Previous thread: >>57286162

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/152111046446
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820156151
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373&cm_re=850_evo-_-20-147-373-_-Product
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is the x200 still fine for casual computing?

Casual as in watching non-10bit cartoons, youtube, using notepad++ and browsing bloated modern JS websites.

My X200s works just fine for casual use..

Found this T61 for 50€, what to expect? Already found the dedicated wiki for T61 (middleton BIOS, et cetera)
14 Inch Display
Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 with2x 2 GHZ
80 GB Sata HDD
2 GB Ram
DVD burner
WLAN
Bluetooth

Early for x220

Better make sure it's got the Intel iGPU and not the Nvidia dGPU. The Nvidia models like to kill themselves just from normal usage and are housefire-tier besides that.

>x220

hunk of shit

Can't wait to play halflife 3 on my FHD modded x220

What's a good price for an X220 with SSD + HDD, 8GB of RAM and an i7?

Found one on eBay without an OS but in decent condition for 270 quid but the accept offers.

I wouldn't take one even if its free.
> sandy bridge i7 + x220
enjoy the house fire user

I need a new battery for my trusty t420. Anyone have any advice? Where should I look, what type of battery should I get?

I noticed the 9 cells stick out of the back a bit, is that uncomfortable at all?

I use a 9 cell and have never had any problems. I've been thinking about getting an ultrabay battery as well because I currently have a hard drive in my ultra bay that I don't really need.

If anything the 9cell is even better because it'll provide a stop if your thinkpad wants to fall backwards.

I recently upgraded my T420 and was wondering if anyone has a distro recommendation. I've always used OpenBSD on it but lately I've wanted to try something different.

Best place to buy replacement batteries? My T430s is shot.

gentoo (I mean why not)

You ever thought of rebuilding a battery? I'm pretty sure that T420 batteries are just straight up 18650s chained together. You can get decent 18650 batteries for like $3 each.

Not everyone here has autism

if saving $40 and being certain just how much capacity my new battery has means I have autism then I'm damn proud to have autism.

How bad is 1280x800 for coding?
Not sure if i should get a x200.

The really depends upon the programmer. You might just try setting your current resolution to 1280*800 or some approximate variation thereof and seeing how well you like it.

buyers guide seems to only be for used thinkpads which i'm not interested in.

looking to buy a gift for my sister who keeps buying these shitty $200 laptops and breaking them. figured a thinkpad would be durable enough to last her, but not sure which models would be considered the most durable. yoga 11e seems good, but the tablet aspects makes me think it'll be less rugged than i'm looking for.

i've got about $600 to drop on this. suggestions?

x220 IPS with a 850 EVO.

Usually I like doing stuff myself like that, but I have a bad habit of killing laptops with bad batteries

Why don't you want a used one? They've never done me wrong.

Elaborate on the ultrabay battery? Never heard of it

i can see what you're getting at here but not sure if my sister would be able to replace to hdd with the ssd. i could ship to me and do it myself and then ship it to her i suppose

i guess because it's a gift

T420s can put a battery in their ultrabay but unfortunately Lenovo decided not to implement that feature for the standard T420.

Elementary os

Did I make the right choice for my T420's OS partition?

The size is enough, the price was great and the speed is msata II anyway.

I guess I'm asking about reliability and durability of the brand?

What do you think of this?

ebay.com/itm/152111046446

Are you putting that in the slot the WiMax usually goes into?

100% housefire guaranteed

Why? They seem legit to me, except for being chinese

I really don't trust them with batteries or anything power related

I hope you have another ssd or something, because 60gb gets filled up really fast
I'd say return it, and get an ssd with some actual capacity, and throw whatever hard drive you had in the trash.
hard drives do NOT belong in laptops in 2016.

X220 for 160€ or X230 for 210€?

buy a refurbished one t450s

Will that even work? mSATA SSD in WLAN/WWAN slot? Whaaaaaaaaat?

60GB SSD for the OS in the mSATA slot.
320GB HDD (7400 rpm)
1TB HDD (5400 rpm) in the optical drive slot

It was an excellent ebay bargain with the 320GB HDD and I needed an inexpensive solution for faster boot times.

It will be given to someone else (minus the 1TB drive, which I use for back ups) after I play around with it a little. The Kingston was also a relatively good deal making a great bargain overall imo.

Buying, say a Samsung EVO, will be as expensive as the whole package at the moment.

>7400 rpm
I meant 7200**

return the ssd, sell the 320gb hdd, and use the money you got from that + a tiny bit more to get a 250 gb ssd, and an external hard drive thing for the 1tb drive
hard drives do NOT belong in laptops

LOL, i got my x230 for $100 US

Fuck off autist
No one cares
I don't live in America obviously

How much should I pay for a HP 8570W?

For rebuilding you'll need a spot welder. All those youtube fucks soldering the cells are just plain retarded and suicidal.
I've yet to come across a tutorial rebuilding a recent battery pack for a significant capacity increase and not those ancient 700c packs.

no u

Doesn't the battery controller have some safety mechanism where it shuts off permanently when you disconnect the batteries?

T510 for $115
can i hackintosh it?

LOL, i got my t510 for $80 US

buy it naow

>calling me autist

When you are the one overpaying...

>hard drives do NOT belong in laptops in 2016.

I have one because my Thinkpad is my only computer. Having a desktop is a bit inconvenient as a student in dorms. Especially if you do not really need desktop performance.

In any case it feels bit silly to have 3 SSDs on your laptop.

Hey /tpg/ I'm about to place an order for a P70 with E3-1505M v5 (Xeon 2.7GHz Quad core) and Quadro M4000M. I got the bare minimum on RAM/SSD since I figure I can install those myself for cheap. I plan to use this mainly for heavy video editing and After Effects.

Question: 1) any known issues with the P70? Is it solid and reliable? I'll be using this to earn my living so it needs to hold up. 2) Is this setup capable of handling heavy editing/VFX work well?

>not having one of these in the main bay, another in the ultrabay, two mSATAs in each adapter as well as an mSATA in both internal mPCIe slots, and an Expresscard SSD for a total of seven SSDs
Do you even fast?

>hackintosh
no, buy a real mac, or don't bother using mac os
Mac os is only nice on macbooks, on anything else it's dogshit.

external hard drive
problem solved

What kind of battery life would I get on this? Xps too expensive and I like industrial of Thinkpad, but want good battery

How do you guys feel about the x240? Anyone notice any common issues?

Garbage unusable trackpad with no physical trackpoint buttons. Can be replaced with the X250 trackpad fairly easily, though.

That was my only concern. It looks like good price for good specs. The only cavet I saw was the shit trackpad.

I like the idea of the battery upgrade that can potentially last 10 hours.

edgy

I've a ThinkPad t420i with x2 ssd slipped in

product page links

Lenovo
cnet

ssd1 win10
ssd2 Ubuntu

so what I want to know if it's possible to somehow configure/set my laptop to always boot to the menu where I can specify which ssd to into when I boot my laptop

If it's possible.. How?

.. whatever that "product links" part... I copied my forum thread post...

What does /tpg/ think of the Thinkpad Helix?

What's that?

>grade b
Probably 2hours

Just bought an x220t. What cool things can I put in the express card slot? I saw a mouse, tv tuner, egpu adapter, usb expander, and smart card reader. Any other interesting stuff?

I have a question for you guys. I did a x220 ips install on an x220 but the adhesive on it was really gloopy and messy. I still used it and got some other tape to use as support. I want to install the same ips panel on another x220 that I have in my posession, but I don't want to get that nasty adhesive shit on it.

Any recommendations on adhesive solvent/remover that is good to use with electronics?

What thinkpad can I get that would get me 6+?

What are all tthe ways I can make my ThinkPad cooler?

W520 btw

Just buy a new battery pack, probably will reach 6 hours then

This SSD will fit in my x230 right?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820156151

Actually this looks better for my x230

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373&cm_re=850_evo-_-20-147-373-_-Product

depends on the battery, it's condition, and what kind of power saving modes you are ok with, and how you use it
With very conservative power saving modes and lightly browsing the internet I can get 9 hours of battery life on my t420.
without and power saving and playing a game or something its like 30 minutes to an hour at best.

I'd rather just have a laptop with better battery

its called grub

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT.

Soon, my love.

> No trackpoint buttons

Might as well go kys

Tbh trackpoint buttons seem a bit clunky to me. Plus, can't you just remove the clickpad and replace it with a trackpad that includes the buttons?

pls reply

Here (You) go.

Pls no bully

If i were a richfag i would do this.

Anyone got a t460p here with a quadcore and the 940m?
Can you test if it throttles under full load (cpu and gpu)
and what's the battery life like?
I'm probably going to be getting a t470p whenever it comes out since the new macbook is so shit.

>running them all in RAID 0
LUDICROUS SPEED

Say that to my t420 with a 500gb samsung mSATA and 2gb WD HDD.

>motherboard in desktop dies (thanks asrock)
>have to use x60t for work
>only stinkpad i own, barely used it in years
>1400x1050 looks better than any other laptop i've ever used
>even after falling for the gaming laptop meme when i was a teen
>4:3 is objectively better for laptop use
>best laptop keyboard and possibly best rubberdome keyboard ever made
>nipple mouse beats the hell out of trackpad on any laptop
>entire desk minus side monitors can be plugged into base and disconnected in 1 second
>tablet conversion all but perfected in 2006
>build quality high enough to bludgeon chads
>laptop is ten years old
>10 fucking years

after having used at least 2 dozen more recent laptops, what the fuck was anyone else thinking? not even newer thinkpads come close. With an SSD there's no need to upgrade whatsoever for anything you actually use a laptop for.

anyway, how to solve 55 minute battery life? are new OEM batteries any better?

Upgrading the wireless card does wonders for any *60 generation Thinkpad. The Intel card they used was really, really shitty.

Some fagboy is making a FHD kit mod for the x220, its been months, still no order thread.

Replace the lithium cells.

Ok is there another model I should look at that gets better?

you can probably find one on ebay for a lot cheaper
I got mine for $100 because it didn't have a ram/hdd cover.
The battery in it was chink, but I'd gget 9-10 hours out of it just lightly browsing the web

>2gb HDD
nice desu

Plenty of 3rd party batteries are fine. I bought a few different ones to accompany my stock one for my x61 I took to japan for a few weeks... ended up just using all 4 batteries i had.

I have one x61 (using to post this) and two r61's (like them more than t61 because thicker & cooler temperature wise)

first like another user said, upgrade the wireless card. if you get a triple antenna card, just hook up the first two antennas.

get a top end CPU for it because unless you're going Core 2 Extreme you are not paying more than 10, 12 bucks for a top end cpu. i have t9500 or t9300 in all mine. you will need a decent amount of thermal paste because you need to cover 2 chips.

Lastly if you haven't done it install middleton bios because not only do you need it for the wireless whitelist but it unlocks sata ii speeds which helps tons when you have a ssd.

If youre rich as fuck you can go to 51nb and get a x62 kit.

Devuan

Also, is it possible to use an msata ssd with a T61?

ssd windows + ssd linux + hdd anime reporting for duty

Delet dis

Regarding t61's

Do ebay sellers have a habit of leaving out the fact it is one with an nvidia gpu inside? Like, the ones who typically sell a lot of thinkpads and tend to put up all the info do they just skip the "oh it's also the one with an nvidia gpu" part knowing people who know what's up will not want to buy it?