Friendly reminder that more than 4GB is perfectly useless, both for gaming and specially for office use

Friendly reminder that more than 4GB is perfectly useless, both for gaming and specially for office use.

>Browsing firefox with ~40 tabs open
>Left only 30% 8GB RAM

>he only does gaming and "office"

>having 40 tabs open
>not the computer equivalent of hoarding, a useless unproductive bad habit

Who said I didn't? I don't, but who said I didn't?

>Benchmark is for RAM amounts
>Using the most overkill single card on the market

The real question is why wouldn't you have at least 8gb of RAM if you were already willing to drop almost $1K on a GPU.

unused
RAM
is
wasted
RAM

Well, is it better if this hoarding makes you gain huge knowledge? In an efficient way?
I do a lot of ctrl-click selective fall-for-clickbaits, or for "To explore later" topics
Then n of tabs shrink when seen the webpage and evaluated it

>Constantly running out of memory
>8 GiB

You are a retard and deserve to be gassed by the Nazis.

>the computer I use at my job is an i7-6700 with 32gb of ram

fight me

>both for gaming and specially for office use.
You are correct about that. Now try to open three tabs on chrome with less than 64 GB RAM.

Counter-capitalism ??
or maybe just anti future proofing retard

>hitting your pagefile/swap in the year 2016

Enjoy your dead SSD idiot.

>not using a ramdisk
Opinion discarded.

titanfall 2 uses almost the full VRAM of the RX 480 8GB

I have to use swap on my 8GB machine to play Dark Souls 3. 16GB should be the standard.

Yeah when your gpu has 24GB vram.

Unused processing power is wasted processing power

Warframe had 20 fps drops on my Phenom II 940 4 GB DDR2 780Ti system. I think 6 GB would have removed the drops.

Bf4 ran almost fluently, but with heavy drops when enemies came near.

Yeah sure if you use your PC for nothing than browsing Facebook. You know, some people use computers for work.
I often have like 3 IDE's open, 3-5 virtual machines, chromium with 30-40 tabs, and portage updating packages in the background. All of that uses on average 12-14 gigs of ram.

If you are a developer - please consider quitting your job.

GTX 1060
Intel i3
4GB RAM

Works for me/10

>4GB
Yeah I aint about that closing programs life.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM

My RAM usage is normally 12GB. I wonder how it would be to have 4GB of RAM when your RAM usage is 12GB. Probably unpleasant.

Star Wars Battlefront experience frequent drops with 4gb of RAM. Fuck off, the only acceptable amount of RAM is 8gb unless you're building a scrapyard rig in which case 4 is absolute minimum.

This guy gets it.

>Have 16 GB ram.
>Constantly have to close applications to not run out of memory.
Should have gotten 32...

>Using LTT benchmarks to prove a point
Let us know when you get more solid evidence ok?

B-but user, my office time is devoted to analyzing a shitload of data such as genomic sequences and dna regulatory elements along with editing large amounts of confocal images i acquire. If i had just 4gb id off myself.

I can connect to a supercomputer while at work, but i do have a lot of shit to take care of while on the train or at home.

>If you are a developer - please consider quitting your job.

He obviously meant client side.

No no you can only use computers for video games and writing highschool essays like OP. Stop lying.

My old pc in my parents' house has 4gb. When 4 users are logged in, even playing a 10 year old game makes everything insufferable.

No, I'd rather use my Ram for faster compile times!

Maybe if you do just one at a time.
I constantly have two games running, a plex stream open, and a couple word and pdf documents open.

I would go insane if I could only have one thing open at a time.

I suspect that's because of your Phenom II 940, no?

4GB is noticeably shit for multi tasking
8 GB is good enough for multi tasking
16 GB is good for the one time per year you actually have that much shit open

Chrome and Windows 10 need more than 8GB though.

RAM is cheap so who the fuck cares.
The only people that complain about it are poorfag neets living in their parents basements that can't afford 4x 8GB sticks for 30 bucks each.

And shitload of RAM is never useless, it might not be used today or tomorrow, but one day you will be doing something that WILL require more than the shitty 4GB you're using.

Want to use vidya as an example?
Try playing Stellaris or any other Paradox Entertainment title with only 4GB, the more you have on Grand Strategy Games, the better it is because of how resource-hogging they are.

>paying 30 dollars per ram
Top kek

It's a nice 16GiB of RAM you have there. It would be such a shame if somebody would... use it all up.

I was running out of RAM with 4GB regularly. Had a module die and replaced it with a 4GB module and now it's much better with 6GB.

Since IT is made by Americans, this field gained stupid American extensive behavior. If burning gas, burn it all, if eating burgers, eat them all, if filling RAM, fill it all.
Necessity to store 32 megs per raw 4K meme is fucking stupid. Meme is meme, it ain't gonna have more sense than it already has. Memes would be perfectly stored in 64 times less space and their meaning wouldn't lessen at all.
Fuck you all and fuck your American style of life.

4GB is way too little. My office made the retarded idea of buying new pc's with only 4GB of ram, and I constantly have too little. But then again, the programs we use are utter shit and filled with memory leaks. STill, 8Gb of RAM should be manditory by now. My home desktop dates from 2011 and even that had 8GB of ram.

What's funny about it?
You can find 8GiB sticks for 38$ on Amazon, even cheaper if we're talking about DDR4.

Not having 40 manga tabs open

install gentoo

emerge -e @world
in tmpfs

as long as your ddr3 ram is faster than 1600 mhz then youre fine, if you have 2600mhz ddr4 ram then yeah, 4gigs is probably enough

Idk bout that but lightroom eats 8gb minimum to run decently so I've got 16 just in case

>tfw 16GB of RAM
Stay mad ramlet

>2016
>16Gb of RAM is something special

This is fine IF you only use your PC for gaming or for office, and ONLY if you make sure the application/game you're using is the only thing running. This of course is not including games that use more than 4GB of RAM because those are getting crippled by your lack of resources no matter what you do.

Spending the money on a PC that can play a modern game at 60FPS and only having 4GB of RAM is just plain retarded. Memory is dirt cheap and spending an extra 50 or 75 bucks to make it so you don't ever have to worry about how much things are running on your PC is an absolute no-brainer.

>using an outdated SSD that can't handle 700+ TB of writes

update your shit poorfag

Oh hey man. I saw that LinusTechTips video too. It was pretty epin :^) Dice are such a talented company. Their game doesn't even use more than 4GB of VRAM :D

wtf is wrong with your OS bro... I'm running windows 10 and have ~15 or so firefox tabs open and am barely using more than 4GB of RAM. And that includes a bunch of background shit running like steam, bittorrent, outlook, etc.

sounds more like a you problem to me since I can open about 20 tabs in firefox on 4gb ram without any problems.

Its becoming obvious that chrome is just a memory whore, probably because it needs ressources for its botnet functionality.

>calling people poorfag when you can't afford an extra RAM stick
kys

>only 16GiB
You'll be feeling it soon.
With the amount of bloated shit nowadays the best is at least 24GiB.

a-are you making dinosaurs

>4gb
>regular work duties involve simultaneous usage of multiple microsoft office products, numerour putty sessions, OUTLOOK *shudders*, skype, chrome and various in house applications (they're all awful and JAVA)

4gb isn't nearly enough, m8.

oh well firefox is still slow as hell and sucks, botnet me right in the ass google

What about frametimes and min fps?

>Current rig has 16GB
>Looking at a quality prebuilt which is cheaper than parts, with everything I'd want in it
>Only has 8GB
Convince me I won't regret this.

t. NEET

I max out my 32 gigs daily.

I guess you guys are just plebs who doesn't use your pc besides shitposting and facebook.

O'Kay. I have 32gb and I almost run out of ram often.

But whateves everyone has different needs.

My computer have 32GB RAM but still often run out of it. Not even gaming

>have 8gb RAM
>never reach 4gb
I fell for 8gb RAM meme

Unused brain is wasted brain

programs leak memory all the time, 4gb is not enough 16gb is new minimum

dongs

Running VMs and compressing data on 4GiB of ram is torture. Even 8GiB is a little claustrophobic. Ram is cheap, so it's just easier to have more of it.

>4GB is not enough
>jumps to 16GB instead of 8GB

no

I have 16GB at the office and run at 90% physical memory usage.

ram is dirt cheap if you cant afford at least 16gb ddr4 you should be gassed

had 8GB on both my machines. Often ran out. upgraded to 16GB. still see peaks up to 14GB.

4GB might have been enough in 2005.

RAM is not perfect. it's actually quite likely to have a bitflip.

Depends on what you do all year. 8GB is not enough for everything. and hitting swap is not ideal if you run an SSD.

only if you use linux. with windows 4gb is minimum to even idle on the desktop with nothing else running.

I'm not OP, I have plenty of RAM. The point is that a pagefile killing SSD's isn't a concern with current SSD's, it was only back when they were new. They've come a long way in the last 5+ years. You could write 100GB of data per day to most modern SSD's and they'd still last 10+ years before hitting their write limit. The only people who have this to worry about are people using old outdated SSD's.

Running windows 10, outlook, word, excel, firefox, and CAD simultaneously on my work PC using only 2.9GB of RAM.

You niggers need to optimize your shit.

>too cheap to future-proof for the cost of a couple of pizzas or a case of beer

With a Phenom II and ddr2 why are you even on here get with the times

We already knew this. This is 2016. If you don't have at least 8GB of ram then you're still living in 2007.

>you don't need this much ram
>actually I do need it for the things I do
>y-yeah, well, the things you do are bad

Quality argumentation there buddy.

Phenom unironically had better IPC than bulldozer

yeah... like seven years ago

depends what you play, if you play games like cs:go or hearthstone 4gb is more than enough but if you wanna play the most new released single player games at ultra details you need at least 8gb.

Windows uses 4gb on its data mining and bloat alone. Nice meme though

He is using Chrome.

Nigger try programming anything modern with 4gb.

That shit ain't happening.

Lmao, are you dumb or blind?

Let me know what pic related can do with 4GB of RAM.

You might be able to so a 500x500 copy and paste with 4gb

Excuse me, I cannot hear you

I managed idle of 1.9 GB on a fresh win10 installation

>I don't know how ram works
Idle ram usage is meaningless

>win 10
Well, there's your problem.

wrong

why are many so angry here if someone has more than 8gb ram?

B-b-but unused RAM is wasted RAM!

>2GB of RAM
>only using half of that

But enjoy buying a shit load of RAM and supporting the writing of shitty software.