/pcbg/- PC Building General

Start of the week edition

Comfy Saturday Night Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Significantly outdated "Good" and "Very Good" tiers
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old thread →

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130695
pcpartpicker.com/list/KnjM3F
delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/
pcpartpicker.com/list/QLX7Cy
memoryexpress.com/Products/MX59962
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/23yzZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=cu_VmV8NM_M
pcpartpicker.com/list/6cB38K
microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0452118
microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0452541
microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0459896
pcpartpicker.com/list/vLF64C
pcpartpicker.com/list/3xPqbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/TtG4NN
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/V69qRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/h7mcM8
pcpartpicker.com/product/D7hj4D/acer-monitor-umkg7aa002
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

120GB EVO 850 Samsung SSD (for OS and crucial programs) and 240GB Kingston or Sandisk (for gaymens and anything that takes shitload of time to load)
yay or nay?

I jsut picked up a Samsung Evo 850 over the Sandisk... the benchmarks aren't even close

btw thanks again to the people who helped me.

Here's the gear i got

>i5 6600K
>Asus Z170-P
>Corsair 16GB DDR4 2400
>Corsair H110i cooler
>Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD
>Corsair Bronze 600 PSU
>Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080GTX
>Corsair 750D

the Corsair Case was the only decent thing they had that wasn't super expensive... will take recommendations on something else better.

Something came in. Do I unpack it?

actual previous thread

>

>cooler still can't keep up with full load
get throttling in battlefield 1 and luxmark

I guess I'll have to try and return it. If it can't cool one of the CPU's it advertises itself for that's sufficient cause right?

how much does case airflow matter? I haven't got the best case but it is pumping hot air out the back

I guess I'll go for cryorig H7 next, that should be able to do it

Wanting to start a gaming build, $200 budget. Last thread I asked what graphics card I wanna put in and the most popular choice was an MSI 1050 ti. I also got a suggestion for an Intel q8200 as the processor. If I could get pic related down to $120 would that be a good deal? Or would I be better off looking elsewhere?

Looking to upgrade my GPU. Here are my specs (Not home so no Speccy)

>750W Power Supply
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049
>i5-4670k Haswell Quad Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646I54670K
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899
>8GB DDR3
>Motherboard
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130695

Is there any reason to get the 1050ti over the 470 4GB (Which is $180 after rebate right now)?

pcpartpicker.com/list/KnjM3F
Anything I should change?

Thinking about moving my pc down here to save desk space

Wouldn't this completely fuck the airflow though?

It comes with a monitor? Then it's worth it.
consider instead a 771-775 adaptor. delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/
Good cheap processors.
But seriously get more money.

Only if you are a super Jew, 1050ti is 150 at micro center as of last night

I am a super jew, but I literally see no reason not to just grab a 470

>implying I didn't buy a 950 a week ago.

Not everybody needs "muh 60fps in all modern titles".

Dear /pcbg/.

Will NH-U12S be good enough cooler for my i7-6700k?

I bought my new PC like three weeks ago and got SilentiumPC Fera 3 cooler, based on shop clerk recommendation, but it doesnt work well at all - it was supposed to be okay with CPUs with TDP of 180W, but it have hard time with my i7, reaching 85C under stress (I know that Guild Wars 2 is not very well optimized game, but still) and I didnt overlock it yet.

Now, I just want some good air cooling and be done with it.

Case is Corsair 200R, so probably the max size of cooler is 160mm (reviewers says 160mm, Corsair site says 165mm, to be more precise), whcih is why I might risk that 14S would not fit, but 12S should have no problem.

Question is - should I rather get another cooler? I dont want to waste money again.

At first I was thinking about some water cooling like Corsair H80i, but I heard that it would not be much better that 12S, but surely more loud.

Thanks for any advice.

Oh and my mobo is GA-Z170-HD3P, which doesnt have second CPU fan output.

85C is fine for an intel CPU

I keep hearing that with proper cooling, i7 shouldnt go above 70C.

70C is fine, but anything above that and you should really consider another cooler. High end coolers like the Noctua D15 and Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 can keep CPUs ~45C.

Yeah, but those two are pretty wide and I dont know, if they would really fit my mobo and not block some RAM slots.

NH-U12S looks promising, based on reviews (TechPowerUp tested it with i7-3960X with TDP of 110W and when overlocked to 4,1 Ghz and with 100% load, it reached 66C), but I dont want to make another mistake and buy wrong cooler than one to fit my needs.

Fera 3 was not as expensive to make me suffer too much from replacing it so quick (100 PLN aka 22 EUR).

Is 450w psu enough for an rx480 8gb?

probably, assuming you use their driver power consumption fix

it's only 150w

Pretty much every seller states that you should have min 500w so that was my concern.

Oh they already made a fix for it? Neat

AMD officially recommends 500 W PSU. 300-400 W is enough but they want to cover their asses against lawsuits in case someone runs a crazy setup that consumes more.

Hard to tell from one image but it seems like it'd have enough room for air to flow freely.

>tfw when the Enthoo Pro M has a better internal layout than the Enthoo Pro
>tfw when the Enthoo Pro M is too small to hold multiple radiators without looking cramped

Why the fuck does Phanteks have to do this.

Their Pro, Luxe and Primo cases force you choose between having your pump/res crammed between the GPU and the drive chamber or having it hidden in the drive chamber. Their Pro M and Evolv cases are designed with plenty of space for your pump/res without losing your HDDs (thanks to the dual chamber design) but the lack of headroom means a top mounted rad hangs over the motherboard.

Fucking moose balls.

Is there a ratio to intake/exhaust fans you should have?

So, what cooler should I get?

u14s

Positive air pressure is better than negative, so more intake than exhaust. Also diminishing returns hit hard after 2 intake and 1 exhaust, but that might vary depending on your case and components.

Ther is a chance it wont fit in my Corsair 200R case.

14S have exactly 165mm height, max cooler height for 200R is, according to sources, either 160mm or 165.

pcpartpicker.com/list/QLX7Cy
So my current setup is fine?

Nope, you're good to go.

FYI: your case comes with two fans preinstalled, you might want to use them for something. But yes, that looks good enough. Put two in front and one in back. If you're not satisfied then you can always buy more fans and install them any time.

Good build, but you don't need the three additional fans, R5 comes with decent fans.

ok, I removed two of the fans, but I might replace the case fans with something else in the future.

You can do that later if you want to. The preinstalled fans are not that bad though, you should be fine with just them.

Idk with how many fans the R5 comes with, should be 1x120 rear and 2x120 front, right?
If that's the case try it without any additional fans and if you don't like them you can always switch them.

Two 140mm Fractal fans, one at back and one at front.

Personally i'd leave it as is for now, try it if the fans are acceptable, if so, get a third Fractal Design fan which is cheaper, otherwise get 3x NF-A14 fans.

>tfw waiting for memoryexpress.com/Products/MX59962 to get restocked

angery

spent under $600 on this

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/23yzZ8
Rate / hate / appreciate or give some suggestions please.
This build is for college/work and occasional gaming and is meant to be silent. I'll be buying from Amazon and Mindfactory only, they are the cheapest.
I'd like to stay below 1k, can't really justify spending more.. might get a HGST NAS instead the WD and should i get a gold rated PSU? It will run 8-10h a day, price difference to a SeaSonic G or EVGA G2 is approx. 40-50 bucks.

So, again, NH-U12S will be good choice for i7-6700k? With Corsair 200R case and GA-Z170-HD3P mobo?

>6600K
>H110
Why would you do this?

Yes, everything from Noctua is good and will keep your system cool.

Posted this in the last thread

Purpose: High-intensity gayming
Budget: £2000 (~$2400)

Current design
>Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
>Noctua NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
>MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
>Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
>Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
>Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
>MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card
>Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case
>Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
>Acer XG270HU 27.0" 144Hz Monitor

Some questions I have:
Is this cooler I've chosen sufficient? The CPU comes overclocked out of the box running at 4.0GHz and I fully intend to OC it more.
Are there any compatibility issues with the MOBO I've picked? I've checked for chipset compatibility and such but I'm more concerned about space limits with the cooler and RAM
It was suggested in the previous thread I get a 3000Mhz RAM model to go with the Z170 MOBO, which I have done, but would it be better if I go higher?

Some advice I've received previously:
Forget about 4K, it's not worth it at this point in time.

Anything you guys can help me with or comments you have on my design choice would be really appreciated.

Yes, it's pretty good.

>3GB 1060
>h110 with 6600k
>8GB of RAM
Pretty good for the price but you could've bought better parts user.

Okay, I was just wondering if there would be better solution for this case and mobo.

unless you're making videos for youtube or playing CPU intensive strategy games you don't need a 6700k. It leads to barely any FPS increase unless you're at 4k. Might as well save some money and put that into a larger boot drive cause 120gb won't fit most of your games.

youtube.com/watch?v=cu_VmV8NM_M

how is resolution tied to cpu performance in any way? that's one of the best ways to compare pure gpu performance is just push more pixels

Well I wanted the 6700K model to make it as future proof as possible and I do play a lot of RTS games. I;ll be looking to OC it as much as possible as well, which is why I've gone for the Z170 MOBO, I won't be running at 4K but the monitor I'm getting is at 1440p and I will eventually look to upgrade to 4K later when the tech actually becomes worth it. If I were to get a different CPU model though, which would you recommend?

Well depends.. mobo is good, case too but cases are mostly subjective anyways.

Found 3 old Dell Optiplex at a thrift store. Two were GX270, one SFF and one desktop. Cracked open the SFF, took out the RAM, put it in the desktop for 1gb total and bought it for

Because the 6600k is fast enough for me without overclocking right now. I plan on upgrading the motherboard to whatever the last generation 1151 chipset is in a year or two. At that point I can extend the usefulness of this cpu for a few more years by overclocking.

I would suggest getting the i5-6600k best price/performance ratio for k level processor.

If you find that you want to upgrade to an i7 kaby lake will probably be out at that time and you can upgrade to an i7-7xxxK because it will be compatible with z170. Kaby Lake will probably be better at overclocking as well.

Even if you play lots of RTS games I think you will be happier spending the money on a faster/larger SSD.

To be honest I think I'm going to keep the i7 and bring down the RAM from 16gb to 8gb, just because I'm concerned about DX12 games being handled a lot better by the 6700k and spending more on the SSD.

To buy or not to buy a Galax GTX 1060 6GB EX OC White for 1150 Huehuemonies (about 360 USD)? It'd replace a HD 6850.
I'm the guy who upgraded from a E8400 to a i3 6100 one month ago.

Rest of the PC:
>i3 6100
>MSI H110M PRO VD
>8GB DDR4
>AMD HD 6850
>Corsair 450VX PSU

that works too considering you have 4 ram slots

what gams do u play

Asseto Corsa (performance is good enough currently)
The Crew (just playable)
GTA V (good enough)
BeamNG

I'd also like:
Forza Horizon 3 (current VGA isn't DX12)
Project Cars (demo has good enough perf)

pcpartpicker.com/list/6cB38K

Christmas build guys, how'd I do?

GTA could use the 6gb of vram.

Not sure about the racing games but the 6gb would future proof it just enough and you could upgrade to a non-k kaby lake 4 core in the future.

>splurging on a processor you don't need and a slightly better SSD and dropping to 8gb of RAM

Literally what the fuck. 6600k, 16gb RAM, and a decent SSD is what you need. Hyperthreading is gonna net you a few extra FPS and is basically pointless unless you're editing or rendering. If you want to splurge on the i7, something you don't need, please don't do it at the cost of something that you WILL need (like more RAM or a faster read/write speed/larger capacity SSD). Just pay more all together.

A couple suggestions:

Go 2x8gb on the RAM. 6700k can't quad channel, so go with 2x8gb for basically the same performance. Then you can throw in two more sticks down the road if you need it instead of replacing it all.

Don't get a W10 license, you can use it for free. If you REALLY want a license, use Kinguin or something and get it hella cheap.

Spend the money you save on a GTX 1080. High end CPU deserves a high end CPU. Might cost $100 more total.

The difference between 8GB and 16GB for gaming is negligible and it's a lot easier to upgrade to more RAM than switch out a different CPU. He said he was going to get a bigger SSD as well anyway.

Which of these mobos should I get?

microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0452118

microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0452541

microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0459896

>i5 6600k
>fucking h110 mobo
Jesus Christ are you retarded

ASRock of Gigabyte

Is this okay? If not, what do I change to make it okay? Thanks!

The cost is also negligible between 8 and 16.. And when multitasking or even just using multiple tabs in a browser, it's incredibly noticeable.

What's a good Mini ITX case? There's so many that I can't really choose which one is the best to get.

pretty sure getting 2x8gb is the lowest $/gb as well so you get the best deal when you go for it.

I would go for a gtx 1070/80 or wait for vega if you want AMD

I'm getting a phanteks enthoo evolv ITX, its pretty nice looking but relatively large. The other one I like is the thermaltake v1 but its quite small.
Smallest case that can take a 240mm radiator for liquid cooling is the ncase m1 but its quite expensive.
>pic related

I'll check them out, I'll use a small GPU anyway and liquid cooling isn't really a priority of mine - so I think the thermaltake will be better for me.

It's shit.

Is Skylake worth it or should I wait for Kaby Lake if I'm upgrading from an apu?

pcpartpicker.com/list/vLF64C
>Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
>CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
>Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
>Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
>Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
>Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
>Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini ITX OC Video Card
>Silverstone ML08B HTPC Case
>Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

Building a compact gaming PC. Not gonna OC with such nonexistent airflow.

Tell me what I fucked up please. Contemplating going up to a 3 TB or 4 TB drive but I've heard bad things about failure rates, is it all dumb memeing or is 2TB actually ideal?

Just ordered this bad boy a few seconds ago.
getting a i5 6600k and a msi gtx 1060 tomorrow.
My build should be finished by November 5th. I'm so excited!

Hope it goes well user

get rid of the 3.5" HDD, get a 1TB 2.5" one and a NAS

That's adding a lot of extra cost for what is probably not a lot of gain, though. The 3.5" HDD fits fine in the case with the short 1070, why bother going with a NAS?

Hello everyone
pcpartpicker.com/list/3xPqbj
Im just looking for a good PC in the 1500-1800 range, but im shit at computers so i threw something together
would like to know if certain parts are better than the ones in my list, would also like to know if my monitors, keyboard and mouse are ok, thank you :)

forgot list
>intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
>CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
>Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
>G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
>Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
>MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
>NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (very up for change)
>EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
>Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan

>Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor(x2)
>Razer BlackWidow Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard
>Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse
also need optical drive (idk what it is) but it wasnt on the partpicker website

go for 3000mhz ram

Get a 6600k over the 6700k unless you are editing videos. (Which I am guessing you aren't due to the lack of high capacity HDD)

pcpartpicker.com/list/TtG4NN
How's this for a $2k gaming build? The 60Hz monitor will be set up in portrait mode.

thanks, i dont know all these terms (mhz etc) also idk if i missed it but i tried to find a hard drive on pcpartpicker but i couldnt find it unless im being stupid and overlooked it

i fixed a couple things...got an HDD after realizing it is in storage, got a 3000mhz ram (whatever that is)

>razer blackwidows chroma
This is where you dropped the ball.

Yes it's a good build, but i wouldn't spend that much on a secondary you're going to use in pivot anyways.

oh, im still very new to this, ive heard theyre good but i dont know
im also confused on what monitor to get, ive heard asus is ok and to get a 144hz monitor but idk which is the best

yeah hard drive isn't as fast as SSD which you want for your operating system but it can be used to store all your memes :)

1000Mhz = 1Ghz which is how fast your ram operates per second (frequency) the faster the better. 3000Mhz is nice because its taillable when you use z170 chipset. Some people will say it doesn't change performance but it actually does these days upwards of 5-10%. Some guy posted a chart showing the performance between different speeds of ram and it was noticable.

Idk either, i have 3 used 1080p 60Hz BenQ's, see if you can find something like this as a secondary.

I'm currently making up a part list, my budget currently is around £850.
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/
What do you suggest I should add or change?
I plan to get Zotac's 1060 6gb mini gpu, too.

This is a build I'm looking into getting, made around the GTX 1060 for high end 1080p 60fps
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/V69qRG
I've already bought the GPU and RAM
I'm pretty happy with the build, pretty much at the limit of what I want to spend unless there's something really worth getting, and I'm not sure if I can really scale anything back to save some cash.

My only real concern is the size of the fan and the case.
The case has a max CPU Cooler height of 170mm, and the NH-D15 with fans is 165mm, leaving only a 5mm gap between the side panel and the fan.
Would that be fine, or will it actually cause problems?

>uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Okay, thanks.

how about this, got new 144hz 1ms monitors (i think im starting to get this now)
pcpartpicker.com/list/h7mcM8
tyvm for all the help

I'm getting a GTX 1070. Is it worth it to get a 1440p monitor as well?

The good ones are around $1000 which I rather get a 1080p 144hz 1ms response time monitor instead.

What do you think?

pcpartpicker.com/product/D7hj4D/acer-monitor-umkg7aa002
That looks like a pretty good one at a great price too. The 144hz/1ms is only if you're a super elitist about your frames.

Get another keyboard and not that overpriced gaudy childrens toy..

any recommendations?

Question about monitors and display
1. what is IPS and TN?
2. Whats better, a 1080p 144hz 1ms monitor or a 1440p 60hz 1ms monitor? the 1440p 144hz 1ms monitors cost like 500 dollars

nah, I need the 144hz