BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD

Hit us up on IRC: #baot on irc.rizon.net (less shitposting)

News sites: dragonflydigest.com / undeadly.org
Docs: freebsd.org/handbook / openbsd.org/faq / netbsd.org/docs

Potential Linux switchers welcome. Ask questions, get answers.

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/faq/pf/
youtube.com/watch?v=yuxss1kBQWw
wiki.freebsd.org/ContribSoftware#pf_note
github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki
wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

cwm is almost perfect

only thing it lacks is keys to tile the windows

>BECAUSE SECURITY MATTERS
LULZING MY SIDES OFF ON THE FLOOR!

>LULZING
wow so underage

I installed openBSD in virtual box the other day and i couldn't install any software.

Kept getting some "Short file" error. Only partial downloads.

Why should I use freeBSD?

why? I've used openBSD in the past, they do a pretty good job documenting the work, alot of decent tools, still use linux but i got respect for the BSD community.

>replying to him seriously
gj fucktard

for discovery

you might even like it and stick with it

I got a question, how portable linux programs to bsd, i get that its C or some other opensource, but what kind of libraries/dependency problems am i looking at if i switch.

Can I see some of your guys' BSD desktops?

depends on if the programmer was a complete fucktard or not mostly

but yeah open source stuff tends to be portable

>replying seriously
seems like the only way to stop the bullshit? kinda takes the fun out of it.

The biggest lie put out by the OpenBSD project is that OpenBSD focuses on security and clean code. A more precise goal of OpenBSD is that it focuses on claiming to be secure and help proprietary software companies against GNU/Linux and the FSF at the same time. OpenBSD developers wilfully hide serious security flaws and to this date claim that their system had only two remote holes even though exploitdb.com shows that there are far more, none of them were ever fixed. Worse, Theo de Raadt willing allowed government agencies and possible terrorist organizations to put back doors into OpenBSD. An example of this is shown in December 2010 when de Raadt allowed FBI agents to plant backdoors in OpenBSD’s Cryptographic Framework which they had taken from Linux and illegally removed the GPL license. The firewall PF which OpenBSD claimed to have invented (which in fact is a copy of iptables with most of the features stripped away and the remaining code completely mucked up) has 3 buffer overflow vulnerabilities which when combine with the fact that it is running within the kernel can be used by hackers to taken control of OpenBSD’s kernel. Finally like all BSDs, third party applications are not audited for vulnerabilities and research has show that nearly 3 out of 5 of the applications are actually trojans.

good job copying and pasting from a troll blog

I'm planning to build my own router out of a small fanless pc (either atom or AMD) with several gigabit ports and wire some ubiquiti device for wifi. Which BSD should I choose? Or should I just say fuck it and go with linux for less driver issues?

openbsd has pf
openbsd.org/faq/pf/
if you like graphics you can use pfsense i guess

I was unsure when someone said how BSD was very stable, they said "nothing ever crashes". I now understand why BSD is so stable, it's because it has zero software support, so nothing can crash!

I've heard FreeBSD is the correct choice for a such task though. I have some experience with FreeBSD some 8 years ago but it was a nightmare getting all hardware to work and at that point it was the BSD with the best hardware support I was told.

TrueOS is a buggy piece of shit that incorporates features of OpenBSD into FreeBSD.

Where'd you hear that? The firewalls in FreeBSD are positively ancient.

I think unless you got nvidia shit or broadcom you're mostly safe. The hardware being somewhat old could help too.

TrueOS is iXsystem's attempt at becoming RedHat.

>Where'd you hear that? The firewalls in FreeBSD are positively ancient.
I thought pfsense was based on freebsd

It is, for god knows what reason.

I'm on a gaymen laptop with one of those newfangled switching GPU setups (integrated for power savings, dedicated kicks in when games request it) and wanted to try out FreeBSD. Since the integrated GPU is Skylake, am I just SOL until someone properly implements Intel DRM? I did get a basic MATE running with SCFB, but it really doesn't seem practical on a laptop.

No, it's part of own private life:
youtube.com/watch?v=yuxss1kBQWw

> The firewalls in FreeBSD are positively ancient
No, pf is "up to date" due FreeBSD has own version of pf, also pf is unportable that why they have own firewall (ipfw).
wiki.freebsd.org/ContribSoftware#pf_note
FreeBSD is faster have multiprocessor support and JIT for firewall rules.

It's just FreeBSD Head (current branch mostly for developer) + HardenedBSD + patches for DRM 4.7(which maybe a little outdated compared with github branch drm-next(-4.7)) so yes, it's can be "buggy".
Better build own kernel from drm-next-4.7 branch or use binaries(which a little out of date):
github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki
wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics
Or just use TrueOS until patches will be committed in mainline.
Not expect perfect support for Intel graphic due Intel not provide decent support for *nix.

Just switch to Linux already

Thanks.

Be careful, I'm pretty sure one of these clowns is a mod.

>i-i'll shitpost all i want!

which BSD is best for embedded? i.e. best performance, and smallest kernel/userland size

netbsd i suppose

sorry, forgot to add that architecture is a non-issue, this is for amd64 with acpi

netbsd again i'd say

i thought the entire point of it was minimalism/embedded

just checking to see if there's a better embedded choice since netbsd just seems to be for all architectures out there

Or a FBI agent.

yeah the entire point of that is to show that it's perfect for embedded purposes since it can be ported to everything with a MMU

perfect, ty user

Wtf I hate BSD now.

user, if it new stuff like last of AMD LX you better try FreeBSD at first, then you have chance get it to work even with patches.

XD
upvoted

its especially epik when he makes the joke every thread xD

Cucks.

epic meme my friend! i am going to post this on r/Sup Forums :)

MODS!