Löve

I want to learn game dev using löve. Is it Sup Forums approved? or is Lua a meme language?

Other urls found in this thread:

love2d.org/
freegamedev.net/wiki/Scripting#Scripting_languages
twitter.com/AnonBabble

love2d.org/

Enjoy your game getting ripped because your code doesn't get compiled

yeah like what happened to quake 3 and half life right

Because no one cared enough back then.

no one fucking cares now

I like it. Lua is really nice and surprisingly powerful. It really says a lot that most people's only complaint is that array indexing starts at 1.

Lua is not good for gamedev, unless you're just making something simple like Snake

>muh code
Your gaymcode is worthless without assets anyway.

Serious question, what's wrong with it? Is it the lack of OO? You can easily do OO stuff yourself since you have metatables.

Lua is a neat language.

Sure, it's not going to be anywhere near the levels of C, but for an interpreted language, it's once of the faster ones.
Also LuaJIT is pretty good.

>Is it the lack of OO?
Not having OOP is a good thing.

It doesn't have custom types. Tables are a shit tier replacement.
The GC isn't fast enough for bigger games, yes, also the one in LuaJIT.
Dynamic typing - nuff said.
No namespaces.
Garbage tier import mechanism.
Debugging questionable.

Result: At best for scripting game events. But even there are better alternatives in some scenarios.

It's my favorite game framework!

Be warned, however, that it's much lighter-weight than an engine -- things like your code structure are left entirely up to you, while Love2d just handles the OpenGL dirty work and such. I personally have a lot more fun working on Love2d projects than using an engine like Unity... but on the other hand I can often work much faster in Unity.

I strongly recommend Love2d if you actually want to learn game dev. If you just want game dev to be easy (ie. if you're actually more into design than dev), give Unity a look even though it's proprietary C# trash.

>But even there are better alternatives in some scenarios.
name one (1)

>lua meme
Lua with LuaJIT is fast as fuck, it's not a meme

I'll give you a list instead. Which names only a part and is out of date, but it is a good beginning:
freegamedev.net/wiki/Scripting#Scripting_languages

As long as the script doesn't do real work. Which you aren't supposed to do in a scripting language anyway.

You say that now, but you haven't seen the scope of the wannabe indie devs.

Most of them flock to things like Game Maker because they don't know jack shit about coding, and their literal-object-based programming system makes it super easy for them to create a semblance of a game. If free code with things that work are out there, they'll take it, throw on new textures, and call it a new game.

Hell, many of the RPG Maker-based horror titles change nothing about the base game, simply changing graphical assets, throwing in a ton of events, and then calling it a day.

If those assets are good enough to survive the market, I'm OK with that.
Given the assumption that they at least have to integrate the ripped off code well enough to compete.

In most cases, that integration is already done for them.

RPG Maker is especially notorious for this, it's entire IDE being built around a strict notion that what you're building revolves around the base game assets they give you with very little legroom to branch out (at least with VX, I have yet to try out the newest iteration). With a simple menu system, inventory system, player movement, interaction, and assets, the least a player would have to do is set up landscapes, triggers, and events to make something simple in the engine.

AngelScript is decent

Doesn't matter. Crap games like that doesn't survive the market. Hell, you can't even copy code there that does something worth of mention...
I don't even know someone that knows someone that knows someone buying crap games like that.

Might aswell use PyGame

pygame is slow as shit though, last i checked, and the docs aren't as good

LÖVE's documentation is one of the best things about it.

I'm a Perl guy but Lua is based af, if it only had better docs...