Apple Products

>I am a very average guy with really basic technological knowledge and a family
> I am the only earning member of the family, yet have a 1000$-budget for gadgets (including house-hold products we don't really need etc.) per year
> AVERAGE.

Give me Pro/Con Apple-Arguments

Other urls found in this thread:

daniel.haxx.se/blog/2016/10/11/poll-on-mac-10-12-is-broken/
monoprice.com/pages/usb_31_type_c
youtube.com/watch?v=TXb6bjCCtuY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Pro
macOS is a UNIX for the masses, even AVERAGE guys like yourself.

>Con
Lack of physical ports such as USB and thunderbolt (which was compatible with mini-DP)

>$1000 budget
>per year

dont even consider apple products unless you're buying second-hand
poorfag

>plug in headphone with headphone jack into iphone/ipad
>at the same time plug in headphone with lightning plug
>device shits itself and crashes

>want lightning/usb3.1c port to be the new standard craps itself the moment there is a tiny amount of dust in it
>have to clean it every 6 months just to that you can charge it
>the tiniest amount of dust will fuck of the remote of the headphones

It's a Scenario, I am actually a student at it-vaccational-school.

>I was only pretending

>Pro
Ease of use
>Con
Locked in, upgrades are expensive, 1000$ a year means you won't get any other appliances in the year you upgrade, products are prone to overheating and thus have a shortend lifespan, reparing is expensiv, difficult and repairshops near your home are not gurateed.
Better get a decent PC, install windows or if you think you can handle a little change ubuntu. Both are not that hard to use.

Thunderbolt 3 ports on new MBPs can do DisplayPort, HDMI, etc. with the appropriate cable/adapter.

Oh, I've been misled by Sup Forums then.

Still, lack of USB on MBP (and lightning instead of USB-C on the iPhone) is still a giant WTF imho.

"I" do not care about newest shit, i do not even own usb-3-Sticks

>pros
OS

>cons
Shitty hardware with the shittiest heat control in the industry.

Build yourself a proper computer with proper airflow, and install OS X or MacOS or whatever they call it these days.

>Pro
It looks nice
>Con
It's expensive
The OS lacks the software compatibility of Windows and the freedom of Linux. The worst of both worlds.

I do often (or actually only) hear the pro-argument "It's for graphical designers"

Then your hearing is extremely selective.

>Locked in

What does this mean?

>upgrades are expensive

How? Macs use standard I/O ports. If you mean RAM, there are third-party iMac modules.

>1000$ a year means you won't get any other appliances in the year you upgrade

People don't buy a new computer (or any other appliance) every year.

>products are prone to overheating and thus have a shortend lifespan

Now you're just making shit up. (Go ahead and link me to your obscure 2011 article to prove me wrong)

That was true.
In 1984.
Today it's a total retard bullshit meme.

>What does this mean?
Buzzword

>Macs use standard I/O ports
"Standard"

They may be standard, but Apple are the only one that uses them. Thunderbolt is nice because it's compatible with mini-DP, but not even their fucking cellphone uses USB-C.

>lack of USB on MBP

Those same Thunderbolt ports also do USB 3.1 Gen 2.

>macOS is UNIX
It's not POSIX since the poll() implementation doesn't work, and so it's not UNIX.

But you need thunderbolt to usb adapter, which means I have to buy a bunch of adapters. My current MBP from 2014 has three type A connectors, which means that I can connect my iPhone 6s, non-apple mouse and non-apple keyboard and still have two Dell ultrasharp u2715h displays connected.

>Thunderbolt is nice because it's compatible with mini-DP

You realize that Apple invented mini-DP back in 2008, right? And for a number of years, Apple was the only company to adopt the port, right?

>It's not POSIX since the poll() implementation doesn't work, and so it's not UNIX.
You are misinformed

1) It is POSIX, it is even certified by the open group (which means that it is fully POSIX)
2) "poll() implementation doesn't work" is nonsensical because a) it definitively work and b) uses kqueue under the hood (just like FreeBSD does)

>You realize that Apple invented mini-DP back in 2008, right? And for a number of years, Apple was the only company to adopt the port, right?
miniDP is just the connector, DisplayPort just works and has always done. You can have a miniDP to DP cable if you want.

>you need thunderbolt to usb adapter

You mean you need a USB-C to USB-A adapter or cable.

You are wrong.
daniel.haxx.se/blog/2016/10/11/poll-on-mac-10-12-is-broken/
There is a spec for poll in POSIX and they don't follow it. I don't care how many certificates you can wave around, it's not following the POSIX spec.

>You can have a miniDP to DP cable if you want.

Oh, you mean a dreaded adapter?

It's over, Apple is finished and bankrupt.

No, a cable. You'd need a cable anyway.

>With the release of Mac OS X 10.9 “Mavericks” in October 2013, Apple had fixed their poll() implementation
OS X before 10.9 wasn't POSIX.

But anyway, not using kqueue is a huge wtf on the behalf of the developers.

A cable is not an adapter.

>USB-C to USB-A cable
These do not exist because of different power specifications.

Anything that requires an adapter can just as easily be made into an adapter-less cable, geniuses.

You realize there will be plenty of cheap Monoprice cables for USB-C ports (if there aren't already), right?

That's not the point, they fixed it then, but recently reverted to their own behaviour instead of kqueue.
They don't give a shit about things like this. The coreutils in OS X are worse than in Linux, they're almost all there (you need to get wget from homebrew like a savage), but there's always an undocumented behaviour or a missing flag. And then you realize this thing is made by the most valuable company in the world, while Linux is made by volunteers.

Then what's the problem exactly?
>you do realize that [], right?
This isn't reddit, you don't have to type every single point in this obnoxious manner for karma points.

>The coreutils in OS X are worse than in Linux
60% of the coreutils are FreeBSD coreutils and the remaining ones are GNU

>they're almost all there (you need to get wget from homebrew like a savage),
1) wget is not a coreutil
2) why would you use wget when curl exist?
3) why would you use homebrew when macports exist?

>but there's always an undocumented behaviour or a missing flag
That's because GNU core-utils use a bunch of arbitrary flags that are part of GNU """"extensions""""

Have you ever used FreeBSD?

>And then you realize this thing is made by the most valuable company in the world, while Linux is made by volunteers.
You're giving Linux credit for GNU utils now?

>Anything that requires an adapter can just as easily be made into an adapter-less cable, geniuses.
It can't. See

Jesus, you people are fucking lazy. No wonder you depend on Sup Forums for your shitty purchasing decisions.

>60% of the coreutils are FreeBSD coreutils and the remaining ones are GNU
Does not invalidate my point, they could still fix these.

>they're almost all there (you need to get wget from homebrew like a savage),
>1) wget is not a coreutil
Ah ok, still a useful tool they didn't include.
>2) why would you use wget when curl exist?
Because I like wget.
>3) why would you use homebrew when macports exist?
How does that fix any of the things I mentiones?

>That's because GNU core-utils use a bunch of arbitrary flags that are part of GNU """"extensions""""
And how is this bad? Do sed or grep work less well?

>Have you ever used FreeBSD?
No.

>You're giving Linux credit for GNU utils now?
GNU is also made by volunteers.

>>I am a very average guy with really basic technological knowledge and a family
so you have no real professional use for a computer, thats good to know, Apple might be just the thing for you

>> I am the only earning member of the family, yet have a 1000$-budget for gadgets (including house-hold products we don't really need etc.) per year
so basically youre an AVERAGE poor person from an average 3rd world shithole and you want to know if its worth making your children starve so you can look pretentious in front of your friends, right?

PRO: all the snobby poor people are going to want to hang in your mud hut

CON: you have to step up the stavation level, $1000 wont get you shit anymore with Apple

OP, are you Blazin' Hazen?

youtube.com/watch?v=TXb6bjCCtuY

>Does not invalidate my point, they could still fix these.
Why? There is no reason to.

>Ah ok, still a useful tool they didn't include.
curl is included by default. There's nothing that wget can do that curl can't.

>Because I like wget.
Go suck on Stallmans toejam then.

>How does that fix any of the things I mentiones?
I'm just pointing out that your lack of knowledge about actual UNIX environments (such as the BSD family) is showing.

>And how is this bad? Do sed or grep work less well?
The """"extensions"""" are not part of POSIX, and if you use FreeBSD versions of the coreutils, you will see that plenty of the flags are nonstandard.

Your argument was literally that not implementing nonstandard functionality makes the OS somehow less compliant to the standard.

>GNU is also made by volunteers.
Just pointing out that you seem to be unable to differentiate between coreutils, OS and GNU vs BSD.

Also, there are many of the developers for both GNU and Linux that are paid by big companies, such as Google. And the same goes for FreeBSD, which Darwin-core is heavily based on (Apple even contributes upstream from time to time). Free software does not mean unpaid labour, user.

>Why? There is no reason to.
There is no reason to fix problems? Sed still can't use the Perl regex standard.

>curl is included by default. There's nothing that wget can do that curl can't.
I'm not disagreeing with that.

>Go suck on Stallmans toejam then.
Not an argument.

>I'm just pointing out that your lack of knowledge about actual UNIX environments (such as the BSD family) is showing.
How is using macports instead of homebrew somehow more UNIX?

>The """"extensions"""" are not part of POSIX, and if you use FreeBSD versions of the coreutils, you will see that plenty of the flags are nonstandard.
And again, how does this matter? How is it bad?

>Your argument was literally that not implementing nonstandard functionality makes the OS somehow less compliant to the standard.
No, it wasn't. Mpv isn't part of the of the POSIX standard, doesn't mean I don't want to watch movies. Please explain how these extensions mean the GNU utils break the standard.

>Just pointing out that you seem to be unable to differentiate between coreutils, OS and GNU vs BSD.
Not really.

>Also, there are many of the developers for both GNU and Linux that are paid by big companies, such as Google. And the same goes for FreeBSD, which Darwin-core is heavily based on (Apple even contributes upstream from time to time). Free software does not mean unpaid labour, user.
Again, irrelevant.

Basically, you're angry that your toy OS isn't UNIX anymore, so you're bringing up a lot of non-issues.

>There is no reason to fix problems? Sed still can't use the Perl regex standard.
That's not a problem, that's an arbitrary feature you'd like to have. Not the same thing.

>How is using macports instead of homebrew somehow more UNIX?
Ports-based package management systems have a long history in NIX environments, just look at the BSDs. They all use a ports based package management system. Many Linux distros do too.

>And again, how does this matter? How is it bad?
Non-standard additions that break compatibility is not a good thing. It's the same reason why relying on a GNU C dialect is a bad thing for your software project if portability is your aim.

>Mpv isn't part of the of the POSIX standard, doesn't mean I don't want to watch movies. Please explain how these extensions mean the GNU utils break the standard.
They have nothing to do with the standard, you're the one touting that macOS is shit because it isn't POSIX. If your argument is that macOS is shit because it isn't your favourite Linux distro, then 1) that's an entirely different argument and 2) isn't a very good one.

>Basically, you're angry that your toy OS isn't UNIX anymore, so you're bringing up a lot of non-issues.
I'm not the one bringing up stuff and calling them issues, you just literally said that it's a problem that sed doesn't support arbitrary regex syntax and that macOS doesn't come with mpv by default. THOSE are non-issues, user.

Also, I'm not mad at all. Having a broken poll() implementation is about as much a dealbreaker as the select() bug Linux had in 2.6.something; no one fucking cares because every application not written by Pajeets would use epoll() or kqueue() anyway. As you said yourself, being POSIX is just a fancy piece of paper. Linux gets by just fine without being fully POSIX compliant every day.

>>The """"extensions"""" are not part of POSIX, and if you use FreeBSD versions of the coreutils, you will see that plenty of the flags are nonstandard.
>And again, how does this matter? How is it bad?

>It's the same reason why relying on a GNU C dialect is a bad thing for your software project
This. Arbitrary GNU extensions (in GNU coreutil source code) is the sole reason why OpenBSD still have to rely on GCC as its main compiler and are currently unable to migrate to llvm/clang.

>Non-standard additions that break compatibility is not a good thing.
I asked how they broke the standard. I don't care that the extensions won't work in inferior systems.

>They have nothing to do with the standard,
Ok, and how does that break the standard? I'm still waiting for an answer.
>you're the one touting that macOS is shit because it isn't POSIX.
Not what I said at all.

>If your argument is that macOS is shit because it isn't your favourite Linux distro
Not my point at all. You lie a lot about what other people say.

>it's a problem that sed doesn't support arbitrary regex syntax
The biggest and most powerful regex standard ever is hardly "arbitrary", but ok user. It's totally unimportant bloat.

>macOS doesn't come with mpv by default.
Please show me where I said this was a problem. It's the third time this post that you lie about what I said. That shows despair, user.

>THOSE are non-issues, user.
For you.

>I asked how they broke the standard
They don't, your original argument was that not implementing them made them somehow non-standard. Which is obviously wrong.

>Ok, and how does that break the standard? I'm still waiting for an answer.
You're the one touting that macOS is not conforming to the standard, wtf?

>Not my point at all. You lie a lot about what other people say.
But it is... The fucking second sentence of your post is "I don't care that the extensions won't work in inferior systems".

>The biggest and most powerful regex standard ever is hardly "arbitrary", but ok user. It's totally unimportant bloat.
Perl regex is not a "standard". Again, you seem to not understand what standards are.

>Please show me where I said this was a problem. It's the third time this post that you lie about what I said. That shows despair, user.
You just wrote that in your fucking post....

I'm out, this level of backpedalling is fucking pathetic.

>They don't
You could have added "sorry I was wrong" and ended your post here.

>, your original argument was that not implementing them made them somehow non-standard. Which is obviously wrong.
No, that wasn't my argument at all. Again with the lying.

>You're the one touting that macOS is not conforming to the standard, wtf?
That sentence wasn't even about macOS dude.

>But it is... The fucking second sentence of your post is "I don't care that the extensions won't work in inferior systems".
And how does that relate to " being shit because it doesn't follow POSIX" since the point being made is about extensions OUTSIDE of POSIX? Christ, user, follow the argument.

>Perl regex is not a "standard". Again, you seem to not understand what standards are.
Perl is a language that follows a standard/spec.

>You just wrote that in your fucking post....
Show me where I said not including mpv was an issue. Quote that sentence.

>I'm out, this level of backpedalling is fucking pathetic.
Goodbye user.

Pro:
It has pretty good multimedia workshops It's designed to be "just works" computer
If Apple decides to switch to other architecture, they'll must to provide support for older x86 applications
Con:
Apple recent dumb design decisions regularly laughed off on Sup Forums