2 years of distrohopping I settled with arch.

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
The awesome feeling i got when i booted a live cd and noticed i basically do not need to install anything to connect to internet, and had to "just" install the nvidia gpu drivers (although i failed since those were dark times and i tired to install them from nvidias site).
Windows never gave me that feel again, so i came back to linux occasionally to check if things were getting better and since debian 7 / ubuntu 14.04 i always have a linux system on my pc , either dual boot for gayman or just linux.

Probably 2007ish, Fedora, fucked up by apt-getting shit instead of rpm or whatever, broke the system, installed ubuntu for a little bit then did a CLI install of debian and added the packages I needed.
To this day I'm a debian guy

First was either Mandrake or SuSE. They were pretty easy, though Linux drivers were pretty limited back then. I'm running Antergos now and it's fantastic.

Arch Linux. Installed it with a friend.

It was surprisingly easy. I would use Arch again but I am lazy.

SuSE Linux 8.something.
Peach of cake.

Slackware was the first distribution I successfully managed to install. Any others I had previously tried failed for completely inexplicable reasons. In retrospect, I think it might have had something to do with installing them on a machine that lacked PAE. Although one of them actually shipped out a faulty ISO image, which still hasn't been corrected to this day.

>Was it hard or easy to get used to?

It was surprisingly not very difficult. I figured out package management, manual dependency resolution and how to compile shit pretty quickly. The most confusing part was learning how to configure the various window managers and desktop environments available, as they all have their own configuration utilities or settings files. Some had bizarre interpretations of usability and ergonomics that really put me off, especially the DEs. I ultimately decided to stick with a window manager alone.

Probably Red Hat in 2000. I used a variety of distros for about five years until I got a Mac and haven't looked back since then. Debian was probably my favorite distro due to its package management, I didn't see any other major differences between distros. FVWM was the best window manager due to its lightweightness.

And installing was never a problem for any distro.

Ubuntu
>tfw it was rape

Ubuntu, back in 2010. I was happy with it until the desktop died and decided to stick with Windows since I had lack of compatibility of Linux.

Nope, I gave that disk away to a friend that ran a BBS. I do have my Old Pentium PRO bill with my second distro, RedHat 4.0 from 1996. It supported SMP for my duallies.

Debian at the time it was only a choice between RHEL and Debian there werent much distros like today.
Internet was 56kbps and I had to wait 8 hours for the netinstall iirc.

Since I'm in nostalgia mode going through my old box of disks, heres RedHat 4.1 (not RHEL) archive disk that I got from a computer swap show.

I'm using Mageia now and love it

Ubuntu (12 or 14, don't remember).
The first few days were weird, not hard but just weird since it was so different from Windows. Managed to break it once and give up on it, then switched back to it in a few months when Windows shit itself.
It's been pretty comfy now that I've decided to mainly use it, and I honestly like Unity.

Could you sack up?
Christfags have no place here. This is a board of machines created with science

Linux Mandrake.
Feels good to have moved to ubuntu 6 later on and stuck with it.
For a while though was using Backtrack

Ubuntu as everyone I know
Using Arch now

Mandriva or Kurumin when I was 10. I don't remember which one exactly

Started with debian wheezy, didn't even realize packages were outdated, but it's still a nice starter distro that doesn't advertise as one.

Slackware

Slax Killbill Edition, used it to rez a borked win98se install. Good times.

Mint. Just werked for about a month, then my package manager bricked so I switched to Debian. Couldn't be happier.

Ubuntu 10.10 just before unity
I used wubi to install it. I was so fucking impressed I could use something else than windows on a computer

Knoppix

Either Mandrake or Conectiva, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore, huh?
Back then all I really did with it was messing around with the desktop widgets and my father was the one who installed and configured everything, so it wasn't really hard.

First time I did everything on my own was with Linux Mint but by then things were much simpler.