So after /g telling me to go six core or go home, i just picked up pic related to replace my 6700k

so after /g telling me to go six core or go home, i just picked up pic related to replace my 6700k.

is this /g approved six core? did i do good?????

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/intel-skylake-bug-causes-pcs-to-freeze-during-complex-workloads/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hope you got a new mobo too.

yeah i did. since /g told me to get anything with gamer in the name i ordered pic related.

>X99 ULLTTRRAA GAMMMIINNGGG

in all seriousness i ordered it because it has the least amount of complaints.

stupid level of complaints of asus x99 boards committing banzai after a month or two. just out of no where. no overclocks.

msi new series looks nice. little complaints. but really don't like the dragon shit and unsure of their vrm quality on their lower tier boards. oh and they only have one set of pwm fan headers. the rest of the 4 pin headers are actually standard three pins with the forth pin being a dummy. i have eight pwm fans so i would like to use their fancy pwm feature.

asrock seems like eh. some nice boards but a lot of them use thin pcb's.

asus is currently the only one shipping with all their fan headers being pwm but the gigabyte has the next largest amount. the few remaining i can easily hook up to a simple two way pwm fan splitter. the ULLTRAAA GAMMIINNGGG also uses International Rectifier 3556 vrm's which appear to be currently the best and it appears to be what asus is using and asrock on their higher tier boards.

so even though it screams GAYMER it appears to actually be a pretty solid board. well at least to the reviews i read and user reviews.

oh yeah and to comment more about asus i also went through two z170 gene's. first board had two sata ports commit banzai after TWO WEEKS and the replacement board i received from amazon, which was BRAND SPANKING NEW, had a giant piece of a layer of the pcb missing on the top of the board. as if someone dinged it with one of those voltage controllers when checking the board after production during QC.

replaced it with a gigabyte z170 GAMMIINNGGGG 777777 and only complaint was the bios resetting after every 20th reboot due to it not liking my ram (gskill ddr 3000mhz cas 14). which i can't hold against gigabyte since virtually every z170 board has complaints of users bitching about ram support.

this time around i ordered pic related for my 6800k. stock 2400mhz quad channel ddr4 that my cpu natively supports instead of fancy 3000+ stuff. anyways quad channel 2400 should destroy dual channel 3000+.

so you paid how much exactly to go from 6700k to 6800k???

top lel this

why the fuck did you fall for such a stupid fucking meme

like are you a professional doing heavy duty shit like 4k video rendering? or are you a pro gamer playing shit non-stop on ultra 24/7? if the answer to both of those is no then you got fucking memed lmfao

>didn't wait for the 12-core Zen

No. The currently approved /g setup is twin 2690's.

Going from a 6700k to a 6800k is a generation step back.

>as if someone dinged it with one of those voltage controllers when checking the board after production during QC.
You understand of electronics engineering and manufacturing made me snort water out of my nose.

2690s are a ripoff.

holy shit did DDR4 increase in price. this was back in june

and current price. almost double.

*Your

not realy. single threaded performance between broadwell and skylake is what? 5% at most? considering it gains me two extra core for a total of four extra threads makes it far better choice. i originally wanted a "6800k" but at the time i picked up my 6700k, broadwell-e wasn't out yet. so i went with a 6700k to tide me over until broadwell-e. i just waited till now for hopefully most of the kinks have been ironed out.

i was one of the first early adopters of skylake and the kinks... oh the kinks where horrible.

yeah its pretty insane how much its gone up.

amd already stated highest core count for desktop is 8 cores. anything above is opteron territory. with seeing zen at most hitting broadwell level of performance, i can have zen today from intel.

>opteron

Shitlake to Broadjew. Good job faggot your vapid consumerism is killing our future generations.

What kinks do you speak of?

ram compatibility and usb 3 ports dropping out. then there was the microcode bug that caused skylake processors to lock up under heavy loads, like prime95.

It was only p95, and only if you set up the parameters just right. [spoiler][/spoiler]orry about the ram, sorry about the usb3, it sounds like a mobo problem. or pebkek

actually it wasn't prime95 only

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/intel-skylake-bug-causes-pcs-to-freeze-during-complex-workloads/

> A particular exponent size, 14,942,209, has been found to cause the system crashes.
>While the bug was discovered using Prime95, it could affect other industries that rely on complex computational workloads, such as scientific and financial institutions. GIMPS noted that its Prime95 software "works perfectly normal" on all other Intel processors of past generations.

actually it wasn't even noticed outside a lab somewhere
key word: could

it was noticed outside a lab. like the article mentioned, a lab noticed it, passed it on to gimps, then gimps along with a shit ton of stress testers noticed it.

it isn't could. it was a pro-foundling yes when exponent 14,942,209 was calculated.

and intel rightfully fixed it via a microcode update after it came out. for many of those who used prime who hit the bug figured it was a failed overclock.

it was quite annoying. you can shit all you want on enthusiast and overclocking but it was a kink for many of those who purchased 6600ks and 6700ks.

Look at 90% of benchmarks and the six core barely beats the 6700k in huge multithreaded applications, and loses a shit ton of single core performance

congrats OP you fucked up

another annoyance was skylake systems running nvidia video cards in linux with up-to-date systems. constant lock-elision related crashes. no program would kill cleanly. they would always crash when exited. either had to recompile glib without elision support or wait for nvidia to fix their drivers which took them months to do.

its called clock for clock. of course a 6700k will have stronger single threaded performance when its stock 4ghz - 4.2ghz boost while the 6800k is 3.4ghz stock, 3.6ghz. once clock for clock its nearly 5% in single threaded scenarios. there isn't a 6800k out there that can't hit 4.2ghz which would put it on par with a 4.1ghz skylake.

at most a skylake can out overclock by an extra 200-300mhz which is truly nothing.

I dunno man i bought a 6600k the 3rd week it was out.

Only trouble I had was with Linux.

Maybe you were just looking for some reason to spend money.

looking for some reason? what? i waited over a year to switch over to x99. there are no more kinks really with skylake. i literately switched over to x99 because i wanted to.

all i said is i waited for so long to switch over to the 6800k because i wanted to WAIT to make sure there were not as many annoyances as there was with skylake when it was released.

got a i5 6600k recently, did I get memed on?
just making sure