Subjectively speaking, what's the best language you ever worked with and why?

Subjectively speaking, what's the best language you ever worked with and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jmunkki/Avara
youtube.com/watch?v=SKY1UJnzd9A
perldoc.perl.org/perlop.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

python, and a close second C

Assembly in x86

because I have autism.

This. C for MCU and demanding apps and python for casual scripting.

C - because it's been the least surprising language; I haven't had a wtf moment with the language in over 15 years now. It does exactly what I tell it to. It's just a shame it's tedious for use in developing most projects of a significant size.

C# has stayed out of the way of development for the most part and is pretty straightforward... something just feels off about it; I don't feel like it's "comfy" to develop in. Kind of a cold sterile language like a hospital room.

Not enough experience with SBCL or Racket to comment on them but so far they've been comfy.

C++. It is objectively better than C.

Go (golang), because it's simple and easy to learn, fast, has a shitload of libs, has great tools for compiling/debugging/auditing, etc

>no pun intended

6502 assembly code, optionally with a sprinkling of SWEET-16 - because I appreciate the elegant things in life.

A week or so ago someone inquired about 6502 and learning it. If you are here, check out 6502.org and the forum.

I like the syntax of C-inspired languages.
I prefer Java-style conventions because it lets you differentiate between a variable, a class, and a method by just looking at it.

I like that Java and C# both have very capable standard libraries, but C# building asynchronous features directly into the language is very nice.

Python, lisp (scheme) and C++ w/Qt

C because it is the best language

look at shit like this github.com/jmunkki/Avara

youtube.com/watch?v=SKY1UJnzd9A

and it's 1.6 mb

Perl, because it's edgy as fuck.

Nah, they had their chance.

>Avara
Not that impressive given there is no textures or sound t.b.h. senpai.

French

OCaml.
Simple enough to do stuff without reading PLT papers and learning type theory. Expressive enough to reap the benefits of real types. Safe enough to not care about correctness of the program — if it compiles, you have probably done everything right.
Unfortunately its ecosystems sucks. But with FB's Reason project I'll be able to enjoy OCamlish language once again soon.

English

German

English

>Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
Is this phrase grammatically correct? If no, can you explain why? If yes, do you still like English language?

well then why does the github repo have a "sounds" folder?

It has shooting sounds and minimalistic flat-color textures.

>Best allround
C++
What can't you do with it?
>Prettiest
Java
Subjective, but I find it aesthetic
>API
Python
import api
api,use()
>First
Lua - 8th grade
Wrapping love.physics as well as many basic programming concepts in my head was difficult in middle school also played with the interpreter

Also going to say Go. A very clean language with a strong opinionated (though minimal) set of features, and a very wonderful standard library. Great debugging tools, portability, concurrency, and very fast.

I would recommend at least taking a look, as I foresee it being something that sticks around for quite a while.

Perl.
It has no variable types, unlike C or Python (which has them, hides them from you, and requires you to change them). Instead it has scale - a single value, an array or a dictionary. If you are grabbing a single value out of an array you need to mark it as a single value. It makes it really easy to tell what you are dealing with.

It has shorthand and default variables (ie you can call a function requiring input arguments, assign none, and then use the default variable to get the return value). Something like while() { print $_ } uses both. It echos whatever you type into the terminal as part of an infinite loop.

It has extra control statements like unless. This is useful when writing a logic block with exception clauses. In C you would usually write the core logic, then go back to the beginning and add in IF statements for the exceptions. In perl you would write the core logic in an unless statement and then list the exceptions. It better maps thought to code. Yes it is equivalent to if(!), but that lowers cohesion.

And the instruction set is quite low given how powerful it is.

x86 has a huge instruction set. No thanks.
I like PIC12 because of the way it handles pointers. It separates addresses from values, which is what makes pointers so confusing.

If C# gets an update it won't just scrap a function you were using, it will change the approach significantly. And the documentation wont reflect this.

The syntax is confusing (operator overloading) and the libraries are stagnant. Vectors, really?

Probably Rust.

At first I hated it. Fighting with the compiler was definitely annoying. But after I actually learned what I was doing, it quickly became my favorite language.

there's always these language wars but i just dont get it. Anytime in my school or work history, if there was some certain language used on a product, i was able to learn it and use it. I dont really have preference. Is this just my immaturity to the industry or is Sup Forums autistic?

Elm
Typescript
Hack

Elm for FP. Typechecking and the ability to put this shit to use everywhere. Xbox apps, Mobile, VR w/ A-Frame, iWatch, w/e.

This phrase is intended to confuse you. It in no way makes sense.
It should be two sentences, the ordering of the sentence(s) is wrong and there are extra conjunctions that aren't needed.

There's really no major issue with English grammar.
Maybe conjunctions could be removed all together by enforcing a stricter sentence ordering. Like removing braces from python.
Applying tense and gender is often unnecessary.
Maybe removing plurality to force people to provide a rough figure would be a good idea.

What people generally complain about is with spelling. But I have been convinced that the system we use, of including the derivation of a word in its spelling and thereby conveying its meaning through spelling, is actually quite good. Also our willingness to steal words we don't have is also a great asset.
Though I would remove redundant letters (like K[c] and Q[kw or cw]) and add letters to represent sounds we use (th).
The alphabet could be ordered by probability of occurrence. Or maybe order it by DVORAK assuming it is actually optimal.

English is a fine language. There are worse.
Like Chinese, which has a high stroke count per character and large character set. Though it probably has a higher information entropy, requiring less compression.

You could just write that as

print while

Anyhow, Perl is terrible, and the whole scalar/array/hash trichotomy breaks down hideously when working with the object and reference system which was clumsily bolted on the languages. It gets really retarded when you're working with nested data structures and wasting time dicking around sigil variance.

>And the instruction set is quite low given how powerful it is.

...I don't know what you mean by "instruction set", but whatever you're trying to communicate is hideously wrong by any reading.

I love php because it's shit ugly and everyone writing it has no talent at all which means I get paid great money to come in and fix big old problems on a regular basis.

I find a lot of functions don't return properly so I have to use an intermediate variable. Besides, it's an example.
>the whole scalar/array/hash trichotomy breaks down hideously when working with the object and reference
The references are annoying, but you can overcome that by throwing everything into a nested structure.
The objects are fine, they're basically hashes.

My advice is to not write OO code. Keep it sequential and if you need to write something huge then abandon the language.
The need for object orientation is hugely overstated.

>I don't know what you mean by "instruction set"
Words in the syntax. Basically everything except your own function/variable names and the data itself.

Elm is really great actually.
It has the right amount of dead simplicity, while preserving a lot of great qualities of 'real-deal' fp languages like Haskell.
You don't need Conduites and Lenses in your web-browser, so reducing the type system to the bare-minimum, was a great move.

n00b here.
Tell one script you made on Python, please. I want to have an ideia of what you can do with it.

web scraper

machine learning stuff

data analysis

games

>Huge instruction set
>bad

kek

I only got the Data Analysis and I think "games" is some kind of bot?

Enjoy your 10,000 hours in the manual / on google.

Made a site that nets 5k/month. PYthon/django backend. Nt bad for passive income

Perl's syntax is massive by any standard. Not even the author(s) would contest that.

perldoc.perl.org/perlop.html

That's really not much

C99 - a few nice additions over C89, not bloated though. C's like Latin, knowing it gives insight about its deriving languages.

C++, once you know what you're doing it's just telling the compiler what to optimize. Love me some metaprogramming, and the stdlib is so powerful, though I don't do anything involving networking. Basically got me my "dream" job out of college, too.

*almost no sounds and textures

English
Everyone in my company has a basic understanding of it.

english

Python

Erlang, Python, Common Lisp, Go

I've started using Perl some time ago (as an alternative to python) and it's the first language where I feel everything just works how I want it, no matter how hacky the implementation is

Intellij IDEA single handedly makes makes Java a pleasure to use

I don't use Haskell much, but it has some really cool features that make it really expressive

Oh now I get it...
"objectively" cuz it's object oriented! xD

Ruby.

It's simple and consistent. If you have some basics down you can do pretty much anything. You don't have to dick arround with stupid stuff like encoding (looking at you, python) and if the question is "does your language support.." the answer is almost always "yes". Wether you come from C, LISP, JavaScript, Python, Perl.. you will have your fun with Ruby, because it delivers what you want - in the way you want it.

Let's take some letters:
a = *('a'..'z')

..and loop them:
a.each { |i| }

..and let's carry the index through the loop..
a.each.with_index { |i, j| }

Or wait, we want lazy evaluation?
a.each.lazy.with_index { |i,j| }

And let's put them in two arrays, depending on the index:
a.each.lazy.with_index.partition{ |i,j| j.even? }

Ruby is just so damn slick.

I'm legitimately annoyed by the lack of F# in this thread.

VHDL