/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

*sees arch*
*sees debian*
ugnnngghhh
*poops*

stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.

stallman is an egoist in denial, afraid of admitting that he just wants some fucking source code instead of a world where he has to rely on other people because he knows he wouldn't get it that way.

his system has some practical merits but his attempts at creating moral justifications are completely pathetic and nonsensical. how low do you have to be to have to make up bullshit "oughts" when you can just say "it would be fucking better"?

This thread will be friendly.

I know, gentoo is the only good linux distro.

Reminder:
People that what to get things done and do real work use windows.

Linus writes beautiful code. He has published some side projects that he wrote all on his own and the code is just wonderful. He also lives in the real world while still maintaining his open source ideals and supporting himself through his work.

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.

Friendly reminder about out /wg/ thread.
OC welcome!

Don't spend it on whore all once.

All developers in my company use linux for both desktop and servers and we get along just fine with our six figures.

true, and it triggers Stall"man"

Is Deepin a nice WM?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Terry A. Davis for Sup Forums mascot 2016, stomping CIA niggers one line of assembly at a time.

*hacks g*u*
*adds in binary blobs created by a pajeet*
hehe

Sorry, my mistake. I will be better in the future Mr Stolmin

nice quads
Terry A. Davis for Sup Forums mascot 2016, stomping CIA niggers one line of assembly at a time.

Kekd

What's the best distro for my new job? Pic related is who I'll be working as soon.

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

The one you arent using

GNU/Linux X-Keyscore

>CIA
Most major distros have SELinux support, it's just not activated by default. Gentoo has both SELinux and hardened profiles for extra security
>crashing a plane with no survivors
the distro that replaced backtrack, whatwasitsname

Arch is a meme, don't fall for it guys.

windows 95

So should I just install hardened gentoo then, will it have SELinux enabled by default? Are there any downsides to running it as opposed to regular gentoo?

It's called Kali if I recall correctly.

Can confirm. It broke into pieces at the first update. Into the trash it goes.

Windows 8.1

>PEBKAC

What's the best bantamweight distro for daily use?

*crashes this thread... WITH NO SURVIVORS*
hehehe

Same happened to me. I'm using ubuntu now, it just werks. Arch is a joke.

Gentoo is the only good distro left. I'm not memeing.
Mad archnigger furry.

Windows 7

what's the best systemd distro for one-time use?

based Gentoo Linux poster being his based self

I dropped Ubuntu because, for some reason, it's slow as fuck compared to Arch Linux and updating it breaks itself. I'm fucking sick of getting the report window after unity updates.

Hey Sup Forums,
What's the best distro to use that requires me to wear a suit and tie but has a casual friday?

>gentoo
>not memeing
good one

>mad
What is there to be mad about?
>9 year old installation
>broke once with xorg 1.8 only in the TESTING REPO
>main repos never had any issues
Anything that broke, was soemthing i misconfigured
Its all about user competence, which clearly is not something you're able to control

suicide linux

Nigger OS

Gentoo have profiles for simple hardened and hardened with selinux. The hardened kernel most likely have selinux enabled by default.

Consult the gentoo handbook about what to do exactly.

How about Python? It comes broken out of the box with Arch. Users shouldn't need to fix their OS to make it useable when they install it.

>muh python
here we go, again

>Are there any downsides to running it as opposed to regular gentoo?

You can select only 1 profile, so if you select a hardened profile and want a graphic desktop too, you need to enable the USE flags needed for a functional desktop systekmmanually in config files which can be a pain in the ass.

>using a distro that needs 6 months to get security updates
nope.png

Only on stable, and this is the same for any other stable distro besides debain. And why would you even use stable packages when the newer packages are really as stable.

>python
Such weak "proof".
I see it stems down to user competence yet again

unlink /usr/bin/python
ln -s /usr/bin/python2.7 /usr/bin/python

But you keep whining.

Python 3 is the latest version.
Why would i use an old version?
Admin/devs need to update their scripts to v3. That simple

If python devs wanted 2.7 to be the main version, they would not have created 3.0, would they have not?

Linux-1.0-1 works fine, why are you using anything past it?

you shit on all distros
>debian shit
>arch shit
>gentoo shit
>fedora shit
>ubuntu shit
>mint shit
>opensuse shit
what's a good distro then?

>for the time being, all distributions should ensure that python refers to the same target as python2
python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/

Users shouldn't need to fix their OS to make it useable when they install it.

I made the switch from Ubuntu to Devuan. How can I get comfortable with OpenRC?

start using Gentoo

Devuan with MATE

the one you like.
fanboys are literally autism.

yeah better use a already broken distro (arch) than a insecure distro (gentoo), lol
opensuse master race

Then why did they create v3 if it is not ment to be used?
>weak

devs should not force a user to use old technology when there is a superior updated version available.I have yet to have to edit any python file nor did i symlink 2.7. Not a single problem

One example, and these vulnerabilities are rarely exploited unless your download packages outside of gentoo's repos.

gentoo is currently the best devuan is a close second
>opensuse
>not insecure just by virtue of having anything to do with systemd
"top lel" as they say lmao

1. install openrc
2. reboot your system using the long command it tells you to use
3. no further actions necessary, it's fully integrated. familiar debian tools like invoke-rc.d and update-rc.d woks as intended and of course you can use rc-service rc-update and rc-status like in gentoo

python3 is installed on all other distros not just arch
you call python3 with python3, but arch devs are too retarded to realize that python3 is incompatible to python, so they break all older programs because of their incompetence

I have 10 mega net, but when im downloading something with torrent my speed is like 0.3 mega(no limit on torrent client).
What can be problem?

but gentoo shit
and devuan is just debian and shit too

Arch dev already admitted the python failure.
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

They don't care about the users or standards.

>they even link sh to bash, kek

some ISPs catch torrent transfers and limit your speed with them.

also not loonix, try /sqt/. A similar issue was discussed there a few days ago IIRC.

Trying to patch my kernel. What is the difference between patch and incr patch?

but gentoo based
and devuan is just uncucked debian and semi-based too

>python3 is incompatible to python,
Surely it is not, if it was, the python developers would not have created it.Why would they create a successor and then tell no one to use it?
Why are we not using python v1 then?
Admins and Devs are being lazy fucks, and people are enabling them

Will there ever be new content in /fglt/. I'm having a deja-vu and I'm having it since months and it doesn't stop happening.

This thread isn't friendly at all

>Then why did they create v3 if it is not ment to be used?

Did you read what I linked? python will eventually be a link to python3 but Python still recommends linking it to python2, that's why all the distros (except Arch) make python a link to python2. The Arch devs enforce their views on their users.

>some ISPs catch torrent transfers and limit your speed with them.

Lol, im in Serbia, there is nothing like that.

>arch users
>people
lelele

Then why did they release 3 before it was supposed to be released?

that's why linux shit
million distros all shit

i was a friendly poster here before
now im a macos user

>im in Serbia
So was the so called war actually real? Never met a Serb before so I have to ask

If you have no idea about python, don't post.
It IS incompatible, that's why it's called python3 instead of just updating the old link "python" like they did it from v1-2.7

user, if it was incompatible with v1 and v2, why did they call it python v3 and not python-next-1.0-1?

do you use ADSL by any chance? download speed with ADSL gets low if you use up all your upload bandwidth. Try setting up a global upload limit while there are active downloads.

Also, try a "legal" torrent, like libreoffice, gimp or a linux distro like debian. They all offer torrent downloads with plenty of seeds and shit. Check your speed with them.

As i said, Serbia.
>pic

well, i downloaded like 250 gigs in last few days, been seeding like 150+ torrents for last 72 hours. And it is adsl

>een seeding like 150+ torrents for last 72 hours. And it is adsl

That's the problem. Limit your upload (below the 80% of your total upload) while you download.

So the UN faked the "war" in the 90s. As I suspected.

Example:

python -m http.server 8080
This is actually Python3, the command works only on arch because following the standard (like on every other distro) you call it
python3 -m http.server 8080

This is Python (all versions below 3):
python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080
It works on all distros except Arch, Arch users need to call it:
python2 -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080

Enjoy your incompatibility and broken programs.

DELETE

>So the UN faked the "war" in the 90s. As I suspected.
No, and it is not "war", it is wars.
vs muslims in bosnia
vs croats
vs dirty albanian goatfuckers

ARCH is bleeding edge only the NEWEST SOFTWARE is allowed, python2 is old ;)

I get it about python but what's wrong with linking sh to bash?

Can some Arch user test if this works?
#!/bin/sh

for ((i=0; i

you could just make an alias if compatibility was important to you.

speed, breakage, shit

>Sended

Where do you werk?

>breakage
[citation needed]

tfw i use arch and ubuntu in the same time

That's the point. Your example should NOT work since arithetic loops are bashisms which don't work in standard POSIX sh. Allowing this to run enables unexpected behaivors and breakage.

Arch is a meme made by developers who don't know what they are doing.

It's like linking perl to ruby.

ok thanks
just confirmed that you guys don't know shit