LEDS are technology

>fancy expensive Philips LEDs advertise CRI of 80
>cheap Ikea brand LEDs get tested for CRI of 85-95

how is this possible?

geek-mag.com/posts/252686/

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/gds/Difference-Between-Incandescent-and-Halogen-Type-Bulbs-/10000000177628291/g.html
newyorker.com/business/currency/the-l-e-d-quandary-why-theres-no-such-thing-as-built-to-last
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-zt6etITQAhXo7IMKHfaaD5QQFggzMAM&url=http://inhabitat.com/mit-makes-a-warm-incandescent-light-bulb-nearly-3x-more-efficient-than-leds/&usg=AFQjCNFbdjR0ubM6z2854xYaws4YrjayDw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Probably partly because of the colour temperature difference.

Harder to have a high CRI when the colour temp is higher.

If you want high colour temp with great CRI you need to look at the Decor series cobs from Bridgelux. (up to 4000K)

If you want to assemble the light yourself.

why would anyone want higher color temperature? higher than 2700K is just too fucking blue and gives people headaches

plus, the philips and ikea lamps have the same color temp (2700K)

Maybe the Philips has higher efficiency to justify it.

Otherwise it's just the brand.

And iirc Philips (at least recently) hasn't been some LED leader.

Bridgelux offers better products, so does Cree (but their ship seems to be going down), so does Nichia and Citiled does too.

>Want to buy leds
>2 of 16 pack have huge flashing problems

Who /yellowlights/ here
With white light I feel like I'm on a morgue or a supermarket

They make my light to look white, so yeah they are great, also they are usually cheaper and use less energy.

Fuck all that packaging.

It just werks and no low-quality chinkshit electronics inside.

op here, kek I already decided to go incandescent.

best CRI, and pleasant shit

>it just werks and no low-quality chinkshit electronics inside

>not just creating a miniature sun in your house/apartment
>not having beautiful full-spectrum light that uses zero electricity

>horse
that's the opposite of what he said

I have enough old bulbs to last me years, if not decades. Not going to buy some memes that will be considered a "hazard" in the future.

If you're going to use classic bulbs, use halogen

>If you're going to use classic bulbs, use halogen
no thanks

ebay.com/gds/Difference-Between-Incandescent-and-Halogen-Type-Bulbs-/10000000177628291/g.html

Does anyone else's neck/face (forehead in paricular) get hot in a smallish size room (e.g. a home office) full of incandescent light bulbs?

Incandescent bulb are literally dumping 100 joules of energy into the room every second why are you surprised

HAHAHAHAHHA

Now were cookin, porky

>Probably partly because of the colour temperature difference.
"I have no fucking idea, but I'll comment anyway"
Philips 2700K bulbs are all 82 CRI, Ikea Ledaire 2700k bulbs are all 92-93 CRI.
The difference is the Ledaires have proportionally more deep red output.

>And iirc Philips (at least recently) hasn't been some LED leader.
Philips is the parent company of Luxeon.

are old school (standard/classic) Incandescent bulbs dimmable by nature?

yes

Not even fat.

Plus room isn't even that small, just smallish.

Why not just fuck off and get a corn bulb from the chinks?

yea it works great as a heater

INCAN & LPS MASTARD RACE!

How much UV radiation do LED bulbs give off compared to CFL, Halogen, and incandescent?

I put one in an old space heater and took out the coils. So now it's a 75 watt heater for under my desk and takes the chill off. The light in a lightbulb is a tiny bit of energy. All the rest is heat.

thisLEDs have a very specific spectrum.

LEDs do produce a small amount of UV, but they emit even less. That's because the amount that is produced is converted to white light by the phosphors inside the lamp.

It would be nice if light sockets weren't at mains potential so we could reduce the amount of components they have to stuff into these things to keep the leds from going kablooy and reduce wasted energy in the form of heat oozing off of resistors. Arent the caps and resistors typically the failure mode in these things?

I still use incandescent bulbs and will continue to use them for years to come. I live in the northeast so I don't really care about the heat and I just don't trust led bulbs yet. In my house I only have 1 compact fluorescent bulb in my laundry room but everywhere else I use incandescents.

I import them for Hungary

also this guy again

LED bulbs lifespans will shorten soon just like incandescent bulbs. The short lifespan of incandescent bulbs were planned by a cartel and now the same is happening with leds. I don't use them but for people in this thread who do I suggest you stock up on them now because you won't find 15-20 year led bulbs soon.

newyorker.com/business/currency/the-l-e-d-quandary-why-theres-no-such-thing-as-built-to-last

holy fuck
thanks for the link bro this is why I love Sup Forums

>Harder to have a high CRI when the colour temp is higher.

It's typically easier as the phosphor over the blue LED source has to be more complex to get lower color temps. They're also less efficient the higher the CRI because they end up cutting the light output.

>And iirc Philips (at least recently) hasn't been some LED leader.

Philips has been lagging the other fixture manufacturers badly. Even the Philips architectural fixtures have only recently started offering higher CRI options. And even then only in a few lines. The Color Kinetics stuff is still competitive. But is also more expensive. On the consumer side, they do have some interesting warm-dimming retrofit lamps. But still at low CRI.

>It just werks

It does. And dimming compatibility isn't quite there yet for retrofit A19 lamps. I'm not sure there are any that can dim beyond 10%.

>How much UV radiation do LED bulbs give off compared to CFL, Halogen, and incandescent?

Very, very little if designed properly. Though some manufacturers have had issues with heat from IR causing damage to the diodes over time.

>The short lifespan of incandescent bulbs were planned by a cartel and now the same is happening with leds.

Why do you have to show up in every thread?

>google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-zt6etITQAhXo7IMKHfaaD5QQFggzMAM&url=http://inhabitat.com/mit-makes-a-warm-incandescent-light-bulb-nearly-3x-more-efficient-than-leds/&usg=AFQjCNFbdjR0ubM6z2854xYaws4YrjayDw

I'll just leave this here

I order my LEDs directly from shenzhen. There is no LED cartel there

I already saw it in the stores. The old GE LED advertised something like 20 years or so. The new boxes advertise something closer to 10 but I can't remember.

My LED bulbs have been running 7 years, already paid for themselves

IMO, cree is best

I wish I didn't have sensitive eyes/brain

LED fucks me, i can barely use any LED shit at all.

99% of backlit tv's give me brutal headaches within minutes and makes me feel like I'm falling and spinning while looking at it

Same with the lights.

I thought it's to do with the flicker but it seems that's not the only problem I think maybe the spectrum of light led's often give out is also a big issue.

So far the only TV with LED backlighting I've been able to use is a 65" 4k sony bravia directly backlit TV that runs @ 100hz all the rest have raped me

LED light bulbs in a lot of places are raping me. Shops like to use cheap shit so they end up with a flickery mess or lights that are just not that comfortable for anybody.

>tfw the government is forcing all non led bulbs out
>telling me what I can and can't light my home with

Literally stocking up on halogen light bulbs for the inevitable non led light bulb difficulty I'm going to face in the future. I'm not the only one either though it's uncommon but a fair amount of people have trouble with LED lighting.

There's some other drawbacks to LED lighting like it's more directional (which is bad for lighting up homes easily but obviously is better in some other cases)

I light my kitchen with LED bulbs though I have found some I can stomach for long periods without any real bad effects but I wouldn't feel comfortable using them all the time for my entire house. I have used them two years now a total of 8 to light the area and I have had 4 die on me in that time. I don't think they are lasting any longer than other lights realistically. I also had to change another two because they started to squeal like a bitch and these are not cheap light bulbs. There's a lot more inside them a lot more that can fuck up.

I also have a little bit more worry with LED lighting regarding them starting fires

They make shit car headlights too the lights trail like a cunt and it is distracting as fuck because they use mean PWM.

The company is called Lumileds, Luxeon is the product family name

My biggest issue with LED lighting outside of the fact they rape my eyes is LED street lights

Two reasons:

1. LED street lights are often literal fucking suns that you can't even block out with black out curtains alone. I lived somewhere that literally made my black out curtain glow. I had to block my window up on a night.

2. Streets will never be a comfy orange glow ever again. The night really doesn't need to look like the day anyway

>LPS MASTARD RACE
>Streets will never be a comfy orange glow ever again.

Low pressure sodium is one of the worst lighting types in existence for color reproduction. The only reason to use it is near observatories so they can easily filter out the one or two wavelengths in which these lamps emit light.

And municipalities are coming around to using warmer sources now that we have data proving 5000K street lamps are worse for people and nocturnal animals.

>99% of backlit tv's give me brutal headaches within minutes and makes me feel like I'm falling and spinning while looking at it
Stop smoking that shit, do you hear me?

>tfw EU is trying to outlaw incandescent light bulbs
it's like they want to numb people with that low CRI cancer (and the expensive fucking bulbs that don't even last longer anymore)

>not being able to set your bulbs' colour temperature as you feel when you feel.

5000K for doing shit in the day, 2200K during the night.

CRI is more important

Why?

because there's more to how you feel around light than just its visible color. when the light is missing a lot of the spectrum, you feel shit even though the color temp is good.

but WAIT!
now you can get old and new in the same bulb!

shitty gimmick.

shitty post

anyone using 6500K LED bulbs for growing plants?

I fell for the high CRI meme.

Bought some LED bulbs with high CRI, no colour temp. mentioned.
I thought it would be okay.

But it wasn't, the light temp. was 2700K max. I think, all yellowish, totally shit if you don't want to fall asleep!

I bought $60 can light leds. Looks okay, but they fucking buzz.

I tried cfl meme. It was shit. I tried led meme. Something is always shitty.

Converting house back to incandescen and making a stockpile. Fuck it.

CRI is a meme.

It can be important, but in most cases when a light looks poor it's not because of CRI.

What people notice most is CCT (correlated color temperature) and the overall "tint" of the light.

An incandescent lamp produces light via heat which effectively makes it a blackbody radiator. It inherently produces a "natural" light since the light spectrum correlates as perfectly as possible to a natural light source. An incandescent lamp with a filament burning at 2900 Kelvin inherently produces a virtually perfect light spectrum at 2900 Kelvin.

Other light sources such as fluorescent and LED do not have an actual "color temperature". Rather, they have a correlated color temperature (CCT) which is in essence the temperature that they come the closest to representing. Because they rely on phosphors, their light spectrums are not inherently perfect and often far from it. In many cases, even if a lamp is "2700K" and even if it does truly correlate most closely to 2700K, it may still look noticeably different from an incandescent lamp burning at 2700K because the spectrum is not perfect. This is what people perceive as "unnatural tints" and one of the biggest real world complaints with non-incandescent light sources.

CRI is determined by the spectrum of the phosphors, but it is not actually directly related to the CCT. You can have a lamp with a good tint but low CRI. You can also have a lamp with a high CRI but poor tint (this is actually very common in the world of flashlights) which most people will find to look far worse than the low CRI light with a good tint.

Yeah wasting all that energy on heat and getting like a milliwatt of light out of it

look at the actual chart of "high CRI" LED and then at the one for classic incandescant bulbs

it's nowhere the same even though the CRI number is very close

my post is not necessary as I see this guy explains it better