Dear Sup Forumsentoomen, I want to get an "it just werks"-distro

Dear Sup Forumsentoomen, I want to get an "it just werks"-distro.
Currently on Ubuntu, not very good with Linux yet, but don't want a botnet OS..
Will use for programming and web browsing mainly.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MN8dVJ6_AL8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Install Gentoo

Elementary OS is pretty good

Arch (GNU/)Linux

unbuntu is the only reliable choice

Fedora. Name aside, everything about it is great.

debian

i just had trouble installing the proprietary nvidia driver, if that's your thing

Ubuntu is the best. If you can't deal with Ubuntu then Linux is not for you.

Ubuntu is fine and is, by far, your best choice.

The other common beginner distro is probably Linux Mint. I can't personally vouch for or against Elementary OS but I always hear pretty good things about it.

The biggest downside of moving away from something like Ubuntu is that, because of its popularity, it has FAR more support than anything else our there and you'll basically always find some kind of result when you search for answers.

Slightly up from base level would be Fedora. I sometimes see openSUSE mentioned but can't say anything about it personally.

Next is probably Debian, the most stable shit out there.

Arch / elementary os works pretty fine

if people answer a "it just werks" type question with arch or gentoo then immediately ignore anything they say — horrible choices for new users.

I started out with Antergos, I think it's pretty good.

Ubuntu is fine, if you don't know much about linux don't just spout nonsense.

Any Ubuntu without Unity (ex. Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE), Linux Mint, Fedora or Debian.
Don't fall for Arch/Gentoo meme.

>everything about it is great
>dnf

Fedora is pretty good. I'm an XFCE shill though

DEBIAN
E
B
I
A
N

Manjaro/Antergos

Heard a lot of good stuff about Fedora, what makes it so good?

I ain't falling for another meme!

Tell me Möre, why?

Perfect for Loonix noobs.

Yeah It's for my MemeSI Laptop, it got some Nvidia graphics card in it.

I can deal with Ubuntu. It's smooth, sexy and fast. BUT It's owned by an ex amerikanski spy that used to build botnets. Therefor, naah plz.

Isn't mint arch? Or am I dumb af now desu?
I will check out elementary and Fedora as they are two that I keep hearing about.

>Freetard wannabe SJW distro
Fuck off, *nuntus are fine

dnf is much quicker than apt

Slackware

What makes Debian a good choice?
Also, where would one start for actually learning about this OS of Freedom? Read manuals/help files? Just use it and duckduckgo how to do things?

Xubuntu LTS, don't fall for debian meme

Get out

>Debian a good choice?
Shit choice. Debian is a freetard distro, which means your non-free drivers will not work by default

Get Ubunte MATE or Xubuntu

*tips*

I wish the wiki was a bit better, but Arch wiki does the job anyways - since they both are up to date

Any operating system with a lot of documentation and a larger community is easy to use.

The primary difficulty with linux is the hardware you use with it. if everything you're going to buy or have checks out then you won't have any more issues than windows.

Ubuntu is probably the most idiot-proof and many people find the transfer from Windows easy.

Linux mint is popular.

I love debian. I don't see how it's not more popular. I just put it on a chink mini PC and it just worked™.

Any OS will work fine for browsing, programming, music/video. If you want to absolutely certain you're not going to run into problems that take hours to fix then get ubuntu

The devs at elementary do work hard to make it just werk

Here is a podcast of the recent release
youtu.be/MN8dVJ6_AL8

There's nothing "botnet"-ish about Ubuntu anymore, not since the Amazon lens was removed in 16.04 LTS.

If you had concerns about their approach to copyright that might be another matter, but no, there are no significant privacy concerns with it.

Be aware some of the ones you've been suggested are worse: for example, Mint can't secure their way out of a paper bag, a bit of an issue if they're signing binary repos.

Manjaro

Ubuntu, Mint and PCLinuxOS are the three newbie friendly distros. Of the three, only the last one is free of systemd. Your choice.

>i just had trouble installing the proprietary nvidia driver
I use Debian to program for GPGPUs and I've never had any big issue with the proprietary drivers.

The worst I ever had to do was to use jessie-backports for CUDA 7.5.

Any OS from the Debian family should be fine.
Debian for rock solid, well tested OS, but older software.
Ubuntu for "new, but not too new" with good community.

ubuntu if you dont want to deal with the OS too much.

>posting an edited version
Arch should be in the last panel you CIA nigger