/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

in8sworld.net/blog/archives/3969
fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html
alienvault.com/blogs/security-essentials/the-mirai-botnet-tip-of-the-iot-iceberg?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=THN&utm_content=Mirai-Blog
puppylinux.com/
wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh#A.24RANDOM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

when does thanksgiving break start for americans?

Daily reminder to fire up GIMP and create some OC for our /wg/ thread: (especially you, the guy who made the arc themed papes)

>tfw slowly falling for the fedora Xfce theme

What's the most schway distro?

I've been having trouble finding resources about how to make persistent live USB distro images. A regular one is obviously easy, but the very few tutorials about persistence I've seen have been absolute shit and only for Ubuntu.

in8sworld.net/blog/archives/3969

fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

>uninstall Xfeces
fixed your troubles breh

idk i'm not american
LOL
*eats a thanksgiving turkey*
*violates american culture*

's*
oh btw what's the best distro around here i'd like to be one of the cool ones if that's okay with the cool ones already in place aka the powers that be.

and yeah, i don't like mème shit like ubuntu or anything similar to it so please non of that shit please

probably around the week of the 13th

non americans aren't allowed in this thread.
i'm an honorary american.

>i'm an honorary american.
why are you awake so early?

Damn, that Fedora one looks exactly what I was hoping for. I'll have to try it out tomorrow. Thanks, user!

Question: if I install from a persistent image all of my tweaks and data should transfer to the install automatically, right?

Gentoo

I don't have a sleep cycle one would consider normal so yeah, that's probably why my friend

I broke Pulseaudio somehow. I reinstalled alsamixer, now it works but no devices show up. How do I purge and reinstall it all

Here ya go:

Ii möcht nur rasch öpis zwüschewörfä. Säb, wo du als Linux bezeichnisch, isch eigentlii GNU/Linux, odr wien ichs sit Neustem nenne, GNU plus Linux. Linux sälber isch keii Betriebssüschtem, sondern einfach ä witerii freii Komponente vomene vollumfänglich funktionstüchtigä GNU Süschtem, wo vo de GNU Kärnbibliotheke, Shell Utensilie und anderä wichtigä Süschtemkomponentä nützlich gmacht wird und as vollständiges OS darstellt, wies definiert wird vuu POSIX.

Vilii Computer-Nutzer nützen jede Tag a modifiziertii Version vum GNU Süschtem, ohni sich dessä überhaupt bewusst z sii. Durch eigenartigii Umständ isch es passiert, dass d Version vuu GNU, wo hützutags wit verbreitet isch, als Linux bezeichnet wird, und vilii Nutzer devo sin sich gar nöd im Klarä, dass es eigentli es GNU Sütschtem isch, entwicklät vum GNU Projekt.

Es git ächt es Linux, und dia Lüt nützen's au, aber es isch ebä nur en Teil vuu ihrem Süschtem. Linux isch dr Kärnel: z Programm im Süschtem, wo d Ressourcä vo dr Maschinä dä Programm, wo am Laufä sin, tut zueteilä. Dr Kärnel isch en essenziellä Teil vumenä Betriebssüschtem, aber für sich alleii zwäcklos; är cha nur funktionierä zemä mit amenä komplettä Betriebssüschtem. Linux wird normalerwiis igsetzt zemä mit em GNU Betriebssüschtem: z ganze Süschtem isch grundsätzlich GNU zemä mit Linux, odr GNU/Linux. Alli vo de sogenanntä Linux Distributionä sind eigentlii Distributionä vu GNU/Linux!

How can I stream music from spotify using audacious music player?

>have to use web players instead of dealing with some ugly as fuck music players
jfc is everyone who develops for desktops just bad at design

Saved into my pasta collection. Thanks!

Bavarian version when?

what does my computer mean by this?

you're being hacked, switch to google as your search provider now before the jews get to you

clean that rainbow vomit off your screen

>arc in the main repository

Mhmm.

how to disable titlebars in i3?

I have a question about Linux that is difficult to just google.

Here is a scenario on Windows 7. Say I have two USB ports on my computer. If I plug, say, a webcam into USB port 1 you'll see a message on the taskbar saying that it's locating the drivers and installing it. After that, if I unplug the webcam and plug it back into that same port, it doesn't have to do a whole installation process anymore, it just knows the webcam. However, if I unplug the webcam and put it into USB port 2, it needs to find the drivers and install it again. I feel like Windows is very messy with handling USB peripherals.

What happens if you do all this on a Linux machine? How smart is it at handling a webcam being used on USB port1 on Monday, then putting it on USB port 2 on Tuesday?

new_window 1pixel
new_float 1pixel

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

It won't matter, it will work.
Check the "lsusb" program in your terminal emulator of choice.

Perfect, love you.

thanks

nice, god bless you

Any more tips for i3? I'm pretty new to it, (managed it finally to compile i3-gaps) but I've no idea what I am doing.

What is the most aesthetic Debian based OS?

I don't want to go into arch for the simple reason that I can't rice for shit. I just want everything preinstalled and just werking.

I'm thinking of either elementary or kubuntu

Whoa, I've been searching for this forever, thanks!

i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html

kubuntu with pantheon

Are there any good GIMP guides and tutorials?

I can easily find them for PS for a specific thing; not so with GIMP.

Just enjoy the ride brother ;)

How do I change the power off text from Shut Down... instead to say Oy vey shut it down?

Depends on the WM/DE my 'mate' :)
what are you rocking so to speak?

>I barely understand what I'm using but I must use it for shitty meme purposes how do

Unity and compiz

This completed my config. Now I can finally enjoy this ICCCM and EWMH compliant, X window manager,

P E R F E C T

epic

upvoted

How can I use lemonbar instead of i3bar?

Niggers, get bspwm, i3 is babby tier lacking ebin features.

nah mah 'nigguh' bspwhatever a shit!!!! it sucks balls

why is this thread so great? i'm not even od'ed on caffeine and it's still pretty fuckin' great.

How to get HP F300 scanner to work in arch?
I've installed hplib and SANE.
Scanimage -L doesn't detect it, and when I try hpscan I get
error: hp-scan requires the Python Imaging Library (PIL). Exiting.
But PIL is installed for both python2 and python3.
Any idea?

Ok faggets, please help me improve my workflow.

Let's say I want to run expand over file1.

expand file1 > file1

doesn't work so I need to cripple myself in doing

expand file1 > file2
mv file2 file1

This doesn't look right. Please tell me there's a non-faggot way to do it.

#!
>rip

expand file1 | sponge file1
sponge is part of moreutils

pretty sure you could also write a shell script which works with /tmp/ files under the hood

TMP=$(expand file1) echo $TMP > file1

>What is the most aesthetic Debian based OS?
out of the box? bunsenlabs
>that I can't rice for shit
you can rice every distro, "you can only rice arch" is a myth

Why are there so many memes around arch?
- lightweight
actually bloated
- simple
actually complicated timesink
Like you said:
- riceable
like any other distro

What the shit? Why are people shilling arch this much?

>you can rice every distro
He didn't say you couldn't, just that he doesn't know how and so wants a distro that already looks good out of the box

monkey 1 discovers a riced desktop showing the arch logo, thinks arch looks nice, installs it
monkey 2 discovers a riced desktop showing the arch logo, thinks arch looks nice, installs it
etc
blame original monkey who fell for the arch meme

How do I make a persistent usb drive with alpine linux?

Oh boy, here we go again.
>alpine
Get rid of it. It's a meme distro. Busybox is for embeded systems only, it's also insecure: alienvault.com/blogs/security-essentials/the-mirai-botnet-tip-of-the-iot-iceberg?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=THN&utm_content=Mirai-Blog

I heard it was a good distro for usb.What should I use then?

>tfw to intelligent to use linux

For usb? Maybe look into puppy linux. Runs completly from RAM. puppylinux.com/

very nice repeating digits, goy

gentoo

Lel

I would just like to interject for one moment. The operating system you are suggesting for me to install, and rather commandingly might I add, will in fact, not directly solve my current problem at hand, and will actually cause me to ask further questions about the difficult process involved in installing it. Gentoo is a very nice operating system itself, but I'd rather you directly assist me in my quest to solve my current predicament.

I understand that many computer users run the Gentoo Linux operating system, and I realize they may enjoy it greatly and are not currently experiencing the current problem that I have whilst using my non-Gentoo operating system. Through a peculiar turn of events, I have noticed an enormous amount of users make the "Install Gentoo" suggestion, but many of its users are not aware that this suggestion, in most cases, is actually not an "easy-fix" to every single computer-related error.

There really are reasons for installing Gentoo, and there are people using it, but it is just for the few users who choose to compile their own source code locally according to their chosen configuration. Gentoo is just another operating system: the problems I am experiencing will not undeviatingly be solved if I make the choice to install it. All these so-called "Install Gentoo" suggestions I am noticing should cease immediately.

>tfw you've seen Mr. Trump use linux at multiple occasions

sounds like you need to install gentoo

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Install gentoo

Yeah? Guess what? I don't give a f*ck about leftist opinions.
*spits on your face*

nothing that can't be fixed by installing gentoo

*unsheathes katanas*
*teleports behind you*

*uses time acceleration magic [x6]*
*takes out a usmc kabar*
*turns around and puts the knife at the arrival location of your throat*
bitch please...

*notices the knife but doesn't do anything about it*
*cuts off your head as the knife enters my throat*
*sheds a single tear as I die above your corpse, finally together with you*

Why did it have to be this way user

Any true shell script hackers here? I need a way to generate a random number between 1 and 60 without using the shell builtin RANDOM (needs to be POSIX sh compatible).

awk -v min=1 -v max=60 'BEGIN{srand(); print int(min+rand()*(max-min+1))}'

shuf -i1-60 -n1

You versus the guy she told you not to worry about

'topkek'

desu senpai
//random.py
#!/usr/bin/python3
from random import randint
print(randint(1,60))

The problem with awk is it seed only every new second, so when you try to generate a random number with a sleep below 1s you get the same number.
shuf isn't POSIX

>#!/usr/bin/python3
>not #!/usr/bin/env python3
lern2code faggot

Sup Forums confirmed tech illiterate lol

>please do my homework

shuf is as POSIX as awk, they are both part of the GNU coreutils which is itself mostly POSIX.

(You)
But no, I'm just a NEET looser, trying to write good code.

shuf is posix faggot, read the docs

Actually awk isn't even part of the coreutils, so it's more likely the system will have the coreutils than awk.

I have a flu,suggest some fun things to do.

>shuf is posix faggot

That's what I said.

wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh#A.24RANDOM