/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Last thread:
Stupid questions undeserving of their own threads goes into this containment thread.

Do not bump your question or post it more than once per thread. Nobody owes you an answer.

These rules have been established through generations, and they are absolute. Defy them at your own peril, risking the curse the Tech Skelly (strange kernel panics and hardware faults will plague you).

Other urls found in this thread:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-update/windows-update-svchostexe-100-cpu-in-task-manager/6b372d8b-0ca4-4042-ba37-b2a7cdcdbd06
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump:

any good pascal compiler that is easy to install on linux , something that works like the windows turbo pascal

The screen or filter fell out from earphones(IEM)
wat do and is it bad ?

Whenever I put a usb device into my front usb ports on my tower, they randomly turn on and off (it seems like actually just accessing files causes it to stop working). However I have a controller plugged into one and it works fine, whats going on?

I think they are 2.0

Why is my Windows Update not working?

I have 4 PC's.

1 Win 8 (Phys)
1 Win 8 (VM)
1 Win 7 (Phys)
1 Win 7 (VM)

Only the Phys Win 8 can update Windows.

None of the others work.

Both VMs are running from this PC (Phys Win8)

They are all (2 VMs 1 Phys) Stuck on Searching Updates (100% SVCHOST usage).

They are all on the same network. What do?

I bought a 960 EVO m.2 NVMe

My motherboard is a z97 haswell motherboard (gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H (rev. 1.2)) It has an m.2 slot but will it support it with max speeds?

Should I learn F# ?

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-update/windows-update-svchostexe-100-cpu-in-task-manager/6b372d8b-0ca4-4042-ba37-b2a7cdcdbd06

In the list of Services, can you see Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Force Stop and Start this Service then try to run the Windows Update.

1) Is there a piece of software for Windows that will clone an HDD onto another HDD while the system is running ?
2) Can all NTFS partitions be enlarged, given that there's free unformatted space on a drive ?
3) Could I maybe do this using the dd tool through Bash on Windows ? Can it even interact with drives like this (unmounting, bit for bit copying) ? Has anyone tried ?

wu.krelay.de/en

follows the instructions there. Bookmark this site, you'll need it next month.

I'm pretty sure disk operations require kernel support, which means you cant do them on windows bash.

what software do yall use to capture gifs/webm? ScreenToGif is laggy for me for some reason?

1. one of the many many partition managers should be able to do that
2. yes, since 7 I think. You can do it from computer management.
3. loonix subsystem probably won't work. however you can just download a win32 port of dd and use the unix-like filename of your drive(\\.\phsyicaldrive0 or something.) Do a google search about how to find out the exact filename you need.

Damn.
Any other options ? I'm replacing one of my storage drives, so booting into clonezilla isn't that important since nothing will be written to the disk I'm cloning while it goes on anyway.

freepascal is exactly what you need. if you fancy delphi 7, install lazarus too.

I use open broadcast software. Works quite well for systems that don't have the graphic driver specific novidya/radeon screen recording software.

Do some fine tuning so your results will look good. Later you can use webm for retards to create webms.

What are some cool and useful projects to do with a Raspberry Pi?

>1. one of the many many partition managers should be able to do that
Really ?
I only ever used the built-in one in Windows, which I'm pretty sure doesn't have this functionality. Which one would you recommend ?
>2. yes, since 7 I think. You can do it from computer management.
Awesome.
>3. loonix subsystem probably won't work. however you can just download a win32 port of dd and use the unix-like filename of your drive(\\.\phsyicaldrive0 or something.) Do a google search about how to find out the exact filename you need.
Damn. Didn't even know there were win32 ports of it tbqhwufam.

>Which one would you recommend ?

I only used EASEUS and Paragon in the past 10 years, both of them are good.

I'm doing various exercises on Visual Studio (C++). Should I make a new solution for each one, or just one solution and a different project for each?

Awesome. Will look into these, thanks user.

hitlerious

How do I clean out a case that has a layer of dust in it? Or at least, make it a little bit nicer? I wiped some of it with my finger but something a little more professional seems like it'd be better. Cotton swab good enough, or should I get something like one of those anti-static things?

If it's just a case without components inside, you can use a microfiber cloth or a duster.
Otherwise compressed air.

isopropyl and paper tissue

how do i get rid of this halloween skin but keep the skelemans?

I have a small server with Ubuntu and virtualbox installed.

What's the easiest way to run a windows VM and use that VM from my desktop? Do I just RDP into it or is there somethibg more 'direct'?

How well do most applications handle high DPI monitors these days?
I was thinking about upgrading from 1080p to 2560x1440.

Oh no, I should've clarified. It's the case to a computer of mine I've had for years. Compressed air helps, but there's still a layer of dust it doesn't remove. Should I be worried about that?

I don't think high DPI is a problem when you don't need scaling, and you don't need scaling for 1440p at 27'' or so
For windows at least

The monitor I was looking at was 25"
To bump it up to 27", it's an extra $100.

>Should I be worried about that?
Not really.
But if you want it to look a bit nicer you can disassemble the thing and follow 's advice, just make sure everything is properly dry before putting it back together.

I guess it's fine too, as long as you don't have to squint to see shit, it's normal, it all depends on your own perception, just as long as you don't need scaling, it should be fine, unless you want to scale 1440p down to 720p

Alright. Thanks for the help, guys, it was bugging me the moment I looked at it.

how do i turn this shity thee off?

rm -rf ~ thee

i used this on your mom last night, doesnt work for cancer

Oh right, there was one more thing - I saw some dustbunnies/hair in there. How do I get rid of that easily? Just poke around with my finger?

compressier air

Is Sup Forums X 1.12.3.11 Chromium exstension leaking memory for anyone else? Show image on hover is on and it starts to leak memory when I put my mouse on an image.

What should I stick in the fans so they don't spin super-fast?

There's software for that

hold it with a finger

How come when I mirror my display to my TV with an HDMI, it cuts off the borders?

Looks like pic related. Help pls Sup Forums

overscan

there'll be an option somewhere on the tv to disable it

Either your TV is set to 'zoom' or the two screens have a different aspect ratio.

Seedbox
Htpc
Programming box
Console emulator (only for really old ones though)

There's not always an option.

Also sometimes it also turns out your TV is some retarded resolution like 1288x682 and you have to create a custom resolution to get it without overscan and pixel perfect.

Moved my rig from my bedroom to the livingroom this weekend, then connected it to a tv via hdmi, no signal output, tried it with another cable, on various tvs, then tried via vga but nothing still, checked for loose cables but everthing is in place, it's dead isn't it?

The usb dualshock controller I use for my computer is acting weird, when I use the right analog, it acts as if I'm using the triangle, square,etc buttons. The cable is a bit fucked, but do you think that could be the problem? Or is it because I didn't install the vl807 driver that came with it? But even without the driver, all the other buttons work fine.

What does this benchmark result mean? The drive is fairly new, not being written to or read from and has no damaged sectors. I have not ever seen a result like this before.

Anyone here got any experience writing window managers? Should I go for Xlib then port it to Xcb? Is the O'Reilly book the best way to learn? fuck gnu/linux, fml

How do I take out stuff secured by pushpins?

Remove the push pin first

>look for entry level cs jobs
>2+year experience and languages that aren't main stream
What am I suppose to do... when I apply they keep telling me I don't have the qualifications. If I make my own website from scratch will that draw employers to me?

You were supposed to get at least an internship at some point throughout school.

I'm getting this little shit in firefox even though the adobe flash player shows up in my plugins and it's up to date. It's just not working on webpages, anybody know why?

But how? Do I just push down on the pushpin?

wut do?

if i remove font wont let me do to gnome themes and cinnamon etc

With appchanx enabled today the whole site just flashes blank to normal and I cant see anything. Any advice? is this just halloween fucking it up?

Welp. I only knew 3-4 people who were doing internships while school

What's the best way to upload encrypted files to the cloud for backup? Uploading encrypted containers is impractical since they are big and I have a slow connection, and PGP doesn't let me encrypt more than 1 file at the time.

How can I lift the curse of the Tech Skelly?

I seriously get an error for every thing I attempt to install with Ubuntu.

I have yet to sudo apt-get a single shit without missing some sort of file, "cannot be found" or any other error even though I follow internet guides and step to the dot. It's driving me fucking insane.

Do I seriously need to google how to install something, then google what the error messages I get mean, then google how to fix them, to then continue installing first said thing? What is this shit.

I read askubuntu on how to fix a certain problem, and while doing the fix, I get ANOTHER fucking error. Is this shit broken or what?

Pick one or a mix

So because my download folder kept resetting the custom view i googled around and tried this thing here

>/support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17590/automatically-diagnose-and-repair-windows-file-and-folder-problems

... But now this piece of shit "fix" not only completely fucked over the windows explorer window size (every window keeps resetting itself to the standard size no matter what now) it also completely destroyed the file sort order on my desktop and doesn't save it anymore either.

What the fuck? This "fix" actually made things a lot worse. All i know is that i checked the box saying "reset folder view options" and then it reset something which apparently was enough to fuck half the OS over. Do i need to reboot or something for it to work again? The fuck do i do now

Second this.
What elements do you need to block?

Good deal or no?

>You can't downvote yourself on reddit
Why..

If you don't want to read a stupid poorly constructed question about how to construct classes in a game, a guide or example of good oop practice in any language would be appreciated.

Say I have a "screen" object and a "button" object in my "app" class. Should I have the function that draws the button to the screen inside my app class or the button class?

How can I check my displayport version? I have a laptop with a 840M, and I wanna know if I have at least DP 1.2 so I can chain a bunch of monitors.

>Why can't you X on leddit?
Because leddit.

Tab Mix Pro has stopped doing anything in some embedded videos recently, and I don't know what to do. Even when I right click and click on 'mute tab', the icon goes on, but the tab keeps emitting sound. I've tried to uninstall other add-ons, but it hasn't done anything.
It works fine on youtube or other video streaming sites, but some websites don't mute properly anymore.
Anyone ever have this problem before?

Guys, what pen is this?

I know it sounds like a really stupid question, and it is, but I don't know and I don't want to fuck anything up.

pull on it until it comes out

Where can I buy a USB flash drive for a low price?

For real? I guess that's a possible solution. I'll update you if it doesn't work.

alibaba

What makes it so I can sniff wireless packets on my network, but not on a public one? Is there a way to do that anyways without using a rouge AP?

Bookmarked!

Many thanks kind user!

So I'm learning python and want to make a script to crack common codes and ciphers here's what I plan on having binary, hex, decimal, ceaser shift, base64

anything else I should add, just looking for ones that're commonly used

I'm planning to backup a bunch of old VHS cassette tapes I have with this old Dazzle DVS100 I dug up in a box of random shit. I have two options for video, Composite and S-Video. Which would be best to use?

I'm looking for a replacement 1080p panel for my XPS 13, but I can't trust if the listings I'm seeing are legit or not.

Basically, where can I find legit panels?

What is a logical volume and how are they useful for a regular user?

What are some good Android apps for accessing PC through wifi so I can exchange files without needing to connect a cable between phone and PC?

I am not having this problem but my cousin does and I want to help him out.

He has a R9 290 (Reference Cooler) and sometimes when he clicks on a YouTube video his GPU starts increasing temperature until it reaches 100 C and crashes. It doesn't happen with all videos, but sometimes does with random ones. He can game game and do pretty much anything just fine but random videos just makes it crash.

What can this issue be? We have no idea. He might just change the GPU to a GTX 1050 Ti or something, this is a very annoying issue.

How do I insert special characters like %{\ in \newenvironment?

\newenvironment{font}[1]%
{{\fontfamily{#1}\selectfont%}%
{}}

???

turn off hardware acceleration in his web browser

Thanks! I'll tell him to do this. Is this a common issue? Where HA over works the GPU?

So basically I have a usb headset (cloud 2) and the mic just stopped working. How do I know if it's the mic itself or the cord for the headset?

It makes the same low popping noises regardless of if the mic is plugged into it or not if that helps.

happened to me and not to take the piss but I fixed it with one google search, you should try google before asking in sqt

Ok so this didn't fix the issue. It still fucking overheated.

try using html5 player instead of flash, other than that I'm out of ideas - I mean rather than buying a new gpu he could just make a script that youtube-dls new videos from anyone he wants to watch and just run the script once a day

Are computer parts like CPU's, GPU's, Power Supply's, and Ram something that I should buy during Black Friday week or should I just get them now? I hear mixed thing about how good the sales actually are or aren't.

Should I even bother waiting?

Trying out an extension that makes YouTube use HTML5, let's see how it goes.

> youtube-dls
What is this?

you can do it in youtube settings no need for an extension, youtube-dl is software to download youtube videos but you could easily make a script to just download the latest videos fro myoutubers you like

Ah okay, that might work but is just a major inconvenience.

Where can I get a nice high quality Tux penguin plush? I can't find anything good at all, have done a lot of searching.