I was tasked with making this SONY Vaio FS "not run slowly"

I was tasked with making this SONY Vaio FS "not run slowly".

Other urls found in this thread:

blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-xp-x86-32-bit-service-pack-3-service-configurations/
youtube.com/watch?v=5dCSLJMVua4
mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/sony/vaio-laptop/vgn-fs-series
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

install gentoo

install gentoo

>disco local

kek

install ssd

I should probably install BASIC in it.

Install MenuetOS

muchos tacos en esta PC.

install TempleOS

If you can't change operating systems, just put an SSD in. If you can, install xubuntu or something.

Good luck, that piece of shit is literally more than 10 years old

It's for normies, I'll see if I can get a modern version of botnet in there, but I don't think that'll do much.

Thx, I'll need it. Everytime you close a window it slowly erases away.

Easy, just wipe the windows install and put xp back on it. It was fast when they bought it, so this will bring it back to this state.

Putting a more modern version of windows will just make it choke worse. Light weight linux is the only thing modern that will run smoothly on old crap hardware.

And if you're worried they'll get confused just change the background to the stock XP background and rice it to look more like windows, then just leave firefox or chrome where they expect to find it.

ubuntu mate

Reinstall Windows. That always makes it run faster. Pentium M's are good little CPU's, clock for clock faster than the P4.

>vaio
Linux is out of the question. Just reinstall XP or put a newer windows on it and cut the hell out of services. FreeDOS can be an alternative since the pc is probably useless anyway.

I know they have some garbage installed in here, but i'm more worried about this thing simply not being able to do web browsing very well at all anymore. At least in up to date sites like facebook.

I had liked idea, what's wrong with Linux on Vaio? I used to run Debian on a Vaio a while back and it worked fine.

wipe it, open it up and clean it, maybe see if you can get new thermal paste, put in an SSD instead and possibly upgrade for more RAM.

put it back together and reinstall 7 on the SSD.

ram is your bottleneck, web browsing alone is going to use that up very quick, lots of swap file usage and disk thrashing

you gotta educate the users not to install crap, some light AV (yeah it'll kill performance but long term save the machine)

use some black viper guide to get ram usage on boot below 100mb (very do-able)

That's easy, Startup programs, registry, temp files and bloat programs.

Install Windows 7 Enterprise and disable fucking everything

I was told by the users that there was a lot of crap installed on the computer, but now checking it, it does have some, but I think it's mostly SONY bloatware.

I don't even think Win7 runs on half a GB of RAM. I'll have to ask if they're interested in upgrading it at all.

Meme

This

msconfig.exe
uncheck all fucking malware
run mbsa
run malware bytes
run hijackthis
defrag
run avira
run eset32

Add more RAM

from what i know sony builds some hardware themselves and do not write drivers for linux at all, at least for laptops. Usually keyboard multimedia keys or card readers, at least from my experience. Also as a fellow family tech person i know that usually nothing good comes from forcing linux on people. I mean i had success only because some people just used their pcs for internet and office, and they used openoffice/libreoffice anyway.

Also ssd is a great idea, more ram is a good option too since it may be using hdd when it runs out of ram. I imagine processor is only required for watching movies (if you have no good gpu installed) on the internet so they shouldn't notice "slowness" because of their shitty cpu.

Good god that ram is just terrible and the poor hdd's swap file needs a break

>57313124
>w7
>Celeron
>500mb RAM
Retards.

OP, back EVERYTHING up and install TinyXP. You can easily get your resource usage down to about 100mb RAM.
Then install Vivaldi and use Greasemonkey scripts to disable the bloat of Web 2.0
Or Chrome and do the same thing, but vivaldi is overall lighter.

Also

SSD is not going to help here, this is a processor-limited system.
More RAM would be helpful but good fucking luck finding any DDR SODIMM's for less than a jillion bucks.
Everybody in this thread has apparently never used old hardware on modern websites so you /need/ to use some browser extensions to strip out all the excess scripts and bloat. Consider using something like YouTube Center script to default all videos to 480p. That thing is going to chug on 720p.

>Windows XP
>500MB of RAM

There's your problem.

Start with more RAM. Then some form of Ubuntu with automatic login and whatever the skin that TAILS uses to pretend it's Windows XP. If you need more speed, add an SSD.

But really, the processor is as much of a bottleneck as the IO pressure caused by the lack of RAM. When you have a computer that's 6 times slower than a shit-tier chinkphone you can't really expect websites to cater for your hardware.

Good call user.

I don't think the user would be interested in upgrading this thing anyway, I'll have to ask him some questions.

Never used TinyXP before, but I don't think it can run Microsoft office, can it?

TinyXP is just a super stripped down version of XP. There's no reason you wouldn't be able to install and run Office.

reinstall XP and whatever applications they want to use
put whoever owns it on a limited account so they can't install malware and bloat shit
throw in some more RAM while you're at it

install ChromeOS.

>SSD is not going to help here, this is a processor-limited system.
nah, the PM is going to be plenty fast enough unless you're really into shitty web apps, a PATA SSD and more RAM would probably give them a great speed boost, that thing is probably just fucked up from years of mistreatment and is going to swap like a motherfucker with newer browsers

t. regularly shitpost from a 500 MHz PIII Xeon

>Vivaldi
>XP
Retard.

>regularly shitpost from a 500 MHz PIII Xeon
Yes but this isn't an user's computer. It's some old persons. An old person who undoubtedly will go to foxnews or cnn or youtube or whatever, which will be limited by the processor, not the hdd.

Then use Opera if Vivaldi won't work on XP, fuckin whatever.
Getting Linux running on a laptop that old, and Sony at that, is going to be potentially a nightmare amount of work, and that piece of shit isn't going to run any newer operating systems better than it'll run XP.

on that much ram you can only run xp.
Open the case try to find the type of ram and its bus speed if there are more slots to put some in upgrade the ram.
Dont ever think about installing an antivirus.
If you cant upgrade the ram reinstall windows xp or linux xubuntu is your best bet.
If you stay on xp put deep freeze on the c: drive so you dont have to worry about malware.

Instálale Gentoo

>An old person who undoubtedly will go to foxnews or cnn or youtube or whatever, which will be limited by the processor, not the hdd.
you're right to an extent since shitty modern browsers really abuse CPU but it doesn't mean a storage upgrade is going to be meaningless, browsing on old hardware is still very memory bound and really likes to abuse swap, OP's got a DDR2 system and likely SATA too acccording to subsequent googling and that's plenty of headroom in that respect

the PM isn't really as bad a chip as you seem to think it is either, it's not going to produce miracles but it's not going to be unbearable with those sites you listed either, I've dailyed many a P4 (easily destroyed by the M) in this decade and they still have a lot of life in them if you aren't retarded, with adblock and noscript it will at least be far more survivable if it sounds now

Install ReactOS

>but good fucking luck finding any DDR SODIMM's for less than a jillion bucks.
literally under $20 for 2 GB of DDR 333 on ebay

Disable uneccesarry animations and services

I actually used a notebook like this while working in a small computer store in my town. It ran windows 8, I now, pretty OK, considering how old it was. They just upgraded the ram to 4gb and threw a ssd in it. Was actually a nice experience. With Linux it should be even better.

Definitely add RAM
2 GiB should be enough

My question: Why?

The cost to any hardware upgrades would be better spent on an improved second hand replacement.

upgrade to Windows 10. You're gonna need virus protection, I recommend installing Norton. Lastly, since this is a web-faring machine, protect yourself by installing Search Protect by Conduit Ltd, and optimize search results with the Web Bar, designed by Web Bar Media

Don't forget the Babylon toolbar for added productivity and enhanced web browsing experience.

Format and reinstall then disable unnecessary services or set their startup to manual like printing, fax, remote services, bluetooth and such alike that don't need to be running as a background service. Try to run it as minimal as possible and avoid the proprietary software laptops usually run.

haha thats funny because everyone who speaks Spanish is Mexican xddd

Not happening.
A $200 laptop would be WAY faster.

Spanish REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
WE GOT TO GET RID OF THOSE FILTHY MEXICANS, REEEEEEEEEEE
I HATE THAT PEOPLE SO MUCH THEY INVADED USA.

I have a box of SODIMMs from EDO to DDR3, what do you need?

That laptop probably has a 1-2GB ram limit. Look on kijiji for the max amount of ram, you can maybe get it for $5. I think you can overclock pentium m's by shorting some of the processor pins, without too much added heat. Look into that.

If it was my machine I'd wipe it and install Windows 2009 POS. It has support until 2019. Or maybe linux mint if, as I assume, it's just being used for youtube.

>Lazy Mexicans
>Lazy Spanish who can't even be bothered from their nap in the event of a world war

Are there any go getter primary Spanish speaking countries out there? or just all shit holes?

I think his point stands.

Put a Linux distro on it, whoever is using that probably doesn't do much other than browsing the web and word processing anyway.

install win98 mustardrace

You could try Tiny7. I haven't used it personally, but I used TinyXP on a number of old Pentium 4 machines.

libreshit isn't going to make bloated shitty web browsers any less bloated and shitty

Tell them you need 300 dollars to do the job and get them a laptop off of eBay then transfer their files over the job is not possible otherwise it's too old and had a dead OS

No, but it would probably leave more system resources available so it doesn't run AS shitty. There is only so much you can do with those specs.

>I was tasked with making this SONY Vaio FS "not run slowly".
well clearly you aren't up to the task

i get pissed every time i see someone on Sup Forums asking what to do for a client

>Mexicans
>Shitty deprecated hardware
Seems alright

Opera is still Chromium, faggot. Firefox is the best choice.
>Windows 7
>on this computer
naw mayne.

Smells like Venezuela in here

This is why I'm voting for trump

1. Uninstall everything

2. If you can get your hands on another version of xp then do it, or restore from the original disk (which was probably thrown away in 2006)

3. remove every program which starts at startup by going Start → Run, type: "msconfig" > press enter > untick/remove everything

4. Download and perform a full scan with ccleaner and malware bytes

5. Follow this guide to the letter: blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-xp-x86-32-bit-service-pack-3-service-configurations/

6. follow this guide to install new ram
youtube.com/watch?v=5dCSLJMVua4
new ram can be gotten here for about $20
mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/sony/vaio-laptop/vgn-fs-series

7. Get a new cheap desktop. The price of an old office-tier i3/i5 with 8gb of memory and a dell case would only be $100. I've literally pulled machines out of skips and got them working that were 50x faster than your laptop.

8. run windows 10 from an external ssd.

9. if you can't do any of that look into puppy linux

I wasn't asking what to do, I was just sharing the lulz. But I appreciate the help.

Way more to the south.

I definitely don't have the disc, but hey, this thing does have the key on the back, I'm not sure if this works in WinXP but I imagine I can just download any XP iso and install it using that, right?

Honestly probably won't upgrade it at all because that would actually cost money, and i'm not sure if it's worth it. I'll ask the owner what exactly he wants to do with it and yeah I'll try to strip as much as possible to make it run as fast as it can.

maybe so, I just don't really feel the OS makes that big of a difference in my own experience, my old boxes rip the shit out of their Windows installations and are very responsive until you get on the web, that's their biggest downfall by far

but whatever, really just depends on what the guy uses it for, if he only goes on the internet, maybe it's worth a try

Sell your kidney so you can afford another 512mb of ram

Good to know user!
Thanks for this post. Where can I subscribe?

You could, and xp is probably the most common iso out there - but you don't want it to say 'unregistered'.

The ideal solution would be to just tell him the truth, which is that Microsoft ended support for windows xp quite some time ago and his machine is very old and vulnerable to attack - the best course of action would be to simply upgrade it.

Even if you cleaned it to work like new, it will never run faster than it did when it was new and the modern internet assumes machines are much more powerful than they were when it was made meaning that the 'best' it can run without a hardware upgrade is slow.

1.75Ghz (gonna run like balls anyway)

500MB

yeah its gonna run bad
get them 2GB ram if it can support
else
1.5 GB this is the bear miniuim for a modern facebook machine it will still run like shit though lol but at least it will work.
or
1 GB (its not gonna run facebook good or at all or any flashed/ HTTP based websites but it will stop being slow)

Guys living in Brazil or some shit.

Computers hardware there is crazy expensive which probably explains why he has this old machine in the first place.

fuck off penal colony nigger

ubuntu mate and firefox

Are you getting paid? If not tell the guy to fuck off.

If he doesn't agree to having his shit backed up, and to having XP overridden and GNU/Linux installed, tell him to fuck off.

Install Lubuntu on it, put his files on it similar to how they were on XP and give it back to him.

Not for sure, even OpenBSD supports my Vaio PC

Your autism is too complex for me to translate

Gentoo runs slower than XP on that hardware. If you install locally it takes nearly a day to compile packages. Besides it probably came from an elderly customer. Good luck getting them to use anything other than Windows

Because PATA will support an SSD. Fuck off back to your containment board gaymer trash

>Because PATA will support an SSD. Fuck off back to your containment board gaymer trash
...Yeah? Do you think flash memory modules have a built-in SATA controller or something? And what do you think Compact Flash is? SSDs have been a thing for years.

You can still buy PATA SSDs and they'll still offer a nice boost over standard hard disks as well as other advantages like shock-proofing.

If you're going to try to look big and smart on the internet, at least do a google search first before you autistically go off the handle.

Hell even if PATA SSDs weren't a thing you can still get mSATA to PATA adapters

"Sorry, there's not much I can do, you really need to buy a new laptop."

> add used ram
> trash dive for used SSDs

Cclean that bitch.